Find
Notify
Tools

Official Punki Recovery Fund Info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen
My most sincere thanks to all of you who have shown such concern for Punki since the the accident. His recovery to this point has been steady, but there is still a long road ahead and a growing pile of bills behind with more on the way. To that end , Brittany has established a fund to help with both Punki’s medical expenses, as well as his loss of hunting income. I have been very proud of the way so many of you have responded with prayers and encouragement to all of the people affected in this situation, and I want to say a very personal THANK YOU to each and every one of you.
The following is from Brittany . It will provide the information to help those of you interested in offering financial aid to Punki.
Good Show Boys
-Dave Fulson

To my friends at AR--
My Dad and I were overwhelmed by your (general) understanding and support following the accident I had while leopard hunting, which resulted in the tragic shooting of Punki, a great guy who is one of the most experienced dog handlers in Africa. The good news is that Punki is expected to recover fully; the bad news is that his injuries were severe and the medical bills are staggering, not to mention loss of income while he is recovering. I have established the "Punki Recovery Fund", and I cannot tell you how grateful we all would be for any contributions, of any size.
The address to send checks is:
Punki Recovery Fund
PO Box 33303
Granada Hills, CA 91394
Again, my most sincere thanks for the amazing show of support.
With best wishes,
Brittany Boddington

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check going to day.

Posts: 11997 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check went out this morning.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw this posted in my Hunting Report E-mail Extra I received yesterday also. Noticed that they omited one 3 from the P.O.Box 33303 address. Babara Crown would also like to receive input and feelings about hunting leopard with hounds for a survey.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A PMO went out earlier today. God speed the healing process for both of you.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent out a check last week.

posted Hide Post
Brittany,

I sympathize and my heart goes out to Punki. My check is going out this week. I have hunted leopard with dogs before and all too much of the hunt is dependent on Mr. Spots.

I also appreciate how badly you must feel about this and my sympathies are with you also. I have followed your hunting path in the various articles from both you and your father. At one of the SCI shows, I discussed with your father how much I enjoyed the stories relating to you. As a father of 2 daughters, I can relate to and appreciate your progression and appreciation of hunting as a part of conservation of the world’s wildlife. I applaud the way that you and your family are taking charge of the situation and working for a proper resolution.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Everybody,
I just want to give everybody an update...
Punki has developed a infection and he will require a CT scan and then another operation he will be in hospital for some more weeks and the road to recovery will be long...
We are all positive that he will recover and will hunt again but for now he is in lots of pain and discomfort.
The medical bills have reached $ 30 000 and it keeps getting more every day...
We really need support on this and I would like to thank everybobby that has mailed of a check so far.
Regards
Corne Kruger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corne,

That is unfortunate news. Please keep us updated to his condition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check is in the mail

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Me too!!

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ck went out yesterday. Hope the turnout is good

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went to see Punki yesterday. He is in pain and the infection is still there but he is getting great medical care.
The bills just keep coming in... Just got a $ 2000 bill from the doctor!! These guys have no mercy when it comes to bills.
Thank you to all we has helped us and please do not stop!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Everbody!!
Punki is still on IV and getting antibiotics he might need a operation in these days. We have hired one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country to look after him now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please keep us informed ...
Hopefully Punki will recover completely in the next few weeks.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke to Punki last night he is in a bit of pain but it seems like the infection is doing better. The road to recovery is still long and we do need lots off support on this!!
THANK YOU ALL!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about setting up an Pay Pal account for overseas donators?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You fellows are really kind to help out an injured man. What I do not understand however is why the shooter has not taken full responsibility, made a claim against all available insurance, sold the gun collection and car, borrowed money from family and friends to take care of this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CranialCritter:

For your first post here your assumptions are sort of out of line. All parties involved have taken full responsibility. Maybe familiarize your self with this topic of discussion by reading the volumes of posts submitted on this matter, before getting out of the gate with a post such as this. Your handle would suggest your quite the cerebral type. So I'm guessing you can find the related threads of discussion. Welcome aboard my friend.

Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That is a rather hostile and impolite welcome.

Nonetheless, if what you say is true, and the shooter has taken full responsibility, then a donation fund is not necessary because the shooting is paying for all of the damage caused by his errant bullet. Thank you for clarifying that is the case.

quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
CranialCritter:

For your first post here your assumptions are sort of out of line. All parties involved have taken full responsibility. Maybe familiarize your self with this topic of discussion by reading the volumes of posts submitted on this matter, before getting out of the gate with a post such as this. Your handle would suggest your quite the cerebral type. So I'm guessing you can find the related threads of discussion. Welcome aboard my friend.

Moja

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cranialcritter:

Nonetheless, if what you say is true, and the shooter has taken full responsibility, then a donation fund is not necessary because the shooting is paying for all of the damage caused by his errant bullet. Thank you for clarifying that is the case.

The shooter was a young girl who was unlikely to have insurance. The PH may have some for his help, the father may have some that covers accidents caused by his children, but probably neither has any that would cover this situation. The girl is unlikely to have any significant savings or property. Of these things we have not asked. The victim is going to have a much more difficult life, and that is why many of us have contributed to the fund. But to the extent that the shooter and her family can contribute, it would be appropriate for them to insure that Punki's expenses have been paid before they themselves take any more hunting trips. If they are making their living by shooting game, then they or their filming company should be adequately insured in case of accidents like this. The trouble with insurance is that they would likely not pay in a foreign country unless forced to pay by a court.
We are contributing for the victim and have faith that the young lady will do what is required to make sure he or his providers get the money.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a rather hostile and impolite welcome.

My apologies cranialcritter for my sharp introduction, wasn't trying to be impolite. What I should have said is; a) that the parties involved have taken responsility. In fact that was priority #1. b) As far as finances go I believe they've reviewed their options and concluded that some type of fund was needed amidst escalating medical expenses.

Cordially,
Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The outfitter is responsible for his staff and himself, any assistance being offered by the client is already above and beyond. Perhaps this is a wake up call for outfitters and clients alike to ensure that they are set up to take care of all eventualities so that incidents like this don't occur.

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ian for the clarification. The PH may not have sufficient insurance to take care of this accident.

I, for one, feel a sense of community here, and am proud to have contributed this month. I will continue to do so each month.

I read somewhere that we are "...all brothers and sisters in Christ...". Perhaps that is enough to say...

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vlam, you post a very interesting point of view - that of personal responsibility. He who engages in a risky profession bears the risk associated with the profession.

Nonetheless, if the injured tracker were to sue BB in her home state of California, under California laws he would certainly prevail. And if the hunt were being filmed for her father to use in a video, his company may also face liability and possibly himself personally as well. Hopefully there won't be any lawyers hunting in Puki's camp during the next couple of years!

So let me address General Boddington directly. Hopefully he will be reading these posts. As a fellow military man, I hope he will consider taking these suggestions to heart.

In order to set an example for the hunting industry, I strongly urge both father and daughter to convert their assets and empty bank accounts in order to pay not only Puki's medical bills, but also a reasonable amount of compensation for having such a horrific thing happen to him. Further, until such amount is fully paid, I would urge father and daughter to give up any hunting and all luxury activities of any sort, as their priority should be taking care of Puki.

Colonel Klink out.

___

Posts: 52 | Location: NC | Registered: 07 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumbdown

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Colonel Klink put it most directly, so I will answer him, but these are thoughts for all. First off, we have indeed reviewed our options, some of which have been reduced, as is the case with many of us, by the economic downturn. I don't think I have the obligation to divulge what I have contributed, but I have scrambled and sold guns I didn't wish to sell, and a lot of money has been transmitted to Namibia.

I seriously doubt that even the best team of lawyers could find me personally liable in any way. The hunt was not my idea, I was 1,000 miles away, and my daughter is an adult. I do not accept her full liability, as she was under the direction of a legally licensed and extremely experienced guide, and she did no more than she was told to do. It is true we had a camera on scene, filming for possible use in a TV show--but we film lots of hunts with lots of outfitters that we are not personally involved with. My involvement is threefold: First, Brittany is my daughter and I stand beside her. Second, Corne and Nic Kruger are my friends, and I stand beside them. Third, I have hunted with Punki. He is a great guy and he is also my friend. I stand beside him.

The unfortunate reality is that the insurance coverage that we all believed was in place will not cover this situation. There are multiple reasons for this. They include: The decision was made to take Punki to the best medical care in Windhoek. I support this decision, because it is probable that this is the reason Punki is recovering, rather than in his grave. There is also the complex situation that Punki is a South African citizen, in Namibia on a valid work permit--but still not a Namibian. In Africa it is not as simple as it seems in the U.S.

Further to Colonel Klink: My bank accounts are empty. I'm sure you have the means to check. As someone else said, my daughter is a young girl. She is legally an adult, but she has no property, and she needs her (well-used) car to go to work. In any case, it is worth less than her payments. And my house is now worth less than the mortgage. As for "luxury activities," I have none, and can honestly say I haven't taken a vacation in at least 20 years. As for cessation of hunting until this is handled, well, this is what I do for a living. It will not do me, Punki, or my family any good if I quit working for six months or a year. As for Brittany, I can assure you she is doing everything she possibly can. As am I, and as are our friends at Omujeve.

We did examine our options, and one of them was for Brittany to establish the "Punki Recovery Fund." As I have said, I am extremely grateful to any of you who see fit to help. I truly believe this could have happened to any of us--and the insurance issue is a massive wakeup call. But I will not beg, and I have no issues with anyone who chooses not to assist--but I truly appreciate the support from those of you who wish to. I have huge issues with anyone who attempts to judge. Got it, Colonel Klink?
Regards to all, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a very fine detailed response. Regards to Punki and I hope he will be on the game trail again soon.

quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
I think Colonel Klink put it most directly, so I will answer him, but these are thoughts for all. First off, we have indeed reviewed our options, some of which have been reduced, as is the case with many of us, by the economic downturn. I don't think I have the obligation to divulge what I have contributed, but I have scrambled and sold guns I didn't wish to sell, and a lot of money has been transmitted to Namibia.

I seriously doubt that even the best team of lawyers could find me personally liable in any way. The hunt was not my idea, I was 1,000 miles away, and my daughter is an adult. I do not accept her full liability, as she was under the direction of a legally licensed and extremely experienced guide, and she did no more than she was told to do. It is true we had a camera on scene, filming for possible use in a TV show--but we film lots of hunts with lots of outfitters that we are not personally involved with. My involvement is threefold: First, Brittany is my daughter and I stand beside her. Second, Corne and Nic Kruger are my friends, and I stand beside them. Third, I have hunted with Punki. He is a great guy and he is also my friend. I stand beside him.

The unfortunate reality is that the insurance coverage that we all believed was in place will not cover this situation. There are multiple reasons for this. They include: The decision was made to take Punki to the best medical care in Windhoek. I support this decision, because it is probable that this is the reason Punki is recovering, rather than in his grave. There is also the complex situation that Punki is a South African citizen, in Namibia on a valid work permit--but still not a Namibian. In Africa it is not as simple as it seems in the U.S.

Further to Colonel Klink: My bank accounts are empty. I'm sure you have the means to check. As someone else said, my daughter is a young girl. She is legally an adult, but she has no property, and she needs her (well-used) car to go to work. In any case, it is worth less than her payments. And my house is now worth less than the mortgage. As for "luxury activities," I have none, and can honestly say I haven't taken a vacation in at least 20 years. As for cessation of hunting until this is handled, well, this is what I do for a living. It will not do me, Punki, or my family any good if I quit working for six months or a year. As for Brittany, I can assure you she is doing everything she possibly can. As am I, and as are our friends at Omujeve.

We did examine our options, and one of them was for Brittany to establish the "Punki Recovery Fund." As I have said, I am extremely grateful to any of you who see fit to help. I truly believe this could have happened to any of us--and the insurance issue is a massive wakeup call. But I will not beg, and I have no issues with anyone who chooses not to assist--but I truly appreciate the support from those of you who wish to. I have huge issues with anyone who attempts to judge. Got it, Colonel Klink?
Regards to all, Craig

Posts: 52 | Location: NC | Registered: 07 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't understand all the flack over this incedent. Anyone that has been in similar situation and i think it is few of you will know that there is no time to think no time to plan you just react and sometimes it is not the best but any member here that has been in a similar situation knows that that poor fellow would be in worst condition had she not fired.Sometimes you have to react super fast and it does not work out perfect but it is better than getting clawed and chewed buy a big cat. I have only had experience with bears but believe me they can all kill you damn quick.I Know. Just my 2 cents but think before you post. Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
To Craig, his daughter, the very unfortunate Punki, PH Outfitter and any others involved ... my sincere thoughts go out to all concerned

This incident begs the question and highlights that safari hunting travel and life in general has its hazards.

Are there any silver linings, proberbly not, BUT it brings sharply into focus INSURANCE cover and or lack of it.

Is there any insurance that covers for instance a PH accidently shooting a client and/or vice versa as if not there surely is a need to look at this aspect closely

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Can we send money directly to Punki rather than an address in Ca.. ?

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I sold a shotgun I wasnt using Monday. Will send that money out today to the recovery fund.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this thread should be a sticky and maybe Gen. Boddington can post an update of Punkis condition every day or two.

Posts: 37 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 06 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
Sorry I have not up dated you on Punki but as you all know its hunting season and bussiness is going on.
I was at the hospital today and Punki looks good.
The infection is clearing and he is healing well but he is still along way from full recovery...
He is getting great medical care and we might be able to move him closer to his family in the Eastern Cape in the near future.
Thank you for all the donation and please bid on the auction we will be having fi=or this cause!!
Regards
Corne Kruger

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can we send money directly to Punki rather than an address in Ca.. ?

Code4, I have arranged to leave items for Punki in Jo'burg next month. His employer at home is making arrangements to retrieve these items. Anyone wanting to send or get things to Punki, you are more than welcome to email me and I will forward your request to the proper people. I choose not to make this information public due to the fact someone might use this for the wrong reason. I appreciate your understanding with my decision.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for all the donation and please bid on the auction we will be having fi=or this cause!!
Regards
Corne Kruger

Have you considered a raffle rather than an auction? Maybe a hunt with Craig and or Brittany.

It would get a lot of participation. I dont know how it would compare in total funds raised as opposed to an auction.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A raffle is a good idea. I think many people would like to go on a hunt with a famous author and his daughter. And how many generals hunt Africa? I do not think the Colin Powell, Norman Schwarzkopf, George Patton, or Bernard Montgomery ever went dangerous game hunting.

Posts: 42 | Location: Munich, Germany | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, there are some laws governing raffles, it's a whole different deal than auctioning private property, which can be done quite readily. We did look into it, but there are all kindsa pitfalls.

I posted this elsewhere, but this is the right place: I just heard from Trevor Filmer, Punki's employer. Punki is flying into the Eastern Cape today, Trevor is taking him to a private hospital in his own area. Of course he will get to see his family! I don't have any word on how much longer he will be in the hospital, or what physical therapy etc. will be ongoing--but if he was well enough for a commercial flight then it seems likely they have the infection on the run.
Regards, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, somebody asked above about sending somethng direct to Punki. No issues here at all--we've just been trying to keep things as simple as possible. Brittany will be prepared to render a full accounting at any time, and she has a legal business license to do what she is doing. I have never met Trevor Filmer and don't have his address, but if this is the route anyone wishes to go please send me a private message and I will put you in touch with Trevor.
Thanks, Craig

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpinejaeger:
A raffle is a good idea. I think many people would like to go on a hunt with a famous author and his daughter. And how many generals hunt Africa? I do not think the Colin Powell, Norman Schwarzkopf, George Patton, or Bernard Montgomery ever went dangerous game hunting.

AlpineJaeger,
Your English is improving dramatically!
Gen. George Patton and Field Marshal Montgomery
spent a lot of time hunting dangerous game!

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote