Notify
Tools

To shoot or not to shoot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Just above the nose Smiler

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell from this picture but it looks like he is coming and is close so I would shoot if he took as little as one more step toward me.

In reality the PH would probably be giving his opinion or getting ready to shoot as well.

Not being as good a shot as some of you, I would just hold on the nose thinking that if I am within the size of a grapefruit it would kill or discourage him.

I took a shot once at a big buff coming down a rather steep embankment straight at me and about 15 yds. away. He was not charging. I dont think he was aware of us.

I aimed for the area between the nose and boss but did not allow for his forward motion (did not lead him) and hit him square in the boss according to the trackers. He went down to his knees then in one motion was back up. He knocked down a small tree getting out of Dodge. We never found a drop of blood and never found the buff either.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Shoot or skedaddle, one or the other.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot!

He is a beaut

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palmer, I agree with SGraves assessment, "SHOOT or RUN!"

Hopefully, I would have the cojones to shoot, but with the buff's head at that angle, wouldn't there be a tremendous risk that the bullet would glance of the bull's head? Or else, repeat your experience of shooting into the boss?

Wouldn't it be better to try to drive one into the point of the near shoulder and hamper his movement, hopefully hitting heart and lungs with bullet and bone shrapnel?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm trying to learn as I've never been in the situation pictured. And while I don't care to be in that situation, I hope to hunt cape buffalo some day, and very well could be!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I don't care if he is chargeing, or just moveing in my dirrection or standing still I'd shoot that sucker, he is a good buffalo.

I'd pop him on the right side of the nose between and just above the right nostral, and below his right eye, with the first barrel, and follow up with the second barrel just left,and below his right jaw line. Either of those shots even if the first one missed the brain, they would likely collect the spine in the neck behind the head. If he was still on his feet, some damn quick re-loading.

That old boy has a lot of wear, closed bosses, and don't seem soft, and worn smooth, and a lot of drop below the bosses. Good looking buffalo! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If charging and over twenty yards, I would chest shoot him. If closer than twenty yards, and charging shoot for the brain. If he is not charging, I would never take a head shot at a buffalo. Too easy to wound him and wind up with real trouble down the road. It is no fun losing two days of hunting looking for him and paying the trophy fee for a poorly hit buffalo.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Where was the picture taken?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buffalo. If I was hunting buffalo I'd try to place bullet just inside his right shoulder and half way between the brisket and the buffalo's nose. I guess I assume he is not charging.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you think is that boy's spread? 44? More or less?

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is not a charge just he is just having a closer look!

But as a trophy he is OK!

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Pull the trigger!!!

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Yes shoot.
Looks like a nice Bull

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
No don't shoot. Poor little guy, coming on over for that cracker you are holding out for him. He might suffer if you shoot him or die.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
STOP THE WORLD! I'll change places with you and take my chances. If I can bring my own gun.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Where was the picture taken?

Maswa

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
PLEASE DON'T SHOOT, send gps coordinates, ph's name and contact info to potlicker@gmail.com ASAP

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Give him one under the nose in the vertebrae of the neck and if he comes closer the final barrel low between the eyes...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
+ 1 with Mike. placement under the nose at the junction of neck and chest.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If he was coming with something serious in mind, or within 50 yards, I would pop him, hopefully with the vertical crosshair between his right eye and right nostril, and the horizontal about halfway up his chest.

If he looked like he was just curious, I would let him take a few more steps, and if he offered anything better, I'd pop him as soon as he turned.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 seconds later he is dinner or I am that greasy spot he is kneeling on...
Right thru the brisket with my 505 Gibbs and Woodleigh's finest.

Rich
Bang, you're dead, assume the position.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dead center between the eyes!

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BOOM .500 jeffery..under his chin with the first 525gr solid...the second as he turns and i would think twice about doing it either,what a fantastic buf Cool

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm operating on the assumption that the camera doesn't necessarily see what the eye sees - and, thus, that his chest may not be so shadowed as in the pic. Thus, I would prefer to try a chest shot. True, a shot in the nose might drive through to the brain - unless the nose has become a very small and bobbing target because he decided to step up a charge. Just my thoughts -and I speak from my vast experience of having shot one buff.Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote