Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Facebook

Monthly Visits 20,000,000,000
Monthly Active Users 1,500,000,000

Accurate Reloading

Monthly Visits 182,000 (0.0009% of Facebook)
Members (Not Necessarily Active Users) 48,000 (0.0032% of Facebook)

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually, the latest stats have Facebook at over 1 billion users!
They set a record last month with 1 out of every 5 people on the planet engaged on there in one day!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
One out of very five people used FB in a day, while the other four did not get anything decent to eat that day.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
how bout just getting off facebook

Facebook provides a "service" to many. For some it's a place to share where you are every minute of the day including a picture of your lunch.

To all their own. Fact is when a trophy picture is shared, either on Facebook or via email, the target audience can be chosen. There are privacy settings for such. If you put something on a public then you are allowing anyone and everyone a chance to voice their opinion.

Joyce has a FB page. We use it jointly to keep in touch with multiple friends throughout the world simultaneously. A daunting task via other means.

We used FB as a platform to allow folks to follow Joyce's cancer journey. It helped us stay strong and helped friends stay safely informed without the worry of "what to say".

We don't saturate the page with "trophy" pictures but do put a freezer filler picture on there now and again. Have never experienced push back except a benign statement of "I feel sorry for the Moose". The reply from Joyce was, "I'm grateful for the Moose it fed three families".

The "discussion" went no further.

Neither of us would ever put a picture of a dead Lion or Elephant on there. PERIOD!!

Part of the FB problem from folks like John Sharp and many who have booking agencies or guide is they make their pages "public" and use it as advertising. It's their right as I see it but we all are now paying the price.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Dead animal photos will not win the hearts and minds of the anti-hunters.

Dead animal photos will paint us in a light that is hard for the non-hunting crowd to lean to the extremist views of the anti-hunting crowd.

I agree with John Sharp.

A campaign of management based hunting is what we need to approach. The idea of winning over a non-hunter by showing them photos of an animal we killed is not going to happen.

CAMPFIRE needs to be explained, Hunters for the Hungry needs to be talked about. Photos of dentist or any of us with dead animals isn't helping our cause.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Does this include hunt reports and photos posted here? The antis seem to lurk around this site from what I understand.

And if you don't believe the above happens...look at this! Start about page 71 and see if there is anyone you know.

I asked Saeed to host and pin this to the top of the Forum in the Lion Conservation Forum back in 2010...under "How the Anits Use and Abuse Our Posts".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I couldn't disagree more. Who cares what they think or do. We should never hide what we do, we are hunters and hiding it from the non hunting public won't help anyone but the antis.
If we stop displaying pictures on the internet then whats next our offices, homes, then what? If we stop then all of these have to be pulled John, no skulls no tusks nothing of the dead animal can be shown.

That would include every outfitter and booking agents website including yours john.

Then what we could do is just have a link to the national Geographic website pics of live animals as an example of what we hunt.

An Ivan, REALLY after you've made your living broadcasting hunting all over the world on TV for years.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eardley Rudman:
It's rather sad to see how not only our freedom to hunt is being eroded but freedom of expression is also now at stake.

Not only hunting videos as Fairgame says, but what about fishing pictures? Hell, soon we won't be able to upload pictures of our kids in fear of the PC brigade!

The above statement is why hunters should consider voting for Don Trump.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Lane.......... is Trump slipping you a few bucks on the side for promotion? Wink Big Grin

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Lots to think about on this subject. I think of it this way: We are all reasonably certain our fathers screwed our mothers at some point in time. But we are also reasonably certain that it would be bad form to ask, "How was she?"

Point being there is a time and place for everything - including pics of dead animals. As for the anti-hunters, I don't care about them, not one whit. BUT, I do know that how I present myself and the things I enjoy says something about me, and in turn something about those who take part in activities similar to mine. I ask myself, "Do my actions help or hurt my continued enjoyment of said activity…" and go from there.

You may not agree with my opinion, but the question then becomes, "Is the way YOU present hunting, etc, a detriment or a compliment to hunting?" If it's to be "in the face" of your enemy I would say it's the former, if it's to be the face of your allies it is the latter.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Lane.......... is Trump slipping you a few bucks on the side for promotion? Wink Big Grin

Cool

Really...I am just tired of waking up every morning and watching the news about a country I hardly even recognize anymore.

And I know through my sources gained from working on the lion thing that the Clinton Foundation was the driving source behind the ivory ban.

While Marco Rubio or Chris Christie or Ben Carson or even Jeb might not pile on...I don't believe they are going to take up the cause of Africa vs. USF&WS.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:

Cool

Really...I am just tired of waking up every morning and watching the news about a country I hardly even recognize anymore.

I hear ya............ north of the 49th we have witnessed a long term died in the wool Conservative province, Alberta, vote in an NDP government (think handouts). Then our federal election saw the damn Liberals get voted in with a majority government. The whole world is circling the drain!! Frowner

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
I couldn't disagree more. Who cares what they think or do. We should never hide what we do, we are hunters and hiding it from the non hunting public won't help anyone but the antis.
If we stop displaying pictures on the internet then whats next our offices, homes, then what? If we stop then all of these have to be pulled John, no skulls no tusks nothing of the dead animal can be shown.

That would include every outfitter and booking agents website including yours john.

Then what we could do is just have a link to the national Geographic website pics of live animals as an example of what we hunt.

An Ivan, REALLY after you've made your living broadcasting hunting all over the world on TV for years.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I agree. It doesn't matter what we do, they will hate us anyway. I refuse to change my life based on what a bunch of 'conservationists' who have probably not stepped off the pavement in the last ten years. Don't give an inch to any of them, I'm not one that will let them push me around, they will just want more.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
NO STUPID POSES, CLOSE UPS OF BLOODY BULLET HOLES, CRAZY GRINS LIKE YOU JUST SCREWED THE PROM QUEEN/KING, HIGH FIVES, BACKSLAPPING AND OTHER WEIRDO, JACKASS BEHAVIOR.

That is a good base line to start with, understanding that there is NOTHING we can do to change the minds of the anti's is equally important.

We are not going to win in the long run, but that run might be a tad longer if we do not run and hide.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was young it was common to see deer strapped across the hood of a hunters vehicle being driven around showing off their successful hunt.
Then as four wheelers became popular we saw deer on the racks of the wheeler that was either loaded in the bed of the truck or in a trailer doing the same.
In a hunters safety course our instructor explained that it was offensive to the non hunting public & that we should be considerate & not offend them, because it could bite us in the butt if we kept it up. It is now very rare to see a deer tied onto a vehicle going down the road with it's tonged hanging out.
Now I don't give a flip about what the anti hunters think, but I do care about what the general public thinks. First, I just don't want to be offensive towards my friends & neighbors, second, if I offended enough people, laws may be passed that affect me & my hunting.
I have close friends who are not anti hunters but it would not take very hard of a push to put them into that category. They are genuinely good friends & visit in our home regularly & see my mounted trophies. They accept it, just don't want to hear about it nor see bloody photos.
I could be brash & in their face about it & loose 2 very dear friends in the process.
I respect them & they respect me.
They also vote!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
gents , i have to say there are pictures and there are pictures - i do not agree with taking down every pic or trying to erase every minute of video heck we all know once its on the web its there forever pretty much , i just think we need to make sure that what we post is tasteful and well explained - does this mean we are pulling our heads inside our shells - NO - not at all,but we need to try our very best to put our best foot forward - like or not , the antis have proven time and again that they are better organized and own social media and whatsmore they are using social media to generate significant following and opinions - and yes this in turn is affecting the decision making process of law and policymakers - just visit the Facebook page "stop trophy hunting now" and you will see a plethora of tasteless hunting photos all used to generate hype and in turn opinions !

look at hunting organizations and the engagement on the social media side is nothing short of pathetic - this is a result of "paid likes" from adverts that make the #of people who like the page look high, for example the DSC page has 10761 "likes' but the last three posts have 25 likes , 3 likes and 2 likes respectively -

the SCI page not much better with 43904 likes the average likes per post is seldom more than 30 with one about shotguns getting to over 300

i know some of you are saying "why does that matter" it matters because the antis are using social media to generate public opinions - if you only hear one side you believe that one side

those of you who think you will win this by doing what you have always done , i am afraid are not correct - the hunting world in particular in africa is shrinking and its for two reasons - the explosive human population growth AND influence on policymakers - policymakers who often call for public opinion before changing anything -

there has never been a time in history when its been more important to be pragmatic and open minded in our approach - to explore different ways of educating, informing and representing hunting - we hear time and again from people how offensive trophy photos are and how inflammatory they have become - resist change and dig your heels in by all means and yes, you are free to post and offend who you like, but if we all simply stick our chins out , dig in our heels and refuse to explore a different approach we must not be surprised when our hunting experiences are confined to thirteen lined ground squirrels in the backyard with an air rifle - because in time the rest close -

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Mjines makes an appearance to lecture all of us in 3......2......1.....

My thought exactly, we will soon be told what is the correct thing to do by the one who knows all nilly How about, if it is your page and your contacts are hunters and would enjoy the photos make your own decision. I don't plan on living my life or picking my game by what either the Anti's or MJines think is appropriate!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely ridiculous.

Jerry - yes i have broadcast hunting- lots of it - but ALWAYS with a great effort from everyone on the team to talk about the benefits -the conservation ethos , indeed the whole mantra on every single show or production is conservation through hunting - indeed we still need that -

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

there has never been a time in history when its been more important to be pragmatic and open minded in our approach - to explore different ways of educating, informing and representing hunting - we hear time and again from people how offensive trophy photos are and how inflammatory they have become - resist change and dig your heels in by all means and yes, you are free to post and offend who you like, but if we all simply stick our chins out , dig in our heels and refuse to explore a different approach we must not be surprised when our hunting experiences are confined to thirteen lined ground squirrels in the backyard with an air rifle - because in time the rest close -

This is the crux of the matter.

To the uninformed AND now the fence sitters due to our shitty diligence:

All killing is bad.

Hunters are sick and evil.

Poaching equals hunting.

Stop legal hunting and save the anthropomorhized megafauna.

We have only ourselves to blame.

It is time to turn the tide.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:

. . . we need to try our very best to put our best foot forward - like or not , the antis have proven time and again that they are better organized and own social media and whatsmore they are using social media to generate significant following and opinions - and yes this in turn is affecting the decision making process of law and policymakers . . .

. . . look at hunting organizations and the engagement on the social media side is nothing short of pathetic . . .

. . . i know some of you are saying "why does that matter" it matters because the antis are using social media to generate public opinions - if you only hear one side you believe that one side

those of you who think you will win this by doing what you have always done , i am afraid are not correct - the hunting world in particular in africa is shrinking and its for two reasons - the explosive human population growth AND influence on policymakers - policymakers who often call for public opinion before changing anything -

tu2

Sometimes it is hard to tell what group represents the great threat to the long-term viability of hunting . . . hunters or anti-hunters.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
BTW...I agree. Don't put dead animals on Facebook! We were able to enjoy hunting and share our experience pre-FB...we can still do it the same today.

Those in the biz...should put live animals and conservation messages on theirs.

The old saying that a picture is worth a 1000 words...works in reverse as well. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never use facebook, and really cannot see myself using it for anything whatsoever.

We have had some individuals who came here and posted asking for information about safari hunts, got all they wanted, went hunting, and posted their glorious photos on facebook!

They did not like all the negative comments they got, and were very upset.

Anyone remembers the lionaid facebook page?

Where they will not allow any comment which is against their convoluted view of hunting at all??

And banned anyone who did??

I have seen some terrible videos posted on youtube - which demonstrate a very disturbing behavior by some towards animals, which I am sure non of us here would like to see happen.

I like to hunt, and could not careless what the antis think of it.

I will post my hunt reports and photos here - as many members do, and we all enjoy reading the reports and looking at the hunt photos.

As I keep repeating, we should stop listening to the fringe idiots, and do what we wish in our chosen sport.

The antis look at us as worse than the common murderer - in fact they DO call us murderers.

And when one is dealing with idiots with such lack of intelligence, one should not give them any thought at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

. . . we need to try our very best to put our best foot forward - like or not , the antis have proven time and again that they are better organized and own social media and whatsmore they are using social media to generate significant following and opinions - and yes this in turn is affecting the decision making process of law and policymakers . . .

. . . look at hunting organizations and the engagement on the social media side is nothing short of pathetic . . .

. . . i know some of you are saying "why does that matter" it matters because the antis are using social media to generate public opinions - if you only hear one side you believe that one side

tu2

Sometimes it is hard to tell what group represents the great threat to the long-term viability of hunting . . . hunters or anti-hunters.

If you believe that...then look in the mirror for the answer.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
gents , i have to say there are pictures and there are pictures - i do not agree with taking down every pic or trying to erase every minute of video heck we all know once its on the web its there forever pretty much , i just think we need to make sure that what we post is tasteful and well explained - does this mean we are pulling our heads inside our shells - NO - not at all,but we need to try our very best to put our best foot forward - like or not , the antis have proven time and again that they are better organized and own social media and whatsmore they are using social media to generate significant following and opinions - and yes this in turn is affecting the decision making process of law and policymakers - just visit the Facebook page "stop trophy hunting now" and you will see a plethora of tasteless hunting photos all used to generate hype and in turn opinions !

look at hunting organizations and the engagement on the social media side is nothing short of pathetic - this is a result of "paid likes" from adverts that make the #of people who like the page look high, for example the DSC page has 10761 "likes' but the last three posts have 25 likes , 3 likes and 2 likes respectively -

the SCI page not much better with 43904 likes the average likes per post is seldom more than 30 with one about shotguns getting to over 300

i know some of you are saying "why does that matter" it matters because the antis are using social media to generate public opinions - if you only hear one side you believe that one side

In my opinion, this statement is the largest component of why we are, where we are.

As I've stated in the past, our political leaders are only interested in re-election. Each and every activity is weighed in the light of will this be a net positive or a net negative for my re-election. This means, when we ask for a politician or public policy maker to go out on a limb for an activity that is only 10,000 nationally (Craig Boddingtons numbers from a few years ago) they know they are going against the grain.

This is clearly something they will not do.

The numbers I've heard are approx 10K total African hunters and 2,500 Elephant and Lions hunters from the USA. Not a constituency to get anyones attention.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It strikes me that many people posting here are not too computer savvy as to how Facebook and a lot of social platforms work. As a private individual, who has no business need to more widely disseminate your photos or other information, you can restrict your photos to just your friends or even subsets of those friends.

So unless you are a bit of an egoist who wants to share your life with the rest of the world, get savvy or ask someone for help. Not a big deal really, but you still should be somewhat considerate to not stick the gory stuff in front of your non-hunting friends as I posted earlier.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

In my opinion, this statement is the largest component of why we are, where we are.

As I've stated in the past, our political leaders are only interested in re-election. Each and every activity is weighed in the light of will this be a net positive or a net negative for my re-election. This means, when we ask for a politician or public policy maker to go out on a limb for an activity that is only 10,000 nationally (Craig Boddingtons numbers from a few years ago) they know they are going against the grain.

The numbers I've heard are approx 10K total African hunters and 2,500 Elephant and Lions hunters from the USA. Not a constituency to get anyones attention.

Unless you are Don Trump and your sons safari hunt.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi Lane, Hope you're well.

I have two issues with your statement, first Donald Trump has no soul. Second, regardless his sons hunting, I think he is the absolute worst GOP candidate. This is probably best for the PF.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Saeed here. I'll never have a facebook page, but I do use it to check on witnesses, opposing counsel, etc. People are stupid about what they put out there -- it's pretty amazing.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Agree with Saeed here. I'll never have a facebook page, but I do use it to check on witnesses, opposing counsel, etc. People are stupid about what they put out there -- it's pretty amazing.

I'm curious. How do you see anyone's page other than "profile picture and wallpaper" if their privacy settings are friends only?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree one has to be very selective posting hunting pictures on Facebook and other social media sites.

YouTube with kill videos is especially bad. I have some friends who have posted kill shot videos on YouTube and they end up looking really stupid and awful. I would take trophy pictures on Facebook before YouTube videos.

Facebook is most often tied to a real name and person. AR is not. AR cannot be searched by Google. But end of day AR backbone for posting pictures is anarchic and outdated - sorry Saeed and Don.

If one goes back to the links on AR to photobucket which most people use to post on AR - you suddenly have access to all these photos beyond what was posted on AR. One needs to be very careful what one uploads to their photobucket account.

I personally think Facebook is a remarkable company and site - Saeed uses Instagram and whatsapp both owned by Facebook. End of day Facebook has a lot of eyes globally captured by Facebook, whatsapp, Instagram - there is a reason it is a 300 Bil market cap.

Just need to have judgement on what to post - a whitetail will not draw the same or any ire as a elephant. Posting pictures of dead pregnant tuskless will get you lynched on the net.

All the hunting celebrities are trying to build Facebook following for free ads. If you do hard core hunting you will max out at 5-10k. More social media friendly posting gets you 1mil. The hunting John sharp and most AR members do is great for conservation ect but very limited in its social media appeal.

A cute picture or video of a baby lion or tiger appeals to far more people than a picture
Of a dead lion. Not going to chance that anytime soon by plastering pictures of dead lions and elephants all over the place.

I will keep my trophy picture on Facebook cause they are tied into albums with a lot of other general wildlife pictures. I also don't have any lion pictures on Facebook.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Facebook

Accurate Reloading

Monthly Visits 182,000 (0.0009% of Facebook)
Members (Not Necessarily Active Users) 48,000 (0.0032% of Facebook)

Precisely why I "saturate" on FB and don't keep my hunt report photos posted here for an extended length of time. Didn't we already go over that, Mike...or is your memory going? I have also, interestingly, never had an agent or outfitter steal my photos off FB which is something I can't say for my pics on AR.

I also find it funny that you agree with John Sharp but the Youtube video of you shooting a sleeping lioness still exists online for all to see. How do you think that video represents us as hunters? You are simply a hypocrite and everyone knows it.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi Lane, Hope you're well.

I have two issues with your statement, first Donald Trump has no soul. Second, regardless his sons hunting, I think he is the absolute worst GOP candidate. This is probably best for the PF.

The context of the the discussion by you was politics. My comment was within the context. You are certainly entitled to your opinion on Trump. But, if you want to arrest the USF&W machine before they actually openly announce they are anti-hunting...might be the only way. The Clinton Foundation got the ivory ban and as you know...it is under the total control of the executive branch. Currently, one of the biggest Greenies in the world (Sally Jewel) is boss of the USF&WS as Secretary of Interior. I personally think the discussion is very valid.

Hi back and I hope you are well too Steve! Smiler
Lane

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Why, because thousand of people see my photos on FB rather than hundreds here....and because none of those thousands have stolen my images for commercial purposes? Why don't you go shoot some more sleeping dangerous game, Mike...cuz no one is buying your moral authoritarianism here anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen lately that there is a lot of personal interaction on various threads that has no meaningful contribution to the discussions taking place.

A polite request - How about you guys take your personal issues offline and stick to the topics at hand?

Isn't this thread about discussing global issues that impact all of us?

Can we try and do it by debating the merits of each other's arguments rather than calling people out? Aren't we all a bunch of adults in the room?

It really sucks is all I can say!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never spent a single moment on Facebook and probably never will.

But I remain surprised at the efforts of some to be so focused on pleasing the so called antis.

Do we remember the last 50 years of gun ownership in America? And with that, how many antis have been swayed by attempts to "educate " them or even by solid statistics. Sadly very few.

Or better yet to just "compromise" on the issues deemed important that day. I don't know how that 1/4 of a pie we have left is going to be after it gets cut in half a few more times. But it will preserve something for someone I am told. Hmmmm . . . or maybe not. If we hadn't had some turns in this over the past few years then non e of this might be an issue. But the pendulum swung the other way at a very good time.

It is easy to be an anti - an anti anything. I believe that based on history, too many want to believe that if they could just help that anti understood hunting things would be better. That sounds good, but by and large it doesn't work. They really don't care. More than that they just don't like you or us for various reasons. They also don't like what you (we) do and how you (we) are. The agenda is deeper.

But here is a thought. Instead of focusing on them, which wont do much good , take 5 people hunting that WANT to participate. There will be 5 allies. Take 5 people to learn to shoot that WANT to do it. I have. I have given away a variety of shotguns, rifles, and handguns to participants from about 10 - 60 years old who wanted to learn and be part of hunting or shooting or both. You will have a much more rewarding experience and actually do some good. Would you convert and satisfy 5 of 100 antis - probably not.

I am somewhat selective on who I elect to share details in my life with. Whether that is business, or hunting, or travels, or most anything. When I do it is tasteful and fairly well received. I don't really go out of my way to insult anyone. But at the same time, I am not putting up with a lot of crap either.

I have a feeling that somewhere on this Earth hunting will continue just like it has for centuries. Whether that is in Texas, or in Africa, or in Argentina, or in other places too. It just might be more expensive. Which is a complaint I have had for years. If you drive the price of a whitetail up to $5000 yes I can still hunt and get one. How about those 5 guys above? That is one contributing reason that we have less hunters today. Now even more hunting has leaned to be more about money. Now fear has combined to start a bigger crack.

I have said it here on several occasions. I have a number buddies that are shooters. Some have safes full of fine and expensive guns and could hunt anywhere they choose to at just about any price. Some don't care to, some didn't hunt in their earlier years, many hunt birds, and some are occasional hunters but enthusiast shooters. One thing for many of them is that other than politicians trying to restrict their rights and the other general roar, those are the extent of their hassles. They don't have someone attempting to tell them what they should be doing. If they want to shoot targets at 10 or 100 or 1000 yards then they do so. If they want to pop a suppressor on or rattle off a couple full auto mags then they do it. With the addition of course that it is safe to them and others.

A lot of those guys don't believe that hunters care too much for their issues either. How many deer hunter really support his efforts to have his full auto guns? Or to help battle with the NFA regulations? To me these are the kind of guys that we should be bringing in more of. The shotgunner, clay bird shooter, dove hunter, long range rifle owner, AR owners, hand gun shooters, hand gun owners, and every women you can get. Smiler

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
"We are preoccupied with what we perceive as issues of logic, when in reality they are issues of emotion. If we want to influence and win the argument we had best start by putting ourselves, however briefly, in the shoes of our critics."

Shane Mahoney

"[W]e hunters have become our own worst enemy. For too long now we have let unethical practices go unchallenged. This has tarnished our image. We've let canned hunting become an accepted norm. Confusing long-range sniping with ethical walk-and-stalk hunting has led to us being regarded as killer rather than sportsmen. Our biggest failure, however, has been in not developing ways to counter the anti-hunting onslaught we are now facing. If we lose this round Africa's wildlife is doomed. Now is the time for ethical hunters worldwide to stand up for what we know is right."

Kevin Robertson

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
You know, I can't help but notice that the PHs proposing and in favor of this ridiculousness are either very well established or indeed approaching the end of their careers. Given that, the dent in their advertising capabilities if people (and they) embraced the proposed ideas would be of little consequence as they have already reaped the benefits of very public hunting either in the form of its exposure on social media or television. I therefore can't help but wonder how a freshly minted 25 year old PH might feel about all this. Something tells me their opinions might differ substantially.

This whole thing is a bit like the guy who has already shot a dozen elephant or several lion suddenly becoming "conservation minded" and telling others to ease off these species. As usual, it's either "Do as I say and not as I do" or "Do as I say and not as I HAVE DONE". Essentially, it's a matter of "I got mine, now all the rest of you can piss off".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
You know, I can't help but notice that the PHs proposing and in favor of this ridiculousness are either very well established or indeed approaching the end of their careers. Given that, the dent in their advertising capabilities if people (and they) embraced the proposed ideas would be of little consequence as they have already reaped the benefits of very public hunting either in the form of its exposure on social media or television. I therefore can't help but wonder how a freshly minted 25 year old PH might feel about all this. Something tells me their opinions might differ substantially.

This whole thing is a bit like the guy who has already shot a dozen elephant or several lion suddenly becoming "conservation minded" and telling others to ease off these species. As usual, it's either "Do as I say and not as I do" or "Do as I say and not as I HAVE DONE". Essentially, it's a matter of "I got mine, now all the rest of you can piss off".

Quite correct.

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike apparently the first Mahoney guy didn't come to the idea that there was not going to be any quid pro quo in this.

As for the second Robertson , he doesn't account for there is more hunting in more places with more game now than at any time before. It isn't going to just turn off across the board because of criticism of some practices.

The same thing happened in motorcycling. Finally Harley guys came and said you know what - we don't care. We don't care about what you want. We don't care about about how you want it. We are going to do it our way. If it doesn't please you I don't care. If you get in my space or you interfere then it is going to get much uglier even faster. Guess what - the antis mostly decided to just leave it alone.

I am glad motorcyclists and hunters remain individualists. In large part they should remain that way.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit:

Don't have a clue. IT people get great stuff off of facebook and other similar media. Can't do it myself.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote