Notify
Tools

Retreever's AR buf hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Great news

Mike you better take it slowly, no use hunting everything in 5 days, you got a whole 21 days jumping

Enjoy, may all your dreams come true

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Mike, way to go! Sounds like you, Cherie and Pierre make a good team.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is neat...reading about the hunt as it unfolds!
Bwana Mike ... thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may just be the first live blogging of an African Safari (or almost live anyway).

Keep the updates coming. This is great!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Good! Keep em coming Mike!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great! Great luck getting the leopard so soon as they can be a pain. Good shooting and continue the updates.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is so cool!!! Keep shooting straight!!

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. No report for a couple of days.

After taking such a tremendous bag 2 days into the hunt, the party may still be going on.

Either that or Saeed's warning didn't make it in time.

Mike and Cherie, have a great time, make the most of it and tell us all!

Those of us sitting in offices the same as those we have occupied for 25+ years are eating this up, and waiting for the day our dreams may be reality. And even if that day does not come, we have your experiences to dream about.

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think??? that the original plan was to try to take the lion in the other block (R-4... Ru-4?) where Pierr'es son has been hunting some as an apprentice. Don't hold me to the block, my old mind is weak.

If there are two blocks available, maybe they have to move over to the second one for the lion (about a three hour drive?). I may be wrong, but I believe that such was mentioned once.

Perhaps he just doesn't want to bore us with another buffalo or an mundane elephant or a sable or a kudu or a ...... Eeker

Taking a hippo from the camp would consist of climbing down the bluff in front of the dining area and picking one out. There are usually about 100 in sight at any time.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just a quick report. There is a lion taking the bait, however they won't know how big it is until tomorrow. My dad can barely contain his excitement! They have seen many large and beautiful elephants, however still waiting for that 'Monster.' My dad wanted to know your reactions to his impala. I forgot to tell you...he shot two, one was 24 inches, the other was 26!! That is impressive, right?? My brother's from 2 years ago was only in the teens! I don't have any concept of the sizes of many of these animals. You all will be the first to know when the lion is taken!!!

Victoria

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Victoria,

26" is a beaut as far as impala go.

Glad to hear your Pa is having such a great time! I hope he gets lucky and scores on lion soon.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7 ft 8 inch leopard! For the Selous that is one h**l of a cat! Sure it wasn't 6 ft 8 inch?

26 inch impala of the Southern variety is indeed very good. thumb

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
26" is a beaut as far as impala go.

How about the 24 inch Impala, that's not so bad too!

A monster Leopard to boot!

You go Mike!!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24 and 26 are good, very good but do not confuse with Southern Impala which are a shorter horned animial.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
DOJ, - I hope you don't mind me correcting you. The impala in the Selous are the Southern variety. It's the northernmost area they occur.

East African impala are found in Masailand etc, but not in the Selous.

Bwanamich. I spoke to Pierre last night and 7'8" is correct...... nice pussy cat huh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great going Mike!

In 2004, N'gagi and I met Mike in the Harare Airport. He had just finished his first elephant hunt and was grinning ear to ear. He was like a happy little kid that could not stop smiling.

After this hunt, we will have to call him "The Joker" because he is going to have a permanent smile on his face.

The AR Buffalo raffle could not have gone to a better guy (well maybe N'gagi or me). It is really great to see how much preparation Mike has put in to this and it seems to really be paying off.

It was also pretty cool that Mike took advantage of the opportunity and upgraded the hunt as well.

SAEED, thanks again for doing this. I think we are all getting to enjoy this safari in some way. Can't wait for Mike to get back and share some photos with the stories.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly ...... Mike is a great guy, and I'm excited for him. Can't wait to see him again in Dallas this coming January !!!

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
What a great experience, and only a few days on! We look forward to more!
Jeff

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari, thanks - never to thick headed to learn something new.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed's generosity has benefited all of us. We're all pulling for Mike and his success on the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
August 1 Update:

Hi all, this is Matt, Mike's son. Just got off the phone with my dad, and he got his biggest animal yet...a bull hippo. His teeth were about 22 inches.

Still no lion, but they went off hanging more baits. My mom especially enjoyed driving around in the truck with rotting hippo in the back while they were hanging baits!

They are still seeing absolutely tons of game, including a big bull sable which they couldn't get a shot at.

They were within 25 yards of another bull ele today, but alas, he was too small to shoot. Despite that, they managed to get some great video.

As you can imagine, they are having a fantastic time. Saeed, thank you again for your generosity. Everyone else, thanks for the support, my dad knows everyone is living vicariously through these updates and wishes everyone well.

-Matt

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great update. That's one big bull hippo!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bet Mike has to pinch himself every now and then to make sure it isn't a dream.

What pound test line did he use to reel in that hippo? Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Way to go!!!!

We're all hoping your great luck continues throughout the hunt! Go, Man, Go!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Man, can't wait to see them in Dallas,year! Gonna have some great stories!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Can't wait for your return, to fill in the details!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I for one am eagerly awaiting the next update! How exciting!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we ever going to get him to come back after this?!

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are we ever going to get him to come back after this?!

Physicaly, yes, but I fear his mind will never return nor ever be the same.

What a horrible thing to have, eh?

Get that Lion, Mike!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm not stealing Matt & Victoria's thunder by adding that the Selous is green as hell this year, the bush is ultra thick and the grass very high...... 7 or 8 feet in some places. A lot of their hunting is gonna be real in your face stuff.

They've had rain the last few lunchtimes and heavy rain last night....... the downside of that is that it might make the Lion hunting harder........ The upside is that Pierre is one of the very best and if anyone can find a shootable Lion, he can......... Wink

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Shakari, definitely not stealing our thunder...this stuff is as exciting to me and my sister as it is to you guys. Thanks for the extra info.

-Matt

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I'm enjoying reading this. I have spoken at length to Mike on the phone in the last 6 months, as he previously hunted with the same outfitter and PH I used this year in Zim.

I wish Mike the best on this hunt. We're all in for a load of stories when gets back!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thatsthe way to be. If the hunting gets tuff I am sure Mike will be up to the challenge. Anyone who has the resolve to go through his regime of training is bound to succeed. Even if he has to drag that cat from outa the bush and into the open to shoot it!
Thanks for the update Matt.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Even if he has to drag that cat from outa the bush and into the open to shoot it!

I don't nkow whay but a little sketch popped into my head when I read your post....

PVT Saeed and Walther are lion hunting. They all stop and PVT says, "he's in the bush and he's huuuuuuuge!!" Saeed can't see it from his angle and askes Walter to go in and pull him out of the bush....

I think we've all read and enjoyed enough stories about these two gents to be able to imagine how it unfolds!!

Oh well,Thanks for humoring me. I'll go back to my own little dream world about how I might one day get to Tanz for 21days....

Best Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well, no lion yet, but a great bit of hunting and lots of fun being had!

My dad and Pierre have been chasing buffalo every day. They saw a heard of about 10 the other day, nothing worthy. However, as they were putting up the rifles onto the truck, a beautiful buff trotted right in front of them. My mom said the 'F' work flew about freely and abundantly and off they went running. Dad is enjoying the buff hunting more than anything else.

Yesterday, all hung around camp in the morning. The men were eyeing up an 11 ft croc across the river, but too far for a good shot.

Today they chased buff again, within 20 yards, but that darned grass-too high and too thick.

The elephant hunt continues as well. Dad was within 20 feet of a nice 45, but wants to wait for one at least 50. My mom was amazed at his self control. They also saw a herd of sable...first time ever.

My mom has taken over 500 pics already, and told me about the grasshopper that she saw...the size and color of our North American Cardinal!! My kids oohed and ahhed at that.

As I mentioned above, I'm waiting to hear the excitement in my dad's voice when he has that lion, or monster ele!!

He gets a kick out of the posts already...he is thinking of you all, and appreciates all the excitement.

Victoria

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time, even if the buff, lion and ele are being uncooperative. I'm sure Mike has a grin Ajax couldn't wash off.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wave
Thank you for the update. Please let him know that it is HE who is filling us all with excitement. He will remember I am sure- Tell him this is better than the Saturday afternoon movies we went to see as kids. Each night we are treated to another installment of the
ADVENTURES OF RETREEVER- ELEPHANT HUNTER!
Thanks for the nightly boost.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If Mike takes a 50# plus elephant, since Selous bulls are not short and thick like at some other venues, he will need a pretty good hearth to frame for those long sweeping tusks! A dollar to a dime against anybody that he gets one!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victoria,

Ask your mom if she has had any problems with the toilet pygmies yet. She'll understand.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote