Find
Notify
Tools

John Sharp / Facebook
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Disagreeing with others is part of the human condition, nothing wrong with it.

I am simply one of those folks that do not believe hiding or pretending that I am not a hunter, and that I enjoy hunting will accomplish anything.

You and I will never agree on this subject, and that is merely life.

I am pretty sure however that in the long run the division between hunters that is being brought to light on this subject, will do more harm than either of our philosophies on the subject.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

I am simply one of those folks that do not believe hiding or pretending that I am not a hunter, and that I enjoy hunting will accomplish anything.

I am pretty sure however that in the long run the division between hunters that is being brought to light on this subject, will do more harm than either of our philosophies on the subject.

Crazy I do not think there is such a division. A little bit of sparring hear and there. Never come across reference to it outside this circle.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

s

Exactly what are you not agreeing with?

Where have I advocated hiding hunting or being a hunter?

I am advocating being smarter about how we engage the enemy. Are you disagreeing with that?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,

perhaps we should counsel John to stop making a living by having hunters come and kill these animals just for sport...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Well,

perhaps we should counsel John to stop making a living by having hunters come and kill these animals just for sport...

Why did you bother to make this asinine post?

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Well,

Why did you bother to make this asinine post?

Jeff

rotflmo This place cracks me up...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Crazy I do not think there is such a division.

There is. Politics in this country has moved steadily towards a clash of the classes. Much is blamed on the "rich" although the definition of rich is a never ending movable goalpost.

In hunting, to the average local deer/turkey/hog hunter a trip to Africa is far outside the budget (mostly) and those that do make the trip across the pond can get characterized as that "rich fat white guy" they imagine riding a motorized scooter around that SCI convention.

Anyway you look at it just because we all have hunting in common there are other perceptions that can divide us and the media and antis will exploit any and all of these perceptions to their advantage.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look how wealth is vilified and attacked by the 99%ers and by our very own government. Then tell me we have a chance of getting our way with hunting or anything else.

Piss and flagpoles come to mind.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Look how wealth is vilified and attacked by the 99%ers and by our very own government. Then tell me we have a chance of getting our way with hunting or anything else.

You cannot imagine how right you are about jealousy in today's world.

Anytime one reads anything nowadays has to do with money.

Joe Blogs gets caught speeding in England.

The report goes like this "Joe Blogs, driving a $200,000 car, and living in a $2,000,000 house, was caught yesterday exceeding the speed limit by 5 miles an hour"

What the hell has the price of his car and his house got to do with it is anyone's guess!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wealth envy and class warfare are alive and well.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an aspect that may be more critical than we know.

If you consider that many of those against what we do are millenials.

At least in the US the actions at the University of Missouri personify perfectly their actions and attitudes across college campuses and life. The have an over inflated sense of entitlement and are a driving source for redistribution of wealth.

They are a key constituent of support for Bernie Sanders.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-...-gets-death-threats/
Here is an article that is about a year and a half old written about the Kendall jones uproar. The author sums up these anti hunting crazies on social media in a nut shell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it. Hits the nail on the head.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be a bit off the wall, but here goes.

Many people with strong sentiments sometimes run with concepts that are just a cluster of opinions and assumptions.

Two example:

"Hunting and Conservation are two opposing forces. They are not mutually compatible".
"Protecting the Environment and dealing with Global Warming is unlikely as long as we keep increasing Industry and Oil Production."

Both popular concepts are false.

The hunting "industry" has long been preocupied with conservation. We are doing a very good job in conservation. Our environmental impact is generally positve. Credit goes to all of us. But, we don't always put our best foot forward. It's about our public face. The Anti-hunters are way ahead of us in this regard. They can sure sell their point of view to the urbanites and we make it too easy for them.

We have to market ourselves better; including behaving better. I think that we should even think about adjusting little things like toning down our trophy pictures a bit. ( Please read Richard Lendrums recent article in the African Hunting Gazette, ("Shooting Ourselves in the Foot".)

