Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Jeff Rann!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
So I'm watching the outdoor channel yesterday night and Jeff Rann is at the 777 ranch guiding some bozos from "Raw and something or rather" or "something or rather and Raw" TV show. Some bozo with his bipod laiden monster rifle biffs a shot at an elk at less than 100 yards and then absolutely throws a tantrum complete with swearing and pouting!!! Roll Eyes .......and I think poor Jeff Rann! Demoted from double rifles and fine guns chasing lions, elephants, and buffalo in the Okavango to ranch elk in Texas with a bipod toating nimrod more capable of throwing tantrums than shooting straight!!! I bet he's itching for safari season 2010!!! Aren't we all! Happy new year all and a successful safari season to all! I'll see some of you at Reno!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
yeah, poor poor Jeff Rann Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that show some time ago. If I recall correctly the hunter was actually a SEAL sniper that was wounded in Afghanistan.

It was rather amazing that he missed that shot.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.777ranch.com/rates.html

I did not know Cape Buffalo hunting was even available in Texas. His ranch must be something to see with all the available game from the rate sheet.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is one person I wouldn't "feel sorry" for in the least...

Owning the 777..boo hoo.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, $50k for a Cape Buffalo

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
So I'm watching the outdoor channel yesterday night and Jeff Rann is at the 777 ranch guiding some bozos from "Raw and something or rather" or "something or rather and Raw" TV show. Some bozo with his bipod laiden monster rifle biffs a shot at an elk at less than 100 yards and then absolutely throws a tantrum complete with swearing and pouting!!! Roll Eyes .......and I think poor Jeff Rann! Demoted from double rifles and fine guns chasing lions, elephants, and buffalo in the Okavango to ranch elk in Texas with a bipod toating nimrod more capable of throwing tantrums than shooting straight!!! I bet he's itching for safari season 2010!!! Aren't we all! Happy new year all and a successful safari season to all! I'll see some of you at Reno!

Brett

I think that a Navy SEAL wounded in Afghanistan hardly qualifies as a Bozo. How much time have you spent serving your country? That's pretty lame, did you stop to think that maybe he was disabled as a result of his wounds and that caused the blown shot? I think you owe him and all veterans an apology.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Continent:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:

Brett

I think that a Navy SEAL wounded in Afghanistan hardly qualifies as a Bozo. How much time have you served in the military? That's pretty lame, maybe he was disabled as a result of his wounds, I think you owe him and all veterans an apology.

Aw, come on, maybe he was acting like a bozo at the time....I'm sure even the greatest people act like bozos on occasion. If I saw someone acting like a bozo, I'd like to think I'd tell them, regardless of their background. Once I told an ex selous scout something similar. I am still running admittedly, but I told him nonetheless! Lighten up, I reckon.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rich, what do you think of Jeff Rann?

Mike

Posts: 21674 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that episode a while back....thought it was in poor taste to say the least. Maybe it was all theatrics for the camera, who knows? Should have reloaded, held his position and maybe, just maybe, he might have gotten another shot.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
All this sounds like another soap opera for old guys with nothing better than cruise AR .... oops, that's me.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Hi Brett,

I believe you are referring to the program "Wild & Raw". Let me put things in perspective. The show is supposed to be a "lighter" take on hunting and shooting and is not supposed to be taken too seriously.

WILD character is National Sporting Clays champion Scott Robertson. He is a professional shooter who represent Beretta and is probably the most gifted shotgun shooter in the whole world. Given his prowess with shotgun, he is very very new to Rifle hunting and he discusses his trials and tribulations about rifle shooting and tries to bring humor to it.

RAW character is Marcus Luttrell....he is a genuine American Hero...wounded vet and he is new to everything related to hunting. The show is about two different characters trying to get along with each other, having fun on the way. If you referred to Marcus Luttrell as a Bozo then let me share a bit of his bio with you.

Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell was born in Huntsville, Texas in 1975. A graduate of BUD/S Class 228, he was the only survivor of the fateful events of June 28, 2005 in Afghanistan. Luttrell and three teammates from SEAL Team TEN were assigned to a reconnaissance mission, operation RED WING, in the Hindu-Kush mountain region of Afghanistan. Their objective was to gather intelligence on Taliban movement in the area. Luttrell’s team was eventually discovered and outnumbered by over 200 Taliban fighters. Petty Officer Luttrell was the only survivor. In the rescue mission that ensued, 16 Special Forces personnel, including 8 SEALs, died when their helicopter was shot down by Taliban fighters. It was the largest single-day loss of life in the SEALs history.

You can also order Marcus's book on Amazon...LONE SURVIVOR

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Sur...ration/dp/0316067598

Jeff Rann probably hosted Wild & Raw and probably allowed to take some management animals off of his hands....it is good publicity through the show and Marcus probably had a good time as well. You and I as Americans both owe a debt of gratitude to Marcus...the guy has a bunch of shrapnel still stuck inside his body which gives him constant pain every single day.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I served our country and I am quite sure Brett did not mean to speak negatively about a veteran. He and I certainly don't agree on everything, but cut him some slack here. He may not have realized the guy is a SEAL or even what the show was all about.

He can make it up to us vets by buying a beer for the next soldier he meets near Ft. Richardson.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Being a vet never excuses you for conduct unbecoming. Even a decorated vet. Barring that, all vets are heros. Given that Brett made an observation of ones behavior, you can't really give him any crap.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I've read "Lone Survivor" he is a hero to be sure. That said if he was acting like a bozo, good for Brett calling him a bozo. Does being a hero mean you are exempt from being called out for poor behavior EVER?
Also, that whole "have you served?" argument is weak to me. I always thought these men and women fought and died so we can think what we want.

FWIW, the description of the show sounds awful. We always argue hi-fences and captive lions and how this makes us look to the masses. A show about the lighter side of hunting? Ok. Wounding animals and throwing tantrums? Yeah that looks great for the industry. I'm very appreciative for this man and what he's done, but this show sounds stupid and he doesn't sound like he puts his best foot forward regardless of prior heroics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the show and agree he shouldn't have taken the shot, I think the Seal knew he rushed the shot and that was part of what made him mad. It started when the cameraman whistled at him to get him to move into the camera shot after he was set up waiting for the shot. IIRC He moved and set up again, still not good for the camera. He moves again and he barely gets the rifle to his shoulder when the Elk figured something was wrong and took off, he rushed the shot and missed. The Elk comes back out of the brush and onto the gravel road and Jeff tells him No don't shot him on the road LOL, so he was ready for the second shot but Jeff doesn't want him to drop it in the middle of the road LOL. The whole thing was a cluster@&%$. IIRC earlier the shotgun guy shot a better group when they were sighting in the rifles in an impromptu contest. So I think he was pissed at himself and the camera man. If you were a Seal Sniper and had the shotgun guy shot a better group then muff a shot on TV you'd be embarrassed and pissed at yourself too! He did throw a temper tantrum, but I will excuse the strong emotions considering what he has been through.
As far as his monster rifle, send it to me I would love one. A Sako TRG in .338 Lapua with a S&B Tactical scope, what else should a sniper shoot for a lighthearted TV show.

I think we need a new forum just for bashing PH's and SCI LOL

THANKS to all our servicemen and women who have given so much so we have the many freedoms we enjoy!!!

Posts: 30 | Location: Casper Wyo | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
Logout: The Accurate Reloading Forums
Update LiveCloud Account Reply

After reading Lone Survivor I agree that Luttrell is a hero. After seeing him on a hunting show on television I can see how someone would call him a bozo.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by volta:
quote:
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
Logout: The Accurate Reloading Forums
Update LiveCloud Account Reply

After reading Lone Survivor I agree that Luttrell is a hero. After seeing him on a hunting show on television I can see how someone would call him a bozo.

Well said. You got it done it two sentences. Hard to disagree with that logic. (but I'm sure some will, kinda the MO around here)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my time in in Vietnam in a Ranger Company, three tours and the start of a fourth. If SEAL training, we called it UDT School back then, is half as tough as Ranger School: none of you yappers would have had the balls to face him and call him on the shot.

There's a saying "been there, done that, got a T-shirt...". None of you lap dogs can likely find "There" on a map.

You all sleep soundly at night because dangerous men like Marcus Luttrell stood ready to do violence to the enemies of this country on your behalf. I was proud, in my time AND to this day to stand beside them and call them comrades in arms.

You may be excused to sit back down at your computers and compare your service to your country to his if you are up to it. Likely your greatest act of Patriotism is paying your taxes.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
ISS,
Is bad shooting and tantrums more acceptable because of who it is. I bet if this were MS instead you wouldn't think so.

I will give you that your response quoting T-shirts and other well constructed arguments did make me chuckle. I can see how maybe you would enjoy this show.

I think he's a true hero and deserves respect, I also think I have two eyes and know a dumb show when I see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Rich. Nice post. I'm gonna weigh in on this one because I know two of the three gents on the show. Marcus's credentials and service to the country cannot be argued. I don't know him but we all should respect him. He did more for America in one day than I've done my entire life.

I know Jeff and I know Scott, have competed with him and against him in many NSCA tournaments. He's an excellent shooter, but I wouldn't say the most talented in the world. Anybody that shoots sporting clays is aware of a Brit named George Digweed. He is without any doubt thee most talented shotgunner in the world. Meaning no disrespect to Scotty, because I consider him a friend, but Digweed is thee best in the world.

Jeff Rann is a friend as well, who has superb credentials as a PH.

The problem here, in support of Brett is that it was a bad episode of hunting television. I'll continue to watch the show before ultimately judging it, because I know one episode doesn't define a TV series. This one was just atrocious.

Humor, ethical hunting and the killing of animals on television, just sometimes don't mix. This show may have all the ingredients down the road to be a successful hunting program, a US war hero and a great shotgun shooter, who both are charismatic guys. That episode however, videotaped at the 777 ranch, just wasn't good television.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I put my time in in Vietnam in a Ranger Company, three tours and the start of a fourth. If SEAL training, we called it UDT School back then, is half as tough as Ranger School: none of you yappers would have had the balls to face him and call him on the shot.

There's a saying "been there, done that, got a T-shirt...". None of you lap dogs can likely find "There" on a map.

You all sleep soundly at night because dangerous men like Marcus Luttrell stood ready to do violence to the enemies of this country on your behalf. I was proud, in my time AND to this day to stand beside them and call them comrades in arms.

You may be excused to sit back down at your computers and compare your service to your country to his if you are up to it. Likely your greatest act of Patriotism is paying your taxes.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Repeat that, but use your best Jack Nicholson voice. Maybe throw in a "You can't handle the truth . . ." Really, lighten up, the screws get too tight and . . . boom. Cool

Lap Dog

Mike

Posts: 21674 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus Luttrell was awarded the Navy Cross for combat heroism by President Bush. As far as I'm concerned this gets Mr. Luttrell a pass for some hunting TV show gaff. As mentioned by others, he is new to hunting and is accustomed to acting quickly when things don't go as planned. Scripted hunting shows don't always allow follow-up shots and other normal hunting tactics. I've seen the show and would characterize Mr. Luttrell's behavoir as the frustrated expressions of a highly motivated individual. I've read his book and I don't feel worthy to carry his jock strap much less criticize him for poor hunting behavoir. This man put his life on the line for our freedom. How about we cut him some slack.

Jeff Rann has worked for many years bulding a very successful career as a PH and outfitter. His hard work has allowed him to accomplish things most of us only dream of. I've often found it interesting that some on AR can't pass-up the opportunity to take swings at folks that actually do the things they did not have the testicular fortitude to attempt themselves.

Next time you find ourself in AK wishing for sunshine and living your hunting life vicariously through TV shows, resist the urge to have a dick measuring contest.

You just sound sooooo silly.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Let's see, where to start...Loaded established African PH buys high fenced zoo in South Texas, donates livestock to be killed on tv for publicity, show brings in war vet sniper to take out the velvet farm bull elk at 100yds standing on a road in South Texas. Sniper misses 850lb bull standing broadside @ 100yds and proceeds to throw a temper tantrum blaming others for his botched attempt to snipe stall bull. Snipers behaviour gets questioned on worldwide hunting forum, poster is quickly crucified for questioning anything that a vet has done while every other "vet" on the forum proceeds to beat their chest and explain how they (and other vets) are superior to all others on forum who are not vets. Damn, guess I should have put on my profile that I was a vet, or black, rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I think that makes 3 "been there done that's". Can I just agree that it's ok he wounded the pet elk and threw a fit before we degenerate down to "git r done"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...crucified for questioning anything that a vet has done while every other "vet" on the forum proceeds to beat their chest and explain how they (and other vets) are superior to all others on forum who are not vets. Damn, guess I should have put on my profile that I was a vet, or black, rotflmo

Speaking only for myself, I think all you vets are superior to me - a non vet. I am humbled by your sacrifice to serve and think you've earned the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, what makes you think the 777 ranch is that much different from hunting consessions in Africa or other private hunting opportunities in the US? Heck, what about the folks that sit tree stands on 15 acres of private farm land to shoot trophy whitetails? If everyone was forced to hunt only on public land the majority of folks in the mid-west and east would be screwed.

I'm going to take my chill pill and relax. As Justin correctly noted, I was about to say "git-r-dun". Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched show...it sucked...won't watch it again...don't care who's in it or what they did...sorry

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care if he has 10 Navy Crosses and 54 Medals of Honor. If he acts like that, he's a bozo first class.

What is this worship of anyone who ever got drafted? I am not a vet. The DOD considered my team's work more valuable and gave me a critical skills deverment. We developed the first air-to-ground missiles which could lock on a ground target, moving or not. I would suspect we are responsible for saving a helluva lot more American lives than any one particular Seal.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Let's see, where to start...Loaded established African PH buys high fenced zoo in South Texas, donates livestock to be killed on tv for publicity, show brings in war vet sniper to take out the velvet farm bull elk at 100yds standing on a road in South Texas. Sniper misses 850lb bull standing broadside @ 100yds and proceeds to throw a temper tantrum blaming others for his botched attempt to snipe stall bull. Snipers behaviour gets questioned on worldwide hunting forum, poster is quickly crucified for questioning anything that a vet has done while every other "vet" on the forum proceeds to beat their chest and explain how they (and other vets) are superior to all others on forum who are not vets. Damn, guess I should have put on my profile that I was a vet, or black, rotflmo

Awesome post!!
clap clap clap

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
I don't care if he has 10 Navy Crosses and 54 Medals of Honor. If he acts like that, he's a bozo first class.

What is this worship of anyone who ever got drafted? I am not a vet. The DOD considered my team's work more valuable and gave me a critical skills deverment. We developed the first air-to-ground missiles which could lock on a ground target, moving or not. I would suspect we are responsible for saving a helluva lot more American lives than any one particular Seal.

Indy My Brother:

They have not drafted anyone for quite some time - that is why I "worship" the brave folks that volunteer to go in harms way. I also appreciate your contribution to our country's defense.

I certainly don't condone inappropriate behavoir; however, I don't know how you can reach such a decisive criticism from an edited/canned TV hunting show wherein none of us know exactly what did or did not happen. Accordingly, I give Mr. Lattrell the benefit of the doubt. BTW, I do care if he was awarded the Navy Cross for combat heroism.

Take care and good hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJ,

99% of the members here "Can't handle the truth..." if that truth put them in harms way.

Until you walk around a corner on a di-di trail and there are enemy soldiers coming up. And you trigger the grenade launcher barrel on your M-203 and watch a couple dozen buckshot tear into them and end their dreams of having a wife and children, or maybe they have them, and now there are widows and orphans that you created, or you carry a gut-shot friend a couple hundred yards to a high clear spot so a medevac chopper can take him to an Evac Hospital where a triage medic will determine that he is a dead man who is still breathing and screaming his guts out, and order a strong sedative that will let him die in peace or just a lack of pain, tucked away in a corner of the ER room where the ones who can be saved are waiting for that triage medic to get to them and make that decision on them to get treatment or the morphine shot.

Don't talk to me about it. Until you have "injun-ed up" on an enemy sentry and put a Ka-Bar into his kidneys, because a man stuck deeply there has a momentary shock/paralysis so you can get a hand across his mouth and feel him gasping for one more breath die, as the fluid spray coats your hand so the knife handle gets slick and it takes you an extra thirty seconds to grind the last breathe of life from him with that knife, keep your character analysis to yourself.

Until you watch a friend of eighteen months or so who has survived fifty missions and two/three-man scouts deep into enemy territory have some 8-9 year old kid walk up to him and detonate a small explosive charge after sitting on his lap asking for chocolates, and then shot that kid dead; Unless you have sat with that friend's head and shoulders in your lap while he spent the last five minutes of his life trying to stuff his guts back inside, until you have felt that slimy sensation loading him into a jeep trying yourself to hold those guts in: don't you presume to consider what is going round and round in that SEAL sniper's head.

He would have given his life to safeguard you and this country, he nearly did.

Sleep well tonight, men like he and I were and still are inside stand ready to safeguard your freedom, and right to post here.

Rich
Co/G 75th Inf Abn
The Ranger Companies

I have Ranger Company friends who have had so many demons inside their head, mostly that nightly litany and parade of every enemy soldier they ever killed, and every team member they watched die, until you have had

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
I doubt there is a single person on this forum who doesn't applaud the sacrifice given by those who have served in the military. That said, Brett was perfectly within his rights to call the show the way he saw it, without any consideration of this hunter's status as a veteran - decorated or not. Being a veteran does not give one license to behave badly.

Unless Luttrell's service in Afghanistan had something to do with his behavior at the 777 Ranch, his having been a SEAL with a Navy Cross is wholly immaterial to whether of not he in fact acted like a 'bozo'. Not having seen the show I'm agnostic on the matter. But, whether he was or he wasn't, I seriously doubt that Luttrell expects to be given a pass on his public behavior on the basis of his military heroics. And the notion that Brett owes him and all other veterans an apology is absurd.

Nor, by the way, should fellow veterans contrive offense at anything seen as hostile to one of their own; frankly, that's just a predictable excuse to roll out one's own military CV for the chest-thumping adulation of "lap dogs" and "taxpayers". Military service must never be confused as the measure of a citizen's patriotism.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MJ,

99% of the members here "Can't handle the truth..." if that truth put them in harms way.

Until you walk around a corner on a di-di trail and there are enemy soldiers coming up. And you trigger the grenade launcher barrel on your M-203 and watch a couple dozen buckshot tear into them and end their dreams of having a wife and children, or maybe they have them, and now there are widows and orphans that you created, or you carry a gut-shot friend a couple hundred yards to a high clear spot so a medevac chopper can take him to an Evac Hospital where a triage medic will determine that he is a dead man who is still breathing and screaming his guts out, and order a strong sedative that will let him die in peace or just a lack of pain, tucked away in a corner of the ER room where the ones who can be saved are waiting for that triage medic to get to them and make that decision on them to get treatment or the morphine shot.

Don't talk to me about it. Until you have "injun-ed up" on an enemy sentry and put a Ka-Bar into his kidneys, because a man stuck deeply there has a momentary shock/paralysis so you can get a hand across his mouth and feel him gasping for one more breath die, as the fluid spray coats your hand so the knife handle gets slick and it takes you an extra thirty seconds to grind the last breathe of life from him with that knife, keep your character analysis to yourself.

Until you watch a friend of eighteen months or so who has survived fifty missions and two/three-man scouts deep into enemy territory have some 8-9 year old kid walk up to him and detonate a small explosive charge after sitting on his lap asking for chocolates, and then shot that kid dead; Unless you have sat with that friend's head and shoulders in your lap while he spent the last five minutes of his life trying to stuff his guts back inside, until you have felt that slimy sensation loading him into a jeep trying yourself to hold those guts in: don't you presume to consider what is going round and round in that SEAL sniper's head.

He would have given his life to safeguard you and this country, he nearly did.

Sleep well tonight, men like he and I were and still are inside stand ready to safeguard your freedom, and right to post here.

Rich
Co/G 75th Inf Abn
The Ranger Companies

I have Ranger Company friends who have had so many demons inside their head, mostly that nightly litany and parade of every enemy soldier they ever killed, and every team member they watched die, until you have had

ISS, I have my DD214 and HD certificate, I manned up. I served my country and I NEVER had to apologize for my behavior. I never even expected a thank you.

I love our vets, our country was founded on the bravery of a few. Mere kids are asked to despicable things in the name of honor, but it is usually considered poor form to discuss in public.

Nothing ever excuses conduct unbecoming. Not for a Marine, not for a Seal, not for a Ranger, not for a grunt. We hold ourselves to higher standards, not because we are told to, but because we believe it ourselves.

Then again, our soldier in question didn't do much except for throw a tantrum, but it doesn't exempt him for criticism.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Bret owes him and other like him his and his families freedom. That away he can sit in front of a computer terminal and criticize.

How many big game animals has he even hunted?

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett didn't know about his prior service. I don't think Brett would criticize his service. I think that most people in the hunting/shooting world have a great respect for those that lay their life on the line, especially those that didn't choose too. His comment was just that the guy threw a fit when he missed. Most people agree that even heros stray from the path.

Vietnam left a lot of wounds as the popular thing during that time was to blame soldiers for the misgivings of politicians. Real Americans know the difference and are still thankful for those that came back and deeply saddened for those that didn't.

John

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, Bret owes him and other like him his and his families freedom. That away he can sit in front of a computer terminal and criticize.

How many big game animals has he even hunted?

Rich

Now I'm totally confused, Rich. From your several posts, it sounds like you're saying that Brett owes his freedom of speech to veterans like you, the price of which is to keep his opinions to himself when they have to do with veterans like Lutrell. Did I get that right?

Out of curiosity, how do you know that Brett hasn't done as much to safeguard our freedoms as Lutrell has? Or you? And what does the number of big game animals he's hunted have to do with the validity of his opinion?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order:

he owes those who fought for him and his family some respect, and perhaps if it does not stretch his sense of humanity too thin, some understanding.

two, we have not heard how many times he has hunted big game and whether he has ever experienced "buck fever".

Do I need to use smaller words for you?

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
All this sounds like another soap opera for old guys with nothing better than cruise AR .... oops, that's me.

You're often abrasive, arrogant and sometimes just plain mean, but damned hilarious as well (consistency is worth many bonus points here). Thanks for the giggle, dude. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
ISS,
Is bad shooting and tantrums more acceptable because of who it is. I bet if this were MS instead you wouldn't think so.

I will give you that your response quoting T-shirts and other well constructed arguments did make me chuckle. I can see how maybe you would enjoy this show.

I think he's a true hero and deserves respect, I also think I have two eyes and know a dumb show when I see it.

Ziiiiiiiiiiing! Big Grin

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
The only reason this Lutrell fellow (I've read his book) has come to prominance is because the mission he was on totally failed and his own personal resilience got him through. Similar to Bravo Two Zero in the first gulf war.

There are many other heros out there who got the job done and didn't fail and don't enjoy or seek publicity.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote