THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What to drink (and how much) while on safari
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to drink (and how much) while on safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I'm surprised by all the gin and tonic. Is there something I'm missing. I completely understand the beer, wine, and scotch.

you mean you don't like the taste of turpentine/pine tar??

Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Red Wine

Johnnie Walker Blue (I bring it)

Water

Coffee (I bring it and my own French Press)

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evenings in TZ calls for a Kilimanjaro beer, but if I'm much farther south, a Zambezi beer is a treat.

Mornings are best started with a Tanganda tea!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 - pretty much the same for me. I think my PH and I split a cold beer on two occasions during my 30 day stay in Moz last year. Cigars are nasty to be around. I guess the folks that smoke them enjoy the things and more power to them. I can usually manage to stay upwind of the puffers, so no problem.

Will be back in Moz for 30 days again this year so my PH has been informed to have the two beers cold and ready . Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I don't drink booze, so for me, Diet Coke, Coke Light or Sparletta Green Creme Soda. And of course, good cold water. The PH saves a bundle on me relation to booze! And, I save on my safari by being able to get up and go every morning without a hangover or any other ill effects! LOL! Big Grin

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by d.unger:
Black coffee in the morning beside the fire, plenty of water during the day, and cold Castle for the drive home. To finish the day, a single crown by the fire.

Thats a very good regimine.

But...I have NEVER seen any Crown Royal in Africa. Has anyone.

Crown Royal is all I drink, with pepsi mind you not coke. It's a Canadian thing. I did find a bottle there one time when I ran out in a little town outside Hoedspruit. If I remember correctly the dust was so thick on the box it was hard to make out what it was until it was cleaned off. Come to think of it I think that bottle cost me 1800 Rand, and it tasted fantastic Smiler

Jeff
Up North in Canada

Posts: 112 | Location: Alberta / British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 02 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Crown Royal is not common in the smaller towns but it is obtainable in South Africa. With a few weeks notice your outfitter should be able to have your Crown for you in camp. The bags with their draw strings make good pouches for packing small equipment. I use the black ones to cover my night vision scope that's permanently fixed to my 30-06 for night hunting, one over the front and one over the back so they overlap.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
Crown Royal is not common in the smaller towns but it is obtainable in South Africa. With a few weeks notice your outfitter should be able to have your Crown for you in camp. The bags with their draw strings make good pouches for packing small equipment. I use the black ones to cover my night vision scope that's permanently fixed to my 30-06 for night hunting, one over the front and one over the back so they overlap.
Crown may be hard to find but Im sure there is plenty of cheap rum for the fruity punch that you so love!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider beer as part of a balanced diet.

Good drinks while hunting are rum & coke or gin & tonic.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every outfitter I have hunted with (PHs too) knows the client sheet info I send in: 1 bottle of champagne per day and if anyone else wants any there better be more!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
C'mon Darin, 'fess up, you ever enjoy a cigar in camp?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by d.unger:
Black coffee in the morning beside the fire, plenty of water during the day, and cold Castle for the drive home. To finish the day, a single crown by the fire.

Thats a very good regimine.

But...I have NEVER seen any Crown Royal in Africa. Has anyone.

Been able to get it in SA, but of course I always take a good supply Wink

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
Crown may be hard to find but Im sure there is plenty of cheap rum for the fruity punch that you so love!!

I reserve that pleasure for our Bone fishing trips in Turks & Caicos. Bugaloos makes the best ones dancing

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
C'mon Darin, 'fess up, you ever enjoy a cigar in camp?

Mike;

That is hysterical because when I was in Makuti the same time you were there, after I shot my leopard, I told my PH I wanted a puff or two of his cigar (there wasn't any whisky handy)! So, I actually did take a couple of puffs!!!!

How did you know???

D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have agents and eyes everywhere . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I never drink on Safari. Just ask Andrew. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Mainstay Cane Liquor from South Africa. Every safari I have ever been on I request a few bottles of Cane ( for snakebites) and it magically shows up.
I know it is cheap but it mixes with anything and tastes great by itself over a few cubes.

Posts: 67 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 30 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Aquavit

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
After the days hunt its Castle beer or klippy's and Coke. When I get home its Pappy Van Winkle in a tumbler 3" deep with 2 whiskey rocks. Nothing better.My .02

Posts: 681 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread...

No one hear drinks a nice sipping tequila in Africa? I usually bring two bottles of Herradura Anejo to have on the rocks with lime. These are especially good if it is warm in the evening.

Like many, I enjoy a beer on the ride home in the evening, as well as a couple glasses of red wine with dinner. I love the tequila upon arrival to camp when everyone is meeting around the bar before dinner (and if a cat is killed, maybe a few or more will be consumed). Then after dinner, another glass of cabernet or a nice KY bourbon on the rocks is nice (Woodford Reserve).

Like Mike, my favorite part of the evening is a good cigar. I have become very partial to Rocky Patel Vintage 2003's with a Cameroon wrapper. I also like Montecristo Platinum Series Vinatage 1999 Churchills.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I never drink on Safari. Just ask Andrew. Wink

Your credibility has just gone down the tubes! And, Andrew is being a gentleman!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
........... Cigars are nasty to be around. I guess the folks that smoke them enjoy the things and more power to them. I can usually manage to stay upwind of the puffers, so no problem.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Heresy! Ban him!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savannah Cider ! (with Biltong)

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike J would know cigars - I am not sure but I have been told that he was the guy that bought at Christie's auction the famous Lewinsky Cigar Stub... previously smoked by - well you all know the story
If so Mike, did you enjoy it right away or keep it for a special occasion?

I like the petite flavored cigars like Bobalu Kahlua or Cognac Petite - the bigger cigars are a bit to much for me
A flavored petite with a couple fingers of chilled Four Roses or Blantons Single Barrel is what I would call an end to a great day. funny, I like bourbon but I don't care for scotch as much unless its the really really good stuff

Someone else mentioned Pappy Van Winkle - its awful good stuff also - a bit pricey at $225 a bottle or I would be drinking a hell of a bunch more of it. Another really good bourbon is Angels Envy, danged hard to find tho

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Thats easy...!

BLASER GUY: Beer, Schnaps, Riesling....and the hideous Jägermeister (good grief... hilbily pissers)

V-C GUY: Bordeaux wines, calvados/cognac, sauternes...all the classy good stuff... clap

Now that's pretty funny there, but a question? What does a Heym shooter drink?

My drink of choice on safari. I bought a rather large bottle in Frankfurt duty free first year, took wife and her sister with me also on the hunt, for the first half of it, both white wine drinkers. Massive quantities of pinot grigio they did drink. One evening, SIL says I never tried Scotch, may I? She loved it, and thereby ran me out of Scotch by the time we flew them back to Windhoek.

Our plan was to buy more there, but we left without remembering to buy any. Kobus, my host, has a wonderful bar, but he doesn't drink, and the bar has usually Jamesons on it. I thougt, "well, I'll make do". He said look around under the bar, some guys left a case of whiskey there a couple years ago. And I found, a whole case of Glenlivet 18, thanks very much guys, whoever you are!!!

Note to all - if traveling on from J-berg, to Windhoek, you can't buy booze or cigars at the duty free. Stock up before you get there. Learned that on this latest trip, was reduced to drinking Johnny Black. Couldn't have more than a couple, as I was sitting up all night, every night, hunting a problem lion.

We did "invent" a new and refreshing drink for those late season sweltering hunts, when you want something other than, "another beer". Kobus always has a case of "Sparberry" raspberry soda around, mixed it with a liberal does of Grey Goose. Haven't named it yet, but sure does go down in a hurry. Maybe... we'll call it a Stripper? Naw.... too easy. Someone added lime sherbet to their drink - a little TOO girly for me.

As far as cigars go, yes, do like those too.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
I like the petite flavored cigars like Bobalu Kahlua or Cognac Petite - the bigger cigars are a bit to much for me.

How cute. Do you hold your pinky out when you are smoking them? I expected that you were going to say that your favorite safari drink was a Lemon Drop. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
yuck

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Bourbon and water if I can get it. Evan Williams is my preferred brand. Gin and tonic with a twist of lime is just as good if not better, with Tanqueray being my favorite. Red wine with dinner and when possible, a Grand Marnier with a smoke after dinner.

How I miss safari.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How cute. Do you hold your pinky out when you are smoking them? I expected that you were going to say that your favorite safari drink was a Lemon Drop. Mike

why of course I point my pinky out while I smoke them. And also my little finger. Just trying to be like Mike

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
quote:
How cute. Do you hold your pinky out when you are smoking them? I expected that you were going to say that your favorite safari drink was a Lemon Drop. Mike

Just trying to be like Mike

Then flush those flavored girlee cigars down the toilet and get some real smokes. I thought purchase of those cigars was actually restricted at most tobacconists to girls and boys that have not started shaving. beer

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laph, Glenlivet, and for Bourbon Booker though haven't been on a safari yet to many small kids running around. Maybe if I drank cheaper booze........

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
I thought purchase of those cigars was actually restricted at most tobacconists to girls and boys that have not started shaving. beer[/QUOTE]

Nope, they still sell them to full grown A-dalts' like you an me...........the bastards

When I was in Costa Rica once I got a full box of Mareva's from Goerge F Cigars in Quepos, Cuban leaf rolled by Cuban ladies---does that count good? Dip them in Kahlua or chocolate liquor they are not bad sofa

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike, I like a good cigar as well. However, about 5 years ago, I took to smoking a pipe instead. Still enjoy the cigar on occasion, but the pipes are my favorites now. A good "English" style tobacco, full bodied, never perfumed with the girlie flavors ... reminiscent of the way saddle leather smells; ah that and a good single malt is the perfect end to a day on safari.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i just finished packing tonight for my self guided hunt to Cameroon, leaving Sunday. i was doing pretty good on the airline weight limit- until i added a 1 1/2 liter Johnny Walker bottle. no problem, i just poured it into two 1 liter plastic backpacker bottles- and added another 1/2 liter to fill the 2 bottles properly.no sense in wasting space in the bottles and plastic is a LOT lighter than glass! beer

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My preference would by my own, "Old Dirty Old Fashioned," which is a twist on the original. I don't understand how anyone can smoke anything, much less a cigar. I've smoked a grand total of one, and it was one too many...but whatever floats your boat!

one of us
posted Hide Post
While in camp drink hot buffalo blood and smoke dried elephant dung hand rolled in local news papers.

You guys all need to grow a pair! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i just finished packing tonight for my self guided hunt to Cameroon, leaving Sunday. i was doing pretty good on the airline weight limit- until i added a 1 1/2 liter Johnny Walker bottle. no problem, i just poured it into two 1 liter plastic backpacker bottles- and added another 1/2 liter to fill the 2 bottles properly.no sense in wasting space in the bottles and plastic is a LOT lighter than glass! beer

J$:

I just cannot fathom out why you go to all this trouble (might even be cheaper than the store) when you can buy as many bottles as you wish from the Duty Free shop and hand carry it in their "approved" plastic bags absolutely hassle free.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

J$:

I just cannot fathom out why you go to all this trouble (might even be cheaper than the store) when you can buy as many bottles as you wish from the Duty Free shop and hand carry it in their "approved" plastic bags absolutely hassle free.

We were on a flight to Johannesburg.
Sitting in First Class, one of the passengers asked the stewardess for an empty plastic water bottle.

He then proceeded to empty his bottle of whisky into the plastic bottle, and put it in his carry on bag.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

J$:

several years ago when flying from LA to New Caledonia via Auckland, i bought a very expensive bottle of Scotch in the LAX duty free shop. when we changed planes in Auckland, we had to go back through security, even though we lever left the secured airpot departure area. they confiscated my whiskey, as we were not allowed to carry that much liquid on the plane( it was obviously more than 100ml). further more, the only place en route on this trip to buy booze would be the duty free shops at CDG and i am afraid i would have a similar problem. it is a real pisser to see a $100 bottle of Scotch take a hike and i don't trust the French not to screw me( apologies to Wink, JB, etc.)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a cold beer on the way back to camp after the rifles have been put up. At camp, some red wine and a single malt (preferably Lagavulin) to finish off the evening. Forgot to mention the Underberg after a good meal!

To jdollar: Best of luck on your Cameroun hunt, look forward to the hunt report.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This year I might have to forego the G&T's in favor of a couple Bunnahabhain 18's with a splash of water. Good stuff.

Mike