I will use Canadian "Dirty Oil" as my example of the oil industry not getting it right. Our industrial environmental impact record stinks. ( no pun intended.)
We Canucks pollute, won't admit it and then wonder why other coutries, like the USA, don't want to buy our "dirty" oil. Go figure! ( think KeyStone Pipeline.)
First we have to clean our act up. Then, when that's done we have to market a new greener image of ourselves to the world. It's not complicated.

(For the record I will say that the technology is already in place to produce greener oil and the will to use it is increasing as we speak. Watch the Alberta Oils Sands in the next decade.)

Both examples tell us the same thing. We can have our cake and eat it too.

First, we have to factor in the environment, protecting it for it's own sake. That's number one. The hunting industry/sport is way ahead of the pack in this regard.

Second, we have to show the world of "non believers" that we got it right.
For example, non-hunters need to know that without the modern hunter, the environmental wheels would have fallen off long ago due to habitat distruction and poaching.

From my point of view, I can't think af any other industry that is looking after the environment, habitat and wild life, as well as the hunting industry does. Logging, mining, farming and oil sure as hell don't.

We are the good guys. We just have to dress up our image/value better so that other folks can see it. No one else is going to convince them and I fear that for now, they are winning the contest. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
This may be a bit off the wall, but here goes.

Many people with strong sentiments sometimes run with concepts that are just a cluster of opinions and assumptions.

Two example:

"Hunting and Conservation are two opposing forces. They are not mutually compatible".
"Protecting the Environment and dealing with Global Warming is unlikely as long as we keep increasing Industry and Oil Production."

Both popular concepts are false.

The hunting "industry" has long been preocupied with conservation. We are doing a very good job in conservation. Our environmental impact is generally positve. Credit goes to all of us. But, we don't always put our best foot forward. It's about our public face. The Anti-hunters are way ahead of us in this regard. They can sure sell their point of view to the urbanites and we make it too easy for them.

We have to market ourselves better; including behaving better. I think that we should even think about adjusting little things like toning down our trophy pictures a bit. ( Please read Richard Lendrums recent article in the African Hunting Gazette, ("Shooting Ourselves in the Foot".)

I will use Canadian "Dirty Oil" as my example of the oil industry not getting it right. Our industrial environmental impact record stinks. ( no pun intended.)
We Canucks pollute, won't admit it and then wonder why other coutries, like the USA, don't want to buy our "dirty" oil. Go figure! ( think KeyStone Pipeline.)
First we have to clean our act up. Then, when that's done we have to market a new greener image of ourselves to the world. It's not complicated.

(For the record I will say that the technology is already in place to produce greener oil and the will to use it is increasing as we speak. Watch the Alberta Oils Sands in the next decade.)

Both examples tell us the same thing. We can have our cake and eat it too.

First, we have to factor in the environment, protecting it for it's own sake. That's number one. The hunting industry/sport is way ahead of the pack in this regard.

Second, we have to show the world of "non believers" that we got it right.
For example, non-hunters need to know that without the modern hunter, the environmental wheels would have fallen off long ago due to habitat distruction and poaching.

From my point of view, I can't think af any other industry that is looking after the environment, habitat and wild life, as well as the hunting industry does. Logging, mining, farming and oil sure as hell don't.

We are the good guys. We just have to dress up our image/value better so that other folks can see it. No one else is going to convince them and I fear that for now, they are winning the contest. Brian

Brian the problem we have is that there is no clean or dirty oil ... oil is oil the world is pointing the finger to us but a while ago we were not able to produce enough of that dirty oil ....

Posts: 1797 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:

We are the good guys. We just have to dress up our image/value better so that other folks can see it. No one else is going to convince them and I fear that for now, they are winning the contest.

Brian, you are right we have a damn good story to tell. When I compare the challenge of messaging on hunting to messaging on the Second Amendment, there is no comparison. Hunting should be a much easier public sell given the conservation and environmental benefits. We just have to (1) do a helluva better job of educating the public and telling the compelling story we have to tell, and (2) get our own house in order by doing the right thing instead of just relying on what we have the right to do and thereby delivering to our opponents ready made arguments like canned lion hunting and Cecil.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway you look at it just because we all have hunting in common there are other perceptions that can divide us and the media and antis will exploit any and all of these perceptions to their advantage.

And that, sums up the problem.

Not understanding that pictures of dead lions/elephants/rhinos, are going to elicit a lot more negative responses, than pictures of dead cape buffalo or eland, is in a way refusing to address the real problem, as it exists at this point in time.

Example, my wife posted a picture of the Mule Deer buck she killed in west Texas just before Thanksgiving on Facebook. Apart from one comment from an actual long time friend, whose husband is a hunter, simply stating that she did not like seeing pictures of dead animals, there were no rash comments.

Would that have been the case with a dead lion or dead elephant, NO!!!!

If a person chooses to hide and try and "Take The HIGH Road", keep in mind that those wanting to take hunting from us are going to take any road available!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
medved, You are absolutely right. I'm glad you brought that up. I just couldn't figure out a way to get it into my rant. Thanks, brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

You cannot imagine how right you are about jealousy in today's world.

Anytime one reads anything nowadays has to do with money.

Joe Blogs gets caught speeding in England.

The report goes like this "Joe Blogs, driving a $200,000 car, and living in a $2,000,000 house, was caught yesterday exceeding the speed limit by 5 miles an hour"

What the hell has the price of his car and his house got to do with it is anyone's guess!

I have said this over and over to no avail.

It isn't just hunting.

They don't like you. ( Insert us - hunters, sportsmen, guys paying their own way, . .)

They don't like what you do.

They aren't going to like you no matter what you do.

So it really doesn't matter if it is lion hunting, duck hunting, shooting targets with your AR, or having a Daisy Red Ryder target hanging in your back yard.

Even if you gave up on all of that - there would be something else tomorrow.

Not that hunting couldn't benefit from some polishing up here and there. But overall that won't hardly move the needle.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Right On! Good productive comment.

I'm interested in what Will work for us, not in pessimistic stuff about it won't work.

It's very simple. We are not the first "Cause" to face opposition in the world. A quick look at history shows us what to do. Get out in front of it with right action and good P.R. These days things change pretty quickly. It won't take us very long to raise our stocks a bit.

Also Mike, I see that you quote Major PJ Pretorius. He was an amazing man. Have you read much about him? The best book I have read on him is an autobiography called Jungle Man. Also, I think that the old movie with Lee Marvin called "Shout ar the Devel" was a fictionalized spin about PJ Pretorius. Brian

PS. apology to all for risking highjacking the thread. B

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hijacking this thread . . . not sure that is possible. Smiler

Wayne LaPierre made the comment at the Hunter's Leadership Forum meeting last month that the good news today in terms of getting the message out is that groups like the NRA are not dependent on the media to carry the message. With social media, You Tube, and other channels, groups like the NRA can take the message directly to the public even if it is a message the main stream media finds objectionable. Hopefully we will begin to see the fruits of their efforts to develop and roll out a communication plan early in 2016.

[Yes, I have read Jungle Man, in fact, that is where the quote came from. Good book.]

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read lots comments to the effect that we hunters are protecting the species and we're providing employment and all about the good hunting does in Africa, but do any of you actually know what good you are doing when you book with your PH/outfitter? Or what your PH/outfitter is doing to benefit the locals and the habitat? Or how much your PH/outfitter is really putting back into the community?

Problem is with all the slick marketing and happy talk is few actually have a clue where their money goes or if any benefit is being derived in the local communities and habitat. Until you get the facts, the happy talk statements are pretty hollow. I would encourage everyone to start asking their PH/outfitter what they are doing to improve the situation in Africa beyond self enrichment. THAT's the story that needs to be communication rather than passing around tasteful photos of your hunt and hollow statements.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most PHs have a Lot bigger interest in the local area than we ever could. They are there EVERY day. We might be there 2-3 weeks a year. Or 2 weeks ever.

Beings I haven't seen too many PHs or other hunting guides in personal jets or Ferraris I am going to let them do it their way.

I say take a young person or non hunter hunting. Or shooting or both. That will do a tremendous amount of good right in our own backyards.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1, I agree with you. The questions always come up don't they.
"What do you do with the meat?"
"Do you help the community dig a well or build a classroom?"

I just want to say "Yikes! Get a life."

However, I bite my tongue and try, like you say, to I talk to them about the value that one travelling hunting party brings to the local human and natural environment in the course of doing business. They are usaually really impressed.

SO, WHAT DOES A HUNTING PARTY OF 2-4 EAGER HUNTERS AND THEIR SPOUSES LEAVE IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITY AFTER A WEEK OF HUNTING?

-$20,000 to $40,000 USD at least, on daily rates and trophy fees for one week. The operator covers wages out of that. The farm where we hunt employees 30 locals from the Vaalwater area. Hunting employs a lot of folks. Many of the jobs in the hunting busines are permanent and better paying. Africa Dawn Hunting Safaris also provides pensions, burial insurance and medical plans for their staff. The operator keeps as much of what's left over as he can, after all operating cost of hunting and farming paid out. He earned it.

-At least ONE TON of fresh frozen meat including the brains, stomach and intestines are consumed locally. Nothing is waisted. The locals love meat. It's part of their diet and culture. But, in many cases they can't afford it. (Hell, many folks in Limpopo Province can't even afford a bicycle.)
Some hunting operators will sell thier leftover meet to the local butcher shops and restaurants. That works too. Those folks make money selling it to the consumer.

- At least $2,000.00 to $4,000.00 cash in tips (10%) goes straight into the pockets of the staff. (All locals.) Last time I checked a laborer on RSA gets about $10.00 a day. Hunting tips pay for a lot of food clothing and shelter in South Africa.

- About another $2000.oo is dropped into the local stores and gift shops.
- Lets say another $2000.oo for the guest house and entertainment in Johannesberg.

Belive me, these are realistic figures.

ANTI POACHING

Who's doing the heavy lifting in South Africa on that front? The Govenrment? The ANC? (I can't keep a straight face.)
it's no secret that the Professional Hunters and their associations are the group making the strongest and most focused effort against poaching. In 2014 more that one Rhino a day were poached in South Africa. The poachers would just zipp the horn of with a chain saw and bug out.
That year a group of Hunting Farms in Limpopo funded their own anti poaching malitia. It cost them a lot of money.

POLITICAL CLOUT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT.

Again, In South Africa, it's the Hunting Industry all the way.

These benefits come from travelling hunters who pay for a sustainable service that locals provide. Nobody is trying be a good guy here. Were are just hunting. And, our, economical and environmental standing is A-1. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexKD, I sure agree with you!. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's very interesting. Good old Social Media.

Also, it looks like I was preaching to the choir on "Jungle Man." Cheers, Brian

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
how bout just getting off facebook

This!!!!!!!! 110%

I have been telling people for years to dump Facebook for several reasons

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read lots comments to the effect that we hunters are protecting the species and we're providing employment and all about the good hunting does in Africa, but do any of you actually know what good you are doing when you book with your PH/outfitter? Or what your PH/outfitter is doing to benefit the locxals and the habitat? Or how much your PH/outfitter is really putting back into the community?

Problem is with all the slick marketing and happy talk is few actually have a clue where their money goes or if any benefit is being derived in the local communities and habitat. Until you get the facts, the happy talk statements are pretty hollow. I would encourage everyone to start asking their PH/outfitter what they are doing to improve the situation in Africa beyond self enrichment. THAT's the story that needs to be communication rather than passing around tasteful photos of your hunt and hollow statements.

CMS and DAPU would be one very good example.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
I read lots comments to the effect that we hunters are protecting the species and we're providing employment and all about the good hunting does in Africa, but do any of you actually know what good you are doing when you book with your PH/outfitter? Or what your PH/outfitter is doing to benefit the locxals and the habitat? Or how much your PH/outfitter is really putting back into the community?

CMS and DAPU would be one very good example.

