Find
Notify
Tools

Your First African Species Taken
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This thread is great. I'm really surprised at how many have shot DG first instead of the obligatory impala, springbok, etc.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Your First African Species Taken

Ethiopian bird of some sort, no doubt, with my .375 catty and a rock. With a .375 Wby in RSA, a warthog was my first big game kill. PH Pieter Diedricks, Mabelingwane Safaris.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First was a wing shot, guinea fowl near Maseru, Lesotho in 1970. Finally got to big game in Zambia, the Mulobezi with Piet Swanepoel in 1984. Sable was just over 45" and made a beginner African hunter.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Will let all of you know when I get back from my first trip to Africa in September.

Posts: 793 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

Doves and pigeons in South Africa 2014 - using a hammer SXS WW2 trophy gun!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
This has been a fun post to follow along on. Thanks to everyone for responding. I am really surprised how many people started off with a Big 5 species. Kudos to you! I am jealous; I still don't have any of the Big 5. Hopefully someday and I hope it is sooner than later. Back to the Dark Continent in 45 days.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok shot at 120 yards on the Eastern Cape, hunting with Victor Watson of Karoo Wild Safaris.

Posts: 6776 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo. Matetsi 1. Gideon Watts.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red hartebeest in Namibia with Christi Liebenburg of Hatari Safaris

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
2005 Greater Kudu Namibia.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
First animal, bait Impala.
First Trophy. Leopard. Same day, first day.

I was on a plains game hunt. Go figure.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin375
posted Hide Post
My first African species hunted was a blesbok shot in 2012 in Namibia with my PH Beon Van Niekerk.

posted Hide Post

2013- in the BVC with John Sharp. Sterling Davenport 35 Whelen- 200 gr TSX

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photo of the zebra.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Zebra first day with a borrowed 6.5X57 Mauser rifle, it had to be 100 years old. Misfired about every fourth shot!!!

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok at Kanana Safaris w/PH JP Bekker

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Cape buffalo, 1983, Zimbabwe's Matetsi, Westwood Wildlife Safaris, Fanie Pretorius outfitter, Rob Martin PH.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cape Eland, 1995....358 STA.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra, Lower Lupande, Luangwa Valley,Zambia, 1992. .375 H&H Mauser, Still hangs on my dining room wall.