New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your First African Species Taken
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Impala in Limpopo 4 years ago tomorrow. Hunted with Isan van Zyl of Eulalie Safaris...375 H&H out of my Model 70

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaukrantz, East Cape....Impala, 1999. Took a total of 16 animals, first of 16 trips over.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impala, 1994 with Paul Jelonek, Bundu Safaris Zimbabwe.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first was a monster of a Blue Wildebeast with Matabula Safaris at Rooiport in 2003. Got the African bug bad.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Near Matetsi in Zim, 2006. Daylight hyena while looking for buff. PH was Spike Claassen. Always had good sucess with him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blur wildebeest. Henry DeSchmit, Irene ranch.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First day, first hour, my PH Paul Kruger says (while looking for black wildebeest), "Fancy a blesbok?"

It turned into a bit of a rodeo with my poor shooting, but a blesbok was my first African animal on my first safari last year in 2016.

I definitely had a list of animals I wanted, but I also told them I wouldn't be saying no very much.

The only animal I wanted that I didn't take was an eland, but it was really my decision, as I hadn't wanted a red lechwe, but had a ton of fun stalking them with a bow. And after I killed a good bull, I told my PH I couldn't afford an eland now. Smiler

Had a ton of fun, and going back to SA in 2018.

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala Ram, 175 yards, pre 64 Win 70 375 H&H, Mayogi Safaris, Eatern Cape South Africa, PH Dirk Dorfling 2015

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Buffalo with Mafigeni safaris 2003 with Claude Kleynhans at Klaserie

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Impala-2002. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

Cape Buffalo-Chewore South

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra in the save in 2010.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always wondered who your PH was in your Avatar...I should have known Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I was with Jim Hackiewicz in South Africa. Our first day at camp. Sighted in rifles, not much daylight left, "Are you ready to hunt right now?" "Sure, let's go!"

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blesbok in RSA, Limpopo, with the late Christo Kaiser in 2005. Hunting with Jerry Hoover.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
14 Years ago blesbok hunting with The Legend Scott Van Zyl Rest In Peace ole Buddy

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of really cool pics / stories, I just wish I could go to Africa!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usangu Flats 1967-68 2 Kirks Dik-Dik.

Shot one, walked up to it only to find a second dik-dik right behind him. To this date, my only double on mammals.

Hard to believe how fast time flies. Doesn't seem that long ago. Enjoy your opportunities to hunt while you can.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
July 2008 - Blesbok - Louis Lategan - SA Eastern Cape - .375 after a few bad shots I attribute to jitters/jet lag. It was still fun and I guess there will never be a first again (like some other "dangerous" game)

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oribi, with a fold-down .410 shotgun, approximately 48 years ago on a Tea Estate somewhere in the Nakuru area. Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

You're just jealous you're first African animal wasn't a Lion. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Mine was an Impala on Humani in 2000, my brother and I were shooting bait for my dad who was on a Leopard hunt. We shot 6 each if I remember correctly.

Second species was an old old Warthog in 2002 in Chewore South hunting with Clive Hallamore. My dad was after Tuskless and Buffalo. Thierry Labat was with us on the hunt.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
Oribi, with a fold-down .410 shotgun, approximately 48 years ago on a Tea Estate somewhere in the Nakuru area. Big Grin

Sounds like you got about ten years of great hunting in before the curtain closed. tu2

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Selous LU5 with Zane van der Merwe and Adam Clements Safaris in 2008.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuskless elephant with rich tabor hunting with cm safaris. Thanks cm.

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu in the Eastern Cape in 2007 with Marius van Deventer and Africa Bushveld Safaris. 302 yards lasered with a 45-110 Sharps and barrel buckhorn sights using traditional cast lead paper patched bullets and black powder.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff with Abbie Steyn Steyn Safaris RSA 2002.

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

True! But it was my 2nd African animal. Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tsessebe with Tsankaruka hunting (Simon Roger)at Kennilworth in 1989.
PH - Con Van Wyk

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Wildebeest with Hunters Rock Safaris in Limpopo

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cape Kudu in Eastern Cape June 2004. What a great memory. 365 yards with my favorite plains game rifle...300WSM
First of 12 animals on my first trip to Africa. I officially got the bug after.
Great topic....

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First was in 1991. It was a 42" Sable shot on Antoinette Concession (made famous recently by Cecil). Safari company was Rosslyn Safaris and my PH was Martinus Naude. My hunt was booked through Tommy Morrison. What great memories even though I lost a cape buffalo.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard on day 8 with Rex Hoets in Chewore South - 2013

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

This mountain zebra is the second animal I shot just a few kilometres South of Windhoek in Namibia whilst hunting with Osombahe Nord last October. He was more than a little unfortunate. I had chest shot shot a mare from the same herd about 20 seconds earlier but she made it into cover. The next zebra I spotted was this one and I asked my guide whether it was my animal. Receiving no reply I fired at this animal, hitting him in the spine and killing him instantly at 383 yds with a 165gn TTSX out of my Blaser .300WM. The mare that I'd shot dropped at precisely the same time as the stallion and was apparently directly between my shooting position and the stallion but perhaps 80 yards closer. Out of the field of view of my scope anyway. When the stallion dropped the first reaction from our guide was that I had missed the mare with my second shot and accidentally killed the stallion. Would have been the worst miss of my life had he been correct.
So now I have two Hartmann's mountain zebra skins. Fortunately the stallion's skin is in good shape which is rare apparently. Common for them to be badly scarred from fighting.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

True! But it was my 2nd African animal. Smiler

and your 11th , and your 19th , and your.....

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My first African animal was a big Hippo bull in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. with Malombo Safaris.

....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Impala for lion bait - Chewore South

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Elephant bull in 2001, Binga area in Zim with Gavin Rorke.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard - day 8, Chewore South, 2013 with PH Rex Hoets, Chifuti

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
2014 Eastern Cape near Komga

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote