Notify
Tools

If you thought All Gone's...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also not realistic to compare 2 different hunts in two different countries that probably occurred at different times, etc, etc.

why?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has LL3 suffered habitat loss, poaching for juju to that extent?

Mich: I clean forgot to answer you on that one.

The SGR is not affected by habitat loss as you well know that no one is permitted to live in the Reserve let alone enter it without authorization.

I have also made it quite clear that poaching in the entire Selous has recently gone overboard.
And where exactly on the map is LL3 ? - right on the northern boundary which also happens to be one of the main entry points through LL3 and who borders the eastern boundary of LL3?
Did you know that over half the hippo population of L. Utunge has been decimated in just under 3 years? - By tourist hunters?

Enough said !

Lastly, what has happened to LL3 ? ....some bright spark has just subdivided it into 3 pieces and the Lion conservationists have just sat and watched rotflmo
We all know how the quota gets allocated to sub-divided block don't we?
Kitwai A & B has been divided into A,B,C,D - and several others further north. Did the conservationists in general offer any sage contributions to these negative moves? - None
that I know of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505:

The TZ cheerleading squad is out in force.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Aaron
I believe in your conservation effort and I believe that it will ease the pressure that sport hunting has put on some lion populations. Having said that, it is my opinion that you are bind to some of the problems and issues regarding the hunters who will likely take one lion hunt in their life(an are more likely to kill the wrong lions), as illustrated in your post below:

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Someone who has a lion or two under his/her belt has a clarity of purpose and stronger resolve (ie, shoot an older trophy lion) that a first-timer who has a large investment in the hunt itself may not have (ie, I have $40K invested in a hunt and a legal lion appeared on bait with two days remaining on my hunt).

But, what makes my $40,000.00 investment any less valuable than the next guy's? What makes the $110,000.00 I've spent on 3 unsuccessful lion hunts (1 in Tanzania, 2 in Zambia) any less valuable than someone else?

There are two huge differences between your $40K investment and the $40k investment of the "once in a lifetime lion hunter".

First, you are undertaking your hunt knowing that if you are unsuccessful you will be back to hunt lions again in a year or two. The "once in a lifetime" lion hunter does not have this luxury. Due to whatever circumstance(money, age, etc.) if he doesn't get his lion now, he will never get one.

Second, and most importantly, you already have "your lion" and on top of that you have a dozen or so great lions. Of course your need to take a lion for the sake of taking a lion is going to be far, far less than that of the "once in a lifetime lion hunter.

------------------------------

As for this second quote, I apologize for chopping it up and taking your words out of context. I did so for the sake of clarity.

It is clear that some of us have a problem with you leading this effort when you yourself have taken more than a dozen lions. It is also clear that you feel justified in that you have practiced sound conservation practices during most of those lion hunts.

I am just giving the most cynical side of my opinions on the quote below, but I would be interested to hear if you can understand my stance or if you can provide information that would change my mind. I am playing the devils advocate, so to speak.

quote:
No, not every lion I have shot would meet the criteria I now believe in. I shot my first lion over 16 yrs ago, long before anyone, including the scientific community even thought about such things as it pertains to lions/lion hunting, etc.
I can tell you this, the first lion I shot 16 yrs ago, is probably a 4 yr old.
What the heck did I know, it was my first trip to Africa?
Other than the fact that times have changed , how does that make you any different that the guy today who kills a 4 year old lion on his first hunt? And going by the accepted fact that these estimates can be off by a year or so, your lion may have been 3 years old...

Since then, I feel pretty confident in saying every lion I have taken is 5 yrs old or better, and I have never shot a male lion in the presence of a pride, or one I thought/knew was a pride male.
But the accepted age to take a lion is now considered to be 6 years old, and you are only "pretty confident" that they were at least 5yo, so they may have been 4, or possibley even 3.5. So there is little doubt that some of your 15 lions have not been "sound" from a conservation standpoint, correct? Edited to add: And with over a dozen lions taken, there is a very good chance that at least a couple of these lions were in fact pride holding males that were out on "walkabout"(as Bwanamich calls it)

Times have changed alot since my first safari, especially just in the past 3-5 yrs.
In other words, you have only been practicing these sound conservation policies for the past 3-5 years, and it is fair to assume that all the lion you killed before that were only of the proper age(if in fact they were) by sheer luck....

I've taken some great Lions, hunting them is my passion in life and I will continue to do it.
Yes you will be able to continue hunting lions if your conservation efforts are sucessfull and lion hunting is not closed. Nevermind that many of the would be "once in a lifetime" lion hunters will be priced out of the game. But who cares, you'll still be able to hunt them....

I passed numerous male lions that we knew were not old/mature lions, and I went home without one. That's just lion hunting!!! It doesn't take much restraint to pass on non-trophy lions when you already have a dozen or so trophy lion. It is easy to say "that's just lion hunting" when you are a guy who already has more great trophy lion than most people can even dream about.

I hope no one sees my post as an attack, as it was not meant that way.

Jason - No worries, I'll try to answer them one at a time.

1. The difference is, 16, almost 17 yrs ago now, NO ONE was considering the dynamics of the lion, or the hunting practices that are NOW under scrutiny. Not me, not the African Hunting industry, and not the scientific community either. You cannot act upon something, that NO ONE is/was aware of. Unlike now, some are saying - "yes I know it may not be the right choice as it pertains to conservation, but I'm gonna "GET MINE", if I can. I honestly think the explanation to your question is self-explanatory.

2. I've personally never lobbied for a 6yr or nothing age limit! I think 5 should be acceptable, and I have said that many times, as have some in the scientific community as well. You're welcome to look back through all the pics I've posted of my lions, and tear them apart anyway you can, I'm ok with that. Fact is, I'm concerned about today's lion, tomorrow's lion, and ones that guys are still shooting and did shoot in 2010/2011 and into the future. Lions shot, when everyone has become aware of the current circumstances is my concern. ALL of us are now aware of the issues, and have been made more and more aware of the issues over the last few years. I'm not on here railing about some lion, that some dude shot 6, 8, or 10 years ago, when NO ONE was truly understanding, or complying with, different lion hunting standards. That's just absurd. If you want to do that with my lions, feel free!

And yes, could one have been a pride male, yep - possibly! There's rarely a way to ever know that, at least throughout the numerous places I have hunted lions. But using your words "FACT IS", just as easily none of them were pride males. Speculation is just that, speculation. When I knew for sure (Botswana 2007) that one was a pride male, I let him walk. And yes, he was a great lion that I would have been very happy with.

3. Once again, NO ONE has been practicing new/better lion hunting strategies for very long, NO ONE. But by now, pretty much everyone is aware of it. Its popularity, for lack of a better word, has really come to light just in the past 3-5 yrs, IMO. But for me personally, I gave the example of the 2 younger/immature males I passed in TZ, that hunt was in 2004. I could have easily shot either one of them, but both the PH and myself knew they were young, and we decided not to shoot. So no, its not been totally by luck that I have not shot young male lions in recent years, I've made the decision not to.

4. Here's where I honestly just shake my head? Some who DO NOT KNOW ME AT ALL, sure seem to know alot about me, my financial status, and how I plan to continue hunting lions in the future? Jason, other than some disastrious debacle back in July 2011 in Mozambique (and it was not a hunt), I haven't hunted lion since June 2009 in Zambia. Fact is, its gotten way to expensive for me too. I honestly have no idea if I will ever shoot another lion, as I too am getting priced out of the market. Partly why I went to TZ to get my PH license. I want to continue to hunt lions, but knowing I likely cannot continue to afford it myself, the next best thing is to guide lion hunters, which I am scheduled to do in 2012.

I don't dictate lion prices, nor do I discriminate against those that can continue to afford it. If you're priced out, you're priced out, that's just life! I'm priced out of a Ferrari too, but I'm not begrudging those that have one, its just life!

5. Jason, its easy to say, "that's easy to say", but once again, you're taking the liberty of assuming?? Its easy for me to pass young/immature lions because its what I believe in, period! Its not easy for me to spend $50k plus, and come home without my intended quarry, that really sucks!! I've sacrificed many things in my life, so I could have the good fortune that I have had while in the hunting fields. I have no children, no debt to speak of, I live in a modest 3,000 sq ft house, and I am NOT married. I live with my girlfriend, and she's fine with me hunting as much as I want. Thus, I do not have alot of the same financial responsibilities as others, who have wives, children, college to pay for, divorces to pay for, etc, etc, etc. My money, and my time, means just as much to me as anyone else. But just as the BONGO example I gave earlier (did you read it). I do not personally sacrifice my conservation minded beliefs, for "selfish, I gotta get one", instant gratification. I care for the animals I hunt, too much for that, JMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
4. Here's where I honestly just shake my head? Some who DO NOT KNOW ME AT ALL, sure seem to know alot about me, my financial status, and how I plan to continue hunting lions in the future? Fact is, its gotten way to expensive for me too. I honestly have no idea if I will ever shoot another lion, as I too am getting priced out of the market. Partly why I went to TZ to get my PH license. I want to continue to hunt lions, but knowing I likely cannot continue to afford it myself, the next best thing is to guide lion hunters, which I am scheduled to do in 2012.

Aaron
The quote below was what made me think that you planned to continue collecting lions:

quote:
I've taken some great Lions, hunting them is my passion in life and I will continue to do it.

Obviously I misunderstood, and the thought that you would be the PH and not the client did not cross my mind. Also, I was under the impression that you had hunted lions earlier this year. I don't know where I got that idea, but I must have been mixed-up.

I do want to clairify my comment regarding my opinion that it is easier for you to come home empty handed, than it would be for the "once in a lifetime" lion hunter. I want to make it very clear that I was not assuming or implying that you are rich(or anything else regarding your financial status. I know that as a booking agent you have opportunities to fund a hunt in ways that others don't, etc. I also know that you are very a very driven person.)

Anyway, my comment was simply meant to point out that the fact that you have been able to take +- 20 lion hunts, and most likely you had a pretty good idea during most of those hunts that you would be able to hunt them again if you wanted to. On the other hand, the guy who is on the once in a lifetime hunt most likely knows that this is his one and only chance.

Again, I just want to make it clear that I am not making any judgement regarding your finances or how you pay for your hunts.

Thanks for answering my questions. You really did clear up a lot of stuff.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
4. Here's where I honestly just shake my head? Some who DO NOT KNOW ME AT ALL, sure seem to know alot about me, my financial status, and how I plan to continue hunting lions in the future? Fact is, its gotten way to expensive for me too. I honestly have no idea if I will ever shoot another lion, as I too am getting priced out of the market. Partly why I went to TZ to get my PH license. I want to continue to hunt lions, but knowing I likely cannot continue to afford it myself, the next best thing is to guide lion hunters, which I am scheduled to do in 2012.

Aaron
The quote below was what made me think that you planned to continue collecting lions:

quote:

Obviously I misunderstood, and the thought that you would be the PH and not the client did not cross my mind. Also, I was under the impression that you had hunted lions earlier this year. I don't know where I got that idea, but I must have been mixed-up.

I do want to clairify my comment regarding my opinion that it is easier for you to come home empty handed, than it would be for the "once in a lifetime" lion hunter. I want to make it very clear that I was not assuming or implying that you are rich(or anything else regarding your financial status. I know that as a booking agent you have opportunities to fund a hunt in ways that others don't, etc. I also know that you are very a very driven person.)

Anyway, my comment was simply meant to point out that the fact that you have been able to take +- 20 lion hunts, and most likely you had a pretty good idea during most of those hunts that you would be able to hunt them again if you wanted to. On the other hand, the guy who is on the once in a lifetime hunt most likely knows that this is his one and only chance.

Again, I just want to make it clear that I am not making any judgement regarding your finances or how you pay for your hunts.

Thanks for answering my questions. You really did clear up a lot of stuff.

Jason - Certainly you're right about one thing, and your questions/my responses, I think emphasize a couple of things. Reality, is often different than the perception of reality. And, its almost impossible to really KNOW, until you're walking in the same shoes.

No doubt, I have been extremely fortunate! I love my job, I love the opportunity it provides me, and I unknowingly take for granted, some of the things it has allowed me to do. Not intentionally, or with lack of consideration for others, but simply because its what I do everyday. I know its tough, when a guy's on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, to pass a young/immature lion. All I can say is, I think its what should be done.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know its tough, when a guy's on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, to pass a young/immature lion. All I can say is, I think its what should be done.

Either by changing the laws, or by educating hunters, I believe this is the direction we are headed.

I do think that a higher trophy fee(or an add on "harvest/success fee") coupled with a lower daily rate would take the pressure off the client to take a sub-par lion.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have a dog (lion) in this fight, but MJines and JBrown seem to be the voices of reason here. I appreciate what Aaron and Lane are doing, but there is the cold, hard truth.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know its tough, when a guy's on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, to pass a young/immature lion. All I can say is, I think its what should be done.

Totally agree Aaron. Combine this with a downgrade option and everybody goes home happy.

This is known as the Fairgame system.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Totally agree Aaron. Combine this with a downgrade option and everybody goes home happy.

This is known as the Fairgame system.

Big Grin Works for me!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Hopefully not.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully not.

The concept, not its implementation.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This fairgame fella , Andrew Baldry, sounds like a goood sob that I would like to share a sundowner with. However, I don't think I'll get to do that in Zambia. Does he make the shows in the US?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Either by changing the laws, or by educating hunters, I believe this is the direction we are headed.

I do think that a higher trophy fee(or an add on "harvest/success fee") coupled with a lower daily rate would take the pressure off the client to take a sub-par lion.

+1

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Mich,

For as long as I can remember the Selous quotas were 5 per block(on average)and to the best of my knowledge most concession holders never fulfilled those quotas, if anything the conscientious outfitters asked for them to be reduced to keep the quality stable - same for buffalo (10 per block).
Fujo, we are saying the same thing........ conscientious outfitters in the Selous are the minority IMHO. The rest where shooting their full quota year in and year out. I have personally seen lion quota's of 8 lions and not just in the North of Tz. Keep shooting 5 male lions of varying age out of a population of 80 (including females) for 15 years and there is bound to be an impact.
I do know however that some unscrupulous outfitters, especially in your neck of the woods
increase their quotas of lion and leopard based on demand, thereby shooting the crap out their population of cats as well as other species of game (gerenuk & lesser kudu in particular); I think you know who they are Wink
So then we agree that hunting has had a negative impact on lions in some populations?
You are of course well aware that over the past 2/3 years, poaching in the Selous has escalated to abnormal proportions; main target being elephant (as usual) but I have noticed a SUDDEN decline in lion over the last 2 years and I am not talking of male populations but lions in general and when you run into them, are spooky as hell! - I wonder why?
I am well aware and not just the Selous unfortunately! However, that is more recent, as in the last 2-3 years, but what about 6-8 years ago? Was there a noticeable difference in trophy quality of lion coming out of the Selous in the mid 2000s vs the late 80s? While I have NOT seen all the trophy lions taken from the Selous over that period, I have to say that I have seen more youngsters, than "adults" which to me would indicate a possibility of hunting pressure - otherwise, why would hunters be shooting youngsters if there were "adults" around?
I most certainly DO NOT attribute their sudden decline to overshooting because the records will prove the assumption as incorrect.

I have also noticed the absence of several resident males that were being monitored and protected for their genetic qualities - I guess they must have wandered "next door" and got nailed (c'est la vie).
C'est la vie yes but that is an indication that hunting is having an impact, however small.
You mentioned the Kilwa blocks - these are outside the reserve (open areas), there is no shortage of villages and in recent years have been "discovered" and severely hammered by local residents.
It has also become common knowledge that the Kilwa area has today become one of the main entry/exit points to the Selous for obvious reasons, to one familiar with its topography.
Look at the records for lions legally 'harvested' in the Kilwa area - overshot?...absolutely - by poachers!
My point with Kilwa is that it is not habitat destruction but something else. My reading on lion's killed for "juju" is that it is a more recent phenomena, as in the last 6-8 years perhaps even less. You admit a noticeable increase in the last 2 or so years. But were lion pops in kilwa already declining? As in, were hunters already struggling to find male trophies 8 years ago?
It is quite easy to throw generic criticism
at the entire hunting industry when the activities of your organization are largely based on non-profit and likened to a "private hunting reserve", where lions have names Wink
You are mistaken here my friend. Very mistaken.
For the sake of interest to all, what are the official figures of lion taken in TZ over the last 5 years ?
I have these but not at hand and would take me a while to dig them up if necessary. Both the official and "unnoficial" stats... Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Has LL3 suffered habitat loss, poaching for juju to that extent?

Mich: I clean forgot to answer you on that one.

The SGR is not affected by habitat loss as you well know that no one is permitted to live in the Reserve let alone enter it without authorization.

I have also made it quite clear that poaching in the entire Selous has recently gone overboard.
And where exactly on the map is LL3 ? - right on the northern boundary which also happens to be one of the main entry points through LL3 and who borders the eastern boundary of LL3?
Did you know that over half the hippo population of L. Utunge has been decimated in just under 3 years? - By tourist hunters?

Enough said !
Hippo meat is highly sought after by meat poachers which would epxlain the issue as one of illegal poaching. Poachers for lion juju are a recent phenomena. So in the past, lion poaching was not a major problem in the Selous. So what else has attributed to the drop in mature male lions in the Selous hunting blocks? Or are you saying there is no visible drop in lions? If so, then I stand corrected.
Lastly, what has happened to LL3 ? ....some bright spark has just subdivided it into 3 pieces and the Lion conservationists have just sat and watched rotflmo
We all know how the quota gets allocated to sub-divided block don't we?
Kitwai A & B has been divided into A,B,C,D - and several others further north. Did the conservationists in general offer any sage contributions to these negative moves? - None
that I know of.
While I agree with you on the madness of the numerous sub-divisions, why would we want the conservationists to argue this case for us on their own? why haven't the hunting operators of the Selous (LL3) objected and appealed to this? Our blocks have been sub-divided but we have appealed for a review and have been heard. It is our right. I'm willing to bet a dime a dollar that the conservationists will start harping about this, but not here in Tz, but in the international public, which is far worse!

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
Also not realistic to compare 2 different hunts in two different countries that probably occurred at different times, etc, etc.

why?

Would you compare a hunt in Tz in July with a hunt in another country in September for eg? Would you compare a hunt in Maasailand with one in the Bangwelu swamps?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mich:

From our individual reasoning we both seem to agree in principle that hunting has had an impact (however small) on the lion population but which however is not reason enough (IMO) to lay the blame on the entire hunting industry, including me, you, him and them.

I will agree with you on the quota allocation as being too high and the likely cause of a decline on the quality - the game department is mainly responsible for that as it would be for the sub-division of blocks in order to generate more money without giving a thought to conservation of the species (all of them, not just lions).

The unscrupulous outfitters are easily identifiable and ought to be taken to task.
Too simple to just convince someone to impose a minimum 6yr+ age limit across the table when the rest of Africa is willing to adopt a serious approach to an acceptable limit of just under 5 yrs.
There won't be many lions taken in the future by the reputable outfitters because even they cannot judge the age of a lion with the pin point accuracy being demanded - the know-all scientists cannot ascertain a dead lion's age with 100% accuracy let alone a live one!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you compare a hunt in Tz in July with a hunt in another country in September for eg? Would you compare a hunt in Maasailand with one in the Bangwelu swamps?

Would I compare a baited/blind lion hunt in TZ in July with a baited/blind lion hunt in Zambia/Zimbabwe in September? Umm, yes. I am sure there are plenty of differences, but would the hunt for the lion not be very similar?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
That is, excluding the part where in TZ they seize your lion if it is under 6 (+or - a year if you're lucky), Oh yes, then the part where you have to spend a couple of hundred thousand dollars defending yourself against felony Lacey Act charges after you get home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
That is, excluding the part where in TZ they seize your lion if it is under 6 (+or - a year if you're lucky), Oh yes, then the part where you have to spend a couple of hundred thousand dollars defending yourself against felony Lacey Act charges after you get home.

You're killin me smalls, you're killin me! nilly

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
I agree with Saeed and Roscoe

It is unfortunate that well meaning individuals like Lane and Aaron have inadvertently done more damage to the future of hunting than anything else with their single minded attack on anyone not conforming to their ideals.

Aaron, I said this before and I will say it again. Until you stop being so aggressive in defense of your ideals you are doing far more damage than good.
People dont take you or Lane seriously anymore as you have become the zealots of the lion hunting world. Instead of becoming the Peta of lion hunting find a working solution for all men and lead by example rather than throwing stones from on high sitting in the saddle of that horse you seem to have been attached to.

Empathy is a concept you may wish to acquaint yourself with as it is the only route to the hearts and minds of those who's path you wish to alter.

Good luck to you in achieving your goals, but find another way to do it.

I'll throw another brand on the fire. For those of you in the business of selling hunts--you are certainly giving some of us reason to look elsewhere to spend our dollar if we are in the group that finds you fantical. For my part, I still stand that if it is legal game and you are properly licensed. Its between you and the PH what you shoot. It bothers me, that Saeed graciously gave you a form to go rant in and you continue to bring your squabbles here. At least if you play there, I don't have to waste time reading it.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:

It is unfortunate that well meaning individuals like Lane and Aaron have inadvertently done more damage to the future of hunting than anything else with their single minded attack on anyone not conforming to their ideals.

Aaron, I said this before and I will say it again. Until you stop being so aggressive in defense of your ideals you are doing far more damage than good.
People dont take you or Lane seriously anymore as you have become the zealots of the lion hunting world. Instead of becoming the Peta of lion hunting find a working solution for all men and lead by example rather than throwing stones from on high sitting in the saddle of that horse you seem to have been attached to.

Empathy is a concept you may wish to acquaint yourself with as it is the only route to the hearts and minds of those who's path you wish to alter.

I'll throw another brand on the fire. For those of you in the business of selling hunts--you are certainly giving some of us reason to look elsewhere to spend our dollar if we are in the group that finds you fantical. For my part, I still stand that if it is legal game and you are properly licensed. Its between you and the PH what you shoot. It bothers me, that Saeed graciously gave you a form to go rant in and you continue to bring your squabbles here. At least if you play there, I don't have to waste time reading it.

Buckeye - See the OP, we tried to take it elsewhere and it kept coming back here.

I respect the legal is Ok argument. I feel the exact same, except as it pertains to the lion, because of conservational scrutiny the lion is under worldwide! I'm certain that I've made that distinction at least 20 times over the past 9 months.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agree, I not sure some of these folks will ever get it...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:
quote:

Agreed, I'm not sure some will ever get it either?? Maybe when the lion is on the Endangered Species list, and CITES Appendix 1, it will sink in, but then again.....

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed, I'm not sure some will ever get it either?? Maybe when the lion is on the Endangered Species list, and CITES Appendix 1, it will sink in, but then again.....

I think we can all agree that the Lion is worth saving and protecting for future generations, etc...just like most any other animal. It's a bit troubling to see a good cause for not because the message is mixed...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wouldn't that be a blessing in disguise ?
It seems to have worked for other endangered species whose quotas are regulated by CITES so why not the lion.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're killin me smalls, you're killin me!

Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a bit troubling to see a good cause for not because the message is mixed...

bewildered

Our (Aaron's, Mine, LCTF) message has never been mixed. We simply asked people to look at the situation the African lion faces and stop shooting immature animals. We have stated that shooting immature animals does the species no good and it fuels the anti-lion-nunting campaign. To my knowledge...we have never deviated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Here's how I see it. If we accept the common goal that we want wild lions then we have some choices to make.

And regardless of how the lions ended up in this situation (and my personal opinion is that generally this has not been a tourist hunting issue except in localized cases)like sport hunters over the last 100 years we need to step up or accept that the end of hunting this species will happen in our lifetime.

Knowing that hunting is one of the primary drivers to conserving habitat we definantly want to keep it open.

So how do you determine how many lions can be harvested from an area, how do you formulate rules that work in the bush, and how do you deal with those that don't want to play by the rules set.

One scientists (Packer) suggests that you can hunt all the lions you want in a given area without impacting the lion density... so long as they are six or older. Sounds great until you start trying to age lions in the bush.

Others want to stick with a quota system. Have a ticket for a male lion then you can shoot any you come across. Well the scientist above agrees that works as well... but you will have far fewer lion hunts as a result because the quotas will have to be very small to achieve the same population density.

So what way do we go?
Shoot all the six year old lions that you can find with associated idea that your liklihood of success on a lion hunt will be lower on average.

Or book a lion hunt and have far higher likelihood of success with the possibility of having a fairly young one in your trophy room.

Both approaches are correct and both have there associated problems.

My vote is the 6 year rule. With penalties for letting a client shoot a 2nd underage male within 3 years where a PH loses his license to guide lion hunts for the following season or few seasons. I am confident that the good PH's will figure it out.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
My vote is the 6 year rule. With penalties for letting a client shoot a 2nd underage male within 3 years where a PH loses his license to guide lion hunts for the following season or few seasons. I am confident that the good PH's will figure it out.

John,

You (not us) will be figuring it out mate when you return home empty handed and I still have retained my license.

Cheers

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
That is exactly right.

So the 6 year rule would probably mean lion hunts have a significant lower probability of success. But at the same time allowing you to offer more hunts. This would imply that a typical hunt would be less expensive then the the other model. So the tradeoff for the client is lower probability of success but at a lower cost.

Also the PH shouldn't lose his license for other game during some sort of penalty phase. And the idea of "within 3 years" and not "lifetime" is to keep the experienced guys in the game.

I concede that it remains to be seen if this model works at the booking level. If clients don't tolerate the lower success levels and the lion devolves to being a "target of opportunity" for any old plains game hunt then I would argue that has failed and we need to find another plan.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
That is exactly right.

So the 6 year rule would probably mean lion hunts have a significant lower probably of success. But at the same time allowing you to offer more hunts. This would imply that a typical hunt would be less expensive then the the other model. So the tradeoff for the client is lower probability of success but at a lower cost.

Currently I offer a downgrade if I cannot put you on a single mature hairy Lion that I judge to be five years plus. I might be a year out but I will be happy with my call.

Cheers.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
sorry... had to add to my post. Don't think it materially changes your response.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Set quotas initially at 1 lion per 2000 km2 for all hunting blocks across the range states (minimum of 1 lion & maximum of 5 for all blocks). Then use the Niassa Points System so that quotas could rise or fall from that initial limit.

See http://www.accuratereloading.com/2009/nyasalr.pdf for Niassa guidelines.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
There are at least a handful of blocks under 2000 sq km in Tz that I am familiar with that if limited to 1 lion on quota would penalize the outfitter. So I owuld be against a cut and ry 1 lion/2000sq km

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Mich,

They would self adjust the next year. IE: Under Niassa rules...If you had a quota of 1 and you shot a 6 or > lion...the next year you would get 3 lion on quota.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
gotcha tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

John,

You (not us) will be figuring it out mate when you return home empty handed and I still have retained my license.

Cheers

Andrew

Spot on ! tu2