THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    State Dept Travel Advisory Regarding taking OTC Medicines into Zambia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State Dept Travel Advisory Regarding taking OTC Medicines into Zambia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody heard of this? We took enough OTC drugs to start a small pharmacy last fall, including a bunch of Benadryl. This would ruin your safari in a hurry. This is from a US State Dept travel advisory that is linked into Shakari's website.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS:

NOTE: Recently, the Zambian Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) has detained a number of Americans for possession of Benadryl and other over-the-counter medications which have contained small quantities of diphenhydramine, an active ingredient that is on Zambia’s list of controlled substances. Although unaware of these restrictions, Americans have been charged with drug trafficking offenses, had their passports confiscated, and been jailed. As a result, any American visiting Zambia should consider leaving all non-prescription medications behind. When traveling with prescription medications, Americans should bring a doctor’s prescription and ensure that the medication is in its original bottle. Any American stopped by the DEC for possession of over-the-counter medications should contact the Embassy at 0211-250-955 as soon as possible.

http://travel.state.gov/travel...tw/cis/cis_1062.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOTE: Recently, the Zambian Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) has detained a number of Americans for possession of Benadryl and other over-the-counter medications which have contained small quantities of diphenhydramine, an active ingredient that is on Zambia’s list of controlled substances.

Benadryl, a controlled substance? Roll Eyes

What legally retarded bureaucrat came up with that?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was ephedrine (Sudafed) I would understand as it is a precursor for the manufacture of methamphetamine. But Benadryl??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is and isn't a controlled substance varies from country to country.

We had to make Japanese and Korean pharmacies off-limits for soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines because anybody could walk out of the shop with an OTC cold remedy that could get you 5-10 in Leavenworth if you took a piss test at the wrong time.

A nice simple rule like "don't take any medicines with opiates" was too complicated for the crowd I kept having to stop from knocking over vending machines in Asia because they couldn't understand why they wouldn't take quarters.

So we just told them to get all the drugs they needed at the exchange.

And the ones who couldn't listen still ended up in Leavenworth.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually benadryl if used improperly is capable of giving you some nasty side effects.

I suspect its on the list because its injectable and has sedating properties. We use it all the time as a sedative/sleep agent.

Now I know. I will just use a whole script pad up before I go next! Its not so bad when you can write your own... dancing

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Actually benadryl if used improperly is capable of giving you some nasty side effects.

I suspect its on the list because its injectable and has sedating properties. We use it all the time as a sedative/sleep agent.

Now I know. I will just use a whole script pad up before I go next! Its not so bad when you can write your own... dancing

Minnisota State Medical Regs allows for writing a script to oneself?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

Minnisota State Medical Regs allows for writing a script to oneself?

Licensed physicians can purchase drugs without "prescriptions". Controlled substances on schedule II (morphine, oxycodone, demerol, fentanyl, etc.)can be obtained with the proper DEA forms; all scheduled (controlled) drugs must be stored and records maintained in accordance with strict rules. A physician may not write himself nor his close family members a prescription for a schedule II drug (nor schedule III in some states).
I suspect that the problem with Benedryl/diphenhydramine in Zambia is because some bureaucrat has mistaken it with some similiar sounding controlled substance, such as benzadrine.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
[ I suspect that the problem with Benedryl/diphenhydramine in Zambia is because some bureaucrat has mistaken it with some similiar sounding controlled substance, such as benzadrine.

Karibu Africa! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A leaglly retarded AFRICAN bureaucrat, of course. I'm surprised you asked.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:

A leaglly retarded AFRICAN bureaucrat, of course. I'm surprised you asked.

Yeah, silly me. Someone should tell these dolts that billions of people world wide have taken Benadryl without a prescription for the last 50 years.

If it had any abuse potential at all, I'd have customers paying big cash on Saturday night for it, like my Oxycontin experiences. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to writing medical prescriptions to yourself, to the best of my knowledge it is perfectly legal.

I have been told its even legal with controlled substances.

Ethics are another matter. One can be hauled before the board of Medicine for one's prescribing habits and have the privilege modified/pulled- somehow I doubt the board in Minnesota would give a darn about a benadryl prescription though.

If a physician or pharmacist wants to get a supply of controlled substances for other's use, there is a separate set of reporting forms as Steve alluded to.

I may have gotten my choice of smiley a little confused.

That being said, I think its kind of interesting what various countries find as being "controlled substances," and I wouldn't be too surprised to find that what's on the list is based on what the customs inspector's family needs at any moment. I will say that I don't argue with those folks, and I've never had a problem. I had benadryl with me when I went to Zambia last year and was given no problems with anything, but the gentleman inspecting me did note the part of the passport that said "Physician" and promptly became very polite (as opposed to businesslike) and referred to me as Doctor or Sir (as I had been referring to him as Sir). Politeness gets you a long way, and I have found that Africans in general are a VERY polite people. Unlike this country....

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote