THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How many other hunters were there in your camp?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many other hunters were there in your camp?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Often in safari videos there are many people seated around the dinner table or around the campfire. One video in particular, there must have been 10 people around the table; all of them hunters/observers.

I was just wondering what is the norm? You know, on average, how many hunting parties are there in the typical camp at one time?

Thanks,

Landrum.

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've been in 5 camps and it was only my hunting partner and myself in all but one.

In the one camp I was the first hunter to stay in what was until then a photographic camp. At one point in the safari a few photographic people popped in a for a couple nights. We normally ate at separate tables though.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If you are concerned you should ask for camp exclusivity in your arrangements.

I had one other member here in camp just for the first few days of my hunt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first safari I stayed in a lodge that had tour buses come in for overnite but my PH and I ate at our own table. Normally I have been in camp alone. Last year I hunted at Bishopstone in Zim which had two camps and on some nights the other hunter with his PH would come over for sundowners but return to their camp for dinner. I prefer not to have other hunters in camp unless we are a group (from home) hunting togeather. I don't like meeting new hunters in camp in the states or overseas. Sometime it goes well but mostly it is a cluster f*ck.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has all ways just been me and my party. I never asked for it to be this, but the outfit arranged it that way. I guess some outfits do see that if we are spending that kind of money, we should get all the attention from the camp staff.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In SA at Bobby Hansen Safaris there were 4 hunters and 3 PH's and in Zim there were 3 hunters and 3 PH's...that's not counting, of course, camp staff. NEVER felt crowded.

Gary
DRSS
NRA LIFER

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Landrum,

In our own concessions in Tannzania we never mix hunting parties. Camp and area exclusivity are part of the deal from our most inexpensive buffalo hunt to our full bag Masailand safaris. You might have an overlap of an evening as a new client comes in but not hunting days.

Exclusivity is not standard and depends on the company and area as some concessions can easily support multiple hunters and even camps. Also these hunt videos may have a couple of PH's, clients videographers, multiple observers, apprentice PH etc. It could look like quite a gang but actually there might only be 1 or 2 shooters.

Actually I've been in several camps with one or more other shooters particularly in RSA and have never felt crowded or that I didn't get my money's worth. Actually I've enjoyed the experience of having other hunters in my camp.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
A couple of times I have shared camps, but they were really lodges. Both were interesting.

The first was with a married couple, and the guy was weird. He had a high falsetto voice and was sort of odd looking. His wife was fairly attractive and spent a lot of time and attention on my PH. The camp "manager" got looped every night, and was sort of a train wreck himself, definitely at one of his last stops before oblivian.

Another time, we had the Greek Orthodox Patriach for Africa and his crew in camp. Man, those dudes can party!!! And they love to turn out in black, which is the color for clubbin.

They got the lodge, and we were relegated to the boma. I did notice the TV was tuned to the fashion channel when I turned it on the next morning......

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On both safaris (same place) I have been on, there were other hunters. Some were wrapping up safaris when we arrived, some arrived as we were wrapping up ours. The overlap was anywhere from 1 to 3 days.

I actually enjoyed meeting the other people. In addition to some Americans, there were Spanish, German, and Swedish clients. I thought is made the trip more interesting and everyone seemed to get along. The hunting area was HUGE (Chewore North) and I never felt like anyone was getting in the way of our hunt.

On the last trip, the only people who did not get along were a couple of Zim PH's (N'gagi's PH)who wanted to fight each other. However, this only lasted a few minutes and they decided it was more fun to have a few beers together and put their differences behind them.

Chewore North is a prime hunting area and the camp (Big5 Safaris on the Zambezi river) is set up for multiple hunters and fishermen. Unless you were willing to pay a pretty big premium, or had a party large enough to fill the camp, I doubt that they would agree to making the camp exclusive to you during your hunt.

In summary, I have only had good experiences in a shared camp. However, I acknowledge that if you get a bad apple in your camp, it could really put a damper on the experience.

YMMV

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had the hunt to myself in Africa. Most North America big game hunts I've been in camp with four to six strangers, but hunted alone.

Personally I love hunting just me and the guide/PH.

Being somewhere like Afton House with other hunters is fine. Once I'm hunting, I'm not good company. In the field other hunters I don't know are like a barking dog, I don't need it.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shumba

Do you remember what the two PHs were arguing about?

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
In Namibia, my son and I were the only hunters on 116,000 acres. Never saw another soul in 7 days. We stayed at a farm bed and breakfast. I guess it must have been offseason for them.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of 7 safari camps I have hunted out of, I only shared the camp with one other hunter, and this was for a few days. He was already in the camp, so I would say it was his camp anyway, and I was made aware of it before we went, the reason being that we changed area due to one of the trophies I wanted to hunt was not available out of the other camp. We got along fine, only saw him in camp at night at dinner and around the bar. I have had quite a few drop ins; friends, relatives, friends of friends, other PH's and girlfriends. No problems with any, they usually didn't stay long, and it was nice to see a new face once in a while. I always make it a point of discussing if I will have the camp to myself, and prefer it that way. I find most will try to work with you and honor your requests.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
When I was booked for my 21 day hunt this past year, Pierre van Tonder asked my permission if he could bring in some other hunters for buf during the last 7 days....I said sure for they would help with bait...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
On two trips, just me and my hunting partner. On one other, just me and the Mrs. On one other, me, the Mrs. and our other hunting couple. I like it that way. General socializing with large groups is better left for home in the States.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some camps were just me.

This year in the Omay, it started off as just me, the PH, the assistant PH whom I had hired as a cameraman, another PH from another company and the camp manager.

A bit later a client and wife arrived for the other PH. Then a day or two later another PH arrived who was a know-it-all and his client.

So that made nine of us.

Got a bit crowded. Also on the hunting side.

But the Northern Omay is owned by one outfitter, who "share-farms" off two-thirds of the concession quota to two other outfitters. So no way would you get "exclusivity" here whether you asked for it or not.

In 2002 the HHK camp in Matetsi was a bit like a hotel with clients flying in and out of Vic Falls staying over a night or more in that camp before flights before heading off elsewhere.

There was a HHK client and PH in camp. We were there as an emergency favour so probably were the intruders, but hunting a different block.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Except two 2 on 1 hunts, all mine have been only me. We have had PHs and client hunters from other camps come into our camp and have dinner, or lunch with us, and vice-versa. This usually happened when one or the other of us shot real late, and were far from our own camp, and both camps belonged to the same safari company! That was enjoyable, however!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
When hunting from a lodge in South Africa, there were six to eight hunters staying at the lodge, but we each had our own PH and hunted different areas. Everyone got along, and it was no problem.

When my cousin and I hunted from a camp in the Selous, we shared the camp for the first night with the hunters who were there before us, and they took the plane out that brought us in.

I suspect that the norm is to expect to share at a lodge, and except for transfer days expect not to in a true camp.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3831 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I had one other member here in camp just for the first few days of my hunt.

Yeah, and I hear he was a real ass hat. Big Grin

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:
...I had one other member here in camp just for the first few days of my hunt.

Yeah, and I hear he was a real ass hat. Big Grin

I was going to let you be anonymous, but since you bring it up...

Actually I am well known as a grouch so I imagine any conflicts in camp with me would be my fault...just like any conflicts at home are my fault. You can ask my wife... killpc

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
For the three safaris that I've been on( one as my uncle's guest), it's just been me and or my wife and one friend in the hunt camp. I prefer just me and my party and no one else. I don't think I'd care for a big crowd at camp. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
This is about other "hunters", but is a bit of a Hi-jack of the thread's intent.

In Tanzania this year, on the night of day 18 of my hunt, some vehicles came into camp late. We were up early and checked lion baits and returned to camp about 10:30 am. There were numerous african folks we didn"t recognize in camp. After spiffing up and going to the dining tent for a beer, the PH was already there, and showed me a letter from the director of the camps. The new folks were "gov't officials" and had been given permission to "take" one buffalo or two topi. My PH was instructed to help them get their game!!
Some-how he managed to kill them a buffalo and they left happy before 2 pm of the same day. This could have really put a damper on the rest of the hunt, but due to the PH's skill and luck we were able to hunt that same evening.
I fear this will be a continuing trend in most of the continent.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At a lodge in South Africa the Lodge owners dropped in for two nights. I was pissed with my PH as I found out that he had slept in the communal toilets/showers when I had a spare bed in my room.

The Lodge owners spent most of their time practicing with their 9mm's and the young son took his first impala.

The lad's mother was drop dead gorgeous, wearing full make up all the time. She floored me at dinner when she asked me "Are you a believer" (in Australia asking about your religious beliefs is considered more offensive than asking how long your penis is). All I could blurt out was "In what".

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
My one safari - Zimbabwe plains game - I was the only hunter in camp. Just me, the PH and his small staff and I found it to be absolutely great. I would be very careful about sharing a camp with "strangers" but there are some places where you can't avoid the possibility.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, finish the story AussieMike!

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have been in camps with one other group of hunters a few times, sometimes they were there for a day or 2 once a guy from spain was there for a 7 day hunt I was there on a 30 day hunt he came in the middle of my hunt-it was cool nice guy. Other times I have went to a camp for one night just on the fly.

point is for me its cool because its nice to meet other people and chat about what ever the topic of the day is.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've often had other hunters in camp. Sometimes its great and sometimes awful. Frankly I don't mind as long a the conversation is lively and about guns. Helped one guy who had serious rifle problems fix his sights and really felt pretty good about it.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my forst hunt,21 days in the Omay, a couple of clients and PH's were in camp for a day or two. and another client PH came into camp a day before I left. Also the PH and I spent 3 different nights in a nearby camp as they wanted me to shoot a cow elephant in that area to feed the locals.

On my second trip there was another PH and client in camp toward the end of my Safari.

On my last trip a hunter his wife and the PH came by one day for lunch.

On another day a guy and girl stopped over in our camp for the night. They were just traveling around.

I enjoyed meeting the other hunters and PH's as well as the 2 who wern't hunting.

It added to the enjoyment of my trip.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
404WJJeffery
about the Greek Orthodox Patriach for Africa and his crew in camp, remember that they must know the sin to fight it Big Grin

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
On my forst hunt,21 days in the Omay, a couple of clients and PH's were in camp for a day or two. and another client PH came into camp a day before I left. Also the PH and I spent 3 different nights in a nearby camp as they wanted me to shoot a cow elephant in that area to feed the locals.

Thats where I was when I used both camps because its a long drive from one camp to the other in the Omay North there are 2 camps so we took advantage of both, Butch the operator is cool.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a search on peoples experience sharing a camp and this thread came up. I plan on booking my first safari at DSC this year, and wanted to hear some of yalls experience sharing camp. Which do you prefer?

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
On our African safaris - just me and my father which is how I prefer it.

On an elk hunt a few years ago, there were two other hunters with whom we got along just fine.

For the past 5 years, our deer camp has had a few people that contributed to our hunting party movong to a new venue. It is for this reason I will always request exclusivity on any long-distance hunting trip.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
If I'm hunting something like buffalo, the more the merrier.

If it's something more specialized like cats, I prefer exclusivity.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
We were hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe at Matetsi Unit 4 with Mark De Wet, living out of Russ Broome's old home, when I was told another hunter looking for elephant and his PH would join us. He turned out to be a very pleasant fellow, brimming with self-confidence, sporting a big honkin' diamond earring, and offering what turned out to be very entertaining dinner conversation. After our first dinner, and over a glass of scotch, he asked me about my work, and after a brief explanation and figuring the topic open, I asked about his.

"My business involves the internet", he replied, "we sell domain names".

"Oh yeah, you mean like GoDaddy?", I replied.

"Exactly like GoDaddy - that's my company".

The guy sharing our camp was Bob Parsons, CEO and founder of GoDaddy.

For the next couple of days at dinner we kept one another amused with various job-related anecdotes and old war stories. For example, when I asked him how he got into his line of business, he told me how he was aimless and pretty much a bum up until joining the Marines and shipping off to Vietnam, where he served with the 1st Marine Division in Quảng Nam Province. (I've since learned that he was wounded in action and decorated for valor.)

When he got out he figured he'd at least take advantage of the GI Bill, so he enrolled at the University of Baltimore. Having no idea what classes to take, let alone major to declare, he asked an advisor for help. Opening up the catalog of classes, the professor began reading from the list. The first class mentioned was 'accounting', and not having any preferences one way or another, he said, "sounds good" and signed up as an accounting major.

Following college, he saw that home computers were the 'next big thing' and that spreadsheet programs held potential advantages for home users, not just professional accountants. So he hired some young code wizards and set about creating a home accounting program called MoneyCounts. Ten years later he sold his firm to Intuit for $64 million.

Not knowing what to do with all that money, and being a serial entrepreneur, he decided, since there was no dominant provider in that market space, that he would become a domain name retailer. Not a bad decision. He just sold GoDaddy to a consortium of investors, including KKR, for a modest profit. I think the number is $2.25 billion.

You meet some interesting folks in a safari camp.

My wife coveting Bob's massive diamond earring as breakfast is being finished in Russ Broome's old dining room at Matetsi Four

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had it both ways. In S. Africa I shared a camp with my hunting buddy and 5 other strangers including two couples. All were Americans and I liked one couple but couldn't stand the other. We all had different PHs but saw each other at lunch and dinner. The profound lack of knowledge about Africa and more specifically S. Africa was appalling. I tried to talk about something besides hunting and guns but the conversation always came back to what trophies were shot that day and whether they were going to make "the book". Fortunately my PH was black and I got to see a whole other side to life there that I would have otherwise missed.

In Namibia my wife and I were the only guests and spent our time in two different camps. It was a much better arrangement and I didn't have to hear endless recounts of stalks and shots.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KPete, thats pretty cool story.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
KPETE:

Your picture brought a huge smile to my face, not because of Parsons or the earring, but because of the condiments and the Black Cat peanut butter. Man do I love that stuff on my toast!

Funny how you see a visual cue like that and you're right back in safari camp, at the table, ready for the meal and whatever follows.

Thanks.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most camps in Africa, Canada, New Zealand and Australia i am usually and possible one other on his first or final days. We archery-types like amd encourage it!
However, i foubf myself in an Elk Camp on the Rim in AZ with 11 others in camo. Tagged out hunters who wouldn't go home, 2 less- than- professional film crews, mt guide,and my outfitter. Well, here is the business model: I WAS THE ONLY GUY PAYING THE FREIGHT!!
One schmuck wrighting cheques to a sea of Mossy Oak socialists taking as per their need.

Go figger...9% of us fund and finance 91% of those jackasses you see on film.

Obama economics in out World.
DaAL

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On our two trips to RSA, my wife and I were the only ones in camp. For us, that was a priority when selecting an outfitter.

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just me and the wife, or just me and one of my hunting companions. One year there were four of us friends hunting plains game with different PH's, but that was the exeception.