Notify
Tools

If you thought All Gone's...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Someone on this forum with a fetish for lion (whose name escapes me for the moment) has banged well over 10 - 15 lion in his hunting career.

I wonder if they all passed the solitary male, non pride holder, 6yr+ etc. etc. test? Cool

I say fetish because IMO when a hunter has shot several he should have by cat n.3 obtained that lion trophy of a lifetime - big difference between fetish for lion and fetish for buffalo so let's not drag Saeed into the fray.

Fujo - If you want to ask me a question, just come right out and say it! I've addressed this question before. No, not every lion I have shot would meet the criteria I now believe in. I shot my first lion over 16 yrs ago, long before anyone, including the scientific community even thought about such things as it pertains to lions/lion hunting, etc.

I can tell you this, the first lion I shot 16 yrs ago, is probably a 4 yr old. I'm gonna try to scan a picture of it, if I can? It was so long ago, I don't have any pics on a disc, or computer, only the actual 4" x 6" photos. I was told to shoot it by the PH, and I did. What the heck did I know, it was my first trip to Africa? Since then, I feel pretty confident in saying every lion I have taken is 5 yrs old or better, and I have never shot a male lion in the presence of a pride, or one I thought/knew was a pride male. Prior to the past few years, the fact that I never shot a lion amongst a pride, was simply happen-stance, never saw or knew of others besides the male, to be honest. However, I did pass a very nice lion in Botswana (2007) as he was definitely a pride male, we even saw the little cubs too! He was a great lion, but the PH and I both knew it was against the law, and against what's right, so we let him walk! Times have changed alot since my first safari, especially just in the past 3-5 yrs.

I've taken some great Lions, hunting them is my passion in life and I will continue to do it. But if/when I do, I'll do my best to abide by what I consider to be proper lion management practices. I too have been on a few lion hunts that were unsuccessful, one of them was to TZ where I did pass on 2 lions that were 3-4 yr olds. Got em great on film, and shooting them would have been easy. My last unsuccessful lion hunt was to Zambia, in 2007. I passed numerous male lions that we knew were not old/mature lions, and I went home without one. That's just lion hunting!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
quote:
Likely,

Aaron

The fact still remains. You are championing a cause that you have admitted you have no idea how it will work. While you think you have an idea the use of the word likely every time we get to the crux of the matter says a lot about where you stand in the food chain.

Would you be willing to go to Jail, Loose your reputation, Your family and your friends all because you made a mistake and shot a lion that had been snacking on back to back buffalo its whole life and looked like a 6 year old when he was just a massive 3 year old.
The science you are embracing has its place, but that place is not in deciding peoples fate, it is in developing a better way to asses lion populations. It is a way to determine quotas. It is a way to try and ensure you are doing the right thing and taking off the right males. But it is not a valid enough reason to punish your countrymen for non compliance.

If this turns into a stick with which some poor sod gets hit and looses everything, will you be happy with the outcome. You do realise that the "But Craig Packer said" defense will get you nowhere.

You are advocating and supporting a system that has real life ruining consequences for your average joe yet you cannot quantify or justify what exactly you are proposing as a measure to implement these rules.

You are supporting a system aimed at penalising hunters as a means of control rather than analising populations to achieve the same goal.

We all support the end goal here so stop harping on with the "I cant believe it speech".
What all of us are not happy with is that you are calling yourself an expert and wearing the shoes of "The lion hunters representative" yet are not listening to valid concerns raised by many of the lion hunters.
You are going along with a plan of action yet cannot quantify the details of that plan when asked about them.
You are supporting a man who blatantly skews figures to suit his outcomes and has been accused by many of being anti hunting.
You have taken a defensive approach to anyone and anything that challenges the paradigm that you have adopted and end up completely blind to the flaws because you are emotionally attached to the subject.
A representative of any group needs to remain neutral and evaluate the pros and cons and present these facts without prejudice.
Because you believe this course of action to be suitable, does not give you the right to further this agenda on behalf of all lion hunters current or potential.

Now Aaron, we all appreciate the effort you have gone to. But it would appear that a great number of people have serious real life concerns with the direction this has taken.
Lions are very important to us all, but not more important that some poor sods life and future. 90% of hunters coming to Africa don't know the difference between an impala and a bushbuck, let alone a 3 and 6 year old lion.
To rest their future on "likely" is not fair to anyone.

You need a new plan. One that embraces research and population management. One that selects suitable males and builds in a margin for error that the outfitter and PH can deal with. Not one that simply punishes the paying client.

quote:
"likely a level-headed policy is being used"

This is just plain dangerous and supporting anything where this is your level of involvement and understanding is irresponsible

Good luck to you Aaron, your goals are admirable. But I really do hope you find a better way of doing it as what you propose will kill Lion hunting.

AHQ - My friend, you really should go back over the past 18 - 24 months and learn about what I advocate for, as Lane has just tried to suggest to you. I/we advocate for the Niassa style points system, NOT the Tanzania Law which makes only 6 yrs or better, legal! In fact, had you been here on AR long enough to know. You would see exactly how much I have been, and still am, against the hard/fast 6 yr old or nothing law. I am against it, for the very reasons you are too! Fact is, it has now become law in TZ, and we/they must conform. I am saying "likely", because that's what I have been told, and I hope its true!! I would hate to see the same law implemented in other countries, I would prefer to see the Niassa system instead. No one can or should be held responsible for a lion's exact age, when science can only get it right within 10-12 months of actual age.

My points lately about, "don't shoot if you're not sure, you're PH needs to control the situation", etc, etc, are because its NOW the LAW in TZ, not because I whole-heartedly agree with the law. So, let me make this clear to you. Something I have said on the forum numerous times in the past. I am AGAINST the hard/fast 6 yr old or nothing law! Its a recipe for a disaster, no doubt!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
I was told to shoot it by the PH, and I did. What the heck did I know, it was my first trip to Africa?

"Shooting YOUNG LIONS - A total DISGRACE!!" Roll Eyes

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
I was told to shoot it by the PH, and I did. What the heck did I know, it was my first trip to Africa?

"Shooting YOUNG LIONS - A total DISGRACE!!" Roll Eyes

"I shot my first lion over 16 yrs ago, long before anyone, including the scientific community even thought about such things as it pertains to lions/lion hunting, etc."

Tony, you can take all of my words you want - out of context, if you wish? Most semi-intelligent people can READ!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think a point often overlooked in this conversation is that it is much easier to become judgmental and selective after having taken a number of a particular species. We see this in all aspects of hunting and other aspects of life for that matter too. It is much easier for Warren Buffet to talk about a willingness to pay higher taxes than it is for the couple just starting out and trying to raise a family. Very easy for the Hollywood star to take on the latest greatest social issue and talk about how none of the rest of us are doing enough to address the issue while they are sitting on millions in the bank and working three months a year. The deer hunter that has taken many trophy bucks is content to sit and watch most days, whereas the hunter in his first year on the lease is far more likely to pull the trigger having never been there and done that and wanting to live the experience. My point is simply that I do not believe that it is fair or appropriate to sit in judgment of the hunter that is on his first and what may well be his last male lion hunt and then tell him he should have taken a pass on a marginal lion even though that lion is legal game. It is particularly inappropriate for those that have had the good fortune to take many of the species to pass that judgment since candidly they are in a position and station in life where they can have the luxury of being selective, others may not enjoy that luxury. If I had shot three lions and was hunting my fourth, I suspect I would be selective and less anxious. On the other hand, if I am on my first, and probably last, lion hunt and the days of the hunt are winding down and I have an opportunity to take a nice lion that may be young but is nevertheless legal, I am quite confident that I will not feel morally conflicted when I put the hammer down.

And so there is no confusion, I applaud the efforts of Lane and Aaron to address this issue and raise the level of consciousness on the concern. I am just trying to be a realist in terms of what our expectations are of people.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I think a point often overlooked in this conversation is that it is much easier to become judgmental and selective after having taken a number of a particular species. We see this in all aspects of hunting and other aspects of life for that matter too. It is much easier for Warren Buffet to talk about a willingness to pay higher taxes than it is for the couple just starting out and trying to raise a family. Very easy for the Hollywood star to take on the latest greatest social issue and talk about how none of the rest of us are doing enough to address the issue while they are sitting on millions in the bank and working three months a year. The deer hunter that has taken many trophy bucks is content to sit and watch most days, whereas the hunter in his first year on the lease is far more likely to pull the trigger having never been there and done that and wanting to live the experience. My point is simply that I do not believe that it is fair or appropriate to sit in judgment of the hunter that is on his first and what may well be his last male lion hunt and then tell him he should have taken a pass on a marginal lion even though that lion is legal game. It is particularly inappropriate for those that have had the good fortune to take many of the species to pass that judgment since candidly they are in a position and station in life where they can have the luxury of being selective, others may not enjoy that luxury. If I had shot three lions and was hunting my fourth, I suspect I would be selective and less anxious. On the other hand, if I am on my first, and probably last, lion hunt and the days of the hunt are winding down and I have an opportunity to take a nice lion that may be young but is nevertheless legal, I am quite confident that I will not feel morally conflicted when I put the hammer down.

Mike - Comparing deer to lions, is comparing apples to oranges! Deer are not in any sort of jeopardy, period. No concern regarding their numbers, no concern regarding their longevity if braking up a coalition of young males, no chance they are gonna be listed as Endangered Species, or uplisted on CITES anytime soon, I've never seen DEER-AID on Facebook, etc, etc, etc. I could not care less if you and half of Texas shoot spikes for the rest of your life. If that's what you want, then I'll support you and everyone else who does it, 100%.

The lion on the other-hand, a totally different story. To me, and my way of thinking, I believe a true hunter/conservationist, when thinking about the totality of the circumstances (All Lion related Issues), and if lion hunting, should be willing to consider the situation as a whole, rather than the selfish need to get one! Certainly the PH should, but that's all just my opinion, nothing more.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Another thing to remember...that lion Aaron called a disgrace was a two (remote chance a 3) year old lion. He said his first lion was a four year old. That right there is a big difference. There have been many 4-5's posted that we have said nothing about as they were borderline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Another country that has not embraced the Niassa system. Just to confirm Lane which African country has?

Mozambique Cool

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If Tanzania had it to do over again...I am sure they would opt for a Niassa type system.

To my knowledge...no other countries besides TZ and MZ have implemented any type of lion regulations.

The Niassa system is working. And even Craig Packer considers it the Gold Standard.

If we (LCTF) had our way...we would make it universal to all the range states.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Tz CAN do it over, any time they damn well please. sure wouldn't be the first time they changed direction. will they?? don't hold your breath.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Tz CAN do it over, any time they damn well please. sure wouldn't be the first time they changed direction. will they?? don't hold your breath.

Not so easy now...must repeal the law.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i don't recall them repealing any law the last time they changed the rules in the middle of the game.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The 6 year old rule is a TZ law.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

And so there is no confusion, I applaud the efforts of Lane and Aaron to address this issue and raise the level of consciousness on the concern. I am just trying to be a realist in terms of what our expectations are of people.

Mike

Flawless logic Mike, I totally agree. Someone who has a lion or two under his/her belt has a clarity of purpose and stronger resolve (ie, shoot an older trophy lion) that a first-timer who has a large investment in the hunt itself may not have (ie, I have $40K invested in a hunt and a legal lion appeared on bait with two days remaining on my hunt). Legal yes. Ethical, in my opinion yes. The best thing for lion conservation, maybe not.

You could fault some operators who charge exorbitant daily rates and large number of minimum days to HUNT lions for the pressure to "kill" a lion. I agree with some like Martin Pieters who put the larger dollar amount on the trophy fee for lion. I would have to have a pretty damn nice lion in my crosshairs to squeeze the trigger and cough up $20K!!!

Thoughts on higher trophy fees vs. daily rates creating some of the pressures to shoot younger legal lions?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

Mike

Flawless logic Mike, I totally agree. Someone who has a lion or two under his/her belt has a clarity of purpose and stronger resolve (ie, shoot an older trophy lion) that a first-timer who has a large investment in the hunt itself may not have (ie, I have $40K invested in a hunt and a legal lion appeared on bait with two days remaining on my hunt). Legal yes. Ethical, in my opinion yes. The best thing for lion conservation, maybe not.

You could fault some operators who charge exorbitant daily rates and large number of minimum days to HUNT lions for the pressure to "kill" a lion. I agree with some like Martin Pieters who put the larger dollar amount on the trophy fee for lion. I would have to have a pretty damn nice lion in my crosshairs to squeeze the trigger and cough up $20K!!!

Thoughts on higher trophy fees vs. daily rates creating some of the pressures to shoot younger legal lions?

Bwana - Not trying to make it personal, just commenting on your post.

1. Your first paragraph, the last sentence in particular, says it all! I'm really not sure what else to say, to be honest? I for one am concerned about Lion Conservation, obviously some others are not as concerned. Certainly their right. But, what makes my $40,000.00 investment any less valuable than the next guy's? What makes the $110,000.00 I've spent on 3 unsuccessful lion hunts (1 in Tanzania, 2 in Zambia) any less valuable than someone else?

2. Yep, you could fault some operators for the "pressure" to kill a lion. Just as easily, you could fault some hunters for the "need" to get one. I too like some of the different price structure considerations, certainly not a bad way to go.

3. I realize some are referring to me when stating that its easy for me to say, since I've shot a bunch of em already, and maybe my opinion would be different if it were my first one, etc. But frankly, that has nothing to do with it for me. This past April some of you may remember, I went to the CAR on a 21-day safari. My two most desired trophies were the LDE & Bongo. I got the LDE, but no Bongo. Not because I didn't see a Bongo (31 to be exact) and not because I could not have shot an immature male (roughly 24" - 25" young bull) could have easily killed him, but because I was insistent with my PH that we harvest only mature animals, and he was too! Anyone who knows me personally, knows I am NOT hung up on trophy hunting, but rather on hunting one that's worthy in my opinion of being shot. My LDE was only 44", but according to Erik, he was 11-12 yrs old, he's very worn down, and Erik thought he had only 1-2 yrs left. Now certainly the Bongo is not facing the same scrutiny as the lion, but I personally prefer to allow the animal to reach full maturity, JMO. My position on this has grown even stronger over the past few years for sure, but I realize it does not/should not apply to everyone. I did however spend ALOT of MONEY on this 3-week safari to the CAR, and I sure hated to leave without my Bongo. But, I wasn't going to compromise my conservational opinion, just so I would "get one", and have some Bongo pictures to show, and a Bongo to mount for my trophy room (which I don't have anyway). The PH who guided me, insisted from the get-go, we would only shoot mature animals and if I had a problem with that, lets discuss it right then. Needless to say, we got along beautifully!

I've said it at least 50 times, I only take the "conservation first, killing one second" stance with the lion, because of the current issues facing the lion, and not for any other reason. Those that are willing to put "getting one" ahead of the conservation of the lion, I suggest you do it soon.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We can agree to disagree on certain points but no one can argue that you have a done a good job of raising the level of consciousness with respect to the issue. And we all understand the timeliness of the issue.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can agree to disagree on certain points but no one can argue that you have a done a good job of raising the level of consciousness with respect to the issue. And we all understand the timeliness of the issue.

Regardless of our difference of opinion, you're a class act Mike! tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am AGAINST the hard/fast 6 yr old or nothing law! Its a recipe for a disaster, no doubt!!

We are therefore in agreement that the future for the TZ lion looks bleaker than before; that by having convinced the authorities to apply the 6 yr rule and making it Law all those who lobbied for the rule were at the time too intent on seeing it being passed without really considering the implications that would arise once the rule was confirmed.
Lane has indirectly agreed as well that this move ia a balls up, reconfirming that the Niassa System, which even Craig Packer considers as "Gold Standard" the more appropriate way to approach lion conservation - yet he (Packer)was one of the main contributors to the 6 yr rule for TZ Confused
Can any of you confirm, with statistics in hand, that the legal hunters were responsible for the alleged decline of the lion population in Tanzania ?
And no I am not suggesting that any legal hunter should should shoot an immature animal- just bitching about TZ having being made the scapegoat in this situation!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]I am AGAINST the hard/fast 6 yr old or nothing law! Its a recipe for a disaster, no doubt!!

Can any of you confirm, with statistics in hand, that the legal hunters were responsible for the alleged decline of the lion population in Tanzania ?
QUOTE]

There's NO WAY Packer or any of them could ever confirm that, cause it ain't true!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i think one thing is certain. there will be fewer lions shot in Tz- and less money spent by hunters hunting lion. draw your own conclusions from that as to the long term effects-i.e. money available for ALL game conservation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am AGAINST the hard/fast 6 yr old or nothing law! Its a recipe for a disaster, no doubt!!

Aaron, glad to hear you say that. I knew there must be something in there that we could agree on.

I still think that you guys need to be taking a different approach with Dr Packer and if anything bringing in a competitor scientist to re-evaluate the current data that has been gathered. If Dr Packer is confident of his work then he should have no problem with that.

I along with many others are very uncomfortable with backing a single horse that was conveniently picked by USFW.

Anyway, good luck with your efforts. But please take heed of what some of the guys here are saying, they speak from a perspective of vast experience and on the ground knowledge. They also speak with knowledge of the localized implementation of any laws and in many cases have valid concerns.

One more thing, how are you going about putting researchers on the ground. When it comes down to it the antis have research and we dont. Regardless of whether or not theirs if false and skewed. We need to have a stick to join in this fight. I know I have harped on about this but many have agreed with me on this point. In order to make a stance and be taken for more than just a bunch of guys protecting their right to kill, you need to show your intent with the conservation research you are paying for.

HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron

Just a thought here. It may be worth your while to contact Dr Peter Kriel. Ex national parks and with an interest in lion conservation and hunting. When we spoke a few years ago he was investigating the feasibility and ramifications of SA lion laws.

He is held in high regard within African conservation circles and is still active in the Safari business.

You can contact him via email kalahari@fmsafaris.co.za

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Mjines and bwana are well spoken and thoughtful and I appreciate Aaron and Lane with different perspective and still mannerly. Nice change from some of the name calling and vitriol we see here sometime.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i don't recall them repealing any law the last time they changed the rules in the middle of the game.

There was no need..... the law allows the Minister to review and ammend fees. I don't think that discretion is excessive it's the "how its done" that matters.

A review of the law will happen sooner than we all think. There are those Wink that are working towards this already due to the many constitutional flaws in the existing Act.

The 6 year rule is one of the sections that will be re-looked at probably before. The current law allows the Minister to make "regulations" to this effect. The issue is that Gov cannot admit they were wrong and lose face Cool Sounds familiar?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best thing for lion conservation, maybe not.

How can there still be doubt about this one?

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe canned/ranch lion hunts at $20k a pop should be for the "once in a lifetime safari". Afterall, it matters not what age they are when they are shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fujo, no statistics......... but how would you explain the real, obvious decline in mature lions in many hunting areas? Even those that have not suffered traditionally from habitat encroachment?

You've hunted with Luke for donkey years.... are you seeing the same quantities of full maned lions as 15-20 years ago? if not, why do you think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i think one thing is certain. there will be fewer lions shot in Tz- and less money spent by hunters hunting lion. draw your own conclusions from that as to the long term effects-i.e. money available for ALL game conservation.

I agree that is a real possibility....... but it is still early days. 2011 was NOT a bad season at all for us, probably slightly better than 2010 once all is counted........ and the interest in future hunts is still very much alive.

By every one's predictions 10 years ago, we were "doomed" and could just as well close shop due to our hunting policies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:

Fujo, no statistics......... but how would you explain the real, obvious decline in mature lions in many hunting areas? Even those that have not suffered traditionally from habitat encroachment?

You've hunted with Luke for donkey years.... are you seeing the same quantities of full maned lions as 15-20 years ago? if not, why do you think?

Bwanamich:

As there are no statistics available the reason has automatically been attributed to over hunting where in reality it is mainly due to human encroachment and of late, the demand for lion parts to be used as "juju" and even most recently, the demand by some chinaman who has discovered that lion parts are as good as tiger's for 'recharging the battery'.

It is also an undisputed fact that some outfitters do not pay much attention at the quality of lions they allow to be shot(though they be few rather than most) and with the introduction of "new outfitters" to the industry the fate of the remaining lions does not look too promising. Frowner

Does'nt Loliondo tell you something?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 6 year rule is one of the sections that will be re-looked at probably before

Are you sure coffee

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mboga,
it's your right as an operator to present your argument to the Gov. If you do it properly, logically and most importantly with supporting evidence and respect, you will be heard. Of course if you just hope that it will happen, then......

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bwanamich:

As there are no statistics available the reason has automatically been attributed to over hunting where in reality it is mainly due to human encroachment and of late, the demand for lion parts to be used as "juju" and even most recently, the demand by some chinaman who has discovered that lion parts are as good as tiger's for 'recharging the battery'.

It is also an undisputed fact that some outfitters do not pay much attention at the quality of lions they allow to be shot(though they be few rather than most) and with the introduction of "new outfitters" to the industry the fate of the remaining lions does not look too promising. Frowner

what about the blocks in the middle of the Selous? Are the Kilwa blocks so impacted by habitat degradation? What about Luke's Selous areas? Has LL3 suffered habitat loss, poaching for juju to that extent?

Come on guys, a decent lion density for an average hunting area is between 3-5 lions/100km sq. So a hunting block of approx 1200 sq km (of which there are numerous) will have a lion pop of between 40 and 80 lions resident. Make it 100 lions for ease of discussion and to include the one's that would immigrate from surrounding areas. Let us say that half of them are males (of all age groups). Historically, many blocks in Tz had a lion quota of 5 - 8 and these were being shot year in and year out! So what kind of impact would you (generic) say this would have on a lion pop of 100 lions over say 10 years?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bwanamich:

what about the blocks in the middle of the Selous? Are the Kilwa blocks so impacted by habitat degradation? What about Luke's Selous areas? Has LL3 suffered habitat loss, poaching for juju to that extent?

Come on guys, a decent lion density for an average hunting area is between 3-5 lions/100km sq. So a hunting block of approx 1200 sq km (of which there are numerous) will have a lion pop of between 40 and 80 lions resident. Make it 100 lions for ease of discussion and to include the one's that would immigrate from surrounding areas. Let us say that half of them are males (of all age groups). Historically, many blocks in Tz had a lion quota of 5 - 8 and these were being shot year in and year out! So what kind of impact would you (generic) say this would have on a lion pop of 100 lions over say 10 years?

Mich,

For as long as I can remember the Selous quotas were 5 per block(on average)and to the best of my knowledge most concession holders never fulfilled those quotas, if anything the conscientious outfitters asked for them to be reduced to keep the quality stable - same for buffalo (10 per block).

I do know however that some unscrupulous outfitters, especially in your neck of the woods
increase their quotas of lion and leopard based on demand, thereby shooting the crap out their population of cats as well as other species of game (gerenuk & lesser kudu in particular); I think you know who they are Wink

You are of course well aware that over the past 2/3 years, poaching in the Selous has escalated to abnormal proportions; main target being elephant (as usual) but I have noticed a SUDDEN decline in lion over the last 2 years and I am not talking of male populations but lions in general and when you run into them, are spooky as hell! - I wonder why?

I most certainly DO NOT attribute their sudden decline to overshooting because the records will prove the assumption as incorrect.

I have also noticed the absence of several resident males that were being monitored and protected for their genetic qualities - I guess they must have wandered "next door" and got nailed (c'est la vie).

You mentioned the Kilwa blocks - these are outside the reserve (open areas), there is no shortage of villages and in recent years have been "discovered" and severely hammered by local residents.
It has also become common knowledge that the Kilwa area has today become one of the main entry/exit points to the Selous for obvious reasons, to one familiar with its topography.
Look at the records for lions legally 'harvested' in the Kilwa area - overshot?...absolutely - by poachers!

It is quite easy to throw generic criticism
at the entire hunting industry when the activities of your organization are largely based on non-profit and likened to a "private hunting reserve", where lions have names Wink

For the sake of interest to all, what are the official figures of lion taken in TZ over the last 5 years ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
quote:

Aaron, glad to hear you say that. I knew there must be something in there that we could agree on.

I still think that you guys need to be taking a different approach with Dr Packer and if anything bringing in a competitor scientist to re-evaluate the current data that has been gathered. If Dr Packer is confident of his work then he should have no problem with that.

I along with many others are very uncomfortable with backing a single horse that was conveniently picked by USFW.

Anyway, good luck with your efforts. But please take heed of what some of the guys here are saying, they speak from a perspective of vast experience and on the ground knowledge. They also speak with knowledge of the localized implementation of any laws and in many cases have valid concerns.

One more thing, how are you going about putting researchers on the ground. When it comes down to it the antis have research and we dont. Regardless of whether or not theirs if false and skewed. We need to have a stick to join in this fight. I know I have harped on about this but many have agreed with me on this point. In order to make a stance and be taken for more than just a bunch of guys protecting their right to kill, you need to show your intent with the conservation research you are paying for.

HQ

AHQ - Truth is, and again, its well-documented throughout past threads, I not a big supporter of Dr. Packer, at all! Fact is, when it comes to the public conversations we've had, versus the private conversations, its like talking to two totally different people??? Frankly I was shocked at the "all-over-the-place" differences!

Fact is, nobody - including Dr. Packer has the science you speak of. Antis have NO science, they have only "feelings", which is more than enough to sway the majority of the unknowing public. Especially as it pertains to a wide array of countries/different areas within countries, the science is NOT there.

Truthfully, I have much more confidence/faith, and belief in Dr. Paula White (Zambian Lion Project) and Dr. Colleen Begg (Niassa), both of whom deal directly with hunters on a regular basis. Both of whom have given their professional opinions, based on years of experience with Lion Hunting! Dr. White in particular is probably the biggest scientist/lion hunting proponent, and also just happens to have (BY FAR) the most wide-spread, on the ground experience, with Lion/Lion Hunting! Imagine that??

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwana - Not trying to make it personal, just commenting on your post.

Nor was I and I didn't even think of you personally when I discussed someone with a few lions under his belt as I know a dozen or so folks who fit that description...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

AHQ - Truth is, and again, its well-documented throughout past threads, I not a big supporter of Dr. Packer, at all! Fact is, when it comes to the public conversations we've had, versus the private conversations, its like talking to two totally different people??? Frankly I was shocked at the "all-over-the-place" differences!

Fact is, nobody - including Dr. Packer has the science you speak of. Antis have NO science, they have only "feelings", which is more than enough to sway the majority of the unknowing public. Especially as it pertains to a wide array of countries/different areas within countries, the science is NOT there.

Truthfully, I have much more confidence/faith, and belief in Dr. Paula White (Zambian Lion Project) and Dr. Colleen Begg (Niassa), both of whom deal directly with hunters on a regular basis. Both of whom have given their professional opinions, based on years of experience with Lion Hunting! Dr. White in particular is probably the biggest scientist/lion hunting proponent, and also just happens to have (BY FAR) the most wide-spread, on the ground experience, with Lion/Lion Hunting! Imagine that??

+1

We (Aaron, I, LCTF) lobbied against implementation of the hard-and-fast 6 year old rule in leu of a Niassa type system...albeit to late.

I would prefer a Niassa system to present 6 year old rule. However...I (just speaking for myself) do support the 6 rule over the previous status quo of doing nothing.

My only defense of Packer is that he is NOT for a ban on lion hunting and he realizes that the lion needs value through hunting. He has told us that personally as Aaron can confirm. I agree with all else Aaron says about CP. But we must remember that CP trained Dr. Colleen Begg and he endorses her work in Niassa as the "gold standard."

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Fujo,

There are quite a few good examples of areas devoid of mature males with females abound...suggestive of a trophy hunting problem.

But...I do agree that hunting is a distal 3rd to 1)habitat loss/human encroachment and 2) poaching.

But again...if we (hunters) are the true conservationists...we must keep our own house tidy as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe canned/ranch lion hunts at $20k a pop should be for the "once in a lifetime safari". Afterall, it matters not what age they are when they are shot.

I don't disagree. I think it is a bit arrogant for me to tell someone "you will only do this once so you must hunt the RSA!" But I have always thought the better, larger operators in South Africa who offer lions do act as a safety valve for excess pressure on truly wild lion hunts and are more economical to boot. Something like 300 lions a year harvested there. Granted we are all conflicted with the lion "mills" who breed them and release them hours before a hunter arrives but there are a number of operators who try to provide a more authentic hunting experience. JMO...

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Aaron
I believe in your conservation effort and I believe that it will ease the pressure that sport hunting has put on some lion populations. Having said that, it is my opinion that you are bind to some of the problems and issues regarding the hunters who will likely take one lion hunt in their life(an are more likely to kill the wrong lions), as illustrated in your post below:

quote:
quote:
Someone who has a lion or two under his/her belt has a clarity of purpose and stronger resolve (ie, shoot an older trophy lion) that a first-timer who has a large investment in the hunt itself may not have (ie, I have $40K invested in a hunt and a legal lion appeared on bait with two days remaining on my hunt).

But, what makes my $40,000.00 investment any less valuable than the next guy's? What makes the $110,000.00 I've spent on 3 unsuccessful lion hunts (1 in Tanzania, 2 in Zambia) any less valuable than someone else?

There are two huge differences between your $40K investment and the $40k investment of the "once in a lifetime lion hunter".

First, you are undertaking your hunt knowing that if you are unsuccessful you will be back to hunt lions again in a year or two. The "once in a lifetime" lion hunter does not have this luxury. Due to whatever circumstance(money, age, etc.) if he doesn't get his lion now, he will never get one.

Second, and most importantly, you already have "your lion" and on top of that you have a dozen or so great lions. Of course your need to take a lion for the sake of taking a lion is going to be far, far less than that of the "once in a lifetime lion hunter.

------------------------------

As for this second quote, I apologize for chopping it up and taking your words out of context. I did so for the sake of clarity.

It is clear that some of us have a problem with you leading this effort when you yourself have taken more than a dozen lions. It is also clear that you feel justified in that you have practiced sound conservation practices during most of those lion hunts.

I am just giving the most cynical side of my opinions on the quote below, but I would be interested to hear if you can understand my stance or if you can provide information that would change my mind. I am playing the devils advocate, so to speak.

quote:
No, not every lion I have shot would meet the criteria I now believe in. I shot my first lion over 16 yrs ago, long before anyone, including the scientific community even thought about such things as it pertains to lions/lion hunting, etc.
I can tell you this, the first lion I shot 16 yrs ago, is probably a 4 yr old.
What the heck did I know, it was my first trip to Africa?
Other than the fact that times have changed , how does that make you any different that the guy today who kills a 4 year old lion on his first hunt? And going by the accepted fact that these estimates can be off by a year or so, your lion may have been 3 years old...

Since then, I feel pretty confident in saying every lion I have taken is 5 yrs old or better, and I have never shot a male lion in the presence of a pride, or one I thought/knew was a pride male.
But the accepted age to take a lion is now considered to be 6 years old, and you are only "pretty confident" that they were at least 5yo, so they may have been 4, or possibley even 3.5. So there is little doubt that some of your 15 lions have not been "sound" from a conservation standpoint, correct? Edited to add: And with over a dozen lions taken, there is a very good chance that at least a couple of these lions were in fact pride holding males that were out on "walkabout"(as Bwanamich calls it)

Times have changed alot since my first safari, especially just in the past 3-5 yrs.
In other words, you have only been practicing these sound conservation policies for the past 3-5 years, and it is fair to assume that all the lion you killed before that were only of the proper age(if in fact they were) by sheer luck....

I've taken some great Lions, hunting them is my passion in life and I will continue to do it.
Yes you will be able to continue hunting lions if your conservation efforts are sucessfull and lion hunting is not closed. Nevermind that many of the would be "once in a lifetime" lion hunters will be priced out of the game. But who cares, you'll still be able to hunt them....

I passed numerous male lions that we knew were not old/mature lions, and I went home without one. That's just lion hunting!!! It doesn't take much restraint to pass on non-trophy lions when you already have a dozen or so trophy lion. It is easy to say "that's just lion hunting" when you are a guy who already has more great trophy lion than most people can even dream about.

I hope no one sees my post as an attack, as it was not meant that way.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Aaron
I believe in your conservation effort and I believe that it will ease the pressure that sport hunting has put on some lion populations. Having said that, it is my opinion that you are bind to some of the problems and issues regarding the hunters who will likely take one lion hunt in their life(an are more likely to kill the wrong lions), as illustrated in your post below:

quote:
quote:
Someone who has a lion or two under his/her belt has a clarity of purpose and stronger resolve (ie, shoot an older trophy lion) that a first-timer who has a large investment in the hunt itself may not have (ie, I have $40K invested in a hunt and a legal lion appeared on bait with two days remaining on my hunt).

But, what makes my $40,000.00 investment any less valuable than the next guy's? What makes the $110,000.00 I've spent on 3 unsuccessful lion hunts (1 in Tanzania, 2 in Zambia) any less valuable than someone else?

There are two huge differences between your $40K investment and the $40k investment of the "once in a lifetime lion hunter".

First, you are undertaking your hunt knowing that if you are unsuccessful you will be back to hunt lions again in a year or two. The "once in a lifetime" lion hunter does not have this luxury. Due to whatever circumstance(money, age, etc.) if he doesn't get his lion now, he will never get one.

Second, and most importantly, you already have "your lion" and on top of that you have a dozen or so great lions. Of course your need to take a lion for the sake of taking a lion is going to be far, far less than that of the "once in a lifetime lion hunter.

------------------------------

As for this second quote, I apologize for chopping it up and taking your words out of context. I did so for the sake of clarity.

It is clear that some of us have a problem with you leading this effort when you yourself have taken more than a dozen lions. It is also clear that you feel justified in that you have practiced sound conservation practices during most of those lion hunts.

I am just giving the most cynical side of my opinions on the quote below, but I would be interested to hear if you can understand my stance or if you can provide information that would change my mind. I am playing the devils advocate, so to speak.

quote:
No, not every lion I have shot would meet the criteria I now believe in. I shot my first lion over 16 yrs ago, long before anyone, including the scientific community even thought about such things as it pertains to lions/lion hunting, etc.
I can tell you this, the first lion I shot 16 yrs ago, is probably a 4 yr old.
What the heck did I know, it was my first trip to Africa?
Other than the fact that times have changed , how does that make you any different that the guy today who kills a 4 year old lion on his first hunt? And going by the accepted fact that these estimates can be off by a year or so, your lion may have been 3 years old...

Since then, I feel pretty confident in saying every lion I have taken is 5 yrs old or better, and I have never shot a male lion in the presence of a pride, or one I thought/knew was a pride male.
But the accepted age to take a lion is now considered to be 6 years old, and you are only "pretty confident" that they were at least 5yo, so they may have been 4, or possibley even 3.5. So there is little doubt that some of your 15 lions have not been "sound" from a conservation standpoint, correct?

Times have changed alot since my first safari, especially just in the past 3-5 yrs.
In other words, you have only been practicing these sound conservation policies for the past 3-5 years, and it is fair to assume that all the lion you killed before that were only of the proper age(if in fact they were) by sheer luck....

I've taken some great Lions, hunting them is my passion in life and I will continue to do it.
Yes you will be able to continue hunting lions if your conservation efforts are sucessfull and lion hunting is not closed. Nevermind that many of the would be "once in a lifetime" lion hunters will be priced out of the game. But who cares, you'll still be able to hunt them....

I passed numerous male lions that we knew were not old/mature lions, and I went home without one. That's just lion hunting!!! It doesn't take much restraint to pass on non-trophy lions when you already have a dozen or so trophy lion. It is easy to say "that's just lion hunting" when you are a guy who already has more great trophy lion than most people can even dream about.

I hope no one sees my post as an attack, as it was not meant that way.

Aaron,

I really admire and respect your experience, but Jason just laid out some arguments...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote