Find
Notify
Tools

Retreever's AR buf hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
It's time!!! The minutes are ticking by and we will be leaving for a dream come true safari...
I will ask Saeed or Don to keep this post at the top while I am on safari, for my daughter or son will update how we are doing...When we can contact them by sat phone.
After our return, I will write about our experiences on safari and have 5 gig cards of photos... thumb

Mike & Cherie clap

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Mike, Have a greet time. Make sure and slow down and take it ALL in. I know your wife and you will enjoy everything. Be safe and take good notes.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Have a great time, buddy.

I bet you had a hard time sleeping last night...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Mike,
The best luck for you and your wife, enjoy the trip and bring us lots of pictures !!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Good luck Mike. Shoot a big one! cheers

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Good luck to you and Cherie. We all hope you two have a great hunt.

I have made this thread "sticky" at the top for your updates.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Have a great time! I'm looking forward to the stories!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your enthusiasm is contageous.... Can't wait to hear your report.

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wiedmansheil, keep us posted. It's the next best thing to being there. I can't go this year. Have a good time. Glad your wife is interested enough to go with you. Some are not. You are blessed. Shoot straight........ at least some of the time.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Mike and Cherie,

Have a safe and sucessful safari!

I want to see what all the double shooting did for you Mike!

Have fun!!!!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Have the ball of your life beer

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give em hell Mikey!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great time!!!!!

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep a diary. We're all envious and will live it vicariously when we read it on your return.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Mike,

We all know that when you are on safari days seem to be much too short. Mad
You will see that those 21 days will pass faster than last week did!

Have the hunt of your life! wave

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You and your wonderful wife have the time of your lives.

Thanks for helping me out with my double buy.

And if you get any decent peirodgies in Africa, let me know!

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Mike and Cherie have a blast!!!

Shoot us a big TUSKER Mike and a big black maned LION!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike and Cherie,
Wish you safe travels and have a great hunt! Y'all deserve the very best!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy every second of the experience the kill is a bonus. Hope you have a good first shot, that is the best charge stopper. thumb

Wimpie

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Mike should be on the charter flying in to the Selous as I write.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good Afternoon to all!! I just got off the phone with my mom and dad...Cherie and Mike!!
They have arrived in camp and my dad's grin is getting larger each minute as hears the hippos yelling. He said he can see them along the river directly from camp. His message to you all, "The guns are sighted in and the adventure of a lifetime begins!" In addition, they met AR member Joel Wells. The weather is 75-80 degrees...beautiful, as is camp. I expect another phone call in a few days, and will keep you all updated.

Victoria

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victoria:

Thanks for the update. But please tell your pop to quit worry about us back here and instead worry about his own enjoyment!!!!!!!!!!

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Wish we could hook up in Harare again this year. We'll be watching for your posts...

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Mike, To you and your wife, Happy hunting my friend!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike is the best. And his wife is the ultimate.

The trip could not have happened to a better person.

And Mike, we need pictures. Not of you but of the game you are hunting.

I know you will bring the bullets back. And I know that you will recreate every shot.

There are a lot of us here living vicariously through you. Go get 'em!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Have fun Mike. Looking forward to the pictures.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
**Update from the Selous**
Good afternoon to all! My mom and dad called today. The hunt is going well...anyone surprised? Not much sleep due to the noisy hippos, but that didn't stop the hunting! Yesterday morning my dad got a waterbuck...approx 28 inches...nice size for the area they are in. They chased a buff for 5 miles, but nothing came of it. On the way back, saw a large bull elephant, but was told to hold off, there will be many, and much larger. He did take out an old baboon. The GREAT news is that this evening he got himself his first trophy. A 38 1/2 in Dagga Boy. He said is was an old bull, but impressive. Bill, he wanted me to let you know he got him with the 450, 2 shots!! In closing, the bait is out for the leopard and I'm sure there will be many updates to come! What ever did we do before cell and sat phones???

Victoria

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool! Thanks for the update!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt that Retreever's early success is largely due to his determination and dedication in becoming fit and and totally competent with his rifle(s). The man worked hard to "deserve" the largess of Saeed and the good luck he had in winning the contest. No more worthy man could have been chosen...

Ain't it grand when a plan works out. Now let's all keep our fingers crossed for the lion, leopard and elephant...

Hurrah for Mike! clap cheers clap

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jumping

What a great beginning. Of course it all began a year ago and it has been great fun following along. Nothing ensures success like planning and practice.
Go-Go-Go Mike.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We sit at our computers, living out safari dreams through Retreever's adventures.

Thank you for the update!

577NitroExpress

Picture of krisd1
posted Hide Post
Mike and Cherie...have a fantastic time...it is surely the hunt of a lifetime...can't wait to see the pictures and trophies...

be safe...
kris

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
BIG NEWS TODAY!!
At approximately 5pm, my dad bagged a beautiful leopard. 7 ft, 8 inches...most importantly, 1 shot. He is excited beyond words. To add to the count, he also bagged 2 impala, one zebra, and a kongoni, or hartebeest. Oh, don't let me forget, another baboon...this time with some nice sharp teeth!
I'm sure this update will bring a smile to all of you!

Victoria

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attaboy..............A lot of people wish you and your family continued success.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Victoria,

I have a message from Walter for your dad.

Walter says as Mike is so fond of shooting baboons, please make sure Pierre is standing BEHIND him.

As from certain angles it is very hard to tell him from a big baboon!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Great going Mike!
Don't forget, now!, if you you don't feel like hunting one or two days, My passport is up to date and I can fly over and give you a rest for a few days!
jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Way to go Mike!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Here kitty kiity. Nows wheres that lion?

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great news about the leopard, as well as the other game. Keep the updates coming Victoria, and please tell your folks we are thinking of them and wishing Pop continued success. Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote