THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    LIVE Report From Moyowosi & Masailand
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIVE Report From Moyowosi & Masailand
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Enjoy your posts very much but please don't show any more BBQ pictures because it is making me drool on my keyboard. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
some great Eland pics.loving the live posts
keep having fun
Dave

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great reporting, I can almost smell the smoke and taste the BBQ.
Can't wait for the rest of the action to unfold.
Hunt hard and sleep well my friend.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The BBQ looks great! Congrats to you all on the trophies. Those Eland are super.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Buffalo liver for breakfast.
You can also see the new Malagarasi Internet Cafe in action. The sat modem we have has wireless, so everyone is surfing the Net from the bush.

This morning we found the tracks of a lone bull buffalo, and followed it.

Roy shot it, and in the process cut himself on the scope.

There was no end of jokes about this. Walter, of course had to get into the act. And we have some fantastic photoes of him in action. But I am keeping those for my hunt report at the end of the safari.

We are at camp having lunch. The plan is to go and look fort a hippo in the afternoon.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Bambam" you are a great father.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

If it wasn't so far away, do you know how many gate crashers you would have at your party with all these pictures of food!!!

That does it I'm taking the afternoon off work to go shoot something.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
These reports are so much fun; I can hardly wait for the next one.

I feel sympathy for Roy, I have exactly the same scar! Sling swivel broke on my .378. Last time I shot that with a sling. Did hurt for a little while.

Currently loading 250 Barnes in my .330 Dakota so I can get some recoil back in my life. Smiler

Talk about vicarious vacation! Thanks.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Saeed, tell Roy that Dan said he thinks that 'trophy' between his eyebrows looks really funny! Of all the people to get a scope cut....

That's what he gets for acting like a client instead of a PH! Wink

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As planned, wse went looking for a hippo. Sadly, no one informed the hippo of the plans. We lay behind an ant hill waiting for a partcular bull to stick his head out of the water.

He utterly refused to do so. Stickjing only his nostrels and eyes every now and then.

We called it a day, and headed to camp to enjoy Walter's BBQ.

Ron's hunt is over, and Walter's starts tomorrow. He is going to be hunting with Paul, and Ron has kindly agreed to keep an eye on Walter with his video camera.

Paul is a bit apprehensive of what might happen, and no one even tried to prove to him that he is wrong at dinner.

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
I just had a nice meal and the pics from the BBQ pit are making me hungry again.I love these live reports and the stories that go with them. tu2

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

There was no end of jokes about this.

And there will be no end to the ensuing grief.

Did he "heal thyself", or did he require third party medical attention?

Was it the recoil from one of our resident wildcatter's franken-rifles, or was it the shock and amazement of actually falling something that caused an involuntary head slap before the rifle was lowered from his shoulder?

Will he be changing his screen name from "Rip" to "Gash"? Are we going to see this incident relived under a thread involving people's most trying safari experiences? "let me tell you about the time I almost became a cyclops from the charge of of a monster 30mm Leupold....."

Or are we going to have to wait for the expose' to be published in one of the hunting journals? I believe the editorial flair of Craig Boddington is a given in light of the vivid details that are surely associated with this tale of suspense and danger.

By any chance, was the story of the child "Ralphie" in a Christmas Story, and his harrowing experience with a Red Ryder BB gun, based on the real life experience of RIP, the boy?

There is just so much material here, and so little time.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:

Will he be changing his screen name from "Rip" to "Gash"? Are we going to see this incident relived under a thread involving people's most trying safari experiences? "let me tell you about the time I almost became a cyclops from the charge of of a monster 30mm Leupold....."

By any chance, was the story of the child "Ralphie" in a Christmas Story, and his harrowing experience with a Red Ryder BB gun, based on the real life experience of RIP, the boy?

There is just so much material here, and so little time.

Roy is the retired PH, Ron is RIP.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! Talk about busting someone's bubble!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
This is a GREAT thread!
Thanks for taking time during your safari and sharing all this with us! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:

There was no end of jokes about this.

Free life membership to the "HALF MOON CLUB" Big Grin Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know how he feels with his half moon!!!! I got one when I shot a buffalo and I was proud to have the half moon rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Gentleman, since Saeed's rifles are scoped with Leupold's I believe we should refer to Roy as having "a Leupold loop". Roy can now join other distinguished members like Jim Shockey.

Mike dancing animal

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
African night sky
After you have heard the full blooded roar and felt the powerful impact , the bright sparkling stars. Ethereal recognition of the occurrence and the blurring of the scenery by your tears. The darkness becoming clearer as the you feel the warm trickle of life as the half moon appears for all to see in its magnificence.

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure Roy did not just head butt that beast into having his picture taken with you guys?

Great fun to take us along.

Many Thanks

HBH

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
I just want to know what Walter has cooked up to replace the picture at the top of the forum?

Keep the reports coming guys.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
I know how he feels with his half moon!!!! I got one when I shot a buffalo and I was proud to have the half moon rotflmo

I guess it was the malaria I had at the time but I don't remember that at all. homer

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, it was Walter'sfirst hunting day. He was last to arrive at the breakfast table. He was the last one into the boat that ferries us across the river, and I think he was last in the truck, because we laef and he was still getting himself into a "hunting" mentality.

A few miles out of camp, we saw a herd of buffalo, and went after them. A while later we located a reasonable bull to shoot. We stayed with them for a while, until eventually he gave us the chance of a shot.

He was about 150 yards, and dropped at my shot. We ran up to him, and there was an ant hill about 20 yards from him. As I climbed the ant hill, he was struggling to get up, so I put another bullet into him.

Walter, Ron, Wayne and Paul arrived shoftly after we shot this bull. We took the normal photos, and each of us headed into seperate directions.

We drove out to the flood plain, looking for zebra and buffalo for Roy.

Instead, we saw a nice warthog, and Roy did not want to shoot it, so I did.

We found the poached remains of an elephant, and as you can see, he was killed with AK47s. The bullets keyholed as they went through his shoulder blade.

We drove all day, finding a few zebra herds, but despite all our efforts, we did not manage to get any.

Stopped at 4 in the afternoon by the mango trees, and had a late lunch.

Got back to camp by 8.

The news from Walter.

Me "What did you shoot?"
Walter "A cardboard buck"
"A what?'
"A cardboard buck"
"I meant what animal did you shoot today"
"How do you expect me to shoot anything if my PH takes me to places no man, let alone any animals, have ever been? SWe have named our truck the Starship Enterprise. Because it goes where no man has ever been. We have found TWO remains of the mamoth."

"OK, so you mean your first day at hunting was a complete failure ha?"

"No no, not completely a failure. Paul, Ron and Wayne are just learning the finer points of how to properly hunt"

"You mean how NOT to hunt!"
"That too. Because, because, my PH was doing things soooo sloowly I managed to overtake him when we were stalking the kongoni"

"Why did you not shoot one then?"
"The kongoni was standing there, I was standing there, but my PH was nowhere to be seen"
"Are you going to bad mouth your PH now until the end of the hunt?"

"I am not bad mouthing anyone. Paul is my friend. But to day he was VERY slow"

During all this Paul and the rest of the people in camp were laughing.

Tomorrow we are planning to stay by the river, and see if we can get a hippo or a croc.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I was away on a business trip for a couple days and am just getting caught up.

Thanks for posting the picture of the buffalo liver! Big Grin I have been CRAVING it lately. I meant to e-mail Rene for her recipe before they left, but it slipped my mind.

The "internet cafe" is awesome! tu2 Since a connection is so handy, Ron and/or Paul should be helping you out with the updates! Smiler

Looks like Roy lost a little blood! I assume that's his on his forearm. Eeker I am sure the poor fellow has suffered more since the cut, than from the cut though!

Cheers
Chris

quote:
Buffalo liver for breakfast.
You can also see the new Malagarasi Internet Cafe in action. The sat modem we have has wireless, so everyone is surfing the Net from the bush.

There was no end of jokes about this. Walter, of course had to get into the act. And we have some fantastic photoes of him in action. But I am keeping those for my hunt report at the end of the safari.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me "What did you shoot?"
Walter "A cardboard buck"
"A what?'
"A cardboard buck"
"I meant what animal did you shoot today"
"How do you expect me to shoot anything if my PH takes me to places no man, let alone any animals, have ever been? SWe have named our truck the Starship Enterprise. Because it goes where no man has ever been. We have found TWO remains of the mamoth."

"OK, so you mean your first day at hunting was a complete failure ha?"

"No no, not completely a failure. Paul, Ron and Wayne are just learning the finer points of how to properly hunt"

"You mean how NOT to hunt!"
"That too. Because, because, my PH was doing things soooo sloowly I managed to overtake him when we were stalking the kongoni"

"Why did you not shoot one then?"
"The kongoni was standing there, I was standing there, but my PH was nowhere to be seen"
"Are you going to bad mouth your PH now until the end of the hunt?"

"I am not bad mouthing anyone. Paul is my friend. But to day he was VERY slow"

During all this Paul and the rest of the people in camp were laughing.

LMAO! I see Paul has graduated to REAL PH'ing now! Looking forward to finding out if he is up to the challenge of finding "walterable" game! I bet Ron's sides are getting pretty sore by now. hilbily

Being the professional he is, I am sure that Wayne is absolutely tickled pink with the quantity and quality of subject material for him to video!!!

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We got delayed this morning because of the rain. So both us and Wqalter's lot left a bit later than usual.
We went looking for roan, buffalo and zebra.
We found tracks of all of them, but no sign of any.
We saw some cattle,andAklanmentioned we should take a photo of a very "walterable" bull. We took photosd to show Walter.
Walter shot a topi, which means we haver to take our hats off to Paul.
Ron shot some birds the other day, so here are some photos.
In the afternoon we went to shoot a hippo. We found a pod with a nice bull, but, as usually happens, he was not co-operating. Abou 2 hours later we gave up and went looking for others.
We found another pod, and after about an hour watching them I managed to shoot one.
We had quite a job of dragging him behind the banana boat to an area where we can take photos and recover him.
Our plan is to put him as croc bait.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
good luck on the croc and Walter maybe his shooting is improving.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems a little crooked in the head. Yup, looks "walter-able" to me.

Looks like you guys are having an excellent hunt and are eating well too!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We left in seperate directions this morning.
Walter went looking for buffalo, warthog and zebra.

We went looking for buffalo and zebra.

The zebra gave us a run around the other day, so we thought we might try to even the odds a bit.

We managed to shoot 3, which means we have gotten our quota of zebra, except Walter. Who still has one to shoot.

We skinned them and took them back to camp.

In teh afternoon we went looking for one of the several big crocs that have been seen not too far from camp.

We did not see any.

We left the river and went looking for roan.

We saw 2 bushpigs, and tried to shoot one of them, but they gave us the slip.

We saw a very large common reedbuck, and I shot it.

Continued our search for roan.

Just before sundown we saw a herd of them. But, despite all our efforts, we did not see any shootable bull amongst them.

Headed back to camp.

We found that Walter has shot a very big warthog. He, of course, was gloating!

Enjoyed dinner of guinea fowl soup, eland steak, and fresh fruit salad.

I am in my tent right now posting this.

I will post more photoes tomorrow.

Crocs and roan are on our agenda tomorrow.

Walter is looking for buffalo and a zebra.

He thinks he is someone special. As he has a PH and a trainee PH guiding him. He also has a video camera man and a still camera man along. Just to make sure that all his antics are recorded for posterity.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That hippo photo sure presents a different perspective.

Good luck with the hunting.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

Would be interested in hearing and seeing a little about the weapons and vehicles used on safari. May seem a little elementry, but very interesting to those of us who have never been.

Perhaps some details on camp accomodations and PH team. We see flashes now and then, but...

Thanks, and continued good luck with the hunt.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It is lunchtime right now and we have just came back after setting up a croc blind.

Our plan is to have lunch and go sit in that blind, as we have seen a very large croc swimming by.

All our trucks are Toyota Landcruiers, which seems the norm for all safari operators.

My rifles are both custom built on a Dakota 76 action, and chambered for my own 375/404 wildcat. Our loads for these is a 300 grain Walterhog bullet we make ourselves on a CNC lathe, current load is about 2800 fps.

Roy is using a rifle he has built himself for his own wildcat, the 450 Vincent.

It is build on a Browning FN Mauser action.

Alan is using a 450 Ackley, bult by Roy on a P14 Enfield action.

Ron can tell you all the details of his own rifles once he is back.

The other day we were laughing as the 3 of us - me, Roy and Alan. All are using wildcats, both Roy and myself using wildcats of our own design, in rifles built by ourselves.

I will make sure I include all the details in my hunt report after the safari is over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin building bullets and rifles is part of the enjoyment of our sport. I sometime enjoy sitting in the reloading room as much as I do hunting. but thats just me Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm envious, enamoured, and happy for you guys all at the same time! I am anxiously awaiting Ron's comments on his .395 and the bullets he used.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ron can tell you all the details of his own rifles once he is back.

Only problem is, Roy doesn't post on AR, or anywhere else for that matter. He called to visit a few days before he and Rene left Texas, and when I asked him if he ever goes onto AR and reads the stuff we all post, he replied with something like 'I don't get along with bloody computers'.

Maybe Saeed can get him to start after this safari....

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As you can see, it is only Walter being the hunter right now. As the crocs are giving us the run around.

It is our last day here today. Tomorrow we fly to another camp. And Walter is extremely happy that there are plenty of "Walterable" animals in that area!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
HOLY CRAP!!! LOOK AT THAT WARTHOG!!!! Eeker

Congrats to the skilled hunter!!!! beer

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Now that is a great Warthog tu2 congratulations to Walter.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walter and Ron look like long lost friends who have just seen each other after so many years.

Looking at latest pictures they look like long lost brothers Smiler

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote