THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    LIVE Report From Moyowosi & Masailand
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIVE Report From Moyowosi & Masailand
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shockerGreat hoggg shocker the Walter HOG do good WOW

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Walter is THE MAN!

What a warthog!

Posts: 3915 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We spent most of yesterday's afternoon sitting in a croc blind.

Small ones came to feed, but the big ones stayed away.

We went out looking for buffalo this morning. A few miles out of camp we came across some fresh tracks. So we stopped the truck and started to follow them.

We have not gone 200 yards when our driver started whistling. As we looked back, we could see a herd of buffalo heading straight towards us!!?

The shooting sticks went up, and I got onto them ready for a shot. The herd continued advancing, until they were about 50 yards from us. We still could not see any shootable bull amongst them.

They stopped, gave us a funny look, and took off where they came from.

We left them and went to another area looking for more buffalo.

WE found none, but we came across a good topi, so Roy shot it.

Drove back so we could sit on the croc bait.

We added some meat to the bait, drove about 1/2 a mile from there, and sat in the shade of a tree having lunch at just before 4 in the afternoon.

Afdter we had our lunch, Alan and me headed to the blind, while the driver took Roy and his topi back to the camp.

At just before 5, large crocs starded coming, and there was a feeding frenzy. We had one of our video cameras up in a tree above the bait, and we captured some great footage of this feeding frenzy.

We decided to shoot one of them, and he obliged by lifting his head up feeding. I brained him, and he laid still. I put another bullet into him, just in case because the river slopes deeping very quickly where he was.

We called the banana boat to take the croc back to camp, and we took the truck back.

Walter came back empty handed today.

Had a great chicken curry for dinner.

Tomorrow morning we are having a shooting contest for our trackers and game scouts. Then after lunch we fly to our last camp of this hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Jeez, that's a BIG croc! How does he compare to the monster croc you shot last year?

Posts: 3915 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just imagine how well Walter would be doing if he was using his Blaser?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
That's a BIG leezard!!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Can we get a picture of the employment of shooting sticks? Thanks, D.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a snaggle-toothed old beast! Wonder how old.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding croc, Saeed! Man, that pig of Walter's is also a monster! Does Walter have a new good luck charm this year?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent photography! Especially the open mouthed croc and hippo close-ups.

Clearly, the hunting is good this year - and the hunters are shooting well, too!

Congrats to all!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
What a snaggle-toothed old beast! Wonder how old.

I don't think Walter is much over 60, is he? Big Grin

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BB
Is that in inches or dog years?

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, thank you for your updates.

I have one queston and a request.

Are the AK's the guys are carrying loaded with a round in the chamber? Looks like muzzle control is not a high priority to them.

The steel rod you are using to broil the meat over the fire. Would it be possible to get a picture of it without any mean on it. Trying to figure out how its built. You could email that to me.

hunter7057@gmail.com

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our plane is supposed to come at 1.30 to fly us to Tandala camp. The flight is supposed to take almost 3 hours, with a stop in Tabora for refueling.
Alan suggested we go out by boat early in the morning to see if we can get a bushbuck. After some thoughts, we decided not to go, and do our usual shooting contest for our trackers and game scouts. Apparently word got around that we always have this contest, that they always looked forward to it.
We had our contest, and the usual comedy ensued. We had the target pasted on a box, which was placed against an ant hill.
Some of our contestants missed the whole ant hill.
Some shot 50 yards too close.
But, everyone was a winner, as each contestant won a prize.
Ron was charged with keeping the score, which wasn't very easy. As we had 11 contestants, and one 3 actually hit the target!!
8 all had one big fat zero for score. So we tried to place them in order of hitting closest to the target box.
We had lunch and headed out to the airstrip. We found our plane waiting for us. We recognized the pilot as we had met nbim a couple of years ago, and enjoyed sharing some jokes with him.
We flew to Tabora, landed for refueling and a pit stop, and headed up to Tandala camp.
The pilot circled the airstrip, and made his turn to land. Then we could see an ostrich smack in the middle of the runway. We made a low pass over it, waving to the cars waiting for us to go kick that ostrich off the runway.
We made another turn and landed.
We unpacked our rifles, and headed to camp, which was about an hours drive away. We thought we will hunt our way there. We saw lots of dik dik, some gerenuk, giraffe, lesser kudu and eland. But, not was big enough to shoot.
When we arrived at camp, we found that Walter and his crew were still out.
We had a drink and snacks, and waited for them to come to have dinner.
They arrived just before 8, having shot a good Grant's gazzelle.
Had dinner, and planned on going up the mountain early tomorrow morning, staying the night up there. Hunting mainly buffalo, or any other animals we might find.
Walter, Ron and paul are going to go down to Lake Natron, hoping to shoot a wildebeest.
I am writing this just before hitting the sack, and I don't seem to be able to find the sat modem in my tent. It must have been taken to someone's else's tent, or left at the dining tent.
So this report will not be posted until the day after tomorrow.

Well, it is after tomorrow right now.

I did not take the computyer and sat modem to our fly camp, so there has not been any more updates.

WSe have just arrived back from Gelai camp, which was at over 9000 feet.

We were hunting buffalo this morning above the clouds!

Walter shot a wildebeest and a Thompson gazelle.
Roy shot a Grant's gazelle, and I shot a gerenuk and a buffalo.

Up at Gelai is a totally different worl as far as buffalo hunting is concerned. One can be 2 yards from a bull and not see it!
There are valleys between the mountain ridges, about 500 yards across, with very thick bush.
We climb on the ridges, and watch with binoculars whqat we can see.
Yesterday as we arrived there in the afternoon, we could see 3 groups of 2 buffalo each, plus one lone bull. All were bulls.

Wew went down, and at one time we were less than 10a yards from one bull. We could not see him, but our trackers on the ridge could. We decided to walk up to him, and try a shot as he got up.

As we got close, he did get up and run, but all we could see was the bush shake!

We got rained on, and went back to camp.

Our camp was a log cabin, complete with a fire to warm us up.

We had dinner - only three of us, Roy, Alan and myself - then hit the sack.

We woke up to pouring rain, which stopped about 6.

We walked from the cabin to one of teh ridges to look for buffalo.

We saw eland, bushbuck, bushpig and one lone bull buffalo.

Again, we watched him and until he laid down, left our trackers with binoculars to keep an eye on him, and went after him.

We got to the other side of a big tree where he was lying, which we thought was less than 10 yards away.

Again, we walked towards him, he got up and ran off across a slightly open area. All I could see was his head, so that was where I aimed. He disappeared at the shot - our trackers later told us they had a grand stand view of the proceedings, and saw him drop and roll downhill 3 times! He got up and we ran after him.

You have to imagine this. The total distance he ran was about 15 yards, during this time, I hit him 4 times, and Alan twice. I know he dropped each time I hit him. The last two shots were where he was down.

We got the skinners to skin him, while we went looking for another one.

We climbed another ridge - climbing at this altitude is not my idea of fun.

Again, we could see several bushbuck, andf eland. But no buffalo.

We sat and kept looking.

We then saw one bull walk through a clearing and disappear into a thicket.

We thought we might stand a better chance of getting a shot from above him.

It was Roy's turn this time.

We sent the trackers and game scout to see if they could get him to move towards us.

We could see them shouting and throwing stones at him.

He moved, then dopubled back up the mountain. We could see him as he passed through some gaps, but there was no way one could take a shot.

It started to rain again, and we decided we better head back to camp, have lunch, then head down to our friends in Tandala camp.

I have lots of photos, which I hope to post may be tomorrow.

Tomorrow we are heading down to the lake, looking for Thompson gazelle, blue wildebeest and fringe eared oryx.

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Mountain Buffalo! that is one of the best hunting there can be, can't wait for the pics.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanna know how Walter's R93 is doing.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
...nd planned on going up the mountain early tomorrow morning, staying the night up there. Hunting mainly buffalo, or any other animals we might find.
WSe have just arrived back from Gelai camp, which was at over 9000 feet.

We were hunting buffalo this morning above the clouds!

Up at Gelai is a totally different worl as far as buffalo hunting is concerned. One can be 2 yards from a bull and not see it!

There are valleys between the mountain ridges, about 500 yards across, with very thick bush.
We climb on the ridges, and watch with binoculars whqat we can see.

Awesome!! Paul and I talked about this hunt last year...it is a dream hunt for sure! I am SO looking forward to the video!

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Lake Natron.

This morning we went looking for lesser kudu, and managed to get one just before 10, not far from the camp.

We then went to Lake Natron, looking for Thomson's gazelle and wildebeest.

Had a great long drive, seeing lots of animals, and bothg me and Roy shot a Thomson's and a wildebeest each.

Had to make a dash back to camp, as a storm was brewing, and we did not wish to get wet.

Made it back to camp by 8.30, had dinner, and are ready to hit the sack.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great photos Saaed ! I would love to see Masailand...MORE PHOTOS !

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I love it, thank you Saeed for such wonderful pictures and makes one smile seeing Africa.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great pics Saeed! Wonderful Gerenuk! By the way, I see Shadrack and Meschack on the shooting list. What happened to Abednego? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Just fantastic.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
The updates and picutres are truley outstanding! Thank you for taking the time to post them.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Fine trophies and Walter has outdone himself.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
WOW! Gelai and Masailand have fantastic landscapes! What beautiful scenery!!

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Great pics Saeed! Wonderful Gerenuk! By the way, I see Shadrack and Meschack on the shooting list. What happened to Abednego? Big Grin

If you are referring to Anderson Abednego, he has changed camp.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
now you have done it!! seeing the pictures has made me home sick for Africa CRYBABY

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great update, Saeed! Thanks!

Any photos of your lesser kudu? Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Saeed,Thank you very much for the updates,and pictures.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
tu2 Congrats to all for the fantastic trophies and exceptional photography !!!!
Cheers beer

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 443 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Those pictures are stunning Saeed!

I am quite impressed with the Lesser Kudu. What a beautiful animal.

The trophy photo with Roy and the wildebeeste is one of the nicest I've seen with the different "depths" (layers) and the contrasting color of the Masai behind him. As one of my friends would say "That's a blower!" (as in "one to enlarge and frame!).

The Stoney that Alan is drinking looks refreshing! I miss them almost as much as Tusker. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the great experience. the photos are incredible and so are the trophies.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A northern Tanz hunt is my ultimate dream hunt on this planet. It is an amazing place.
Wow.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The Lesser Kudu is AWESOME!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Love the photos, Saeed.

Superb!

And Walter can obviously shoot!

How do you explain his transformation?!

(Can't wait to hear this! Don't you dare blame his past troubles on the Blaser! Wink More likely that his improvement is the result of less interference from you and Roy.)

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah loving the report. cant wait to read the full one.... makes me want to go chase buffalo up above the clouds for some reason or another

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This morning we went looking for an oryx. We saw one feeding with some Grant's and ostriches about a mile away. But the wind was wrong.

We had to make a long detour to get down wind of them, and managed toi get to less than 300 yards. I fired a shot at him and he took off. We heard the bullet hit him. Another running shot also connected. Then he stopped, and a third shot dropped him.

He was an old bull, for which we were very happy.

Last game on our list was an ostrich.

We saw 2 males far away, and drove towards them. They decided to take off, and I took a running shot at one at long range, hitting him in his rear end. Dropping him in his tracks.

Alan was laughing so much about how he dropped.

We took photos and went back to camp.

We are having lunch right now, and in the afternoon we are having a shooting contest for our trackers, drivers and game scouts.

In the evening Walter is preparing one of his BBQs.

And tomorrow morning we head off first to Arusha, Dropping Alan, Roy, Rene and Paul there. We then continue to Dar to catch our respective flights back home.

This is going to be my last live report.

We have over 80 gigs of photos. I will try to include representative photos of all that had happened here.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Quite a hunt.

I can't wait for the full report and DVDs!

Well done and get home safely.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Excellent as always !
Congratulations on a great safari... safe travels.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote