New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a farm or ranch in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone ever give any thought or look into buying a place with game in Africa? RSA or Botswana? I have been looking, just don't know all the pro's and con's.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
kudu56

We personally own/operate TWO private game ranches within South Africa, Limpopo Province.

More correctly we PREVIOUSLY OWNED TWO, we now totally own one, as the other is subject to a land claim (which we have in theory settled) and are in the process of hunting relocating and selling the game that exist upon the ranch.

We still (live and operate 100% on the claimed ranch) as per normal, so in reality (nothing has actually changed) at this point in time, and until we (clear all the animals) nothing will change, so we are should we say sitting pretty (-:

The other ranch we own in SA is (subject to a land claim, it has been gazetted) BUT knowing the system and (how long it takes) we might still be on the place for many years to come as just because a claim is gazetted THAT DOES NOT mean it will progress or succeed, it has to stand the test of the legal system which is inherantly VERY SLOW

The SA government (I think) is running VERY short of MONEY to pay the ranch owners so the status quo remains, we therefore have an asset which in theory BELONGS to the Claimant but we still live operate and enjoy all tre fruits of the land, and we also (own all the animals outright) within, so life is quire rosy in fact

In Zambia we (own three private ranches) totalling some 14,000 acre +- and there are NO problems in Zambia, as land is truly very abundant and UNDERUTALISED and the Governement has a (good system in place) for investors.

The European Union ALSO has some form of legal covenant / guarantee in place to protect the land owners, and as we ALL KNOW the Worldbank & International Monetory Fund have TOTALLY wiped all of Zambia's millions / billions of debt .... Whoopeee that is good for investors and BAD for overseas taxpayers !!!

I dont know much about Botswana.

So regards SA just look carefully into the land claim issue prior to purchase consideration

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I know of one ranch in RSA; 10K acres, prime cattle, horses and game. $4.3 million USD. But with the land issue, you'll never know when they come knocking. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6822 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
David,

That ranch is going at prime US land rates, eh? And most people who post here would tell you they would not hunt on it because 10,000 acres isn't big enough. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
One thing to remember is that if you're not there physically or have a reliable caretaker, there's a good chance the locals will poach your animals and scavange anything they can.

I know of one guy in Botswana that had a small game farm. He had his entire impala herd poached; the locals cut his fence and set their dogs in. The dogs ran the impala up against the fence where they were speared.

When he returned six weeks later, five miles of his 2.4 meter steel game fencing had simply disappeared.

Caveat Emptor

S.

posted Hide Post
"I had a farm in Africa".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LDK

That 10,000 acres at $430 per, seems a bit steep. but certainly cheaper than US prices, well around here anyway. [or was that R4,300,000? Smiler]

Depending on infrastructure it may be not too, too bad a price [fantastic lodges, thriving existing business ] but it is typical of the situation there now I think. Everyone is trying to get US prices for RSA land - and given the unpredictability of the future there, a risk adjustment needs to be factored in.

My friends there do not encourage their friends here to buy RSA land now.

But all that said it is very, very tempting still. Maybe a smallish place, investing only money you could survive without? With a trustworthy caretaker.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Argentina, $40/acre. Red stag, boar, doves, perdiz, etc...

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
kudu56

We personally own/operate TWO private game ranches within South Africa, Limpopo Province.

More correctly we PREVIOUSLY OWNED TWO, we now totally own one, as the other is subject to a land claim (which we have in theory settled) and are in the process of hunting relocating and selling the game that exist upon the ranch.

We still (live and operate 100% on the claimed ranch) as per normal, so in reality (nothing has actually changed) at this point in time, and until we (clear all the animals) nothing will change, so we are should we say sitting pretty (-:

The other ranch we own in SA is (subject to a land claim, it has been gazetted) BUT knowing the system and (how long it takes) we might still be on the place for many years to come as just because a claim is gazetted THAT DOES NOT mean it will progress or succeed, it has to stand the test of the legal system which is inherantly VERY SLOW

The SA government (I think) is running VERY short of MONEY to pay the ranch owners so the status quo remains, we therefore have an asset which in theory BELONGS to the Claimant but we still live operate and enjoy all tre fruits of the land, and we also (own all the animals outright) within, so life is quire rosy in fact

In Zambia we (own three private ranches) totalling some 14,000 acre +- and there are NO problems in Zambia, as land is truly very abundant and UNDERUTALISED and the Governement has a (good system in place) for investors.

The European Union ALSO has some form of legal covenant / guarantee in place to protect the land owners, and as we ALL KNOW the Worldbank & International Monetory Fund have TOTALLY wiped all of Zambia's millions / billions of debt .... Whoopeee that is good for investors and BAD for overseas taxpayers !!!

I dont know much about Botswana.

So regards SA just look carefully into the land claim issue prior to purchase consideration

Cheers, Peter

Which of these two ranches was the one you were trying to sell Saeed a couple of years ago?

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
having a ranch there would be so cool.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
Which of these two ranches was the one you were trying to sell Saeed a couple of years ago?

Hi Gatorl

I was not selling it direct to Saeed per se, I only floated the ranch idea as a potential sale for the general forum guests, but then when we were advised formally that it had been gazetted as a land cliam ranch I revoked the offer.

This is the main lodge lapa area on the land claimed ranch - property is over 6,000 acre

This one of the double chalets on the claimed ranch, there are 2 x double + 1 x 4 bed chalets

We only heard about our (second SA ranch claim) about a month ago, so that will (NO DOUBT) drag on infinitum I guess !!!

No worries, we carry on like nothing happined and continue hunting on the SA ranches

In Zambia we are progressing a (multi-million dollar) Exclusive VIP developement in conjunction with a South African luxury lodge development company (ARCON AFRICA) so we are not standing still at all, life in Africa is busy busy to say the least

Our Zambian (The Wildlife Collection - Born Free) VIP PROJECT will possibly be the PRIME Investment offer for (Wildlife Hunter Conservationists) in all of Southern Africa, with (24 x equity shares) to be on offer once we finalise and tidy up the remaining loose ends, soon.

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote