Find
Notify
Tools

Youth and dangerous game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
My young son had aspirations of hunting dangerous game so I had started to do research on the subject. Found out that there are minimum age restrictions in some countries. Mozambique, for one, will not issue a hunting license for Cape Buffalo to anyone younger than 21 years. (Thank you, Bahati)

Personally, I am glad that such regulations exist because it shows that the regulatory hunting organizations and the professionals are responsible people and that the safety and protection of the client hunters are foremost and above monetary gain.

My son, who is 11 years old now, wanted to hunt Cape Buffalo in 2010. His mother already had given him permission to do so. Even though, at 13, he might be able to handle a 9.3x62 I am not thoroughly comfortable about his taking on an angry and charging mbogo. We are now going to redirect my son's wish to be a big game bwana toward plains game until such time as he reaches legal age to hunt dangerous game. Postponing his DG hunt might save me some money, for a time at least, but it will most certainly save me the worry and anxiety of losing my son at an early age.

11 year-old Springbok hunt, Namibia 2008

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Have him take a go at a big Eland. Tough animal and can be difficult to track at times. It would be a test of his skill in all facets.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibiahunter,

We were in Chirisa during August 2000. There were four gentleman in another camp that were strictly bird hunting. One of the hunter's son was with them. I believe he was about 15.The father had arranged for a buffalo hunt for his son as a surprise. PH Chris Ferreira got the young man his buff after a few days of hard hunting.

Everyone was congratulating the young man and Chris. I imagine that young man will never forget the experience of that hunt.

Talk about braggging rights when he went back to school after summer vacation!!!

Hope your son gets his dream hunt someday.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I would take him and have him shoot some plains game.. Should he show to be competant and cool with his shooting, I would give him a chance for nyati... As a bonus, What a smile would come on his face when the Ph asks him to come on a buf hunt since he shot so well...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my son to Africa in 2005 at age 14, and he took several head of plains game and a buffalo. I had prepped him for months before the hunt and felt very confident he would do fine... and he did. He was so composed that the trackers called him "ice water". Of course, dad was standing at one shoulder with his .470 NE and the PH at the other with his .458 WM just in case the buff didn't fall down on cue. He took another the following year and will probably do so again this year.

So if you are contemplating such a hunt, I think it can be done fairly safely. I do think it adds immeasurably to a youngster's self confidence and character developement. I will add that a few days later I wounded a buffalo, and that I asked for one of the trackers to take my son back to the vehicle while the PH and I followed up with the remaining tracker.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know one guy who while on safari at age 16 shot a trophy bull elephant, 9 buffalo, a leopard and various plains game, but then again, his name is Richard Harland.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
99.99% of DG hunting is non-dangerous.

If you take your kid, 10 years or 40 years old, DG hunting and he gets hammered, you have to take responsibilty, whatever that means, for it, and not start blaming the gun, the PH, or something else.

Most anyone can stand up and ding their first buff. Though great fun it is not a red badge of courage or any greater accomplishment than taking ones first whitetail.

I sometimes wonder whether a 10 year old kid could have a real appreciation for what he has done compared to an adult.

You got the bucks. Take him. Why not?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is better to let each man earn his own right to do the most important things in life, including the right to hunt DG.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

I sometimes wonder whether a 10 year old kid could have a real appreciation for what he has done compared to an adult.

Will

I've seen a few grown men become very emotional and some even unashamedly drop a tear or two after fulfilling the long awaited dream of taking their Leopard, Cape Buffalo or Sable bull.

I've never seen any kid do that.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Perhaps it is better to let each man earn his own right to do the most important things in life, including the right to hunt DG.

I tend to agree, but my opinion is shaped by my life.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is often easier to hunt dangerous game with kids- they are far more likely to do what the PH tells them than an adult Wink

Have guided kids as young as 9 on elephant and buffalo- but would agree that a teenager will apreciate it more- and somebody who has had to part with hard earned cash even more so.

Hunting plains game in a big game area is almost as dangerous as hunting big game. In fact, sometimes more so- when you are hunting big game you are prepared for trouble- when hunting plains game you are not- and frequently totally inadequately armed. Stopping that peeved tuskless ele with your .243 that you were carrying for warthog just doesn't work.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the young man, or women for that matter is mature enough (that varies a lot and can be from age 9-15) take them, do it. I plan on taking my daughter on DG hunts, she is 9 now and after she's had some more experience with elk and deer away she goes for DR. My teenage son will be with me in a few weeks in ZIM hunting buff while I'm after tuskless.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I read some where that at the first safari trip someone shooted a tuskless or a problem elephant bull.
As I read that many AR members have hunted buffalo. I always saw hunting in Africa as something like an experience increasing, with propedeutic hunts that increase skills, experiences and adrenalin.
An Italian motto says "don't postpone till tomorrow something that can be done today", ok, our future is always uncertain, ok, but I think that between a steenbock and a buffalo or an elephant there are many species that can be seen as steps to arrive at the buffalo and the elephant.

I think that the risk is to feel all the experiences after an elephant or a buffalo insipid and not too much exciting.

Absolutely my opinion, of course

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took both of my boys on safari when one was a late teen and the other was in his twenties. It was a great experience for both, as they were able to hunt together with their own PH. They still talk about it and tell me they are going to take me to Africa some day. I told them to take my grandchildren so they could tell me about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
If you take your kid, 10 years or 40 years old, DG hunting and he gets hammered, you have to take responsibilty...

Truer words were never spoken! Take my word for it, you wont love him any less or miss him any more should the unthinkable happen regardless of his age. That said I think he may have a greater appreciation for the big stuff after several years of "regular" hunting. Not to mention the building anticipation that may serve to keep him interested in the sports.

Generally speaking I am against age restrictions in hunting. In some U.S. states your son doesn't qualify to hunt rabbits yet. All kids are different and nobody knows them better than their parents - particularly their mother! Too often by the time they are "old enough" to hunt they've already lost interest in doing so. Keep him interested and when you determine he's ready do as you feel best.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nambiahunter

As others have said, kids follow the advice of the PH better than adults do. Plus they can run much faster than you, have better eyesight and don't have preconvieved ideas.

But here's the real deal: right now your son probably looks at you as a "all knowing god". When he gets older you'll become an idiot and it will take another decade or more to turn full circle.

When your son askes to do something with dad, you jump at the opportunity. Don't worry about the "will he appreciate it" arguement. It's about spending time with your son.

Your son will be a teenager soon enough and you'll find that your status on his social ladder will drop big time.

I'm curious of those who are giving advice on this topic have ever taken their teenage children on a DG hunt.

I took my 15 year old to the Selous last summer and we had the time of our lives.

Here's the deal, right now you are a "all knowing god"

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my sons on their first safari when they were 12+14. I took them again when they were 14+16. Both were plains game hunts for them, and both were great trips. I hunted DG on the second trip, so they saw a little of that.

I have no doubt both my boys could confidently handle DG. They have hunted abroad and in the US more than most men three or four times their age. I do not intend to take them on a DG hunt anytime soon. While finances influence that decision, I could take them if I wanted to. I do continue to foot the bill and take them on several other hunts a year, even though they are now 18+20.

Hunting DG has a special meaning for me. Maybe because I earned the ability to fund these hunts, but mainly because I have the life expereince to really appreciate what it means to purposefully put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. Properly preparing oneself mentally, as well as achieving the requisiste skill with a rifle, etc., is essential to appreciating this experience. I don't think most kids can truly appreciate the challenge. Hell, most all kids think they are bullet proof! I have rarely seen that mindset change with anything other than age.

From an overall safety perspective, I say to each his own. I don't look down on any father who wants to take his kids DG hunting. I do think they will appreciate it more later in life.

In any event, take them hunting - for PG, DG, deer, elk, or rabbits, it doesn't matter. You will enjoy the expereince as much as they do for years to come.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents

I have taken my son on three hunts (2 Africa and 1 NZ) and my wife on an African hunt- and after reflection, it did not mean that much to them. They went along to share my passion, etc., and had a nice time, but that was it.

Doing it again- let them go off on a vacation of their choice, and I will use the money for an upgraded hunt for myself.

I now think it is better to let people choose their passion, and to "earn it" as some others have posted. I wonder if those of us who are able to afford to take others on dream hunts don't take for granted how unique a thing it is to hunt in Africa.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that to really appreciate anything in life you have to "earn it". My son is 16 now, and we have been hunting deer in Pa. since he was 12. This is very specail for both of us. I'm proud to have introduced him to hunting, and he enjoys it. However, right now I can tell that his passion for hunting is not at my level. I'm OK with that, and when he becomes a man I would enjoy hunting Africa with him. If in fact he would like to go. His passion now is Playing Football, Wrestling, and playing the guitar. Let boys do boy things. That window is not open very long.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you start a youngster at the top, where does he/she have to go in the future? Africa is something one should aspire to and earn rather than have it handed to him/her.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest son shot a buff when he was 12 with my 375.

My youngest son shot a lion when he was 12.

I would not have let either go into a dangerous situation such as a wounded animal in cover. I was there with a big rifle as was the PH. They were given very specific instructions on what to do under various circumstances.

It was an amazing experience for both. It built an amazing amount of confidence. It is something neither will forget.

I don't regret either. I might add that both had been to Africa multiple times before. Both had shot numerous animals before that trip.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is certainly legal in some places so that is not a problem. He seems to want to do more African hunting so that is not a problem, nor is his mother or your finances a problem. You got a lot of opinions but you know your son and what is good for him.

I think having a dad that can and would take him on these trips is pretty amazing. I found and financed Africa on my own but dad started the whole thing years before by taking me pheasant hunting.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the kid, I have seen some 12 year old kids that were more than capable of hunting any dangerous game, I have seen others, more pampered and that have come from a totally different lifestyle that, through no fault of their own, were not ready to hunt Dangerous game at 21 years old..

If your son has maturity and has lived an outdoor life, with responsibity etc. and if you have been a good role model to him, then I suspect he can handle about anything out there.

I would not hesitate to let my grandson hunt anything, he is a team roper, calf roper, has the care of 6 horses and three dogs, keeping fences up,has hunted big game with me since age 3, and shot his first deer at age 6 and one every year since, he is now 16, an honor student, but has no desire to go to Africa, rodeoing is his thing and I respect that..He was fortunate enough to be raised in the country, have chores to do, has always been required to work hard with me and his dad..Unfortunately many kids today are not so lucky, they don't have the opertunity, the laws won't let you give them a job, so they get a skate board, sleep until noon on weekends and many become couch patatoes and become obese..That is the shame of our country that so many kids don't count.

But enough of my soap box, if he is mature then for goodness sake do him and yourself a favor and take him DG hunting..You and the PH and whoever else will see to his welfare. He will be in more danger on the city streets than in Africa hunting dangerous game.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote