THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Another superb Zambezi Valley elephant bull taken with Roger Whittall Safaris

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another superb Zambezi Valley elephant bull taken with Roger Whittall Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted
Hello

I returned from the Zambezi Valley yesterday. I was hunting an elephant bull with Don Adams from New Zealand and PH Richard Tabor. On the 7th day, after many approaches were made and many bulls turned down, Don took an excellent 65 pounder. The hunt was most fulfilling for all involved and an added bonus was that I managed to film the taking of the bull. Needless to say, Don is over the moon, as are all at RWS. Congratulations to both Don and Richard. PH Tabor has conducted two Zam Valley elephant bull hunts so far this year, and his average reads 65.5 pounds! I am posting some pictures for your enjoyment. Will post a hunt write up in the next day or two.

Dave

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wonderful bull!!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! What is Don's double rifle make and caliber? How many shots? How close? etc. etc. etc. We're all waiting with bated breath. . .

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Lovely! For that kind of ivory Chewore South may have the cheapest elephants in Africa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Most excellent! Enquiring minds want to hear more....

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
That is a nice bull. Thanks for posting it!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
beautiful bull, congrats!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good on you guys !!! thumb

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Way to go...Great ele.... thumb

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys about this hunt. I am very busy writing hunting journals for a couple of hunts, and though I hate to admit it, have been neglecting my favorite site somewhat! Another problem is that I don't have broadband access here in Harare and have to rush about making a plan. Once the journals are done, I shall send you excerpts from them, if you would like. I have only been on two hunts thus far, but after this ten day break have a hectic season planned.
June/July/August is going to be all about lion, elephant, buffalo and leopard in the Zambezi Valley and I am extremely excited about that.
RayRay - by the time you arrive in August I will be well warmed up my friend! Anyhow,this is briefly what happened on the Don Adams elephant bull hunt.

We spent the first couple of days familiarizing ourselves with the area - working riverbeds and looking for promising bull spoor. During that time, we saw many elephant and heaps of other game. A couple of follow-ups were carried out and a number of bulls turned down. We saw 11 bulls on the first day - all between 20 and 40 pounds. From then on we averaged about half a dozen bull sightings a day and PH Rich Tabor turned down a 47/48 pounder on the third day. This was all very well, but I must admit I did get a little twitchy when he turned down a 50 pounder on the fifth day! Rich actually ended up turning down two potential fifty pounders and those decisions transpired to be worthwhile risks. We averaged one tracking session a day for seven days before we found the right bull.
At first light on the eighth day, we crossed the very fresh spoor of two bulls, one of which left a sizeable worn track. The follow-up was done through light sand jesse and was a relatively simple affair. After about 30 minutes, still wiping sleep from our eyes, we almost walked into the first bull, a low whistle from Rich alerting us all. The bull was adjudged to be a thirty pounder and we retreated, giving the elephant a wide berth and soon picking up the more promising track again.
Ten minutes later and we spotted 'The Bull', feeding in a small clearing, quartering away from us. A quick glimpse through his binos and Rich turned to Don. "Over fifty," he said. A nod from Don and it was on, as was the video camera. It's amazing how fast it all happens when it happens, isn't it?
Rich and Don walked up to within ten yards of the bull and it swung around, towering above them. Don shouldered his .470 Mercel and, going for a frontal brain shot, let drive. The shot was a little high and the bull staggered backwards a pace or two. Don unleashed the second barrel into the elephant's chest and it turned to make off. Whilst Don reloaded, Rich gave the fleeing bull an anchoring hip shot with his .470 Krieghoff, which stopped it, turning it side on. Reloaded, Don delivered the coup de grace - a classic side brain shot that buckled the massive bull's back legs and brought it crashing to earth. Though I have that last great shot well recorded on film, nothing will ever better what I have imprinted in mind. Once the initial celebrations were winding down a tad, Rich re-judged the bull at 60 pounds a side. When we extracted the tusks a few days later, they weighed in at 65 and 62 pounds respectively. Don Adams is one happy hunter.

I will tell you some more about the hunt in due course.

Cheers
Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and for all the others you have given this season!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David
Great pictures!

Can you comment on the safety issues in Zim.? The U.S. State Dept. bulletins have some of us worried.

Thank you

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
David,
Thanks for the great pics and info and getting me excited about my first DG hunt.

I second Oldcoyote's question - any info you can share on getting into and out of Harare? I have to overnight there and was curious as to the situation, and if anyone had any safe hotel recommendations..?
Thanks!

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote