John Sharp / Facebook
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
Damn, Russell, you have succeeded in depressing me.

I wanted to make two points and probably didn't do them justice.

2. Just because our generation doesn't Facebook, Instagram, Tweet, etc. doesn't mean we should not use it to get our message out. It is how our kids communicate and learn... for better or worse. So by ignoring it we give ground to those who will use it to their advantage.

I am all for the message of hunting being about conservation, but to reach the young people of today it needs to be more than that... think environment, think action travel, think cultural experiences you can't get from a "normal" vacation. These kids invented extreme sports... or think they did. Hiking up a mountain in three feet of snow to hunt elk or across a white hot savannah after a LDE is pretty damn extreme! Let's be sure when we post that it is not just hero shots with dead animals. There is so much more to our sport than that. If we focus instead on the landscapes, people, cultures and difficulties we encounter while we hunted, perhaps the narrative changes. We lived a true adventure and hunting was just a part of it.

When the trophy is the be all, end all, then we lose so much of what we really accomplished. Just another 40 or 50 something posing with a dead animal. Boring. Outdated. Unevolved.

Just my thoughts... it is up to us to recruit and work to change minds. It is up to us to use whatever medium we are comfortable with to change the narrative.

It's not easy, it is not quick. It is a long struggle. But think how long the antis have been struggling to stop us... we can sit by and bitch at each other or we can try and make a difference.

I prefer to try...

Great post!

I agree 100%. If you post photos from your hunt/travel on FB let it be 60 photos that involves travel, schools, kids, action photos, scenic, old people etc and one "trophy shot" instead of the other way around!

Most people we have on our friends list dont travel to Pakistan, Guinea, Ivory Coast C.A.R etc just letting people into that life makes a great post and contribution on FB or Instagram.

SCI blue bag thing is a great opportunity for some great photos and positive spin on your trip.

Like Diego doing with his dentist job in Zim, and I remember another AR member took his wife with him and she teached some classes in a African school instead of just staying in camp.

That makes for a great story IMO and should be posted in all social medias.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote