Find
Notify
Tools

Knives on Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
I was watching TAA over the weekend, and CraigB was promoting somebody's knife, saying that the trackers were busy and that they had a lot planned for the day, so he was going to help out (gut, quarter and skin the cape buffalo assumedly). Roll Eyes

This aside, what have you guys actually DONE with your knifes when in the African bush? Or is it just for fun or habit/comfort? (which is fine by me, I carry one on the pack when hiking)

Incidentally, the trackers on my most recent hunt had a "bush knife" made for me, which I was glad for in the event that I had to overnight in Douala on the way home.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
My first trip is coming up soon and I'm taking my knife. I plan to help a bit in the skinning of each of my animals if practical. For me the skinning is an important part of the hunting ritual. I need to get some kudu blood on my knife!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my Accurate Reloading Blade Tech to help cape an eland in Namibia, but that was because I wanted to, not because I had to. I'll always carry one with me, but I doubt if I ever have to use it much.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
cutting off tails
cutting string while making blinds
Poking holes thru bait for hanging
Removing dried hide from baits
As eating utensil for make-shift meals
As a "security blanket" when needed
splinter remover
haven't skinned a thing in Africa

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Starting in 02 I carried a Victorinox leatherman knife and tool... Had two knives and gave it to the trackers to cape kudu in bush...
I take on all safaris...04 carried it again and cut off my first bull ele tail... 06 on my AR buf hunt I carried my AR bladetech knife cut off ele tail and used it to slit a impalas throat for the muslims on camp staff for camp meat.. Also cut off my second bull eles tail...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I always had a multi-tool in my pack and a knife on my person.

The skinners work faster and more cleanly than I ever could, so I confined my knife to cutting biltong and such.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
The only significant thing i have every done on safari with my knife was cut the tail off my 1st bull ele in Zim July 06. I always carry one but the trackers are much faster than me and I felt like I would get in the way.

wesley

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I always carry a knife or 3 with me. I have the smallest swiss type knife in my pocket except when I am on a plane and always carry a multi-tool while hunting. On big game hunts I usually have one or both of my Dozier Agent or Mike Miller custom damascus with ivory scales. I have mostly used a knife to cut biltong and such, or the pliers and screw drivers on a multi-tool, but have need a hunting knife to loan to a tracker who failed to bring his to buffalo kill site and used the other to help him cape the buffalo. I have also used a knife to cut the tail off my elephant and carve a bit of the meat for grilling and used one to finish and impala.

I would not go hunting without a knife regardless of the locale.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Each time I tried to go with less and less. The knife thing "bit the dust" early on. Though I carry a knife everyday at home, not much use for one on safari.

I don't want to get near any blood. Too many knives, too much blood, and too many unknown contributors. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Randall is just part of my kit. It goes where I go.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually carry a Leatherman tool on my belt. I use the pliers and tweezers more than any other tool. I also carry a couple of carpet knives along with a bunch of extra blades. My last two PHs have been converted to them for making the initial cuts on the skin of elephant. They work 100 times better than a knife. I would have had to shoot the PHs to get them back.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have carried the same Leatherman on 11 safaris and three trips to Alaska.

I used it one time to puncture the throat of a Kongoni so the Muslim game scout could eat the meat. I think that one time use was worth all the other times I carried but did not use it.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swiss army knife in my pocket and a Leatherman tool in my pack. Those two covered all my needs on 9 trips.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
This aside, what have you guys actually DONE with your knifes when in the African bush? Or is it just for fun or habit/comfort? (which is fine by me, I carry one on the pack when hiking)

And not much of anything else.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,
Umm, I hope that pic is not on your desk at work. Big Grin

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I used my knife to cut off the tail of my first elephant. Then I made the mistake of letting the trackers use the knife to skin the elephant. Then I got to experience the joy of watching the trackers sharpen my $200 knife on a rock. By the time I shot the next the elephant the knife was so dull it would not even crack the skin on the tail. That's okay, all part of the experience.

Next time, I will leave the knife at home and carry my Leatherman. Much more useful.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
Charles,
Umm, I hope that pic is not on your desk at work. Big Grin

Not yet but it gives me an idea!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Next time, I will leave the knife at home and carry my Leatherman. Much more useful.

I carry a sheath knife and a Leatherman. I admit the sheath knife isn't needed much, but when or if it is I prefer it to the Leatherman for basic cutting.

[Click images to enlarge.]

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I have not been on the number of safaris that a lot of you have but i have never used a knife in africa . I look forward to cutting an ele tail but as of now, never needed one although i continue to take one.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do carry a damascus hunting knife with a six inch blade that Tom Ferry made. It has served mainly to cut brush to cover game from the sun, and once to cut an elephant tail that served as elephant tail stew at dinner that night.
Here's a pic of both tools in the elephant hunt.
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Charles, I just used it on the ele tail. I'll keep taking one because it's light and isn't a bother. At some point, it might come in handy and there are always other ele tails to be dealt with.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Said it before and I'll say it again, the only time you need a knife on safari is at the table.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leatherman folding pruning shears. Actually useful for making blinds etc. Works very well for extracting ones self from thorn bush with minimal blood letting... This tool also has a 3" saw in the handle that works extremely well given its limitations. Skinning? Isn't that what I'm paying someone to do? After years of guiding and my hunting here in MT the thing I enjoyed most was having someone else do the grunt work for once.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DC300

....+1

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
For those of you thinking about "helping" with the field dressing and skinning of game: First let me say that most PH's will have experienced Skinners in his mist. They are much more comfortable in doing their jobs without Mr. Helper lending a hand. Loading a carcass; holding a leg here and a tail there, sure. But getting in the way unless truly needed makes a Skinner some what nervous. Wouldn't you if the roles were reversed? Be sure to ask your PH in a less than aggressive manner if you want to help. Remember: trophy fees may double for acting as Supervisor Big Grin

Now the most important tidbit I could share with the inexperienced: One tiny cut, just one on a hand or finger could infect you with parasites of which you've never heard of. Infections that could rot your arm off are just waiting for an open door. Do you really want to risk it? Your Skinner, like the rest of the staff is there to do a job for you, and most all of us will tip them accordingly. It your safari, your hunting vacation if you will. So just think about what your wanting to do before you jump it over your head. Keep in mind; there's Crocodiles in that river!
Good hunting and play safe,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have taken various knives on the last six trips to Africa, but have used them sparingly. Part of the ritual and experience, I suppose. I cut off the ele's tail in 2005 with a panga. Once the head tracker saw me going at it with my "sharp" knife, he walked over with a smile, handed me his panga and within three or four strokes the tail was off. Big Grin He then took it back and went about his business helping skin and cut up the bull. One of my knives was used by myself and the PH to cut off the horns of my rhino. Cool I've also had various skinners "borrow" my knives. Very big mistake unless you carefully watch what they are doing or where they are going. Never allow them to walk off with it or try and sharpen it. Most of you know what I mean. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
IME, The older chief skinner in camp usually has some whetstones and is proficient at sharpening as opposed to the boys in the truck.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG, any photos of working on the rhino? That's not something you see every day.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I carry a Kershaw folding hunter (out of habit) and a small multi-tool.

The most frequent demand is for the bottle opener on the multi-tool.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I always carry a sheath knife (homemade damascus steel) because it makes for a hell of a lot better gift to your grandkid then a swiss army knife or leatherman.

Someday... "Here son, this is the knife I carried on safari in Africa"

Also, skinning a giraffe in the field (before a tractor showed up) to save the hide from slippage we used every knife in the party. The skinners would use one until it dulled, then move on to the next.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's a few of the front rhino horn removal with my knife at work. I got to do some limited cutting (ceremoniously more or less). I have a pic of me holding both horns, but I will have to find it. The horns were taken back and immediately locked in a safe for obvious reasons. They were later microchipped.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Like I said, you don't see that every day. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always take one because invariably the knives the PH and their skinners carry are crap.....I just hand the knife over to expedite things. Big Grin

Here is one of mine by Kelly Carlson, BG-42 steel, stabilised Sting Ray scales, cuts like a razor.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a knife (sorry, couldn't resist). Looks like it would slice an ele tail right quick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Now that's a knife (sorry, couldn't resist). Looks like it would slice an ele tail right quick.

Big Grin beer

You are right there YD!! it's had a few mod's since the photo, false edge on the first 1/2 inch of blade, stippling on the back strap to aid with 'choking up' on the blade. I'm just a knife and rifle nut Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
One must alway have a knife.
What are you to do when a hard strip of biltong tuns up.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

You start chewing on one end until you get to the other end. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

You start chewing on one end until you get to the other end. Smiler

That sort of behavior will get one in trouble if the stick is to be shared with the likes of PH Matt Stanton.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think i cleaned my fingernails with one once, other than that the pliers and screwdrivers on the multitool do get some use

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
There is no way I would be caught out in any hunting situation without at least one knife. Hell I carry three on my at all times on a daily basis. A Wenger mini, A Leatherman pocket clip and a Boker Stockman. Actually more than that, because in my daily carry bag, which goes every where with me, there also resides an old school styled dagger by S&W and a full-size Wenger Swiss knife with pliers and just about everything else you could imagine.

I feel lost without at least one knife on me. I used a Dozier Agent to cut off my elephant’s tail in Zimbabwe in 2005. It would have just seemed wrong to have to ask for a knife in order to accomplish this task. Then I got to thinking about how useful a knife is in any hunting/outdoors situation so now I have a Dozier Wilderness (also due to the fact that Ganyana said my Agent knife was too light for heavy field work) which has been dedicated to a life on my utility belt. It is a larger, heavier knife and if I go hunting, so does it. That goes for Africa, or the Americas.

Too many of our traditions have fallen to the wayside. When I was a kid growing up, every man I knew carried a knife of some sort regardless of the situation. And well, damn, sometimes a man just needs a sharp knife. It is much better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it.

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote