Find
Notify
Tools

Retreever's AR buf hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Way to go Mike and Pierre. Sounds like a great elephant!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping clap cheers thumb salute Big Grin SIX FEET-ONE INCH TUSKS!!! HOLY SMOKE!!! THAT, PLUS HUGE LEOPARD,

PLUS HUGE CROC, PLUS HUGE HIPPO, PLUS NICE OLD BUFF, PLUS ALL THE OTHER GAME IS FANTASTIC!!!
SHALL A LION MEET HIS END? LET US SEE - LET US SEE!!!!!!!
wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Damn!

Mike should be beside himself. I'll bet we'll be able to see the smile in San Francisco when he lands on the East Coast Big Grin

We're still hoping he nails a nice lion ... that would make it a perfect trip! Indeed, the hunt of a lifetime. Congratulations are in order.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping
Twenty DRSS members are shouting and yelling at Camp Cooley! Well Done, congratulations on a fine elephant.

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunt!!!!!!!!! A hunt of a lifetime!!!!

cheers clap

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That's a hunt of ten lifetimes...whether Mike gets a lion or not.
beer

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retreever,

That's a fantastic safari so far! A monster croc and a great ele ( 60 lbs ) are just great Selous trophies. You must on cloud nine!

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
jumping clap cheers thumb salute Big Grin SIX FEET-ONE INCH TUSKS!!! HOLY SMOKE!!!

THAT, PLUS HUGE LEOPARD, PLUS HUGE CROC, PLUS HUGE HIPPO, PLUS NICE OLD BUFF, PLUS ALL THE OTHER GAME IS FANTASTIC!!!

SHALL A LION MEET HIS END? LET US SEE - LET US SEE!!!!!!!
wave

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A 60 pounder! What a feat! Now I just know that lion will have a big black mane! Go get 'em, Mike!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
What block are you in with PVT?

Sounds like a heck of a hunt!Cant wait to see pics

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hi Kudubull,

This is Matt, Mike's son. I am pretty sure they are in R2...although that isn't with 100% certainty.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A true "trip of a lifetime"! Congratulations on outstanding trophies and an adventure that few will rival.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Ya Hoo!!!!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Victoria here. I heard from my dad this morning...I was anxiously awaiting the story of the lion. He told me that the lions are all safe. After he took that monster ele, he retired. He has spent the last 2 days relaxing and recovering from the several weeks of intense hunting.

He gave me some exact measurements on the ele. The left tusk is 50 inches from the lip, 17 in circumference; the right tusk is 52 inches from the lip, also 17 in circumference.

It has truly been the hunt of a lifetime. The successes are more than he ever thought. Yes, he readied himself for more than a year, but you never know what the bush has in store!

They will be in Dar es Salaam tomorrow, then home sweet home on Thursday. He did not get to meet Saeed, as he and his hunting party are across the river from them.

Gentlemen (and ladies?), it has been a pleasure giving you updates and enjoying your responses. Best of luck on all your future hunts!!

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
A ready made reason to go back! Gotta get that lion eventually. Smiler

Congrats to your Pa on a great hunt. Can't wait for the photos and stories when he gets back.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Congratulations on an extraordinary hunt!

And thank you for keeping us in touch and part of your adventure. Very much looking forward to the pictures.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
That's one heck of an elephant! Congrats again, Mike. Can't wait to hear the full reports and see some pictures.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN, THIS IS GOING TO LIVE WITH YOU FOR EVER!!! salute

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great reading. Congratulations to retreever on a great hunt. Enjoyed the stories almost as they happened. Can't wait to see some pictures!

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must say I was thoroughly entertained by this thread...now on to Saeed's hunt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
NowMike, that's the way to bring off a Safari! Congratulations!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to get all the details! Way to go, Mike!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Hope you didnt wear out PVT. He has us for 7 days at the end of the month. I cant wait to see pics. Have a great flight back.

Congrats on an exceptional safari...One for the books!!!!!!

Ray Matthews
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

one of us
posted Hide Post
wave

Just back from the DRSS shootout at Cooley and am very excited about your success Mike. Every trophy you have described has been a real winner. I am sure the photographs will be outstanding as well and your two reporters have done a superb job of keeping us updated and anxiously waiting on the next bit of news.
VERY NICE INDEED!
Thank you
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap Yes, we all owe a huge thank you to Mike's children, Victoria and Matt for the fine work they performed as the AR thread scribes.

My hat is off to you both! It was lots of fun inserting myself into these hunting moments that you detailed so vividly.

Your family will have a wonderful gathering very soon and all this will be discussed with utmost of detail I'm sure.

Have a great time of it! Hey Mike and Matt, it won't be long before another meeting in Foglesville, Pa. with the BOOMERS.

That including the new FLAG SHIP - THE HAWKS' SEARCY BUILT 577 NITRO EXPRESS...

YAAAHHHOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Jack

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great safari Mike! Many thanks to Victoria and Matt for keeping us all informed. You did a wonderful job and allowed each of us to vicariously go on a Selous safari with PVT.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mike, you are a true humanitarian. Thanks for showing mercy on those lions.

Some of us hope to go back and kill one some time, so it's good to know you left us at least one! Big Grin Cool Wink

All kidding aside, mucho congrats on a truly fabulous safari.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
As I will be hunting with PVT end of sept, I also really appreciate you leaving the lions so I can hear a wild one roar!!!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Won't the Dallas Safari Club meeting in Janurary be pretty darn wonderful this year with a verbal report from Retreever and PVT at the party on Saturday night. I can't wait for the stories that aren't internet politically correct!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Friends,

Thank you for all of your comments and reports on my AR safari...We are in Dar 11:15 am fly our in 12 hours...Printed all of your posts and will read on airplane back to USA...
Will talk to all in a few days...I am so thrilled that my daughter and son kept all in the loop...

Asante sana,

Mike & Cherie

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike, sounds like one Hell of a hunt!

Rest up, then fill us in on all the minute details at your leisure.

You surely proved yourself worthy of the trip of a lifetime!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen - Judge. Way to go Mike!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very Enjoyable Reading...Thank-You All

Posts: 24 | Location: WNY-Bergen | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My sincerest congratulations. A great time and good trophies. What more could you ask for? Your kids did a great job narrating the whole safari and their enthusiasm for your success came through loud and clear. Once again congratulations.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Won't the Dallas Safari Club meeting in Janurary be pretty darn wonderful this year with a verbal report from Retreever and PVT at the party on Saturday night. I can't wait for the stories that aren't internet politically correct!

Glad I got my room booked for DSC. clap

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
WOW, if this doesnt just stir my desire more and more. I cant wait to hear the details. 11 days left until the selous with PVT.

Do you think I can fit into your bag on your next trip?

Ray Matthews
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Just to let you know that I had the pleasure of meeting Mr & Mrs Retreever Wink last night. - We had a good dinner with great conversation and then met up again this afternoon. They are wonderful people and Mike is a true hunter........ I've just seen them onto the airport shuttle bus for the beginning of their loooooooonnng journey home. - My guess is you can expect to read their first report in 24-36 hours from now. - I'll probably be in the bush by then, so will have to wait a few weeks to enjoy the read.......... cheers for now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

It should interest you to know that your leopard is 2" larger than the Leopard of Rudraprayag Jim Corbett shot.

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful hunt! It was great to read about it as it unfolded.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
WARNING...TO ALL GOING TO NOT BACK SCOPES IN CARRY ONS...
I WAS STOPPED BY TSA AND THEY DAMNED NEAR TOOK MY SCOPES...THEY ARE GUN PARTS AND THEY MAY NOT BE IN CARRY ON LUGGAGE...I SPOKE TO 2 SUPERVISORS IN BOTH DETROIT AND HOME AIRPORT..
dETROIT WOULD NOT LET ME TAKE AS CARRYONS...SO CAMERAS SCOPES ARE IN CHECKED LUGGAGE AND DID NOT MAKE PLANE...COMING IN LATE TONIGHT...NO LOCKS ON CARRRY ON DID NOT THINK STRAIGHT AND CAMERAS AND MEMORY STICKS AND OVER 1500 IN SCOPES...
Ran from international terminal Detroit to
C 39 gate must be close to a mile to make plane but bag did not...

Mike