THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How to distinguish between an Indian Leopard and an African Leopard? ANSWER PROVIDED
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to distinguish between an Indian Leopard and an African Leopard? ANSWER PROVIDED
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
My guess would be that Indian leopards are posed on their sides and African are posed on their stomach

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
PHOTOGRAPHS:
As far as difference in the photos between India and Africa goes my guess is that given everything being the same......the shadows in the Indian photograph will be much smaller than shadows from Africa.

ASIATIC LEOPARD UPDATE:
Pakistan has a good amount of leopards in the Northern areas. There are about 30 leopards in Ayubya National Park alone...ofcourse there is no leopard hunting allowed trophy or otherwise in all provinces. Every now and then a nuisance animal causes problems and a few connected people either from Lahore or Islamabad end up getting the permit to take care of the problem animal.

Usually the $hit hits the fan when some local big shot finds a leopard in his backyard in Islamabad area. Police swat team is usually called in and they take care of the poor animal fairly quickly.

Not really hard to get a leopard cub for a pet either. Many people have them on their farms (I need to dig through some pics).

Here are 3 different leopards, all shot in Islamabad. The one lying on the marble steps was shot by Police. The other two by civilians with permits.

So you say you would love to get one....well time to find some "connected" friends in Lahore or Islamabad can be your ticket...and the willingness to fly your jet there in a few hours Big Grin

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The colouring behind the rossettes,Indian is white, African in brown.
And the in it`s dying breath the Indian Leopard trys to sell you curry

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the in it`s dying breath the Indian Leopard trys to sell you curry

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhaaa

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Indian leopards are looking at the camera.

Panthera Bolywoodicus Big Grin

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Indian leopards are looking at the camera.

Panthera Bolywoodicus

F.G you are a clever man Wink

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckear:

Smiler Smiler Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
To hazard a guess I would say the African Leopard is carefully posed for photographs. Indian Leopard were not safari hunted as such and were shot as problem animals, and therefore these animals were photographed but not posed as such. A good example would be that you will not find any photographs from India where as the Leopard is being held up in the typical bear hug pose?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Fairgame - you are pretty close in my opinion...except for a few minor issues. Leopards were hunted as game in India quite commonly. Most were hunted with shotguns and LG buckshot. The big issue is the period of the 60's & earlier when camera technology was old. The tradition was often to dress up in full gear for the photos & pose standing over the animal. Even if formal dressing up did not happen, the pose was always of an animal on its side. I have never seen a photo of a leopard being held up or wrapped around the neck until I started checking the web for African trophy photos in the last 12 years or so.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. A couple of you have got it. Nakihunter I believe was the closest. The clue is the one photograph that seems to be common in every African Leopard hunters photo session with his Leopard and thats the one with him or her holding the leopard up. I have never seen an Indian hunter pose in this manner with his Leopard.

I personally think this way of posing has probably come down from an American cougar hunter going over to Africa, grabbing hold of his Leopard and hoisting it up. The PH must have said hmmmmm, thats a novel picture and from there it caught on!

What was surprising to me is that everyone tried to figure out what an Indian Leopard looked like after I said that there was no difference between the two Smiler.

Thanks Ladies and Gents for playing, I will have to see if I can come up with another one!!!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

What was surprising to me is that everyone tried to figure out what an Indian Leopard looked like after I said that there was no difference between the two Smiler.

You must be new to the internet.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
A good example would be that you will not find any photographs from India where as the Leopard is being held up in the typical bear hug pose?

I think you'll find that such poses would have been considered "disrespectful" by your typical British or Colonial hunter of that era, who were by an large of a very conservative type back then.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. A couple of you have got it. Nakihunter I believe was the closest. The clue is the one photograph that seems to be common in every African Leopard hunters photo session with his Leopard and thats the one with him or her holding the leopard up. I have never seen an Indian hunter pose in this manner with his Leopard.

I personally think this way of posing has probably come down from an American cougar hunter going over to Africa, grabbing hold of his Leopard and hoisting it up. The PH must have said hmmmmm, thats a novel picture and from there it caught on!

Thanks Ladies and Gents for playing, I will have to see if I can come up with another one!!!

Why don't Polar bears eat penguins?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Might have something to do with the fact that penguins do not inhabit the Arctic where the polar bears hang their hats...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

Might have something to do with the fact that penguins do not inhabit the Arctic where the polar bears hang their hats...

Kamo Gari,

I thought I might have got more milage out of that one?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Kamo Gari,

I thought I might have got more milage out of that one?

Oops. Apologies there, chap. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timbakile:
It "bobs" its head from side to side when it growls

that is just too funny

rotflmo

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reddy 375

Thanks for your at long last "explanation". I was glad to read about your sideswipe at an "American" hunter supposedly holding up a cougar. Maybe that was because most American "cougars" "pumas" "mountain lions" weigh in the vicinity of anything from 90 to 150 lbs - Gee! Isn't that just about how big the big terrible dangerous African leopard weighs? You know, guys, the one that no "American) rifle cartridge (according to you types) like the 30-06,180 gr. ever would plant. Your 375 H&H? Well, maybe, according to what you tell newcomers to Africa. I'm not impressed -and I was in leopard country (Chirisa) I perfectly well concede that African animals can be tough to put down - but, please, leopards are medium sized cats,thin skinned and I would have trusted my 7mm Mauser (7x57)with a 154 gr. Hornady to plant him.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
quote:

yuck

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
quote:

Big Grin

Nice article on Leopards. Check middle of third paragraph.
http://www.sheppardsoftware.co...ricauniquefact26.htm

Certainly the pose Reddy375 mentions appears new for leopard hunters since general hunting has been closed in India, Although I would bet that some of the problem leopards killed there in the recent past by Indian Game Managers have been held in similiar poses--and just not available yet on the net.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

could also be that polar bears don't inhabit the Antarctic where penguins hang their hats- along with RSA, AUS., Galapagos Islands. etc.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote