Find
Notify
Tools

If you thought All Gone's...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mjines and Nganga to a great degree. I also agree the lion should have not been shot and hope I would have passed on it. However a lion at 2-3 years is sexually mature and could have at least possibly have passed on his genes. That elephant AG shot was probably 5 years if not more from being sexually mature. IMO the elephant was more like shooting a 1 year old lion cub.

Does not make either one right but the lion was way closer in age and size to being proper than that elephant, hence more outrage.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Brett,

We can agree to disagree as gentlemen on the Wrldhunter thing.

I think I did a poor job explaining why the forum see's it as different. The physical size difference between a mature lion and a two year old is not as great as the physical size difference between a full grown Jumbo and that merry-go-round ride ele. AG shot.

That, and what Mjines states, he was perfectly happy with his hunt, trophy, experience, PH, camp, soup to nuts as would be the norm for a outfit like the duPlooy's.

AG was pissed from the word go it seems. Also the jury is still out on the thing even being a bull for gods sake!!!

Steve,

I see what you're saying about the physical size diffence, but I'm failing to make a conection with it's relevance. Other than the elephant's size making it more apparent to lay people as immature it doesn't negate the fact that the lion was immature. That lion probably wasn't long off its mother. The primary and universal response I heard on here regarding the elephant was mostly it was a travesty because it never should have been shot. The singular response was NOT ALLGONE expected more and this animal didn't meet his expectations and therefore it's a travesty. Nor was it this is illegal and we are outraged. Again the outrage was over the immaturity of the elephant. If ALLGONE had been happy with the elephant I would hope people would have still been outraged by the shooting of an immature elephant and outraged by the unprofesionalism of the PH to allow it to happen. The PH condoning the killing of the elephant is damning of his professionalism, abilities, and sense. That said I don't see it as any less damning of a PH's profesionalism when he knows an animal is too immature to take, tells his client that, and then idelly stands by while the client takes it. PHs are suppose to be in charge not us!

The only validity I see with Worldhunter being happy with his lion is that it was a shame to see him upset and turned off of his hunt. I'm sorry that happened and it's a shame. That said it's no less a shame that the lion was taken in the first place.

So what's the differnce between an immature bull elephant and an immature lion? Either something is right or it isn't. You can't play sometimes/sometimes not based on the hunter being around to hear you say it. You can show tact of course, but I'd hope the principles of "this is NOT ok" would be the same even if you chose to bite your tounge.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

If All Gone was OK with his ele then it would be OK? Cause it probably was a bull and I don't think Zim has minimum ivory size...making it a legal ele.

So again...if All Gone would have been happy with his ele...all are OK with him taking it?

And 2 year old lion (which Wrldhunter's was)...while capable of breeding successfully...rarely do in the wild (except in majorly over hunted areas with virtually NO mature males). Poor argument.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37750 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
The PH condoning the killing of the elephant is damning of his professionalism, abilities, and sense. That said I don't see it as any less damning of a PH's profesionalism when he knows an animal is too immature to take, tells his client that, and then idelly stands by while the client takes it. PHs are suppose to be in charge not us!

Actually now that I think about it I'm more upset at the PH regarding the lion. Tim Lamprecht just needs to find a new profesion. He has no business being a PH. Easy fix there. But Abbie? This is a VERY experienced PH who knows what he's doing and apparently just doesn't care. That bothers me a lot.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
I agree with Mjines and Nganga to a great degree. I also agree the lion should have not been shot and hope I would have passed on it. However a lion at 2-3 years is sexually mature and could have at least possibly have passed on his genes. That elephant AG shot was probably 5 years if not more from being sexually mature. IMO the elephant was more like shooting a 1 year old lion cub.

Does not make either one right but the lion was way closer in age and size to being proper than that elephant, hence more outrage.

Mike - No offense to you directly, but I'm using your post as an example, and adding to Brett & Lane's as well. First off Mike, the Lion was in no way, shape or form, remotely a mature animal, he was a big cub. Lions live for 9-12 yrs, elephants for 50-70 yrs, I would hope the lion reaches sexual maturity a little earlier in life than an elephant.

Man, the splitting of hairs and LOOKING for a reason to make one scenario OK, and the other NOT is getting crazy! So now a 1 yr old lion is unacceptable, but since a 2 yr old could be sexually capable (mature is simply innacurate) its acceptable? See Lane's post as well. This is just becoming foolish.

Steve, Mjines and others have said it clearly. Wrldhunter was ok with a lion cub, so all is OK with killing it. AG on the other hand, not happy, so the killing of baby "dumbo" was a travesty, everyone should pay, the PH should lose his license, etc, etc. This is just insane!

Whatever happened to the effective and logical management, by hunters (who constantly claim to be the world's leading animal conservationists) of the wildlife we so care for? The lion isn't the whitetail deer, their numbers are limited, their range is/can/will be under threat, we are all aware of the political and scientific issues facing them, yet we give them such little respect. As long as the hunter is HAPPY killing it, then carry on??

WOW, is that really the sentiment of the majority of hunters?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
"If All Gone had been happy with the elephant"

If the Queen had a dick she would be the King, He wasn't happy, and that's only part of it. The entire hunt was a cluster f&*k for AG.

Brett, Lane I just don't know what to say other than it's different. Can't really say why, just something inside tells me it's different, it's human I guess. I also think the very first initial post from Aaron so turned everything negative that the rest was soiled and sides were drawn.

I think that if JUST the Jumbo was the only jacked up part of AG's trip the vitriol would be somewhat less, I think if AG would have handled the forum differently things would also be different.

I'm sorry guys' I won't differ the right animal and the wrong animal to shoot to an internet forum. That said, I have been 100000% consistent on the Worldhunter lion, It should not have been shot. It was legal....CHANGE THE DAMN LAWS don't change the past. I make decisions in the bush along with a PH, with the required experience to be qualified, AG was denied that. The elephant sucks, so did the lion. What did ruining a memory for Worldhunter accomplish other than turning hunter against hunter? Not a damn thing.

It cost me friends, but I remained principled and consistent on the thing.

One of the fondest memories in my lifetime is finally walking up to that brute of a lion a shot in Zambia in 2005. This forum took that from Worldhunter. Too Bad, and shame on "us", all of us

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the fondest memories in my lifetime is finally walking up to that brute of a lion a shot in Zambia in 2005. This forum took that from Worldhunter. Too Bad, and shame on "us", all of us

Steve

Could the fact that yours was a brute and Wrlhunter's was an elder cub have any effect on those feelings?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37750 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably Lane, probably. Thats my point here there are no absolutes.

Thats why there are really no winners and only losers when dissecting these events in the bush.

Does or should a hunter feel any different about shooting a leopard under artificial light in Zim? it's legal. I shot both my leopards in the daytime in Zambia, does that make them any more the trophy? Maybe since I don't think it to be fair chase, I should throw a fit perhaps? same thing Lane. Change the laws.

Or hounds perhaps? Not my cup of tea either but go for it in Namibia if you choose. Shall I call foul? same thing Lane.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
The big difference in my mind is that All Gone is the hunter criticizing his own experience. In the case of Worldhunter, the hunter seemed to be perfectly fine with his experience, it was others who chose to be judgmental. To me that makes all the difference in the world. If All Gone had been pleased with his trophy and his trophy was legally taken, that is his call to make whether I agree with that decision or not.

Thank you!

I think you have summed it up perfectly.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68633 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also think the very first initial post from Aaron so turned everything negative that the rest was soiled and sides were drawn.

I think that's the problem. I think most reasonable people among us would agree that lions like that should never be taken. The problem is they mix their disgust for Aaron's first post and sadness with the outcome with their feelings on the lion itself. It's almost like even though I agree with you I refuse to agree with you because the manor you went about bringing this up.

I'm sorry guys' I won't differ the right animal and the wrong animal to shoot to an internet forum. That said, I have been 100000% consistent on the Worldhunter lion, It should not have been shot. It was legal....CHANGE THE DAMN LAWS don't change the past.

People change laws by fighting the problem. If public sentiment is not with you it's going to be hard to change those laws. If people aren't educated on what's the "right lion" and why it isn't going to happen. And I think you of all people will agree with me that "legal" doesn't equal "right". I don't think I need to belabor that point with any of a number of examples that come to mind. If you know that taking a 2 year old lion is bad for lions and you do it anyway even if legal that says something (very negative in my oppinion) about you. I'm sure Worldhunter had no idea, but I'm equally sure his PH DID! I know that was my big problem with that saga and I'm sure that was similarly Aaron and Lane's problem as well. Not with Worldhunter, but with the PH.

What did ruining a memory for Worldhunter accomplish other than turning hunter against hunter? Not a damn thing.

Hopefully it educated a bunch of people about lion conservation, management, and what the "right lion" is and is not. I will agree that it had negative consiquences that were unfortunate. Hopefully we all learned something from that one even if it was how not to bring up a topic.

This forum took that from Worldhunter. Too Bad, and shame on "us", all of us

I agree, but I'd equally agree that the PH's apathy and unprofessionalism had a heavy hand in ruining his memmory.

Steve

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
We are in near complete agreement, as I am with Lane and even mostly with Aaron.

This is really a test of ones ability to resolve conflict. You want to Blame Abie, yet you don't know all the facts. I will then agree that the PH has the final say!!!

That said, shall a PH physically stop a client? I nearly got into a fist fight with a real winner on Kodiak in 1998 over shooting a bear on the last day of my second hunt. rotflmo

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:

Mike - No offense to you directly, but I'm using your post as an example, and adding to Brett & Lane's as well. First off Mike, the Lion was in no way, shape or form, remotely a mature animal, he was a big cub. Lions live for 9-12 yrs, elephants for 50-70 yrs, I would hope the lion reaches sexual maturity a little earlier in life than an elephant.

Man, the splitting of hairs and LOOKING for a reason to make one scenario OK, and the other NOT is getting crazy! So now a 1 yr old lion is unacceptable, but since a 2 yr old could be sexually capable (mature is simply innacurate) its acceptable? See Lane's post as well. This is just becoming foolish.

Aaron,

I agree neither should have been shot, nor I am I trying to make excuses for either.

My wife saw the picture of the elephant and became very angry about somebody shooting a baby elephant. I did not have to tell her it was too young. A lot of people (hunters) looked at the lion and saw a big cat.

I was just stating why I think there is a difference in level of outrage.

And Aaron, while I do not alway agree with your methods, I do respect what you are doing for lion hunting.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I agree the scenario is not quite the same, but that doesn't errase the guiding principle. The PH has......or SHOULD have control of the hunt and NOT the hunter. So the PH should not have allowed him to shoot regardless of what the hunter wanted.

I understand this train of thought, my question is, to what point. You have a man who has paid $40k-$50k to hunt a lion, there is a legal lion standing in front of him. You (PH) have already convinced him to pass it once, he makes the decision that he wants to shoot that lion, how far do you take it?

Again had ALLGONE known it was an immature animal and still wanted to shoot it would that make it ok? I would say not. It's still immature weather he knew it or not and was happy with it or not. And its still a travesty.

Brett

I have not said either of these situations are "OK", I have simply offered reasons as to why the responses were different on this forum.

quote:
Brad - Come on man, that's just word games, nothing more! The PH didn't shoot it, or make the call? Then why was he even there/needed, etc, etc? That's a seriously lame excuse.

What reason would I have to make an "excuse" for anyone? You did not ask the question if one or the other of these situations was wrong. You asked the question why did the members respond to one more vehemently than the other when they appear to be the same to you.

Regardless, re-read the question, you didn't answer it at all?

What are you talking about? I am the ONLY one answering the question:
quote:
Why is it that Aaron critisizing the PH for shooting a 2 year old lion is VIEWED as attacking the hunter and not just calling it what it was......a BS call by the PH that reflects poorly on the outfitter?

I (and Nganga) are the only ones offering reasons why the members of this forum VIEW and respond to the 2 situations differently. We are not arguing whether it is right or wrong (regardless of my ersonal feelings), as that is not what was asked.

So we have all discerned by your continued distinction of the two events that a PH is a scumbag for telling a "hunter" to shoot the juvenile elephant, but a "hunter" who chooses to shoot a juvenile lion (with a PH present, and obviously approving) is A-OK, and shouldn't be "victimized" by meanies on AR? Even though, I never said a bad word about the "hunter" in the first place!!! If that's not a double standard, I have never-ever seen one, ever!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources

Once again, I have not said anyone is anything, I have not said it is the same or different, I have not said the hunters or the PH's or the commentors on these forums are right or wrong, I have simply given reasons I see the two situations were responded to differently. If the shoe fits, wear it.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
You want to Blame Abie, yet you don't know all the facts. I will then agree that the PH has the final say!!!

Unless he told Worldhunter not to shoot and he shot anyway or the Du Plooys told him get him a lion any lion or you're fired I'm not buying Abbie being the victim. This was his fault and to some degree the Du Plooys for not making it abundantly clear that shooting 2 year old lions is NOT ok under any circumstances. If the Du Plooys take that stance they take the pressure off the PH. The PH can say I'll get fired if you shoot him so no way.

That said, shall a PH physically stop a client?

No, but telling the client that under no circumstances are they to shoot that lion and that if they do their hunt will stop immediately and they will be billed the trophy fee and not receive the trophy. See how many people would shoot after that.......or better yet the Du Plooys express to all potential clients that they have a minimum self imposed standard for lion trophies and that shooting immature lions will not be permitted. Then there's no pressure on the PH and the client goes in knowing the score.

I nearly got into a fist fight with a real winner on Kodiak in 1998 over shooting a bear on the last day of my second hunt. rotflmo

Oh my! I need to hear this one!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for conversation sake, does anyone pay attention to the size of carved or rendered ivery available for purchase in Salisbury?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
[QUOTE]originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I agree the scenario is not quite the same, but that doesn't errase the guiding principle. The PH has......or SHOULD have control of the hunt and NOT the hunter. So the PH should not have allowed him to shoot regardless of what the hunter wanted.

I understand this train of thought, my question is, to what point. You have a man who has paid $40k-$50k to hunt a lion, there is a legal lion standing in front of him. You (PH) have already convinced him to pass it once, he makes the decision that he wants to shoot that lion, how far do you take it?

Again I think this comes down to the Du Plooys. If they tell hunters they do not shoot or allow the shooting of immature lions from the begining of the booking process: this is a non issues, Abbie feels comfortable not letting the client shoot, lions are better off, and we don't have this mess on AR. It means putting the animals ahead of the dollar every once in a while. I think everyone wins even if the % success goes down a couple points God forbid!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Again I think this comes down to the Du Plooys. If they tell hunters they do not shoot or allow the shooting of immature lions from the begining of the booking process: this is a non issues, Abbie feels comfortable not letting the client shoot, lions are better off, and we don't have this mess on AR. It means putting the animals ahead of the dollar every once in a while. I think everyone wins even if the % success goes down a couple points God forbid!!!

Brett

Brett,

Thats a remarkably easy statement to make when it's not your 50K.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Very true.......but knowing the quality they can produce and their reputation I bet they'd still book the s&*t out of some lion hunts!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brett

Brett,

Steve

Amen. I may never get the chance to hunt a male lion but if I do . . . and if it is Day 17 of an 18 day hunt . . . and if we happen upon a nice male that may not be six or seven . . . and if the PH is okay with going ahead . . . then with all due respect to my friends on AR that are not paying for my hunt and who have not spent 17 days chasing and baiting lions in the hope for the opportunity to take one, there is an excellent chance that lion will shot and hopefully in the salt. Oh yea, and I will not post pictures on AR but will insist in my hunt report that the lion was fifteen, maybe seventeen years old with just gums and no teeth . . .

Mike

Posts: 21669 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The part of this entire thing that saddens me is that we as sportsmen have far more in common than that which divides us. For some unknown reason internet forums bring out the worst in people.

I have surely been guilty in the past of bad behavior whether it was in jest or not, it was in fact bad behavior.

We owe it to our heirs to be responsible stewards of that which the creator has bestowed upon us, my gosh what an honor yet a monumental responsibility.

If the collective "we" cannot get past our petty differences and fragile egos' we fail.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brett

Brett,

Steve

Amen. I may never get the chance to hunt a male lion but if I do . . . and if it is Day 17 of an 18 day hunt . . . and if we happen upon a nice male that may not be six or seven . . . and if the PH is okay with going ahead . . . then with all due respect to my friends on AR that are not paying for my hunt and who have not spent 17 days chasing and baiting lions in the hope for the opportunity to take one, there is an excellent chance that lion will shot and hopefully in the salt. Oh yea, and I will not post pictures on AR but will insist in my hunt report that the lion was fifteen, maybe seventeen years old with just gums and no teeth . . .

Mike
That right there is some funny shit.
rotflmo

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron

All I am doing to you is exactly what you have done to so many others. Just for the record digging up anything a person has said in the past and applying it to support your bullying does nothing for your credibility.

I know real conservationists, you know the guys who make a difference. Not the poster boys who try and stamp their Mark on it and call themselves heros.

Calling yourself a lion hunting expert is like saying those people stitching Nike's in the East are part of the NBA.

Now seeing as you are a conservationist and supporting the likes of Packer, answer this.

If the 6 year laws go into effect, that would give the US Fish and Wildlife Service, which is very anti-hunting, the right to "verify" the age of all lions being imported into the US. Without definitive proof of age, which you've admitted cannot be determined, all lion trophies would be subject to permanent seizure as contraband and the hunter guilty of a Lacey Act violation. No American hunter in their right mind would ever hunt and import an African lion again.
So please tell me, how is this protecting lions.

You need to pack your ego in your hunting bag and start to use your brain. Put this energy of yours into a direction that will help lions and for a start get some proper science behind you so we can all defend the lion together.
I will happily support you as soon as you start to make sense. Right now its simply helping Packer drive the dagger home.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
oh, i don't know. if a lion was bald, weighed about 600lbs witha beer(buffalo??)belly and had no visible teeth, i would probably assume he was old enough and could be imported. and at least with no teeth, THERE IS NOTHING TO XRAY@!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
oh, i don't know. if a lion was bald, weighed about 600lbs witha beer(buffalo??)belly and had no visible teeth, i would probably assume he was old enough and could be imported. and at least with no teeth, THERE IS NOTHING TO XRAY@!!!

That could be me in 10 years!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
If the 6 year laws go into effect, that would give the US Fish and Wildlife Service, which is very anti-hunting, the right to "verify" the age of all lions being imported into the US. Without definitive proof of age, which you've admitted cannot be determined, all lion trophies would be subject to permanent seizure as contraband and the hunter guilty of a Lacey Act violation. No American hunter in their right mind would ever hunt and import an African lion again.

AHQ, you always look at things as if the glass is half EMPTY not half FULL. Why?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mich
It matters little what my outlook on life is. When it comes to something as important as this I dont want the decision to be resting on a knife edge. I want to know that the glass is full, not half way there.
Trusting anti hunting scientists to do the right thing because they were nice guys is simply ludicrous
Start defending whats yours or it will be gone in no time at all.

As I have said to Aaron before, expecting Packer to read his numbers in favour of hunting this time round is not exactly making anyone feel good about this.

Get some valid science of your own to combat the propaganda or you will be caught with your pants down.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And while we wait for the years to pass as the "valid research" you speak about is done, we should keep the status quo? Really?

I am NOT a researcher, scientist or whatever, but the research to date I have read is enough for me to understand that we simply CANNOT maintain the status quo and allow <6 yo old lions to be taken for the next 5 years. You obviously disagree and resist any change?

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
Aaron

All I am doing to you is exactly what you have done to so many others. Just for the record digging up anything a person has said in the past and applying it to support your bullying does nothing for your credibility.

I know real conservationists, you know the guys who make a difference. Not the poster boys who try and stamp their Mark on it and call themselves heros.

Calling yourself a lion hunting expert is like saying those people stitching Nike's in the East are part of the NBA.

Now seeing as you are a conservationist and supporting the likes of Packer, answer this.

You need to pack your ego in your hunting bag and start to use your brain. Put this energy of yours into a direction that will help lions and for a start get some proper science behind you so we can all defend the lion together.
I will happily support you as soon as you start to make sense. Right now its simply helping Packer drive the dagger home.

AHQ - I don't think its my credibility that's in question! Regardless of whether you like me or not, my opinions/statements/advice are consistent. Yours on the otherhand, as I've pointed out now several times, beg for consistency.

You're doing to me, exactly what I've done to many others, really? Totally contradictory to your advice to others however, and I'm the one with no credibility? As I recall, the only two people I have ever taken real exception to were the Zambian PH who allowed the baby lion to be shot - NOT THE HUNTER, and 505 Gibbs, who happens to be a friend and a client of mine! He and I go at it, but I still like the hell out of him.

I already told you, my LION HUNTING EXPERTISE is internet garnered. But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

Your example of the 6 yr law, is way off base! Just as is NOW law in Tanzania, an aging criteria in other countries will be/could be established. Of course it is not 100% accurate, nothing is, but they (TWD) have established what they consider an aging process. So, the lion will be aged (In TZ), if it meets legal requirements, it will be issued legal paperwork, for legal exportation. Thus, once arriving in the U.S. its taking/exportation is already deemed to be legal, and NO Lacey Act violation has occured!! An under-age, illegal lion, will never leave TZ, headed for the U.S. in the first place!!!

I think Bwanamich has already addressed the science question, but what the hell does he know either? The only "expert" on this forum is AHQ!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Still...no one has answered my last question and it begs clarity.

If All Gone was happy with his ele calf (and it is certified legal) and would have just posted a hunting report showing his new ele "trophy" on AR...how many would have just posted a hearty "well done" and moved on and how many would have been "disturbed" like Ann was?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There is another option you failed to mention, and that is simply to keep your mouth shut (or your fingers off the keyboard).

I just think there are more effective ways to deal with issues like shooting soft bossed buffalo, young lions, immature elephants (or kudu, eland, or other plainsgame for that matter) than attacking hunters that made their own decision based on their own personal situation, then shared their experience only to have others tell them that they should be ashamed of themselves. Craig Boddington makes it a point to call out shooting soft bossed buffalo all the time on TAA and in his books, his position on the issue is not in doubt. But I have never seen or heard of him specifically criticizing another hunter for that hunter's personal decision to take a soft bossed buffalo. He keeps the argument focused on the issue, not any individual.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I clearly think it is the country, landowner and outfitter that have the responsibility to make laws and rules about what animals that can be shot and what not to shoot and how the hunt can be conducted.
I think it is totally up the the individual hunter what he/she will pull the trigger on when he/she is out hunting as long as it is in line with the laws and regulations in the area of the hunting.

If a hunter then decides to shoot a baby lion or a baby elephant, then it is ok for me.
I would never consider doing it myself, but I couldn't care less about what makes him/her happy when hunting as long it is within the laws and regulations.

I might not regard everything legal as hunting, but that is another issueSmiler

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is another option you failed to mention, and that is simply to keep your mouth shut (or your fingers off the keyboard).

Mike,
You are quite correct. This is actually the option I opt for 90+% of the time.

But go back and look at how many "Well Dones" Wrldhunter got for his lion.

And Aaron tried NOT make it about the hunter in the first thread...people kept dragging it back.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just think there are more effective ways to deal with issues like shooting soft bossed buffalo, young lions, immature elephants (or kudu, eland, or other plainsgame for that matter) than attacking hunters that made their own decision based on their own personal situation, then shared their experience only to have others tell them that they should be ashamed of themselves. Craig Boddington makes it a point to call out shooting soft bossed buffalo all the time on TAA and in his books, his position on the issue is not in doubt. But I have never seen or heard of him specifically criticizing another hunter for that hunter's personal decision to take a soft bossed buffalo. He keeps the argument focused on the issue, not any individual.

Mike - Ya, you're spot on with this one, especially as your example of CB states. I would however make a couple of comments, but I certainly will not disagree with your point.

First, I'm still searching for the "attack" on the hunter?

Second, I think its relatively easy to explain/understand what a soft-bossed buffalo is. On the flip side, lions are a totally different story, thus how do you suppose one would try to get the "word" out, about not shooting young lions, without using some as examples?

Third, and a point I've made many times before. Lions are currently under an entirely different scrutiny than buffalo, elephant or most any other African Wildlife Species, and that's a fact. Thus perhaps some of us, have taken a little harder angle on the subject. Not saying necessarily that we are 100% right, but perhaps emotion and immediate concern has at times got the best of us.

A frequent AR poster, attorney, experienced African Hunter, and someone I respect greatly, sent me a PM when the original "wrldhunter" lion issue began. He told me not to make it personal (I made an initial mistake) as you suggest, and I have tried to heed that advice since then. But, he also told me that when bucking the trend, or standing up for any un-popular position you believe in, "critics will abound." "Some will view your opinions/stance with great displeasure, and it will take guts to stand up for what you believe, despite some of your peers critique." The under-age lion issue, is just another in a long list of recent changes that are facing the African Hunter. A change that many are uncomfortable with, un-educated about, unaware of, or simply just don't care. I for one, do care, and have accepted the fact that I will receive some criticism. Regardless, I believe what I stand for, and I believe change is necessary for the longevity of the African Lion, I so deeply care about!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So many times people find that if they really stop to think about it there are more points of agreement between themselves than points of difference. Unfortunately, the points of difference sometimes overshadow the points of agreement.

I think most folks would concede:

- We respect the passion that you and Lane bring to the conversation.
- We agree with you that, as a general proposition, shooting underaged, immature animals is something to be avoided.
- We understand that there will be those that choose to throw stones regardless of the message.
- We agree that the more the argument is focused on the issue and the less the argument is focused on individual situations, the more effective the argument is likely to be.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
So many times people find that if they really stop to think about it there are more points of agreement between themselves than points of difference. Unfortunately, the points of difference sometimes overshadow the points of agreement.

- We agree with you that, as a general proposition, shooting underaged, immature animals is something to be avoided.
- We understand that there will be those that choose to throw stones regardless of the message.
- We agree that the more the argument is focused on the issue and the less the argument is focused on individual situations, the more effective the argument is likely to be.

I like the idea. So what now? Do you make an informational video to circulate using live lions to evaluate shooter or nonshooter status? Write a book? What's next? Craig Boddington on "The Propper Lion"?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Brett

Du Plooys is not a very good example. Note Chanjuzi was subdivided into two and offered a parallel quota thus doubling the off take of Lion. Therefore the original block now sells ten Lions. I am not qualified to comment on the sustainability but that does seem a tad excessive. But then again the concession is fed by two prime Parks so maybe the concentration of trophy males is indicative of the quota?

Last year our Lion quota was reduced by about 30% with a threat of a future ban. Today (and this maybe just rumour) I hear that quotas will be upped to that of the past. In Zambia we do not have a lack Lions, we have a problem implementing good conservation policies on their behalf.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can someone please enlighten us how they age lions?

All I hear is that it is not a 100% certain.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68633 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I like the idea. So what now? Do you make an informational video to circulate using live lions to evaluate shooter or nonshooter status? Write a book? What's next? Craig Boddington on "The Propper Lion"?

Brett

CB had his chance when he released Boddington on lion. Unfortunately, the issue was completely side stepped. Maybe they were worried it wouldn't sell.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Can someone please enlighten us how they age lions?

All I hear is that it is not a 100% certain.

No method is certain but all contemporary methods can be combined to give a fairly accurate picture.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
Your above short statement says much. It would seem to me that the process of aging a dead lion is accurate enough for aid in management decisions. However, is it accurate enough to base the decision on seizure of a mans property, reputation or even more so, freedom?