Find
Notify
Tools

Kill zone of a Cape Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I do not post much here but read everyone else's post each day and appreciate all the great info. I am off to Mozambique in 17 days for a buffalo hunt and would like to know the total size, approximately, of a kill zone for a buffalo. Thank you!

Monte

Posts: 36 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capehunter1

Welcome to AR.

The "kill"zone of a buff is like any other animal, do damage to the heart and lungs and they "gonna" die.

Problem is sometimes they do not die too quick.

I once made a "perfect heart shot" [the PH's words] on a cow buff [for lion bait] at 12 yards with a 480 gr Woodleigh soft. The cow ran about 100 to 150 yards and tried to get up when we aproached, 2 480 gr Woodleigh solids to the body, and a 44 Mag to the head finished the deal.

So be prepared to shoot more than once, maybe a lot more, even if your first, and all your other shots are "perfectly" placed.

I have killed cape buff with my 450 No2, my 450/400 and my 9,3x74R.

The only one killed with one shot was the one with my 9,3 [go figure], all shots were well placed.

What rifle, calibre and bullet[s] are you planning to use.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great information. I will be using a CZ550 416 Rigby with Norma bullets loaded with 400 grain Swift A-Frames. They will be followed by Barnes 400 grain solids. I was kind of wondering if
their kill zone is comparable in size to an elk or maybe bigger? An elk is the biggest animal I have killed. I am trying to get a good feel what should be my longest shot. I can keep about a 6-8" group at 200 yards. Thanks again for the info. I can hardly wait!!! This is my first trip to Africa and I am already hooked! The preparation is just plain fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The kill zone is actually about the size of a Canadian moose. Both weigh in the 1200 to 1600 lb range.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I like to imagine the bullet going through the middle of the barrel that is the chest cavity. and maybe a little to the front half of the "barrel".
And what NE450#2 said. If you don't see 'em drop, smoke a cigarette or two, or take a 10 minute break before follow-up--gives 'em time to weaken a bit if they decide on ambush revenge.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You shoot buffalo the same as anything else. Half way up just right behind the leg,about halfway up from the brisket, on a broadside shot. They may go 5 or 10 yards and then fall over.

Apparently alot of "well-placed" shots aren't. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A wise purchase would be Kevin Robertson's "The Perfect Shot" Africa or the mini-edition of the same. Study it.

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
The kill zone for mine was about 2 miles Big Grin

Took out one lung and nicked the other one and it still went for a walk.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capehunter1

Sounds like you got a good plan.

Good luck on your hunt. Let us know what happens.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Without getting toooooo complicated, here are some simple (basic pictures) from my FAQ website to use as a guide ..

Cheers, Peter
----------------------

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kill zone, or no kill zone, it seems that no matter what, the inumeurable variables that go into any shot guarantee this: There is "NO" guarantee that even a perfectly placed shot with the perfect bullet will drop him in his tracks.

I've shot a couple and got lucky...Saeed and Ray can attest to the fact that every one reacts differently with highly unpredictable results.

Robertson's book, a lot of target practice (at really close ranges) and good, proven equipment will liken your chances for sucess. A really good PH will also help you with proper shot placement information.

Just remember this: Shot and shot a bunch if you get the chance...These ain't Whitetails!!

A lot of folks shoot once, raise-up their heads to see what happened and off he goes...Seen it happen....Nothing shameful at all in sticking extra holes in DG when the opportunity presents itself.

This is why I prefer doubles for DG - you get 2 really fast shots on target without having to change the position of your weapon.

JMHO,

Jeff

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The "problem" with the picture of the buffalo is it has no lungs! They extend much further back than shown.

Best thing you can do is throw the "Perfect Shot" in the trash and do as I told you. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing that worked well for me was the video "Boddington on Buffalo". I studied the killzones depicted in the video and memorized them, plus a lot of other interesting stuff, and it worked for me.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could kill them or you could REALLY kill them.Which way do you want to do it Capehunter?If you really want to kill them shoot HIGH and behind the shoulder.Take it from someone who does things intelligently. Wink thumbDon't listen to all the CRAP advice from wannabe hunters. thumbdown

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capehunter,
research some of the ABOVE posters posts history before you decide on which recommendation to go with. And after that, when you get to camp, ask your PH for his advice. Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
You could kill them or you could REALLY kill them.Which way do you want to do it Capehunter?If you really want to kill them shoot HIGH and behind the shoulder.Take it from someone who does things intelligently. Wink thumbDon't listen to all the CRAP advice from wannabe hunters. thumbdown

Shootaway,

Its one thing to attack, annoy and give your inexperienced, gratuitous (wrong) opinions those of us who have actually hunted dangerous game in Africa. We know, from real experience, how full of it you are. But giving your advice, based on experience you don't have, to a fellow genuinely in need of good, experienced advice is just brainless. But then...

Capehunter,

Get the book, get the video, listen to your PH and you will do just great. Good luck enduring the wait for your safari! Better luck on your safari!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
Without getting toooooo complicated, here are some simple (basic pictures) from my FAQ website to use as a guide ..

Cheers, Peter
----------------------

Capehunter1, the one mistake most hunters, new to Cape buffalo hunting, make is, they shoot too high, from every angle!

Look at the picture above, and notice the bone structure! The "ELBOW", the "SCAPULA", and the point of the shoulder, with an imaginary line drawn between the ELBOW, and the back edge of the SCAPULA, forms a triangle. this is the deadly triangle on the buffalo,from the side, and the most lethal portion of this triangle is the bottom 1/2 of the triangle. Now, follow the line of the lower leg from the knee up to about 5" above the rear point of the elbow, and your bullet will get both lungs, and the heart. The BLUE portion of the picture is supposed to represent the lung, but Will is right, that blue should be quite a bit larger, extending down from the top/back of the blue, in the picture, and angle down to just behind the pointy part of the elbow, almost connecting with the bottom, back side of the heart (red), and you have your Buffalo!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"after that, when you get to camp, ask your PH for his advice."

There it is!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will: Veterinarian Dr. Kevin Robertson's "The Perfect Shot" does show side and frontal views of cape buffalo with full lung and heart diagrams. You might be referring to Balla Balla's use of African Hunter Magazine's "Proper Shot Placement Guide", above. Of course, actual hunting experience cannot take the place of a book, but Dr. Robertson's and African Hunter Magazine's books are indeed useful to prepare you.

<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Per Shootaway -

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Will: Veterinarian Dr. Kevin Robertson's "The Perfect Shot" does show side and frontal views of cape buffalo with full lung and heart diagrams. You might be referring to Balla Balla's use of African Hunter Magazine's "Proper Shot Placement Guide", above. Of course, actual hunting experience cannot take the place of a book, but Dr. Robertson's and African Hunter Magazine's books are indeed useful to prepare you.

I guess that is true if you have never been told where to shoot.

Besides great marketing, The Perfect Shot is quite silly, IMO. Every broadside shot on every animal from a mouse to a moose to an elephant is exactly the same! Right behind the front leg.

If you superimpose all the pics in that book, they're all the same shot!

I have seen guys dutifully cramming on the airplane, studying every pic for every animal. Good grief.

I would hate to have to worry about aiming differently on every animal encountered in Africa. Talk about being paranoid. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, stop looking at the pictures and read it, you'll find it's far from silly. Kevin's book is not popular because of the diagrams, it's popular because of what he has to say about the diagrams. BTW if you want a gut shot giraffe follow Will's advise. Wink

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for all the responses guys. I learned a lot. I will make sure I speak with my PH (Johan from Bahati Safaris) about this too. Thanks again everyone! I will post pics when I get back.

Monte

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will be looking forward to your pics!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter:
Per Shootaway -

That is a majot flinch shot clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monte:
Don't approach your cape buffalo hunt with the assumption you as the shooter has a large kill zone. Embark on the hunt with the mindset that the proper kill zone is very small. The less room you allow for error when you're looking at the animal through your scope, the more precise you'll place the shot. If you can approach it that way, you can aim for the heart and make a direct hit. Instead of an 18" circle on the shoulder, shoot for a 4" circle. Don't just try to get the bullet "somewhere close". Place it exactly where it will result in the quickest, cleanest kill. Close enough isn't always good enough with dangerous game.

Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter:
Per Shootaway -

That is a majot flinch shot clap

That is a very nice drawing of a cape buffalo, but the shot placement, is a study in where NOT to shoot a cape buffalo

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Last year, I hit a bull just as shown in the phot.

It was not intentional, as you can see above the bullet hit a branch, deflected and hit the bull sidewas.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Hit a branch? You shot THROUGH a branch. I gather the bullet was lying just under the skin.

BTW, I think it tumbled because your twist is wrong forcing a pronounced yaw. dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot a buff with a Lott from a PROPERLY MAINTAINED rifle,with the CORRECT LOAD and a TSX or Northfork cup point in the area I described,and he doesn't fall stone dead in the very spot he was standing,then tell me about it. Wink thumb

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

This is how the heart of that buffalo mentioned above looked.

Anyone likes to venture a guess what destroyed his heart like this?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

shitaway, obviously the stent in your brain hasn't been tapped in a while and the fluid's pressing against your #9 shot-sized brain you microcephalic moron.

jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another yes vote for Dr. Robertson's book. I was very surprised at the location of the organs in the cats. I'm glad I saw the book before I shot my leopard. Almost every PH I've hunted with has a copy and uses it. It doesn't seem silly to me.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
shitaway, obviously the stent in your brain hasn't been tapped in a while and the fluid's pressing against your #9 shot-sized brain you microcephalic moron.

Darn, pretty soon Jorge is going to start getting personal!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
Cape...I am hunting Buff. with Bahati in 2009 through Ken Moody...Please let me know how it goes, I look forward to hearing about your hunt...Keep me posted...

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Darn, pretty soon Jorge is going to start getting personal!
Peter.

We are each free to agree or disagree. But I see no need for personal attacks. Especially by someone that recently needed to apologise to Saeed for his use of personal attacks, saying it wouldn't happen again.
May be time to reintroduce him to Mickey!
**Edited to say jorge was the original quote not Peter.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Tell you what there Terrence, CATS, Wynwood, Alp#4, jorgie, etc., the SECOND you admit who you are and how you've permeated this and other forums with your lies, fake pictures and stories who, like shootaway's only seen buffalo in pictures, we'll call it even. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Why doesn't everyone simply put SHOOTAWAY on their IGNORE LIST, and cure you ulcers! My life has been so much better since I kicked the SHOOTAWAY HABIT! boohoo

........Key word "IGNORE" That guy is not only wrong, but is dangerous as well! My guess is about twelve years old!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet another thread reduced to name calling by the same old style poster.
I guess he sees 1 buffalo and the finishing off of a cripple under his belt the same as a rag mag article becoming a novel in his eyes. Roll Eyes

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
To get back on topic, Boddington's video is very good. Both Craig and Andrew Dawson give and illustrate the kill zone.

At least I tell the truth in MY ADMITTED limited experience. How many have you shot, Terrrence? (ALP#4 to those that don't know the track record and of course he'll make up some lame excuse on how he doesn't or won't post pictures) And for the record, for once again you are at variance with the facts (that's called lying), my apologies were directed at a forumite that mistankingly thought I was directing my comments to him, when in actuality they were to you, for your usual prevarications. And just how did you know about my buffalo as I've neverposted that number here? That's because you saw that under your other name (MocassinJoe) over at 24 Hour Forum where you also stir up shit.

Terrence you're even dumber than you appear to be. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member