THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Country/Area unchanged by civilization??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country/Area unchanged by civilization??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In today's world it is hard to believe that there are any places left in Africa that have remained pristine, like it was 500 years ago.
For those of you who have traveled throughout Africa, does such a place still exist?
I would enjoy hearing your comments!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
You mean like capturing a ‘savage’ and making him your slave? No! Wink

You mean like getting permission from a ‘savage’ chief, and then hunting as many as you can elephants for years in that area? No! Wink

You mean that for a significant walking distance in any direction the area ‘looks’ and the animals behave as if the reply to the first two questions were “Yes!� Yes! Big Grin

There are many quite large areas in South Africa’s Kruger National Park where, if away from tourist roads, the animals will behave towards man as they did 500 years ago. But don’t climb that hill, you will see the blacktop road or power lines on the other side! thumbdown

Very much the same applies to many other southern African reserves: There are larger and smaller areas where, at least superficially, there is little evidence of civilization. Even very small areas on game ranches still look just like it did 500 years ago! WinkJust wait, can’t hear your question with that damn jet passing overhead! Mad

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Andrew, I get your point!! No Tarzan movies anymore!
I was thinking like parts of CAR, Congo, and Parts of Tanzania. I have never been to these places, only Namibia and Zimbabwe.....so far!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kalahari Central Reserve, in Botswana.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several such areas come to mind in Ethiopia.
And some that were like that 20 years ago that are absolutely ruined today.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Africa, but the highlands in Papua New Guinea are the wildest place I ever hope to be.
People eating people live there and it has bugs that bigger enough to carry off my dog.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Areas with heavy tsetse fly populations, like western Tanzania, preclude much civilization. We did not see even a native village between the Kigosi River and the Moyowosi River. The only thing we saw that Stanley wouldn't
have seen in his search thru the area for Dr. Livingston back in the 1800's was that some of the honey gatherers had come in on old bicycles.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Not Africa, but the highlands in Papua New Guinea are the wildest place I ever hope to be.
People eating people live there and it has bugs that bigger enough to carry off my dog.

That's the truth for sure.

And huge population of Moluccan rusa deer on the plains in the South as well. Except the natives drove out the safari operator there years ago.

I actually find Africa quite a crowded place. Way too many people there and everywhere.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The very fact that a "uncivilized" place is "discovered" makes it by definition civilized.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kilombero region of Tanzania, IMO, definetly would qualify.

*************************Conservationist. Reformed Attorney. Producer of Outdoor Media.

www.stevescott.tv

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Selous.

20,000 plus square miles, with no villages - no permanent inhabitants at all - and no cattle or other livestock or agriculture of any kind.

Just mopane clad hills and wide sand rivers - and wild animals, including all of the big four (and even some black rhino in certain, limited areas), and plains game by the tens of thousands.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote