New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Sharp / Facebook
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I respect both John and Ivan as ethical up standing PH- I cannot agree with them. We have nothing to hide, we are proud of what we do and we need to promote it and the BENEFITS of it!

Going back in our "shell" sure aint going to slow the onslaught by the antis. What needs to be done is for Hunters to portray their photos etc in good taste as many have pointed out already and Operators/ hunters need to put more emphasis on getting the message out on how hunting is the greatest form of conservation!

Sorry john and Ivan you are wrong on this. This is not to say the Antis may not win their war against us simple because they far out way us in numbers but by not posting pics will make no difference to the outcome so long as they are tactfully done.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
NRA does not give an inch, why should we?
Same principal
I'm telling guys, we need minority status and we get Feds protection.
Hell, everyone else does. Then can dip into affirmative action purse and create our own agency that will override USFWA on the grounds of racism
Pretty simple approach...
I think I'm gonna use this approach on antis, to continue ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
We are pissing against each other here.
Same as Saeed pissing on Mark Sullivan.
There is no middle ground--it is us vs. them. Now it is also us vs. us.
For Sharp asking to remove photos, and for Carter to agree…I don't understand, as it won't change one anti's attitude. They both have done well self marketing the same pics and/or videos they want others to remove.
Ivan: will you stop selling your elephant videos?
As my high school used to chant at the end of a basketball game when there was no chance the other side could catch up…
"It's all over. It's all over. It's all over."
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Chaps,

FB has literally thousands of hunting related pages ranging from hard case hunters to bowhunting ladies in sexy swimsuits. It sells and promotes hunting products, taxidermy, equipment etc etc. Virtually any hunting related product can be found on facebook. I have three pages and my Lion and Royal Kafue page attract a lot of attention from clueless antis and in return I have managed to educate a few and simply ignore the rabid

I would suggest more join FB and more saturate the social media with our message and images and use it to our advantage as an advertising tool.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
quote:
An Ivan, REALLY after you've made your living broadcasting hunting all over the world on TV for years.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Jerry - yes i have broadcast hunting- lots of it - but ALWAYS with a great effort from everyone on the team to talk about the benefits -the conservation ethos , indeed the whole mantra on every single show or production is conservation through hunting - indeed we still need that -

Ivan,

I am afraid you are missing your own point. We should not hide what hunting is, the point we need to make is that hunting is and will continue to be a great conservation tool. Hence we must show what hunting is.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to agree with John on this one. Entering the social media fray in numbers will always have us on the back foot BECAUSE of our numbers. It's about the only thing I personally agree with from that presentation to the ZPHGA AGM. Sure, be active on social media, but highlight the benefit to rural communities, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
I don't know John Sharp, but know of him.

I've read about him and some of his works and based on all that I have to say he seems to be a pretty admirable guy. And, yes, I'd love to hunt with him.
That being said, or written rather, I totally disagree with what he just posted on his Facebook account:

I AM ASKING ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO REMOVE THE PHOTOGRAPHS OF DEAD ANIMALS FROM THEIR FB PAGES. THE ANTI HUNTERS ARE WINNING THEIR BATTLE TO GET ALL HUNTING STOPPED AND THERE ARE MANY WAYS FOR THEM TO GET THESE PHOTOS OFF YOUR SITE.

PLEASE FOLKS, THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS THREAT AND WE ALL NEED TO STAND TOGETHER ON THIS - PHOTOS OF DEAD ANIMALS SIMPLY GIVES THEM MORE AMMUNITION AGAINST US.

WHY NOT POST PICTURES OF LIVE ANIMALS INSTEAD?

THANK YOU,
John Sharp

I feel, and strongly, that we need to do the opposite.

Hunters need to take to social media in droves. After all, we aren't ashamed of what we do. We believe in what we do. So why hide.

Thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vvreddy:
I've seen lately that there is a lot of personal interaction on various threads that has no meaningful contribution to the discussions taking place.

A polite request - How about you guys take your personal issues offline and stick to the topics at hand?

Isn't this thread about discussing global issues that impact all of us?

Can we try and do it by debating the merits of each other's arguments rather than calling people out? Aren't we all a bunch of adults in the room?

It really sucks is all I can say!!

+1

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We need to think about these issues from the perspective of the intended audience. The intended audience is not the anti-hunting community. We will never convince them of anything and we should not waste our time trying. The intended audience for our message is a large segment of the public that is frankly either ambivalent or indifferent to hunting. They are at least open to considering the possibility that hunting might have a place in our culture . . . and by the same token are open the possibility that it should not. As a consequence, this is the same group that anti-hunting community is after as well. Realizing that playing on emotions is a big part of trying to win over this segment, how does the anti-community approach the issue? In many cases it is with photos and footage we supply them. If we are trying to appeal to this same audience, why wouldn't we consider what is persuasive to this group and by the same token what alienates this group? The work that the NRA has done suggests that the messages that resonate are hunting as a source of food, for wildlife management, for animal population control . . . not for sport or for trophies. So if we want to reach the intended audience that would suggest playing to our strengths, like the conservation messaging, not using trophy photos and the like. By doing the latter we are really in some respects resorting to the same approach the anti-hunting community uses to exactly the opposite purpose. I do not believe this is knuckling under to the anti-hunting community or conceding ground to the anti-hunting community, it is fighting smart in a way to try and preserve the sport in the face of mounting opposition.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
This is basically a new form of cyberattacks to the hunting world we have never experienced something like this before. To decide what is the correct way or not will only be determined by the outcome of this war.

But I do believe that I don't have to shy away from what I have achieved as a hunter to the benefit of conservation. It is part of and my character, hunting is part of my life and my family I will not be pushed to hide my lifestyle then I might as well join them.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
As much as I respect both John and Ivan as ethical up standing PH- I cannot agree with them. We have nothing to hide, we are proud of what we do and we need to promote it and the BENEFITS of it!

Going back in our "shell" sure aint going to slow the onslaught by the antis. What needs to be done is for Hunters to portray their photos etc in good taste as many have pointed out already and Operators/ hunters need to put more emphasis on getting the message out on how hunting is the greatest form of conservation!

Sorry john and Ivan you are wrong on this. This is not to say the Antis may not win their war against us simple because they far out way us in numbers but by not posting pics will make no difference to the outcome so long as they are tactfully done.
+1

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am afraid you are missing your own point. We should not hide what hunting is, the point we need to make is that hunting is and will continue to be a great conservation tool. Hence we must show what hunting is.

THIS is a key element also. We need to dominate social media. NOT WITH DEAD ANIMAL PICTURES but with a steady IV drip of the constant and continued benefits of the hunter/conservationist. We must use it as a tool to educate as it has been used as a tool to destroy us. Them once some balance has been restored, some sanity will return.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by tendrams:
You know, I can't help but notice that the PHs proposing and in favor of this ridiculousness are either very well established or indeed approaching the end of their careers. Given that, the dent in their advertising capabilities if people (and they) embraced the proposed ideas would be of little consequence as they have already reaped the benefits of very public hunting either in the form of its exposure on social media or television. I therefore can't help but wonder how a freshly minted 25 year old PH might feel about all this. Something tells me their opinions might differ substantially.

This whole thing is a bit like the guy who has already shot a dozen elephant or several lion suddenly becoming "conservation minded" and telling others to ease off these species. As usual, it's either "Do as I say and not as I do" or "Do as I say and not as I HAVE DONE". Essentially, it's a matter of "I got mine, now all the rest of you can piss off".

Money on both sides of the issue is driving the narrative.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Money on both sides of the issue is driving the narrative.

Money and an extreme sense of self-importance on at least half of it.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
We should never hide. By all means saturate FB with the positive hunting message. Show all the pics of flourishing game you can. Always take up the fight on how ethical hunting is conservation.

But posting a public picture of dead animals does not help the situation.

"A picture is worth a 1000 words." But if those words are vitriol against hunting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my opinions as does everyone here. The reality is that none of us really know what will work. The "f*$k those stupid f*%king antis, who gives a damn what they think" is going to lead to further erosion of our hunting rights. Ignoring the problem simply does not work.

The attack on our rights is far worse than I ever thought possible. In the last 12 months, I have experienced things that I never thought possible. These include:

1- Establishing multiple Facebook pages for my business attacking me for hunting elephants. I had ZERO idea they had done this for a very long time.

2- I received multiple e mails attacking me for buying a bear license here in FL. Some person or persons took the time to obtain a list of all of the license holders and distribute them to anti-hunting groups.

3- One of the e mails received was very threatening. It has been turned over to law enforcement.

4- I have been bombarded with Facebook friend requests from people I do not know nor do we have mutual friends. I believe that most of these are antis attempting to obtain information from me. I know for fact that some are. Needless to say, I do not accept these requests.

Burying our head in the sand is not the way forward.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Removing pictures will appear to give an affirmation of guilt.

The more we give, the more we loose.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:

tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can be smart or we can be belligerent in how we engage social media. The NRA has experts that hopefully will lead us through this. Belligerent business as usual attitudes will lead to our early demise IMHO.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Dead animal photos will not win the hearts and minds of the anti-hunters.

Dead animal photos will paint us in a light that is hard for the non-hunting crowd to lean to the extremist views of the anti-hunting crowd.

I agree with John Sharp.

A campaign of management based hunting is what we need to approach. The idea of winning over a non-hunter by showing them photos of an animal we killed is not going to happen.

CAMPFIRE needs to be explained, Hunters for the Hungry needs to be talked about. Photos of dentist or any of us with dead animals isn't helping our cause.

---------------------------------------

+1

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I do not use facebook as I have no need or desire. I support freedom of speech. We cannot ever limit it. Even if the person is wrong or I don't like their opinion; I support freedom of speech. I have the ability to personally edit and censor what I want to watch, read, listen to and with whom I associate during my personal time. That helps to keep me sane and positive.

As hunters, we are Ambassadors for our sport. We have to think that way. It is not about me or you. It has to be about us. We can never change the emotionally charged pleas and arguments of the anti's. We can make them look more like the frothing mouthed idiots that they are if we choose to represent ourselves as educated gentlemen and ladies. The anti's attempt to portray hunters as toothless, racist, uneducated(add every other applicable stereotype) rednecks. Unfortunately, we feed them information to support that perception. We have to destroy that image by policing ourselves. We can use our freedom of speech and expression for the positive. We must show the majority (uncommitted and unknowing when it comes to hunting or firearms) the other side of hunting.

As Hunting Ambassadors, we may have to denounce the actions or activities of others or call them out to clean up their act. There is nothing wrong with giving calm counsel and just because it is legal does not make it right. We have all told someone they are wrong. How we did it had a lot to do with the end results we hoped to accomplish.

We cannot become a clandestine group and hide like we are ashamed and embarrassed. However, we can show some class and remember that we are Ambassadors for Hunting. Graphic photos for public display should not be used. Hunting magazines (this includes you DSC and SCI) need to better screen the photos used in their magazines advertisements. They present the organizations as "the obese white rich guy's canned hunting association" at times. My wife is a chef and we watch a lot of the food channel. Young chefs are showing hunting in a much more positive light that any of our beloved hunting organizations. Their angle is conservation and clean harvesting of organic meat. Imagine that! Not just my opinion. Some of my wife's friends that know nothing about hunting make positive comments about what they learned about hunting on Foodie shows.

We are losing the media and public opinion battle but we have not lost the war. A positive change starts with us looking in the mirror and presenting ourselves as educated, caring, Ambassadors for our beloved sport. After all, courtesy costs nothing and when you have the power, you have the power to be nice!

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
The middle ground here is to post a respectful photo WITH information and links/ references to published papers detailing how hunting pays for conservation.

The difference between photos ( with no explanations ) and say Ivan's or any other quality hunting conservation TV program /film is that the presenters on film have the chance to include the conservation message - if they dont they are just as bad.

We are not backing down when we say we hear what the general public have to say , we are saying we hear you and respect your opinion , this will hopefully in turn lead them to respect our right to hunt , but we need to educate them and enlighten them with patience and respect.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I do not use facebook as I have no need or desire. I support freedom of speech. We cannot ever limit it. Even if the person is wrong or I don't like their opinion; I support freedom of speech. I have the ability to personally edit and censor what I want to watch, read, listen to and with whom I associate during my personal time. That helps to keep me sane and positive.

As hunters, we are Ambassadors for our sport. We have to think that way. It is not about me or you. It has to be about us. We can never change the emotionally charged pleas and arguments of the anti's. We can make them look more like the frothing mouthed idiots that they are if we choose to represent ourselves as educated gentlemen and ladies. The anti's attempt to portray hunters as toothless, racist, uneducated(add every other applicable stereotype) rednecks. Unfortunately, we feed them information to support that perception. We have to destroy that image by policing ourselves. We can use our freedom of speech and expression for the positive. We must show the majority (uncommitted and unknowing when it comes to hunting or firearms) the other side of hunting.

As Hunting Ambassadors, we may have to denounce the actions or activities of others or call them out to clean up their act. There is nothing wrong with giving calm counsel and just because it is legal does not make it right. We have all told someone they are wrong. How we did it had a lot to do with the end results we hoped to accomplish.

We cannot become a clandestine group and hide like we are ashamed and embarrassed. However, we can show some class and remember that we are Ambassadors for Hunting. Graphic photos for public display should not be used. Hunting magazines (this includes you DSC and SCI) need to better screen the photos used in their magazines advertisements. They present the organizations as "the obese white rich guy's canned hunting association" at times. My wife is a chef and we watch a lot of the food channel. Young chefs are showing hunting in a much more positive light that any of our beloved hunting organizations. Their angle is conservation and clean harvesting of organic meat. Imagine that! Not just my opinion. Some of my wife's friends that know nothing about hunting make positive comments about what they learned about hunting on Foodie shows.

We are losing the media and public opinion battle but we have not lost the war. A positive change starts with us looking in the mirror and presenting ourselves as educated, caring, Ambassadors for our beloved sport. After all, courtesy costs nothing and when you have the power, you have the power to be nice!

Larry

Well articulated. In some respects the foregoing parallels the post by Bwana Cecil above. Plenty of good advice packed in both posts.

tu2

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Plus One on SFRanger7GP's comments.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
The middle ground here is to post a respectful photo WITH information and links/ references to published papers detailing how hunting pays for conservation.

The difference between photos ( with no explanations ) and say Ivan's or any other quality hunting conservation TV program /film is that the presenters on film have the chance to include the conservation message - if they dont they are just as bad.

We are not backing down when we say we hear what the general public have to say , we are saying we hear you and respect your opinion , this will hopefully in turn lead them to respect our right to hunt , but we need to educate them and enlighten them with patience and respect.

SBB - I believe you are absolutely on target. The problem with that is so few hunters actually have a clue where their dollar winds up and what impact (positive or negative) their hunt has on the local community. Furthermore the organizations who could be collecting the data and pumping it out aren't. Only recently has RSA provided concise data on the hunting industry and the economic benefits derived from it. I doubt few here have read the report.

So until the hunting community at large understands what is actually happening on the ground, it is difficult to articulate any benefit they have provided. I encourage every outfitter and PH who owns a web site to have a Community Development page that details what economic impact their operation is having on the local community, employment, game management, anti poaching, and special projects they champion. And until that happens, hunters have very few facts regarding the benefits they are generating.

If you want to generate a positive message, first you must know the facts.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original post wasnt from John. This paragraph came from his facebook page:

"Please be careful: some hackers have found something new. They take your profile picture and your name and create a new FB account. Then they ask your friends to add them. Your friends think it is you, so they accept. From that moment on they can say and post whatever they want under your name.
Please don't accept a second friendship demand from me, I have only one account.
Copy this on your wall to keep others informed."

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys.PLEASE take a minute to visit the DSC Facebook Page. Working with DSC, my company has produced and introduced a wide variety of video messages, along with photography showing tasteful photography with embedded messages. The short films you will find as you scroll down all have positive messages that I think the AR readership will find positive. We have tried very hard to produce content with a message. DSC is indeed trying to portray the pro hunting message to ANYONE who visits their Facebook page, hunters, undecided, and even anti's will find positive message content there. Please take a minute and visit the NEW DSC Facebook page. I know your feedback would be most welcome. And as incorrectly stated by Ivan Carter, DSC does not buy Facebook likes. They are homegrown...

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
All of this handwringing is getting out of control guys. I've never won a fight by walking away from it! I do agree that having tactical plans are better than going in swinging wildly however.

I'll never back down from posting hunting photos on this forum, Facebook, or any other social medium I decide to participate in. That said, there are better ways of expressing your enjoyment of a successful hunt than others. Posting bloody photos of dead animals in degrading poses leaves much room for improvement.

Personally, I try to do a few things to control the reaction to my content. And the reaction I'm speaking of is by those who might see my posts but not be of the hunting persuasion. First, in regards to hunting videos I post on YouTube. I set the privacy setting to "Unlisted". That way I have better control of who sees them. If I, or someone else, don't give you the address, you'll not find it. Second, in regards to trophy photos, I try to remove all blood as much a possible, make sure no tongues are hanging out, try and place the animal and myself in a position to reflect respect for the life taken. And probably as important as anything, I try to make a comment to accompany the photo or video explaining how the photo isn't about the kill, but the fulfillment of the circle of life and how conservation through hunting works.

I also post conservation through hunting content that does not involve trophy photos. For instance, one I posted a few years back showed my son handing out goodies that we brought to a local village. In the background and very visible, were strips of elephant meat hanging and drying in the sun. I made a comment about how both of those images in that photo go hand in hand to help support the communities and in turn, the locals help support wildlife conservation because of the benefits they derive from hunting.

I've been challenged by numerous antis and or non-hunters from time to time. It's pretty easy to tell the difference just by the tone. I always offer a logical response. The rabid ones will either disappear or turn more hateful. At that point, I ignore them. The others will often come back with a question asking to further clarify my initial response. I can't tell you how many of those I've been able to engage in logical discussions and although I haven't won all of them over completely, the vast majority have at least softened their initial objection raised. Many have come full circle and recognized the benefits of conservation through hunting. From that experience and others, I refuse to back away from the social media / hunting photos and commentary fight. Shrinking from the fight ensures they win. They may win anyway with their larger numbers and ability to stand in solidarity (unlike us hunters who love to tear each other apart), but IF they win, they should at least know they were in a fight!!

So NO, I'm NOT going to remove my hunting photos from FaceBook. NO, I'm NOT going to stop posting hunting photos on FaceBook. I do try to make those posts respectful and educational, or at least affirming to our cause however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of this over Facebook . . .

As I said I don't Facebook. Maybe that is good. Or not.

But I have been acting with class and respectfulness for 50 years. That is whether I am hunting or not. Or Facebooking or not. I expect to continue to do just that in most instances.

During our nearly month long Africa trip this year, which we were there right as the whole Cecil story broke big in the media, exactly one butthead had anything negative to say. He was an American of course and in the JoBurg airport. I let him have his opinion of hunting and me. Twice as a matter of fact. On his third round I shut it down. He decided he didnt like hunters and moved on which suited me perfectly.

So while I expect to continue to be respectful at the same time I am not about to bow to the media or social media on hunting or anything else. Because hunting is just one part of it. It is much broader than that.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received a PM from someone who does not want to be identified, however, suggested the following:

quote:

As hunters, you have the power of influence. Stop booking the cheapest hunt from the nefarious outfitters. Stop supporting farm hunting if you don't agree with it. Don't book a "pet lion shoot" if you don't agree with it. Stop booking with outfitters who are only pocketing money and doing nothing to support their communities. But most importantly, become informed. Stop listening to keyboard experts who do not work in the industry and stop listening to people who obviously have a financial agenda.

Start becoming informed by asking the difficult questions - How large an area do you hunt? Do you "restock" every year? What is your carrying capacity and what is your annual off take? How much of my hunting dollars are going to the local community? Do you support local development projects? Are you paying for and/or performing anti-poaching efforts?

And as hunters you also have the power to change organizations that have been creating many of the problems that we all now face and that is negative public sentiment. Too much focus has been put on awards and notoriety and not enough on education; both hunter and novice alike.

And finally, not enough is being disseminated about those who are working for change on the ground level. There are a lot of good things happening, but the message is not getting out.

Food for thought...

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone holds John Sharp in higher esteem than I do and while I do see his point (if we were dealing with rational people when clearly we are not), I disagree with this position. I'm not saying I'm right and he's wrong, but in the end, if hunting is banned (in Africa) it will be out of our control. Fortunately, MONEY TALKS/

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
That's to all for chiming in.
Some good opinions (and...well...eh)!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKA:

"Please be careful: some hackers have found something new. They take your profile picture and your name and create a new FB account. Then they ask your friends to add them. Your friends think it is you, so they accept. From that moment on they can say and post whatever they want under your name.
Please don't accept a second friendship demand from me, I have only one account.

oh dear

Eardley Rudman

Posts: 47 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eardley Rudman:
quote:
Originally posted by AKA:

oh dear

FB paranoia is when your friends friends are not your friends and your friends may not be either.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great example of why I am thankful I've never seen the appeal of FB.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you honestly believe that when the general public sees african animals being shot and trophy pics that there is any other reaction than "is that legal? Look at all those african wild animals being slaughtered like crazy-we've got to put an end to this"?
On the other hand with so many hunters going to Africa today and with the technology of today it may just be impossible to keep pics and such off social media.Best we can do is live with it and try to keep it clean and get a conservation message across.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I will post and authorize posting of my hunting trophies wherever and whenever I wish.

That definitely includes AR, thanks to our generous host, Saeed.

But that will never include any of the so-called "social media" websites.

I don't post on any such sites. They seem to be habituated chiefly by morons, or at least the 50% of the human race that is below average intelligence.

I guess I am just too discriminating with respect to those with whom I socialize, even electronically.

I think John (or the general idea, even if it wasn't John's) is right, and we should all discriminate in the same way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
In the end, we give an inch, they take whole arm with shoulder blade attached.
Everything everyone does in this world can be considered " Minority "
Please everyone, don't let your heart to be troubled.
Do what you like and enjoy and it's all gonna be OK
I for one won't hide things I like to do, hunting particular...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
In the end, we give an inch, they take whole arm with shoulder blade attached.
Everything everyone does in this world can be considered " Minority "
Please everyone, don't let your heart to be troubled.
Do what you like and enjoy and it's all gonna be OK
I for one won't hide things I like to do, hunting particular...

This view is myopic and counterproductive. If you don't think we are getting our ass kicked you are delusional. You keep posting the same thing. The facts do not support what you are proposing. We have to be smarter about how we go about things. We have lost elephant importation for Zim and Tanzania. It will never come back. Lion is on the brink. Airlines are refusing to ship trophies. So you think everything is grand?

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I agree with BoarKiller, and honestly believe that hiding what we do from public view is only going to hasten the end of hunting.

This entire discussion points out WHY hunters are losing, we can not find a consensus on ANY subject, so we begin blaming/pointing fingers/making accusations, all of which leads to insults and innuendo concerning others character or beliefs.

Why not just let the individual determine their own course of action? If they want to keep posting pictures, that is their choice. If they don't and believe doing such is only hurting hunting, that is their choice.

Point being Hunters as a group can never/will never stand together and agree on anything, Other Than The Future Of Hunting Looks Bleak.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I agree with BoarKiller, and honestly believe that hiding what we do from public view is only going to hasten the end of hunting.

This entire discussion points out WHY hunters are losing, we can not find a consensus on ANY subject, so we begin blaming/pointing fingers/making accusations, all of which leads to insults and innuendo concerning others character or beliefs.

Why not just let the individual determine their own course of action? If they want to keep posting pictures, that is their choice. If they don't and believe doing such is only hurting hunting, that is their choice.

Point being Hunters as a group can never/will never stand together and agree on anything, Other Than The Future Of Hunting Looks Bleak.

And I disagree with you. I feel that hunters will learn to stand together for the common good. It has nothing to do with hiding from public view. It has to do with being smart. It has to with with using social media as a platform to work for us to saturate to the market with the positive benefits of hunting as a critical and vital role in conservation. I am advocating being smarter in how we engage. As far as those who are proud they have never been of Facebook. That is fine. It rolls on without you dispensing it's own brand of activism and justice whether you choose to be aware of it or not. The enemy is entrenched in social media and is beating us senseless using our own material against us. Time to change tactics.

Jeff