Jeff

Royal Kafue, Munyamadzi, Nyamvu, Nyakolwe are others in Zambia that have provided for communities.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
One of the issues I have not seen mentioned here is our problem of attrition. When I began paying attention to relevent statistics there were something like 24-25 million hunters in the U.S. based on all license sales across the states.

Today I see that number quoted in the 15-16 million range. SO best case is we have lost 40% of the hunters in this country in the last 20 +/- years. Astounding really.

Next question is why? Cost, lack of opportunity, urbanization, other entertainment options, lack of introduction... you get the drift.

As a bunch of older folks (what do you guess our average age is on AR?), we can denounce millennials, which really gets us nowhere and doesn't win them to our cause. We can swear off Facebook (how millennials, Gen X & Y communicate but not limited to other apps like Instagram, twitter, Snapchat, etc.). But what have we accomplished? This limits our ability to communicate the message that hunting is an enjoyable pastime that helps in conservation and puts food on the table. That we actively work to keep wild places wild! Limit industrialization that would have an adverse impact on our lands. That we are against pollution of our streams and waterways... not just here at home, but across the world. That we help feed the hungry. And along the way, we get to see and experience wild and foreign lands and experience cultures in a way that you can't on a cruise ship or a tour bus. The adventure aspect is really cool....

So stay off Facebook if that is your choice, but that doesn't win hearts and minds.

Maybe it is the focus of what we do. Less pictures of the trophies we take, and more pictures of the adventures we have. The cultures we experience. The friendships we build.

I have always enjoyed Hunt Reports by guys like BillC and Anton who show us so much more than the hunting aspect of their trip but the incredible sights they experienced. The villagers they met... their lined, smiling faces telling their stories of triumph and toil. Their landscape shots compelling and sometimes otherworldly. These things may help us win a few folks over in a way a slam or inner sanctum ring may not. The haughtiness and arrogance we sometime lord over each other in where we have been and what we have shot... does in really belong in what should be a close knit group of like-minded individuals?

We may never turn the tide.

The die may be cast.

Maybe all that is left is to turn on each other.

But I choose not to. The glass is still half full.

The world changes whether we like it or not. We, too, must evolve as hunters and in the stories we tell and the medium we use to tell that story.

Take a kid hunting or fishing. For the future.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
The world changes whether we like it or not. We, too, must evolve as hunters and in the stories we tell and the medium we use to tell that story.

Excellent post. We HAVE evolved as hunters and that has put us in a bad light: guaranteed hunts, high fences, pre-measured animals, the ego and greed of the SCI record book, shooting via web cams, shooting at night and over water holes, camo boys screaming and high fiving over a dead animal, fat slobs and their canned lion, ranches that sell animals based on antler unnatural antler growth, etc… This is the past 20 years of hunter evolution.
There is no turning back and we will never be looked upon in a positive light by the general public. We are about at the end.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

Excellent post. We HAVE evolved as hunters and that has put us in a bad light: guaranteed hunts, high fences, pre-measured animals, the ego and greed of the SCI record book, shooting via web cams, shooting at night and over water holes, camo boys screaming and high fiving over a dead animal, fat slobs and their canned lion, ranches that sell animals based on unnatural antler growth, etc… This is the past 20 years of hunter evolution.
There is no turning back and we will never be looked upon in a positive light by the general public. We are about at the end.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

Excellent post. We HAVE evolved as hunters and that has put us in a bad light: guaranteed hunts, high fences, pre-measured animals, the ego and greed of the SCI record book, shooting via web cams, shooting at night and over water holes, camo boys screaming and high fiving over a dead animal, fat slobs and their canned lion, ranches that sell animals based on antler unnatural antler growth, etc… This is the past 20 years of hunter evolution.
Cal

You forgot to mention the use of rifles with one barrel. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim. I didn't mention the single barreled rifles as they are a passing fad and will fade into the dark the same as the hula hoop, disco, and bell bottomed pants.

Gents:
I spent my career in public schools as a history teacher. Even in Alaska many anti hunters abound. Many parents asked me to remove hunt photos from the wall behind my desk. However, no one, anti hunters, vegans, etc., complained much when I explained fair chase hunting, eating the kill, the good we do in Africa, etc. It is the above actions in my above post that a non hunter will never agree to. I wish it was different, or a Jeremiah Johnson said, "It otta have been different." The world of instant gratification has taken a firm hold on many of today's hunters. The hunt less and kill more is the same as the kid who sits on the bench all season but expects a varsity letter.
'Nuff said.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to information presented at the NRA HLF the actual numbers of "hunters" is a fair bit higher. People may not be able to go hunting every year but every other year etc.

Time constraints and opportunities being a big problem here...

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Damn, Russell, you have succeeded in depressing me.

I feel like a member of the last herd of woolly mammoths, being hunted to extinction by well-armed and hungry social bipeds that I'll never understand.

And if we mammoths have to join Facebook to save anything, then I'm afraid it's truly doomed! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an observation, nothing more.

While this topic is being discussed in the African Big Game Hunting section, the efforts to stop hunting is not just going to affect those that hunt Africa.

The anti's want ALL hunting, World Wide stopped.

Americans whether they ever hunt Africa or not, have just as much to lose if the anti's win. If they are able to get hunting in Africa shut down, it will not be long before they focus their efforts on North America.

All of us that hunt, regardless of Where or What, have a stake in this.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn, Russell, you have succeeded in depressing me.

Mike, my friend, I didn't mean to depress anyone but point out the fact that the world isn't like it was when we first started traveling to hunt, whether in the next state or continent. Then we traveled freely with our rifles and shotguns and were welcomed in the states or countries we traveled to. My how times have changed. The last two hunts across the pond I used camp rifles to avoid the hassles we face in flying or entering a country with firearms. The world has evolved for better or worse.

I wanted to make two points and probably didn't do them justice.

1. Our numbers are declining and we need to reverse that trend. Recruit rather than revile the younger generations. Hard to do and costly, but both Texas Wildlife Association and Texas Parks and Wildlife have programs to introduce kids to our sport. See if your states do too. Then volunteer to help, provide land to hunt on, or donate financially to help these organizations offer the experience to more kids. The more kids that have a chance to hunt, the more likely they are to hunt or have a positive view of those who choose to.

2. Just because our generation doesn't Facebook, Instagram, Tweet, etc. doesn't mean we should not use it to get our message out. It is how our kids communicate and learn... for better or worse. So by ignoring it we give ground to those who will use it to their advantage.

I am all for the message of hunting being about conservation, but to reach the young people of today it needs to be more than that... think environment, think action travel, think cultural experiences you can't get from a "normal" vacation. These kids invented extreme sports... or think they did. Hiking up a mountain in three feet of snow to hunt elk or across a white hot savannah after a LDE is pretty damn extreme! Let's be sure when we post that it is not just hero shots with dead animals. There is so much more to our sport than that. If we focus instead on the landscapes, people, cultures and difficulties we encounter while we hunted, perhaps the narrative changes. We lived a true adventure and hunting was just a part of it.

When the trophy is the be all, end all, then we lose so much of what we really accomplished. Just another 40 or 50 something posing with a dead animal. Boring. Outdated. Unevolved.

Just my thoughts... it is up to us to recruit and work to change minds. It is up to us to use whatever medium we are comfortable with to change the narrative.

It's not easy, it is not quick. It is a long struggle. But think how long the antis have been struggling to stop us... we can sit by and bitch at each other or we can try and make a difference.

I prefer to try...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of this. This has all been stated previously in one form or fashion.

It is time to engage on social media and win hearts and minds.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The squeaky wheel gets the grease--it's been said. Minority groups who are vocal seem to get what they want. Beginning with Blacks in the 1950-60s, the feminists and abortionists in the 1960s-70s, the queers in the same time and now the GLBT. Maybe we should do the same. Rather than hiding what we do, would it be better to do the opposite--to flood the media with what we do and all the benefits that result from hunting. I still support moving away from images that do us harm (as mentioned in an above post of mine) but flooding the media with the good stuff and respectable photos. I know we can't win over many. Just my thoughts and rambling.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa