Find
Notify
Tools

Your First African Species Taken
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
Kind of slow right now and I thought this sounded interesting to see and hear from everyone.

What was the first Africa species you put on the salt? Who with?

My first trip to Africa was with the Rudman's at Blaauwkrantz.

I hunted with PH Barry Long.

I did not purchase a package, just wanted to pay the daily rate and go hunting to see what we could find.

As luck would have it the first species we came across was a trophy Warthog boar and before long he was on the salt.

By far the largest body of any Warthog I have been fortunate to take.

I hunted in Levi's and Dr. Marten shoes for the first few days as none of my luggage or rifles arrived until Day 8 out of 10.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1st was a black wildebeest with Joof Lamprecht of Hunters Namibia.
Earlier I had missed an opportunity at a monstrous blue bull eland, but I didn't care, I WAS IN AFRICA!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first was an elephant bull. I did not set out to shoot an elephant the first hour of the first day of my first safari but that's what happened. I'll freely admit being in shock for a couple of days after that. My PH was Robby Martin.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Wildebeest 1996 with Ronnie McFarland PH, Micheleti-Bates later Johann Calitz Safaris, Okavango Delta, Kubu Camp

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Buffalo with Mark Butcher of Matupula Hunters, Zim '95.

To have those days back again, huh? (the exchange rate was $7Zim to $1USD).

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Red Hartebeest, Gras Ranch Namibia

The addiction was born

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Warthog with Nic Roets in the Limpopo RSA.Had a blast with a great guy on the last hunt of his year.

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Kudu on Day 1 with Werner Lewies and Barend Swart of Motschwere Safaris in Limpopo RSA.

It should have been an Impala but kept getting winded by the animals or afraid the projectile will go through the first and get a second Impala.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala with Theo Demarillac in the Limpopo.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
2006, Namibia, Astra with Thomas Goldbeck, Red Hartebeast, Steyr Safari, .375H&H

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala on the first morning of my first safari in 1988 on Sondelani with PH Arthur Jardine, a former Selous Scout. Later that afternoon, I took my first and still my only klipspringer. Both shot with a model 70 in 375

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first African animal was the first kudu I ever saw. I was hunting with Unico Safaris and we were specifically going after kudu. I turned a couple of very nice Impala as that little voice told me to pass. Cassie Potgeiter my PH spotted him and he was browsing in a tree. Cassie asked if I had his shoulder and I said no but I have his neck. He measured 55 1/2 inches. I was ecstatic. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

Red Hartebeest, Gras Ranch Namibia

The addiction was born

Aint that funny Heym....I shot my first African animal at Gras too (a blue wildebeest)....and Errol Lambrechts was my PH... Smiler

Errol is a very likeable man and a good PH..

Addiction it is...

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland in '07 in S. Africa.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Impala ram, Natal (South Africa), 2001. Lookimg at him right now. It was a great way to start, and my PH (Tyrone Milne) did a great job making it special for myself as well as my son Brett who was 11 at the time and took his first African animal.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cape Buffalo

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aint that funny Heym....I shot my first African animal at Gras too (a blue wildebeest)....and Errol Lambrechts was my PH...

Errol is a very likeable man and a good PH..

Addiction it is...

jumping all the BS in the political forum and this whole time we chewed the same dirt...

wildebeest are probably brothers...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Zebra - Namibia 2008, PH Francois Marais - Ndumu Hunting Safaris (Karl Stumpfe)

301 yards - 300 grain TSX from my Model 70 -375 H&H

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
September 14, 2016 Save Valley Conservancy Mokore Ranch Cape Buffalo PH Gary Duckworth

I was lucky enough to go on my first safari with the Duckworth clan in Zim last fall. After a couple years of research and meeting Gary Duckworth at DSC I got booked early in 2016 with Mark Young. I couldn't have chose a more spectacular area to go, my brother and I killed 19 animals in 11 days of hunting, many exceptional trophies included. I shot this big old worn out dugga boy on the third day of our hunt. His ears are torn to shreds and he had that big white spot on his side from numerous lion attacks I am sure. He was everything I hoped for in a buff, old beat up and grey in the face, broken and worn tips, couldn't have been more thrilled.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NYALA in Kwa Zulu Natal in 2001.

Did a full body mount.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Red Hartebeest in Namibia in 2009. Part of a 12 animal first safari. Heading back to Zim in 3 weeks. The desire just keeps growing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcass:
Red Hartebeest in Namibia in 2009. Part of a 12 animal first safari. Heading back to Zim in 3 weeks. The desire just keeps growing.

It's called addiction!!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Cape Buffalo, Selous, October, 2010 with Con Van Wyk

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hartman's Zebra Stallion, 10 years ago today, with Jan Duplessis, Sebra Safaris Namibia. 150 yards, prone across a sand river bed.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first safari was with Onduri Safaris just south of Etosha and my first African animal was, appropriately, a Damara dik-dik. Ever since, the better part of nearly every day is spent dreaming of the next time my boots are on the ground...

Posts: 298 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Am I the only guy here who's first African species was a baboon? We hadn't yet started my safari, but were eating lunch at Rosslyn Safaris main camp where the Johnstones and Vincent's lived. Peter Johnstone asked me to go get a rifle and return quietly. When I got back, he had the doors opened onto the veranda and instructed me to crawl out and wait until the baboons climbed the fence and were at the orange tree they were raiding. I started shooting at the appropriate time and we had baboons running everywhere. Then, the next morning we headed to Deka to begin my safari and the first 'proper' animal I shot was a zebra.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first African game was a good buffalo taken with Hilton Nichols and Mokore Safaris in Chewore South way back in 07.

The start of an addiction, and I get back over there on Sunday.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
30 minutes into the first hunting day in Africa.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Warthog, Limpopo/RSA, PH Tinus Lindeque - Mkolo game farm.

Torbjørn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Buffalo with PH Dylan Cloete, Saeed as the gracious host. Walter as my trusty back up and bunky.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rune Hallgeir
posted Hide Post
Silver medal Kudu at Kwalata Wildernes in 2004.
My PH was Bothes van der Merwe, and later on this week Bart Visser was my PH.
I used a Sauer 202 in caliber 3006.
and I also got bitten by the terrible Africa virus.

SCI Official measurer.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Hartmann's mountain zebra in Namibia with Vaughan Fulton.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first morning of my first African Safari. 2005 in Northern Namibia. My PH was very excited about this one. Of course it was basically the first Springbok I had ever seen.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Spring bok in the kalahari desert 1983. Hunted with Terri Palmer with Michelti Bates

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark you beat me with your bull! My first animal in Africa was an ele cow, 1st day, 1st hour!

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
My first was an elephant bull. I did not set out to shoot an elephant the first hour of the first day of my first safari but that's what happened. I'll freely admit being in shock for a couple of days after that. My PH was Robby Martin.

Mark

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Buffalo with PH Dylan Cloete, Saeed as the gracious host. Walter as my trusty back up and bunky.

Man, those are a lot bigger than that dinky chital you shot with me. But that was a good hunt too, Tony. I will forever remember waking up at dawn, having coffee (is Glenda's friend Paul? I can't remember) and listening to the London Olympics on the radio when Bolt won either the 100 or 200 m.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springbok ram East Cape Tollie Jordan's outfit.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was a jackal. Hit him running shot off the truck (PH told me to whack him, so I did). Shortly after I shot a red hartebeest.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blesbok in Namibia with Donnie VanEllewe. That was in 2005

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Mine was five years ago, hunting with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris, at the tender age of 65. I used a Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM to down this 40" Gemsbok bull at 224 yards.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote