Notify
Tools

If you thought All Gone's...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
However, is it accurate enough to base the decision on seizure of a mans property, reputation or even more so, freedom?

Brad - This really is a good question! But, as Bwanamich has explained before, likely a level-headed policy is being used, at least in TZ. Science can accurately age a lion within 10-12 months of actual age. I believe Bwana said that lions landing in the 5-6 yr catagory, will likely be given clearance. The more obvious 3 -4 yr olds, will not!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Can someone please enlighten us how they age lions?

All I hear is that it is not a 100% certain.

quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Thank you Saeed and others that suggested a specific forum be started.

Ladies and gentlemen and fellow LCTF members and participants; In my role with TGTS and WWS, I have had the good fortune to put in practice most of what has been dicussed over recent weeks/months. I believe that the 10 or so years of experience gained through this process with these companies has given me and my colleagues a lot of insight, often through unfortunate trial and error, into the aging of wild lions.

Below are a few observations:
1- Trying to accurately (And by accurately I mean whitin 10 - 12 mths) age a wild lion from a trophy photo alone - or even from a regular photo of a live lion - is fairly innacurate. The same lion can be photographed several times by the same camera within a few minutes and the image results can be quite different. This in particular reference to trying to use body color and mane color as an age indicator from a photograph!
2- Therefore, if one is to try and age a lion from a set of trophy photos, of absolute necessity is to obtain photos showing;
- the entire body,
- close-up of the nose
- Close-up of the teeth
- Frontal picture showing the face and "crown"
- Any other obvious distinguishing features such as the spinal column, back leg markings, etc
In addition to the above, once the skull has been skinned and cleaned, and BEFORE BLEACHING, additional pictures should be taken of:
- close-up of all canine including showing the "canine ridge"
- close-up of incisors
- Close-up of molars from the top and inside looking out (upper and lower jaw can be separated to achieve this).
Below are a couple of examples of such photos;

canine ridge

The canine ridge wear I have always found to be a good indicator. Again, this indicator helps in putting the lion's age into age groups only! I have found that lions 5 and older will often have distinct wear on the ridge of the canine and practically 100% of the lions that i have estimated to be 6 or older have shown wear on this ridge and 100% of the lions I have aged under 5 have NOT shown wear on this ridge. Lions aged between 5 and 6 have shown ridge wear in approximately 40% of the times. Below and above are an example of the ridge wear I speak off.

and the lion it belongs to (Note the prominent spine indicative of an older lion!) :

vs a canine showing no or very little ridge wear:

A quick word on the prominent spine: I have noticed that this is only very distinct in cats that are a few years older than 6! If I see this indicator, 9 times out of 10 the other indicators will confirm the cat is well over 6!
3- Obtaining a tooth x-ray of the premolar is very simple and extremely useful in helping to confirm all the "visual" and physical signs of age from a set of photos.
4- In addition to set of photos and tooth x-ray, I place a huge importance on the physical examination of the cleaned skull. The wear on the teeth has shown us to be a hugely important criteria to age determination.
5- The combination of all this data was used over a period of 3-4 years to compare with photos of Known age lions from researcher's database to assist us all in learning what to look for in a 6 year old lion. What we immeadiately noticed, is that initially, we were mostly over estimating the age of lions by as much as 2-3 years! A perfect example is the below lion.

The Ph (and most all concurred) aged this lion at around 6 year old when it was taken (2005). Upon further examination of the teeth, x-ray and skull, the age estimation was set at between 4 - 5 years old! Below is the x-ray of this cat's pre-molar confirming this:

The bottom line, and I have said this before here on AR, learning to age wild lions prior to shooting them is a learning curve and will take a couple of years to streamline to a point where the taking of a sub 6 yo lion are an exception rather than the norm....BUT, mistakes will continue to occur.

One of the challenges that I have thrown to the scientific fraternity (WCS, C Packer, P Viljoen, et alia)is to strive to obtain as much tooth x-ray and tooth wear photographic data as possible from Known aged lions across the continent and allow this data to be freely shared! I even encouraged them to work with zoos around the world to obtain x-rays of their known aged lions! I firmly believe that the more one "studies" the entire set of data (photos, x-ray, skull examinations, tooth wear pictures and so on), the more they will be able to confidently age lions in the wild prior to being shot.

If we look at the below skull image of the lion recently taken in Zim, one can notice that there is very little wear on the canine, incisors and the molars (You have to zoom in). The "ridges" of the molars are very sharp and pointed, all incisors are intact and appear quite "white".

I would age this lion at around 4 from an overall assessment of the photos available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37750 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Can someone please enlighten us how they age lions?

All I hear is that it is not a 100% certain.

quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Lane - Elaborate on this a bit more will ya please!

Certainly.

All mammals as they age...narrow their pulp cavities with cementum (a medium hard component of tooth structure).

Some animals like white-tail deer and red fox to name a few...lay down layers annually making layer counting possible for age estimation.

Lions though don't conform. Probably due to a very eratic diet...they lay down cementum layers (Cementum Annuli) eratically making that method (at least as we know how to use it now) unreliable.

We do know that the lion pulp cavity gets remarkably and reliably narrow by 5-6 years of age...then narrows continually but by smaller increments through the end of life.

~4 year old lion 2nd upper premolar this is a known aged lion (photo courtesy of CP)

(borrowed from Bwanamich with captions added)

probable 6 year old harvested in Tanzania

So...x-rays relably can catagorize lions into less than 5, 5-7, and >7...they cannot tell exact age nor can counting cementum annuli.

With wear patterns and x-rays...good estimations can be made (certainly good enough to put the lion at 5 or >Wink but exact ages can ont be given.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37750 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Andrew,
Your above short statement says much. It would seem to me that the process of aging a dead lion is accurate enough for aid in management decisions. However, is it accurate enough to base the decision on seizure of a mans property, reputation or even more so, freedom?

No, you would probably require an 18 month margin for error. Even then you could expect miscalculations.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Andrew I agree with you totally
Mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Andrew,
Your above short statement says much. It would seem to me that the process of aging a dead lion is accurate enough for aid in management decisions. However, is it accurate enough to base the decision on seizure of a mans property, reputation or even more so, freedom?

No, you would probably require an 18 month margin for error. Even then you could expect miscalculations.

I think a 12 month margin of error would be acceptable. Secondly, a line/law has to be drawn somewhere.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
6 year olds and greater are relatively easy to tell from 4 year olds and younger on tooth x-rays. It is the 5-6 distinction which is a problem for a 6 year old rule. So...a 12 month margin of error would be fine. Or...a Niassa type system which would be my preference.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
quote:
Andrew,

I think a 12 month margin of error would be acceptable. Secondly, a line/law has to be drawn somewhere.

Confirmed 2.5 year old from the Kafue hidden in shadow and brush. On bait he leaves long mane hair and leaves big spoor. In the twilight hours he comes in fast and head on, he is aggressive and looses all the hallmarks of his youth = mistake

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Or maybe the above has teemed up with this 5-6 year old and there is a case of mistaken identity = mistake.

Point is whilst in an ideal world it is desirable to be able to monitor the Lion mistakes will be made and ageing in the field can be problematic?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, there is no perfect answer or perfect aging process!

If you're not sure, don't shoot! Yes, mistakes do happen, to all of us. If your PH makes a mistake, he needs to be responsible for it.

If not acceptable, you can lobby for the status quo, that's your right too. The Niassa style program does help eliminate some of those concerns.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Great post Andrew.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, mistakes do happen, to all of us. If your PH makes a mistake, he needs to be responsible for it.

This is the problem with writing laws in reference to aging. You make a mistake, you are a criminal.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
From tooth analysis this Lion did not make five?

And the teeth aged this at not more than four?

I would get shat on from a dizzy height if I tried to turn these Lion down with my high dollar paying client.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is that lions, like people, do all age the same way. Some age more gracefully than others. Trying judge a live wild lion that precisely in this manner is a recipe for disaster.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Did Paula age those lions with x-rays of the second upper premolar (first upper cheek tooth)?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yes, mistakes do happen, to all of us. If your PH makes a mistake, he needs to be responsible for it.

This is the problem with writing laws in reference to aging. You make a mistake, you are a criminal.

Brad,

Niassa System!

That is what we (LCTF) are advising. We made effort in TZ...but it was too late the 6 year old rule was the law of the land there.

The Niassa point system will allivate the criminal problem.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Andrew,

Did Paula age those lions with x-rays of the second upper premolar (first upper cheek tooth)?

Hi Lane,

First Lion picture is taken from your thread above.

Second Lion was aged from second premolar. The small tooth behind the incisor.

Is the Niassa system hoped to be introduced to Zambia?

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I think the problem is that lions, like people, do all age the same way. Some age more gracefully than others. Trying judge a live wild lion that precisely in this manner is a recipe for disaster.

Come on! All you need to do is tell them to say "aah" so you can x-ray their teeth before you shoot. Roll Eyes That way you can avoid being the subject of ridicule.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
First Lion picture is taken from your thread above.

Yep...I see that now. I knew I had seen that lion before. homer That was a TGTS lion that was 4+. But Bwanamich will tell you he is definitely an exception. But a good reason for the Niassa system.

I think if Zambia passes rules...it is likely to be a Niassa type system.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Brad - Just as Lane's states, the Niassa System!!

Also, like I said about the TZ system. Likely, a margin of error will be allowed for.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In the field I really would prefer not to get that close to the teeth of a male lion to age it. What this highlights to me is that aging lions in the field is as much art as it is science. Add to this dim light, nerves, the desire to be successful, etc. and it is clear that even with the best intentions younger lions are going to get shot from time to time. Then to judge a lion in hindsight with the advantage of a still photograph, while sitting in your study and without any pressure, again it just highlights to me the unfairness of passing judgment on individual situations as opposed to addressing the issue in a more generic or general manner.

Mike

Posts: 21669 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Mike J,
Much of what you say is true. That is why a Niassa type system is the way to go. Even Craig Packer endorses it as the gold standard. This system is posted in the Lion Conservation Forum for all to review if you are unfamiliar.

If you look at the lions Aaron and I criticized on a retrospective basis...there was NO question on those...esp Wrldhunter's...viewed twice, shot in daytime, no rush, cut-and-dry elder cub.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you all think is going to happen in 2013 when many of the prime areas in TZ are turned over to less conservation minded people than run the areas now? I will bet I have a pretty good idea. I am willing to bet the lions get hammered, 6 year old rule or not.

While I agree with not shooting the young lions, this 6 year rule has the possibility,,if not probability, to really hamper the ability to sell hunts. One very well know old time company is 1 for 17 on lions this year. How many people will be willing to pay what TZ costs with those kind of success rates? I am willing to bet the answer is not many.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many people will be willing to pay what TZ costs with those kind of success rates? I am willing to bet the answer is not many.

Bwanamich?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Likely,

Aaron

The fact still remains. You are championing a cause that you have admitted you have no idea how it will work. While you think you have an idea the use of the word likely every time we get to the crux of the matter says a lot about where you stand in the food chain.

Would you be willing to go to Jail, Loose your reputation, Your family and your friends all because you made a mistake and shot a lion that had been snacking on back to back buffalo its whole life and looked like a 6 year old when he was just a massive 3 year old.
The science you are embracing has its place, but that place is not in deciding peoples fate, it is in developing a better way to asses lion populations. It is a way to determine quotas. It is a way to try and ensure you are doing the right thing and taking off the right males. But it is not a valid enough reason to punish your countrymen for non compliance.

If this turns into a stick with which some poor sod gets hit and looses everything, will you be happy with the outcome. You do realise that the "But Craig Packer said" defense will get you nowhere.

You are advocating and supporting a system that has real life ruining consequences for your average joe yet you cannot quantify or justify what exactly you are proposing as a measure to implement these rules.

You are supporting a system aimed at penalising hunters as a means of control rather than analising populations to achieve the same goal.

We all support the end goal here so stop harping on with the "I cant believe it speech".
What all of us are not happy with is that you are calling yourself an expert and wearing the shoes of "The lion hunters representative" yet are not listening to valid concerns raised by many of the lion hunters.
You are going along with a plan of action yet cannot quantify the details of that plan when asked about them.
You are supporting a man who blatantly skews figures to suit his outcomes and has been accused by many of being anti hunting.
You have taken a defensive approach to anyone and anything that challenges the paradigm that you have adopted and end up completely blind to the flaws because you are emotionally attached to the subject.
A representative of any group needs to remain neutral and evaluate the pros and cons and present these facts without prejudice.
Because you believe this course of action to be suitable, does not give you the right to further this agenda on behalf of all lion hunters current or potential.

Now Aaron, we all appreciate the effort you have gone to. But it would appear that a great number of people have serious real life concerns with the direction this has taken.
Lions are very important to us all, but not more important that some poor sods life and future. 90% of hunters coming to Africa don't know the difference between an impala and a bushbuck, let alone a 3 and 6 year old lion.
To rest their future on "likely" is not fair to anyone.

You need a new plan. One that embraces research and population management. One that selects suitable males and builds in a margin for error that the outfitter and PH can deal with. Not one that simply punishes the paying client.

quote:
"likely a level-headed policy is being used"

This is just plain dangerous and supporting anything where this is your level of involvement and understanding is irresponsible

Good luck to you Aaron, your goals are admirable. But I really do hope you find a better way of doing it as what you propose will kill Lion hunting.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Andrew I agree with you totally
Mart

If you look at the above pictures Martin then I was two years out.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is what we (LCTF) are advising. We made effort in TZ...but it was too late the 6 year old rule was the law of the land there.

And who would be responsible for that decision?

If it is of any consolation to whoever contributed to the passing of the 6 yr law there won't be many legal kills in the future but more illegal ones and the numbers will be even higher with every passing year.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

If it is of any consolation to whoever contributed to the passing of the 6 yr law there won't be many legal kills in the future but more illegal ones and the numbers will be even higher with every passing year.

Well? Who was responsible for that decision?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Let us see now.

The methods we have now can tell us the age of a lion within 10-12 months - IF IT'S TEETH ARE CHECKED!

How much leeway are we going to have in teh field?

A mention was made that lions that are 5-6 are going to be passed as legal.

Now, who is going to stop some PHs passing 4-5 year old's as being legal, because they might get through!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68633 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
How many people will be willing to pay what TZ costs with those kind of success rates? I am willing to bet the answer is not many.

Bwanamich?

Yes Brad? Are you asking for my opinion?

Regularly, I read here about how expensive Tz is when it comes to hunting lions! Really? What does a lion hunt cost in Zim? Zambia? Moz?

Like in every country, there are varying prices being charged for hunts and Tz is no different here. I have seen lion hunts advertized anywhere between $35k - $100k in Tz with the vast majority being in the $50k region, and that is for a FULL BAG HUNT! So if you break it down and compare apples to apples, I don't see Tz being prohibitively epxensive compared to other competing destinations.

Besides should hunting a wild African lion be a $20k - $30k safari? Look at what the cost of hunting a rhino fetches. In a few years, lion hunting will go the same way, for the same reasons. And we will only have ourselves to blame really.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you all think is going to happen in 2013 when many of the prime areas in TZ are turned over to less conservation minded people than run the areas now? I will bet I have a pretty good idea. I am willing to bet the lions get hammered, 6 year old rule or not.

tu2 +1 Larry
It would also appear that one such prime area considered "la creme de la creme" for Lion has suffered a fateful twist and it remains to be seen what the final outcome will be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich:

I can only speak from personal experience. I spent something like $95,000 (all in) in TZ for a highly UNSUCCESSFUL 21 day hunt in TZ where the priority was lion. I never even saw a lion. This was with the same company that was 1 for 17 in 2011.

I went to Zimbabwe 3 years later with Zambezi Hunters. I spent about $55,000 all in. I got a magnificent lion, 3 buffalo, a 60 inch kudu and a ton of plains game. The lion was aged using the teeth at 7 years old. ZH is 100% on what few lions they take annually.

So, you tell me. Should I pay almost double to hunt with someone that was 1 for 17 or should I save $40,000 and go with someone that is and has been 100% successful?

I can do that math. Believe me, booking agents are discussing this very issue already.

And by the way, when was the last time Zim closed lion hunting in the middle of the season? When was the last time Zim made massive changes to the fee structure mid-season?

Yup, I can see compelling reasons to never go to TZ again. I have mellowed over time about this. I may well go again. However it won't be until after 2013.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
quote:
Likely,

Aaron

The fact still remains. You are championing a cause that you have admitted you have no idea how it will work. While you think you have an idea the use of the word likely every time we get to the crux of the matter says a lot about where you stand in the food chain.

Would you be willing to go to Jail, Loose your reputation, Your family and your friends all because you made a mistake and shot a lion that had been snacking on back to back buffalo its whole life and looked like a 6 year old when he was just a massive 3 year old.
The science you are embracing has its place, but that place is not in deciding peoples fate, it is in developing a better way to asses lion populations. It is a way to determine quotas. It is a way to try and ensure you are doing the right thing and taking off the right males. But it is not a valid enough reason to punish your countrymen for non compliance.

If this turns into a stick with which some poor sod gets hit and looses everything, will you be happy with the outcome. You do realise that the "But Craig Packer said" defense will get you nowhere.

You are advocating and supporting a system that has real life ruining consequences for your average joe yet you cannot quantify or justify what exactly you are proposing as a measure to implement these rules.

You are supporting a system aimed at penalising hunters as a means of control rather than analising populations to achieve the same goal.

We all support the end goal here so stop harping on with the "I cant believe it speech".
What all of us are not happy with is that you are calling yourself an expert and wearing the shoes of "The lion hunters representative" yet are not listening to valid concerns raised by many of the lion hunters.
You are going along with a plan of action yet cannot quantify the details of that plan when asked about them.
You are supporting a man who blatantly skews figures to suit his outcomes and has been accused by many of being anti hunting.
You have taken a defensive approach to anyone and anything that challenges the paradigm that you have adopted and end up completely blind to the flaws because you are emotionally attached to the subject.
A representative of any group needs to remain neutral and evaluate the pros and cons and present these facts without prejudice.
Because you believe this course of action to be suitable, does not give you the right to further this agenda on behalf of all lion hunters current or potential.

Now Aaron, we all appreciate the effort you have gone to. But it would appear that a great number of people have serious real life concerns with the direction this has taken.
Lions are very important to us all, but not more important that some poor sods life and future. 90% of hunters coming to Africa don't know the difference between an impala and a bushbuck, let alone a 3 and 6 year old lion.
To rest their future on "likely" is not fair to anyone.

You need a new plan. One that embraces research and population management. One that selects suitable males and builds in a margin for error that the outfitter and PH can deal with. Not one that simply punishes the paying client.

quote:
"likely a level-headed policy is being used"

This is just plain dangerous and supporting anything where this is your level of involvement and understanding is irresponsible

Good luck to you Aaron, your goals are admirable. But I really do hope you find a better way of doing it as what you propose will kill Lion hunting.

AHQ,

Have you read the the Niassa Reaserve lion hunting regulations?

Have you read the lengthy discussion Aaron, I, Bwanamich, and others had with all the leading lion researchers on wikispaces advocating a Niassa type point system as opposed to a hard-and-fast six year old rule?

Have you read the numerous post on this forum by Aaron and I saying the Niassa System would be a more logical route?

Have you read the numerous times that Aaron and I have said on this forum and other places that a Niassa system would be MUCH PREFERRED to a hard-and-fast 6 year old rule?

If not...maybe you should do more reading.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Tanzania government.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From tooth analysis this Lion did not make five?

And the teeth aged this at not more than four?

I would get shat on from a dizzy height if I tried to turn these Lion down with my high dollar paying client.

+1

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Tanzania government.

Hehe....and who put them up to it seeing as on their own are incapable of organizing a piss-up in a brewery? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone on this forum with a fetish for lion (whose name escapes me for the moment) has banged well over 10 - 15 lion in his hunting career.

I wonder if they all passed the solitary male, non pride holder, 6yr+ etc. etc. test? Cool

I say fetish because IMO when a hunter has shot several he should have by cat n.3 obtained that lion trophy of a lifetime - big difference between fetish for lion and fetish for buffalo so let's not drag Saeed into the fray.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.G stir

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwanamich:

I can only speak from personal experience. I spent something like $95,000 (all in) in TZ for a highly UNSUCCESSFUL 21 day hunt in TZ where the priority was lion. I never even saw a lion. This was with the same company that was 1 for 17 in 2011.

I went to Zimbabwe 3 years later with Zambezi Hunters. I spent about $55,000 all in. I got a magnificent lion, 3 buffalo, a 60 inch kudu and a ton of plains game. The lion was aged using the teeth at 7 years old. ZH is 100% on what few lions they take annually.

So, you tell me. Should I pay almost double to hunt with someone that was 1 for 17 or should I save $40,000 and go with someone that is and has been 100% successful?

I can do that math. Believe me, booking agents are discussing this very issue already.

And by the way, when was the last time Zim closed lion hunting in the middle of the season? When was the last time Zim made massive changes to the fee structure mid-season?

Yup, I can see compelling reasons to never go to TZ again. I have mellowed over time about this. I may well go again. However it won't be until after 2013.

Larry,

I am not sure what your point is? Paying more for a safari does not necessarily equate with higher hunting success. Also not realistic to compare 2 different hunts in two different countries that probably occurred at different times, etc, etc. And as I already stated, there are numerous companies in Tz offering a full bag hunt for $55k.

Besides, competition is good as it keeps prices at market value Wink

Your statement that Tz "shut down" lion hunting mid-season is slightly mis-leading! It occurred in the first week of the season (5th of July IIRC)and the notice was reversed less than 24 hrs later. I garantee you that if any lion was shot during that period, it was not considered illegal nor was it confiscated. I would dare say that more than 80% of clients on safari at the time never even noticed! Hardly a "shut-down" scenario I would argue.

The fee increase debacle was a fiasco and the industry is still realing from that saga but if you think for one moment that that could never happen in any of the other African countries you mention, your are naive.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Tanzania government.

Another country that has not embraced the Niassa system. Just to confirm Lane which African country has?

Word is here we will increase our quotas next year. We are ten years into our concession agreements and we have had a resident researcher but today still no policy on Lion.

Awareness is great and this is what you chaps have promoted. Your cause is valiant and I/we can help you where I/we can, but the implementation?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal