New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do younwant to hunt now?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The post on cat hunting got me to thinking of what species that I have hunted and been unsuccessful at getting or not hunted as yet that I would like to hunt.
For me, I have made 13 safaris (11 in Zim and 2 in SA) in order of preference the top three are lion. bushbuck and klipspringer. How about you? Also give us some idea of how much African
experience you have.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Elephant, leopard, sable.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Three safaris - the one that haunts me the most was how close I got on sable. I'll like to try that again.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The fifth Safari is coming up in less than 30 days and Leopard will be the main focus.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
RSA x2 (plains game), TZ x1 (cape buffalo)

I haven't had enough experience to be down to a short list of "wants". I really want a croc though, and to hunt more buffalo. A bushbuck and another zebra are also high on the list.

If money was no object, my list would be different...mostly longer. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Buffalo, buffalo, buffalo, elephant, elephant, lion.

Anything on license Smiler

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I've only been on one safari but I do have a trophy most people don't a nyala. The highest on the list is by far a kudu, but like I said I'm a newbie.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
Two trips to RSA for 30days total

1. Caracal (currently Caracals 1, Colin 0)
2. Black Impala
3. Mountain Reedbuck

Colin

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
East Africa: elephant; mountain nyala; Menelik's bushbuck; lesser kudu; cape buffalo; sable; eland; Tommy's; Grant's; beisa oryx; gerenuk; Burchell's (plains) zebra.

Central Africa: Lord Derby's eland; bongo.

West Africa: roan; red buffalo.

Southwestern/Southern Africa: elephant; cape buffalo; greater kudu; gemsbok; mountain zebra; springbok.

Anywhere: lion; leopard.

I can only hope to live long enough . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...more buffalo & blue wildebest - open sights...

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Would like a Grants Gazelle, Leopard, Gemsbok and another Lion plus more Buff, Ele and Eland.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Another buffalo or two, more cow elephant, nyala for the first time, bushpigs (always interested in hunting them but never yet), more warthog, more bushbuck.

I would love to hunt lion and leopard one day.

Some other plains game - I usually take impala every trip and never mind another zebra skin - perhaps Mountain Zebra this time.

Hippo!

Anything in Tanzania or Central Africa.

Too many things I have not hunted and shot and too many I will hunt and shoot again and again. Smiler

PS Three hunting safaris in Zimbabwe, one to Namibia, one to South Africa, in 1994, 2002, & 2006.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant, lion, & Hippo. Those are the realistic, now the dream Mt Nyala, Menelik's bushbuck, Bongo, Lesser Kudu and Sitatunga do you see a patern.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Four trips, so far. Six buffalo...with the first coming in the first hour of the first safari...ruined for life! Also have taken sable, kudu, nyala, impala, zebra, wildebeast, hartebeast and a small truckload of warthogs. Would like to take a leopard but would have to combine that with buffalo...how can anyone go on safari without hunting buffalo???

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Three trips for me (I include going with my uncle back in the early 70s as a kid)but realistically for me:
leopard
gemsbok
Nyala
And always, always more buffalo. I'd DEARLY love a lion, but not on Navy pay! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
going back to zambia in sept for a sititunga and lechwe, and buff next year, but hopefully my future list includes a lesser kudu, bongo and mt nyala. of course that money thing has to interupt things a bit too. i think my 10th is upcoming this year

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lion and bushbuk.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
4 safaris in Zim and 1 in Namibia.

Still batting zero on leopard so that is at the top of the list.
Then more elephant and buff plus eland, klipspringer and sable.

Then if money is available lion.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard, baboon(s), lion, baboon(s), more buff, baboon(s), everything else times two...

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Baboons do intrigue me, but they look too much like a couple of my cousins from Italy.

Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
buffalo,lion, waterbuck,gembuck,warthog for dinner now all i need is money jumping

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
My 3rd safari is nearing and I hope to get the lion that eluded me last time and ideally leaving me enough time in my hunt to also drag an ele home.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6 trips.

ON my top ten list.

Giant forest hog.

Red buff

Big buff bull, I just can't seem crack the magical 40" mark.

Bush buck

Big Bull elephant

Sable

Spotted Hyena (A pair of them for a taxidermy project) Nothing says conversation piece like a pair of "full" mounted hyenas in a full "mating" position on the living room floor. Wink

Eland

Vaal reehbok

More Wildebeest

More Buffalo

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Eleven safaris in the RSA, Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe....

A big elephant bull
Mature lion..........
and buffalo and more buffalo are always at the top of the list. But,

I'd like to hunt in west Africa for roan, NW buffalo and other game indigineous to that area soon.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted most of the before mentioned animals and they made great memeories, but I think some of my favorite hunting was with a .22 Lever action shooting jackrabbits and snakes. My pockets were filled with Meadowlark feet, rattlesnake rattles, more .22 shells, and an occasional horn toad. I just had to make it back in time for dinner, and briefly I was a free man.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
My 3rd will be in 2 months 25 days. It will be to the Eastern Cape for Cape Kudu, Cape Eland, Cape Bushbuck, Lechwe, Bontebuck, Black Springbuck, Warthog, Steenbuck, Grysbuck, Tsesseby, and Vaal Rhebok. Wish lists can be long, right?

My future dream list would include Tanzania for Buffalo, Leopard, Sable, and the other antelope found there.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Moz, the Caprivi, Tanz, with Namibia around Etosha coming up.
Lion, buffalo, ele, croc., impala.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to shoot a quality Lesser Kudu, a Bongo, and an elephant over 100 pounds before I hang it up..

I will probably have to settle for a Lesser Kudu, that's been promised to me...A Bongo is a good probability if I just do it. The elephant is a pipe dream.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
September 2008's safari will be for buffalo and tuskless elephant. Would also like to take a bushbuck, grysbok, hyena.

If ever I'm blessed with a third safari, I'd like buffalo, leopard, sable.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
Sept safari is mainly for Cape Buffalo and Leopard but the one I really want on this safari is a Bush Buck.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Only been once in Namibia.

Going to Zim and RSA next year for buff, nyala, bushbuck and whatever opportunities arise.

Future wishes/plans: sitatungua, bongo, lesser kudu, LD Eland, mt nyala, sable, elephant, mountain zebra. Those are the ones I'd really like to get that I haven't yet. I figure I've got about 30-40 more good hunting years left in me.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
A scrum cap dagga boy like the one I stupidly turned down 2 yrs. ago.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nine hunting trips plus one photo. I'm not much of a fan of cat hunts. I got a good leopard but I find cat hunting too much like work and limits your other hunting. My favorites are:
Elephant
Lesser Kudu
Mountain Nyala (I can dream cant't I?)

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari #5 coming this September. First trip was for PG in RSA, second to Zim, also for PG, and the last two to Zim for buffalo. This year will be my first trip to Namibia. Brother in law coming along on his first trip. After he gets dialed into Africa it'll be back to buffalo, and perhaps a leopard next year. In addition to my two buff, I've been blessed with truly fine heads of kudu, bushbuck and sable, but buffalo are what do it for me.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave in four weeks for my tenth safari.

I want to return to Tanzania and take a Grants, Thompsons, Gerenuk, Lesser Kudu, duiker (if it presents), buffalo and sititunga. If I get the chance, I'd like to get to CAR or Cameroon and take a bongo, harnessed back bushbuck, and a couple of their duikers for my "small wall."

Right now, I am working my buns off trying to finish the addition to my trophy room and get ready for the July trip. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bongo and a Lord Derby would seal the deal for me. Oh, and some major elephant tusks for the entrance to the trophy room.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted plains game in Namibia, Zimbabwe, and three times in S.Africa. Buff in Zambia twice and twice in Tanzania (selous). There are other animals I want to hunt but only if they come along while I'm hunting buffalo. What a great adventure! Stalking bushbuck ain't bad either. I'm just thankful for the opportunity.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have two trips to Namibia, but for a total of 30 days hunting. Need to try another one or two more trips for buffalo, Grant's gazelle, a huge impala, good nyala, bushbuck, reedbuck, lechwe and anything else. Probably 2009 for the next trip, before retirement.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
Only one trip so far to SA. On our next trip, my wife really wants a waterbuck. I would like one as well, along with a nyala, and another (and larger) kudu. If the money is there, a sable and buffalo.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 24-month time frame. (I hunt every other year.) In 2008 I hunt buffalo and sable. In 2010 I don't have a clue. Maybe I'm done, for all I know.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote