Poor Jeff Rann!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Let's see, where to start...Loaded established African PH buys high fenced zoo in South Texas, donates livestock to be killed on tv for publicity, show brings in war vet sniper to take out the velvet farm bull elk at 100yds standing on a road in South Texas. Sniper misses 850lb bull standing broadside @ 100yds and proceeds to throw a temper tantrum blaming others for his botched attempt to snipe stall bull. Snipers behaviour gets questioned on worldwide hunting forum, poster is quickly crucified for questioning anything that a vet has done while every other "vet" on the forum proceeds to beat their chest and explain how they (and other vets) are superior to all others on forum who are not vets. Damn, guess I should have put on my profile that I was a vet, or black, rotflmo

The best post so far on this thread, and so true.

And with all due respect to all the vets here, I bet we have individuyals who claim to be vets, and the truth is far from that.

One of the unfortunate results of the Internet.

Agreed - a standard rule of thumb is the amount of active service experienced by the individual is inversely proportional to the amount publicised by the individual.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed - a standard rule of thumb is the amount of active service experienced by the individual is inversely proportional to the amount publicised by the individual.

Very true in my experience! I have two business friends, I knew both for about 8 years before I found out they had been Rangers in Vietnam. Neither has talked to me about their experiences over there and I did not ask. In one case I was in a gym changing room and noticed a large "dent" or hole in the guys shoulder. When I asked him about it he just said "It was a punji stick".
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the show.

I also don't participate in unconditional"vet worship" either. I met too many dirtballs when I was AD to think they somehow became saints upon receipt of a DD-214.

But what I know of Luttrell (having read his book and read online some of the personal tragedies he has had since returning to the US) PO Luttrell gets a pass in my book for pitching the fit he seems to have pitched. Any emotional outbursts he may have had could easily be explained by what he went through in A-stan. (Hint: His book is titled Lone Survivor for a reason)

While he may have missed the made for TV shot, I will defer to his Navy experiences and training, go out on a limb, and suggest he is a better shot than his TV appearance would imply. Wink

I suggest those that have not read his book read it. It may put his actions in a bit of perspective. If emotional lability is the only scar he has, I would be surprised.

For those not inclined to read his book

As a member of a 4-man SEAL Team in Afghanistan, Marcus Luttrell was the only member of the team to survive this action. The mission resulted in one team member receiving a posthumous award of the Medal of Honor, and the other team members receiving the Navy Cross, making them the most decorated SEAL Team in history. Marcus Luttrell subsequently wrote a book about that mission appropriately titled "Lone Survivor" in which he recounted not only the mission, but the harrowing days following the combat action during which he was pursued by Taliban fighters, and was sheltered by Afghan civilians.

Navy Cross Citation
SYNOPSIS: The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Marcus Luttrell, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in actions against the enemy while serving in a four-man Special Reconnaissance element with SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE, Naval Special Warfare Task unit, Afghanistan from 27 to 28 June 2005. This Navy SEAL, who remains on active duty and whose identity has not yet been revealed, demonstrated extraordinary heroism in the face of grave danger in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. Operating in the middle of an enemy-controlled area, in extremely rugged terrain, his Special Reconnaissance element was tasked with locating a high-level Anti-Coalition Militia leader, in support of a follow-on direct action mission to disrupt enemy activity. On 28 June 2005, the element was spotted by Anti-Coalition Militia sympathizers, who immediately revealed their position to the militia fighters. As a result, the element directly encountered the enemy. Demonstrating exceptional resolve and fully understanding the gravity of the situation and his responsibility to his teammates, the unidentified SEAL fought valiantly against the numerically superior and positionally advantaged enemy force.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To have shown that footage is a disservice to Lutrell and for what gain?

Not everything that gets recorded should be for public consumption.

My .02

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Let's see, where to start...Loaded established African PH buys high fenced zoo in South Texas, donates livestock to be killed on tv for publicity, show brings in war vet sniper to take out the velvet farm bull elk at 100yds standing on a road in South Texas. Sniper misses 850lb bull standing broadside @ 100yds and proceeds to throw a temper tantrum blaming others for his botched attempt to snipe stall bull. Snipers behaviour gets questioned on worldwide hunting forum, poster is quickly crucified for questioning anything that a vet has done while every other "vet" on the forum proceeds to beat their chest and explain how they (and other vets) are superior to all others on forum who are not vets. Damn, guess I should have put on my profile that I was a vet, or black, rotflmo

The best post so far on this thread, and so true.

And with all due respect to all the vets here, I bet we have individuyals who claim to be vets, and the truth is far from that.

One of the unfortunate results of the Internet.

except on AR.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know when the hunt video was shot but it is clear that Mr. Lutrell DOES have self control, in fact perhaps more than I do!

http://msunderestimated.com/20...unks-in-texas-video/

I don't know if these guys have been brought to trial. Related threads state that the perps threatened Mr. Lutrell while they were being arrested! Either lots of guts or lack of brains!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that. Those guys were downright stupid.

I think the real bad guy here is the editor of the TV show.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the real bad guy here is the editor of the TV show.

I think you are absolutely right!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I don't know when the hunt video was shot but it is clear that Mr. Lutrell DOES have self control, in fact perhaps more than I do!

I don't know if these guys have been brought to trial. Related threads state that the perps threatened Mr. Lutrell while they were being arrested! Either lots of guts or lack of brains!
Peter.

Wow! They messed with the wrong guy! What dirt bags!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the premise of the origional post, "poor Jeff Rann" I was hunting in Botswana once and came across a pile of gold.........I asked the tracker what of it and he said......."Bwanna Rann take crap here" I dont feel too sorry for him Big Grin

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck rotflmo

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Up 2!!!

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silwane, did you pick it up?!!!
Peter

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Continent:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
So I'm watching the outdoor channel yesterday night and Jeff Rann is at the 777 ranch guiding some bozos from "Raw and something or rather" or "something or rather and Raw" TV show. Some bozo with his bipod laiden monster rifle biffs a shot at an elk at less than 100 yards and then absolutely throws a tantrum complete with swearing and pouting!!! Roll Eyes .......and I think poor Jeff Rann! Demoted from double rifles and fine guns chasing lions, elephants, and buffalo in the Okavango to ranch elk in Texas with a bipod toating nimrod more capable of throwing tantrums than shooting straight!!! I bet he's itching for safari season 2010!!! Aren't we all! Happy new year all and a successful safari season to all! I'll see some of you at Reno!

Brett

I think that a Navy SEAL wounded in Afghanistan hardly qualifies as a Bozo. How much time have you spent serving your country? That's pretty lame, did you stop to think that maybe he was disabled as a result of his wounds and that caused the blown shot? I think you owe him and all veterans an apology.

Are his wounds what caused him to act like a jackass?? Honorable service or not, no ethical outdoorsman should demonstrate such behavior.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
I doubt there is a single person on this forum that doesn't applaud the sacrifice given by those who have served in the military. That said, Brett was perfectly within his rights to call the show the way he saw it, without any consideration of this hunter's status as a veteran - decorated or not. Being a veteran does not give one license to behave badly.

Unless Luttrell's service in Afghanistan had something to do with his behavior at the 777 Ranch, his having been a SEAL with a Navy Cross is wholly immaterial to whether of not he in fact acted like a 'bozo'. Not having seen the show I'm agnostic on the matter. But, whether he was or he wasn't, I seriously doubt that Luttrell expects to be given a pass on his public behavior on the basis of his military heroics. And the notion that Brett owes him and all other veterans an apology is absurd.

Nor, by the way, should fellow veterans contrive offense at anything seen as hostile to one of their own; frankly, that's just a predictable excuse to roll out one's own military CV for the chest-thumping adulation of "lap dogs" and "taxpayers". Military service must never be confused as the measure of a citizen's patriotism.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Peter.

I don't know anything about Lutrell's "service" other than what I have read here. I have seen him twice now on TV and the first made me think he was an asshole and the second made him look incredibly unstable. 3 different times he said that he "pulled down" on these punks to shoot them while he was chasing them. This guy was going to chase down, shoot and kill the people who shot his dog, let alone that he partook in a high speed chase across "4 counties" down Hwy 59 in East Texas, endangering the lives of how many innocents, for what? A dog. I understand completely the attachment to a k9, I have 2 myself that are an extension of my family, they protect my house, sleep with my children, play with us in the yard. But, they are DOGS and I would not dream of ending another Human's life to protect or avenge them. That is INSANE, let's take the emotion out of this for a second and apply some common sense. Fine, these guys are cold hearted scumbag punks that deserve to have their asses kicked, but murdered? This man is a danger to himself and others. stir

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Peter.

I don't know anything about Lutrell's "service" other than what I have read here. I have seen him twice now on TV and the first made me think he was an asshole and the second made him look incredibly unstable. 3 different times he said that he "pulled down" on these punks to shoot them while he was chasing them. This guy was going to chase down, shoot and kill the people who shot his dog, let alone that he partook in a high speed chase across "4 counties" down Hwy 59 in East Texas, endangering the lives of how many innocents, for what? A dog. I understand completely the attachment to a k9, I have 2 myself that are an extension of my family, they protect my house, sleep with my children, play with us in the yard. But, they are DOGS and I would not dream of ending another Human's life to protect or avenge them. That is INSANE, let's take the emotion out of this for a second and apply some common sense. Fine, these guys are cold hearted scumbag punks that deserve to have their asses kicked, but murdered? This man is a danger to himself and others. stir

+1

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
+2

I was going to leave that one alone, but......

He mentions at one point that he drew his gun to cover the perps in the presence of the sherif. I'm sure that was "interesting". Just a thought.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess when an individual is so highly decorated he is the law unto himself coffee

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
505gibbs, interesting comments! I did not see the video as it kept stopping and starting. I just read the verbiage. Your comments are well taken.
Peter.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rather-B-Huntin:
Are his wounds what caused him to act like a jackass?? Honorable service or not, no ethical outdoorsman should demonstrate such behavior.

Gentlemen my earlier post regarding Jeff Rann, was in response to the title of this thread “POOR JEFF RANN” not the debate on Mr. Lutrell!

However in regard to Mr. Lutrell’s outburst let me say I did not see the show in question, but I do have an opinion about the conduct of combat vets. I have many in my family who suffer the many effects of combat even as many years have passed from WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Desert storm, and Iraq, and Afghanistan. The effects are real, and nobody seems to care that these poor souls are so tormented, without benefit of any help at all from the folks who benefit most from their sacrifice. The thought never seems to cross the minds of most civilians that “But for the grace of God, there go I”.

It seems everyone who takes offense to being labeled as not having been there so making their opinion of Mr. Lutrell’s actions, not valid, in many cases it is not!

People, like Lutrell, who have spent four or five years in a tight kill or be killed line of work get programmed to react a certain way that is not understandable in civil society, but is sudden, and violent by former necessity. This is a necessity of survival in combat. The combat vet is programmed to handle all controversy violently, and suddenly.

People who have not been there seem to think that the guy can come home, and just turn this off like a light switch. Many combat vets end up in prison, or homeless drunks, or dope addicts. This is caused by the habit of the military simply giving these guys a discharge, and sending them home. Those citations do not heal the damage that has been done to their psyche. Then comes a little stress and they react in a less than civil manner, and the guy who has never been where he was simply judges him by “Home and Harth” standards because that is all he has to go by. So in that respect, his judgment is not valid because he simply cannot relate. SO “having been there and having done that” is a valid REASON, but not an excuse.

If there was a real miscarriage of justice, it was putting this in a public forum for people to see with no understanding of the underlying cause for the outburst.

So in the final analysis, the old saying that goes like this, If you ain’t walked in his shoes, you ain’t seen the road he traveled. My advice is to try to understand, and help, rather than judge! It takes a long time for the lights to go out after the switch is turned to the "OFF" position! Much of the damage NEVER goes away, the effects of combat are just too traumatic, and the human mind can take just so much negative input, and recover completely. CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
If there was a real miscarriage of justice, it was putting this in a public forum for people to see with no understanding of the underlying cause for the outburst.

If this is true, then it started with the producers of the show, who could have left it on the cutting room floor, or the carrier of the program could have decided not to air the show. It was Mr. Lutrell's outburst on a TV program that initiated the thread and comments.

Besides, had this not aired on a PUBLIC TV program, this discussion wouldn't be taking place on this PUBLIC hunting forum.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Mac,

You bring up some very good points! However mental trauma, substance abuse, mental illness, and difficulty adjusting to civilian life don't excuse actions they explain them. There's a difference and it's big. I may have simpathy for his inability to adjust causing him to act inapropriately, but I won't pretend to justify any action on his part just because he's a vet or a decorated vet for that matter. He's still acountable for his actions. I do agree that it is OUR job to see that vets get ALL the support and help they need to combat mental illness, substance abuse, mental trauma, and problems adjusting to civilian life. We owe them for their service and part of our debt is helping them return and adapt so they can succeed here.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Mr Rann will be just fine.. archer

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

If this is true, then it started with the producers of the show, who could have left it on the cutting room floor, or the carrier of the program could have decided not to air the show. It was Mr. Lutrell's outburst on a TV program that initiated the thread and comments.

Besides, had this not aired on a PUBLIC TV program, this discussion wouldn't be taking place on this PUBLIC hunting forum.

That is exactly what I meant by puting it in a public forum! It should have never been aired!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Mac,

beer

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
I'm watching the episode of the program which has caused this uproar as I type this.
All I can say is that this guy is a total dick! Vet or no vet, trauma or not, he needs a dose of reality. Service to one's country doesn't justify his kind of attitude. Seeing just a little bit of this creep makes it easier to understand why so many hate Americans.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote