THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SCI 2013 / Lion Conservation Fund Allocation
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI 2013 / Lion Conservation Fund Allocation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Most of us "cheerleaders" have lives and businesses as well as in general things to do that get in the way of debating people like you with infinite time in circular arguments. What have you done for conservation, education or hunter advocacy lately Steve? Get involved or expect to be dismissed with the rest of the 2 cents crowd.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
PS. If you don't like SCI…………then get involved with DSC! I don't really care who. Taking pot shots from the sidelines is being part of the problem and not the solution.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I have been very busy with work and with our impending chapter fundraiser. I will try to contact someone tomorrow to see about the status of the "lion money". I spoke with Melissa Simpson a few months ago regarding the expenditure of that money and my understanding was that it would go in total to grass routs efforts. I will let you know.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
do you really think SCI is going to give an accounting of what they do with money raised in light of $200k expense accounts for the president, corporate credit cards for EC members, and $1400 dinners for officers in Geneva? good luck on your quest, Don Quiotix( sic??)

Jerry,

That's BS. Watch it again. They were talking about how preposterous it was that they were accused of spending club money inappropriately because they spent $1,400 of THEIR OWN money on a dinner. Confirmation bias what?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
Steve,

Most of us "cheerleaders" have lives and businesses as well as in general things to do that get in the way of debating people like you with infinite time in circular arguments. What have you done for conservation, education or hunter advocacy lately Steve? Get involved or expect to be dismissed with the rest of the 2 cents crowd.

Brett

Even though (as I've pointed out before) you lack the spine to answer ANY of my very reasonable questions, I will briefly (YET AGAIN) answer yours.

No one has infinite time but I have a similar amount of time as any other retired person with a building project on the go and my arguments are not circular at all. They are however determined and I'll keep asking the same questions until I get relevant answers. Just because you guys either can't or won't provide the answers whilst trying to defend the indefensible doesn't mean I'll stop asking the questions. If that puts your nose out of joint, that's your problem.

What have I done for "conservation, education or hunter advocacy lately?"

Well how about the several hundreds of totally unbiased, free info pages on African hunting & related subjects that susan & I have built at www.shakariconnection.com for a start.

Or how about writing a book that has been described by several of my peers as the PHs training manual and/or the PHs bible, parts of which are used as part of the training syllabus for some PH training academies in RSA & elsewhere and has been acknowledged by many other ordinary hunters as the best explanation of the African hunting industry ever written etc.

Or how about my determined efforts to try to discover what's going on with SCI and how unfair & immoral the 'donation scheme' is. - The reason for my determination is that I consider it unfair to both normal hunters and the African hunting industry.

Or how about my presence here where I happily give accurate and totally unbiased advice/info whenever I can.

I think that covers the 3 subjects you mention and there are several other things that I won't bother to go into as well because even if you don't get the point, I'm sure most others have.

Now tell me again about how you sit in a talk shop and probably spend a fair bit of time discussing ways to ensure the corporation looks lily white whilst some at the top appear to have been caught with their fingers in the till?

And when you're done with that, how about getting back to the original subject of what happened to the US$1M that was apparently raised for lion conservation a year ago and doesn't appear to have been spent?

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
And when you're done with that, how about getting back to the original subject of what happened to the US$1M that was apparently raised for lion conservation a year ago and doesn't appear to have been spent?

As previously stated when I have time I will. Conservation of the African lion is something I care about. I'll let you know what I find out glory or warts.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
quote:

As previously stated when I have time I will. Conservation of the African lion is something I care about. I'll let you know what I find out glory or warts.

Brett

I won't hold my breath!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
do you really think SCI is going to give an accounting of what they do with money raised in light of $200k expense accounts for the president, corporate credit cards for EC members, and $1400 dinners for officers in Geneva? good luck on your quest, Don Quiotix( sic??)

For y'all that have your panties in such a wad why don't you check SCI and SCI Foundation 990s to see how money was spent. 990s are public information and give an accounting.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David that suggestion has been tried in the past and the 990 (good enough for the IRS) does not give enough detail for the sideline pot shooters.

I have been told it is enough for even one person to question SCI to support the on going diatribe on this web site. As to everything Steve has done it all appears to be in his self interest.

SCI will never be able to provide enough information to satisfy the half a dozen or so bitchers on AR.

Steve I know doing a building project does take ones time as I went thru that last year, oh yea I also continued my practice and found time to hunt Ethiopia for a few weeks, where there are no penned trophy animals.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Have you all also noticed that the specific question Aaron Mike had asked seems to have been ignored completely?

What have you personally done to try to make SCI the kind of organization that you want it to be? If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Mike,

You really have hit rock bottom now.

What can ONE member, who lives thousands of miles in another country, do to change an organization so convoluted in its running, that so many of its own members, in the same country that SCI is, have not been able to achieve??

What a pitiful cop out. But at least you answered the question, sort of. The answer is "Not a damn thing." Apparently you live too far away to do something constructive but not far enough away to not be critical.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem .

Hey...that's my line...I want a reference!!! lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Have you all also noticed that the specific question Aaron Mike had asked seems to have been ignored completely?

What have you personally done to try to make SCI the kind of organization that you want it to be? If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Mike,

What can ONE member, who lives thousands of miles in another country, do to change an organization so convoluted in its running, that so many of its own members, in the same country that SCI is, have not been able to achieve??

What a pitiful cop out. But at least you answered the question, sort of. The answer is "Not a damn thing." Apparently you live too far away to do something constructive but not far enough away to not be critical.

Mike,

You are epitomizing the SCI apologists mantra.

You cannot provide any reasonable excuse for al their shenanigans, and you are trying to divert the attention away from what we are asking for.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, if we are SCI apologists, then you and your ilk are SCI antagonists just for the fun of it. You are not interested in any information or comments about SCI that doesn't pillar the organization.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike,

Mike,

You are epitomizing the SCI apologists mantra.

You cannot provide any reasonable excuse for al their shenanigans, and you are trying to divert the attention away from what we are asking for.

Weak effort. I am not trying to excuse their behavior, I condemn it. The Intergalactic headquarters of SCI has clearly lost touch with not only SCI's mission but its members. That said, I am not prepared to simply sit in the bleachers and just boo either. If you want to make a difference, get involved. You, Steve and others have clearly demonstrated that you prefer to simply cast stones as opposed to actually doing something constructive like investing your time, effort and energies to improving the organization.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
While we are on the subject of questions, an interesting question for those that are some of SCI's harshest critics might be, other than paying your membership fee, what have you done personally to make SCI the kind of organization you would want it to be?

Mike - Again, I don't feel as of yet that I personally am being a critic of SCI. That could/could not come later, but I'm still waiting for info to decide my opinion in this matter.

However, your question is a fair/valid point! I can speak now only for myself - and in the name of being respectful to others I will not name anyone specifically, but here's exactly what I have tried to do. On several occasions over the past 24 months - I and Dr. Lane Easter as well. Have tried desperately to help SCI with the Lion Conservation issue. I have in fact on 3 different occasions got the "RIGHT" person on the horn/email, with the exception of one of those conversations - it was made pretty clear that neither my thoughts/opinions, advice, or input was of much interest to SCI. Frankly, it was pretty obvious that my status level was not high enough up the SCI ladder to be taken very seriously (quite the opposite reaction I get from DSC to be honest). The 3rd call as referenced earlier - I was given great lip service, told I would be contacted in 2 days to schedule a conference call, and that was the last I ever heard from that person again??? So, my lack of involvement with SCI - at least on the part of lion conservation is not from my lack of effort, but rather a lack of reciprocation from SCI.

Honestly Mike, let me be blunt! I know very little in life, hell man - to this day I have only a high school education, nothing more. But on the flip side of that - I know hunting, the business of hunting, the business of hunting in Africa, the African Lion and the Conservation of the African Lion - much better than most. When I talk to some of these folks, and see just how little they know themselves about the lion - but yet look down their nose at me cause I haven't vaulted up the SCI awards/status ladder, its really irritating! Someone like Dr. Lane Easter and myself, really could have provided a lot of helpful advice/input, but every time we try - its just down right offensive, the interaction we get? Certainly at least me anyway. And Mike, as you have seen here on AR for years now - I have very thick skin! So me saying this now, isn't cause little Aaron got his feeling hurt. The only time I ever take offense is if someone is threatening my family, or my livelihood - otherwise it doesn't phase me. So no, I'm not saying this out of spite, I'm simply telling you how its gone - when I have tried to help. Its been made clear, my help is not needed or wanted. And why so?? Hell, myself and/or Lane - might just have been able to provide some knowledge/experience in the matter, that could have been very helpful?

Interestingly enough, just the opposite reaction at DSC? In less than 2 hours, simply via text messages mostly - at last year's DSC convention we were able to get the DSC President, Executive Director (Ben Carter-Wonderful Guy) Vice-President, and a dozen other important folks with valuable input, to a Thursday morning emergency meeting on the status of the lion and its impending doom. Now of course we didn't all totally agree on all points, etc. But those in power did listen, did evaluate, and act to the best of their ability - on the info provided to them. And they did so within 2 weeks!!! DSC put the lion's needs ahead of their own, just my opinion.

So Mike, folks can say what they will - but I am basing my personal opinions on my own personal experiences. I have tried to help, my help wasn't wanted/needed.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
While we are on the subject of questions, an interesting question for those that are some of SCI's harshest critics might be, other than paying your membership fee, what have you done personally to make SCI the kind of organization you would want it to be?

Mike - Again, I don't feel as of yet that I personally am being a critic of SCI. That could/could not come later, but I'm still waiting for info to decide my opinion in this matter.

However, your question is a fair/valid point! I can speak now only for myself - and in the name of being respectful to others I will not name anyone specifically, but here's exactly what I have tried to do. On several occasions over the past 24 months - I and Dr. Lane Easter as well. Have tried desperately to help SCI with the Lion Conservation issue. I have in fact on 3 different occasions got the "RIGHT" person on the horn/email, with the exception of one of those conversations - it was made pretty clear that neither my thoughts/opinions, advice, or input was of much interest to SCI. Frankly, it was pretty obvious that my status level was not high enough up the SCI ladder to be taken very seriously (quite the opposite reaction I get from DSC to be honest). The 3rd call as referenced earlier - I was given great lip service, told I would be contacted in 2 days to schedule a conference call, and that was the last I ever heard from that person again??? So, my lack of involvement with SCI - at least on the part of lion conservation is not from my lack of effort, but rather a lack of reciprocation from SCI.

Honestly Mike, let me be blunt! I know very little in life, hell man - to this day I have only a high school education, nothing more. But on the flip side of that - I know hunting, the business of hunting, the business of hunting in Africa, the African Lion and the Conservation of the African Lion - much better than most. When I talk to some of these folks, and see just how little they know themselves about the lion - but yet look down their nose at me cause I haven't vaulted up the SCI awards/status ladder, its really irritating! Someone like Dr. Lane Easter and myself, really could have provided a lot of helpful advice/input, but every time we try - its just down right offensive, the interaction we get? Certainly at least me anyway. And Mike, as you have seen here on AR for years now - I have very thick skin! So me saying this now, isn't cause little Aaron got his feeling hurt. The only time I ever take offense is if someone is threatening my family, or my livelihood - otherwise it doesn't phase me. So no, I'm not saying this out of spite, I'm simply telling you how its gone - when I have tried to help. Its been made clear, my help is not needed or wanted. And why so?? Hell, myself and/or Lane - might just have been able to provide some knowledge/experience in the matter, that could have been very helpful?

Interestingly enough, just the opposite reaction at DSC? In less than 2 hours, simply via text messages mostly - at last year's DSC convention we were able to get the DSC President, Executive Director (Ben Carter-Wonderful Guy) Vice-President, and a dozen other important folks with valuable input, to a Thursday morning emergency meeting on the status of the lion and its impending doom. Now of course we didn't all totally agree on all points, etc. But those in power did listen, did evaluate, and act to the best of their ability - on the info provided to them. And they did so within 2 weeks!!! DSC put the lion's needs ahead of their own, just my opinion.

So Mike, folks can say what they will - but I am basing my personal opinions on my own personal experiences. I have tried to help, my help wasn't wanted/needed.

Thank you Aaron.

You have answered the most important question.

That SCI could not care less what the members think.

Could not careless if any member comes up with a suggestion that will benefit all of us as hunters.

And Mike wants me to do something from thousands of miles away!

Mike, what are YOU doing to help correct what obviously you are not happy about with SCI?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Aaron, you are in the arena. You are someone working to make a difference. All a person can do is try. What I have contempt for is the person that simply declares defeat from the outset, throws up their hands and declares they can make no difference, then proceeds to simply use their time and talents to be critical. To have tried and failed is far better in my mind than to have never tried at all. Your efforts are to be respected and should serve as a model to others. Not so much for the others that have decided to give up before they even started.

Saeed, my modest efforts have been documented on other threads responding to Steve's ad hominem attacks. While you and others might be dismissive of those efforts at least I can look at myself in the mirror and say that I am trying, constructively, to make a difference as opposed to simply lobbing in pot shots.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1. Exactly how it went down. I too was promised a conference call for Aaron and I...even given a tentative date and time. They welched and I could never get further contact.

DSC listened, asked questions, deliberated, and ACTED.

Another person with DSC who should get credit for lion conservation is Chris Hudson.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You are working to make a difference too Lane. I commend your efforts.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Actually if I was Saeed...I would be very reluctant to have my name even remotely associated with SCI...until the act is cleaned up.

For a man such as Saeed...the association would only lump him into "the Club". A place he obviously does NOT want to be.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are working to make a difference too Lane. I commend your efforts.

Same back to you Mike. beer

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
David that suggestion has been tried in the past and the 990 (good enough for the IRS) does not give enough detail for the sideline pot shooters.

I have been told it is enough for even one person to question SCI to support the on going diatribe on this web site. As to everything Steve has done it all appears to be in his self interest.

SCI will never be able to provide enough information to satisfy the half a dozen or so bitchers on AR.

Steve I know doing a building project does take ones time as I went thru that last year, oh yea I also continued my practice and found time to hunt Ethiopia for a few weeks, where there are no penned trophy animals.

Ed

Those documents do not appear to show the value of hunt donations, how much was raised from the auctions and what was done with the money. Not only could none of us SCI critics find those figures, neither could you cheerleaders.... or if you could, you chose not to tell us.

Please do tell me what I have done for my own self interests? - I've never promoted my business here, I've never pimped for clients, I've never as far as I can remember ever posted a hunt on the hunts offered forum and the links I post to my own site are for information only. The site costs CONSIDERABLY more to build and maintain than it gives us in any financial return and we've never asked anyone for a single donation to help run the site. The intention of the site is what it says on the homepage....... to help hunters. Nothing more and nothing less.

Why won't SCI ever be able to provide us with enough info to satisfy us? - Other charities manage to publish details of where their money goes and I've often posted links to those sites. If they can do it as a matter of course, why, I wonder is it such as secret with SCI?

No-one, least of all me, has ever suggested you hunt penned animals so I'm unsure of why you raise that subject... I know you feel pretty much the same way as I do on that particular subject.

Mike

All you've done here is refuse to answer perfectly reasonable questions and try to shift the topic of conversation to avoid the real point of the debate.

I on the other hand have answered every question you & others have asked.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Actually if I was Saeed...I would be very reluctant to have my name even remotely associated with SCI...until the act is cleaned up.

For a man such as Saeed...the association would only lump him into "the Club". A place he obviously does NOT want to be.

I beg to differ. When you have a battle on your hands, that is precisely the time when you need men of character and fortitude to step up. Just think of all the things that would be far worse in the world if good people sat the fight out.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I beg to differ. When you have a battle on your hands, that is precisely the time when you need men of character and fortitude to step up. Just think of all the things that would be far worse in the world if good people sat the fight out.

Mike,
After all the shellacings I have taken on here over the lion and all the rude names I have been called by fellow AR members...surely you know I feel the same way.

That said...I have been down the road of trying to work with SCI and they stuck the proverbial stick where the sun don't shine and then broke it off.

Why not recommend to Saeed that he should expend his efforts where he know's they will be put to good use...an his name won't be tarnished just by association.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I don't think anyone posting here can provide the detail of information you are requesting. Maybe you should take your request directly to SCI. If they can't or won't satisfy your request then (if it were me) go your merry way and do not sup[port the organization. This AR broken record has been turned way too many times.

It was brought to this site that SCI raised (more difficult than to spend) and all it brought were more complaints form a few.

It would be nice to have people say good as a pat on the back as that does more good as they say - sugar draws more ants than vinegar.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike,
After all the shellacings I have taken on here over the lion and all the rude names I have been called by fellow AR members...surely you know I feel the same way.

That said...I have been down the road of trying to work with SCI and they stuck the proverbial stick where the sun don't shine and then broke it off.

Why not recommend to Saeed that he should expend his efforts where he know's they will be put to good use...an his name won't be tarnished just by association.

Let me just add:

Last year about this time...I lost a lot of respect for SCI...however...I still support them.

I will the first to sing their praises when they EARN IT back.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike,

Lane, if that is where we are, where good people should sit the fight out rather than engage due to a fear of being associated with the effort then let's just declare defeat and move on.

Mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve, I don't think anyone posting here can provide the detail of information you are requesting. Maybe you should take your request directly to SCI. If they can't or won't satisfy your request then (if it were me) go your merry way and do not sup[port the organization. This AR broken record has been turned way too many times.

It was brought to this site that SCI raised (more difficult than to spend) and all it brought were more complaints form a few.

It would be nice to have people say good as a pat on the back as that does more good as they say - sugar draws more ants than vinegar.

Ed

That's the very point I'm trying to make....... No one here can or will come up with those figures and that's what bugs the shite out of me because they should be readily available just as they are with other charities etc but the fact that they're not readily available won't stop me asking the questions about said figures.

You're dead right. t would be nice if people said nice things about SCI and 'd love to be able to say what a good job they're doing but I can't remember a time when I felt they were and so I'll continue to give them shite until they do manage to start doing what consider a good job.

I've never said they don't do any good........ my point is they could and should do so much better than they do.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike,

Lane, if that is where we are, where good people should sit the fight out rather than engage due to a fear of being associated with the effort then let's just declare defeat and move on.

Mike,
I hear what you are saying...believe me I do. I said many of these same words here when advocating for lion conservation acceptance.

And...I agree.

That said...I have worked in the trenches for a while now. And...I can tell you that politically...being associated with SCI sometimes is a damming thing...due to their shenanigans. And it is not the anti-hunting sentiment that does it as being associated with DSC does not get the same reaction.

So...I can see Saeed's point of view.

That said and as I stated above...SCI does do good too and I support them...albeit...they lost a lot of my respect over the lion issue and they DID NOT put their best foot forward over it. I promise you that is 100% the truth.

All the other BS and their past association with OOA...really does do a lot of harm to their image. And after all...being a lawyer you should know...sometimes it is perception rather than reality that matters in the public eye. (pun by accident but a good one)

Just my 2 cents...FWIW. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron, you are in the arena. You are someone working to make a difference. All a person can do is try. What I have contempt for is the person that simply declares defeat from the outset, throws up their hands and declares they can make no difference, then proceeds to simply use their time and talents to be critical. To have tried and failed is far better in my mind than to have never tried at all. Your efforts are to be respected and should serve as a model to others. Not so much for the others that have decided to give up before they even started.

Yes sir, I agree! Honestly, I just want to help the lion - that's really all I care about here. But yes, it has been very frustrating when you know that you can/would help, and they won't even give you the opportunity to do so.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1. Exactly how it went down. I too was promised a conference call for Aaron and I...even given a tentative date and time. They welched and I could never get further contact.

DSC listened, asked questions, deliberated, and ACTED.

Another person with DSC who should get credit for lion conservation is Chris Hudson.

That is correct! Chris Hudson has been DSC's biggest lion advocate. A self-less leader, and contributor to wildlife conservation is Chris.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike,

But Mike, Lane and I have tried to get in the "fight"! We did, and we got the door slammed in our face by SCI.

Obviously Lane and I are not shy when it comes to getting in the "fight", just look at the beatings we have taken over the lion issues in the past. We'll fight, but its hard to fight when you can't even get in the door.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ed

That's the very point I'm trying to make....... No one here can or will come up with those figures and that's what bugs the shite out of me because they should be readily available just as they are with other charities etc but the fact that they're not readily available won't stop me asking the questions about said figures.

Ed, frankly Steve's right IMO. It should be readily available info, should it not? Its just simple accountability, is it not? I think folks start to wonder if there's not some fishy business going on - when the info is not made public? I'm not saying it is in fact fishy biz that's going on, I'm just saying that some folks might see it that way?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, first one must distinguish between SCI and SCI Foundation. SCI is a lobbying org a 401(c)(4). The SCI Foundation is a 401(c)(3) a charitable organization. When people accept that fact and address problems as such then maybe people can agree. I still don't know where any charity gives the details that are ask for here.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron, first one must distinguish between SCI and SCI Foundation. SCI is a lobbying org a 401(c)(4). The SCI Foundation is a 401(c)(3) a charitable organization. When people accept that fact and address problems as such then maybe people can agree. I still don't know where any charity gives the details that are ask for here.

Ed

What's important to me is the value of the 'donations' the amount raised by their being auctioned & what happens to that money (we're talking many millions here) not whether it's SCI, SCI foundation or the Chuckle Brothers who deal with it.

If you look up UGLE Grand Charity HERE and follow the links, you'll see they have donated more than UKP100M or US$163M over the last 30 odd years and every penny given to umpteen different charities is separately documented.

If they can do it, then SCI can do it but the difference is SCI choose not to........ which begs the question of WHY?

That's a shit load of money mate!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Or look at it another way. If they don't publish that info in a clearly understandable manner, they could have tens of millions of dollars to spend on anything they wish without approval of the members.

It could go on Ferraris for the (unelected) BoDs or to PETA or to fund Obama etc....... I'm not for a moment suggesting those things do happen & am just using them as an example but it's not unreasonable to suggest that info should be easily available & I'm astounded that US Charity law does not require it.

In this particular case, they bragged about raising US$1M for lion conservation (not post legislation lobbying etc) & it appears (at first glance at least) nothing has been done with that money & that also isn't fair or reasonable...... Or at least, it's not to me!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Not specifically Lion but here's some SCI Foundation information easily googled.

SCI Foundation

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve I followed you link to the Hey Haria Leaders web site and found little explanation at to the spending of the funds, but did see a bold link How to Donate to them. I saw one of their good deeds was providing help for their elder members, self serving not true charity. If I wanted to spend the time I could rip that sit apart following your lead with SCI. I could find little about the expenditures an saw no link to financial reporting - like audited financial reports or reports to proper governmental authorities.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Not specifically Lion but here's some SCI Foundation information easily googled.

SCI Foundation

I'm sure it's interesting but if it doesn't answer the same questions I've been asking for years, it's not what I and others would like to know.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

SCI Foundation

I'm sure it's interesting but if it doesn't answer the same questions I've been asking for years, it's not what I and others would like to know.

Who are you speaking for?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote