New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Capstick
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just located a 470 capstick at my local dealer its used ,model 70 winny but appears ingood cond.I already own a 375 h&h which Iv'e used successfully in sa, my question is ,do I really need another big bore?,if so how do I tell my wife?

i own a 375

Posts: 40 | Location: Scio, Or. | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Yes, you do, and for the same reason that I have two .375s but want to get a .458 Lott. Because you can always use another rifle.

The way that I handle it with the wife is that I have so many guns anyway she never notices when another one shows up. She thinks they all look pretty much the same anyway. I think with some women there may be a sort of critical mass that you reach as far as number of guns and once you're past that point you can keep bringin 'em home and she'll never notice. The ole "I'm planning to sell some guns on GB to pay for this one works good too".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the go ahead adrook, do you know any thing about the 470's ballistics as opposed to the 375 or 416rigby which I also have.
don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Sorry to say I'm not that familiar with it.

There are some forum members who own them. You might also trying posting about it in the Big Bores forum.

Here's a couple of prior threads:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/.../424103321#424103321

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/.../r/33010908#33010908

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Similar to adrook's advice, try the phrase, "this ol' thing, I've had this damn rifle for years, thinking about selling it though, what do you think". Turns the focus around to them, and in the end, it's all about them, right?

Sure you need another, surprised you even felt the need to ask.

Mike

Posts: 21321 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Don:
just located a 470 capstick at my local dealer its used ,model 70 winny but appears ingood cond.I already own a 375 h&h which Iv'e used successfully in sa, my question is ,do I really need another big bore?,if so how do I tell my wife?

i own a 375

Sounds like ,maybe you need a "don't ask, don't tell policy"! Or maybe you need to buy her something at the same time. You can always use another, even if you don't need it.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
big don, of course you need a capstick, especially a winnie, as for the wife just do like i have lots of times. Just leave the house with an empty gun case and when she sees you you just tell her that your going to the gunshop to get your scope boresighted, when you get there throw your new rifle in the empty case and when you return home the wife will notice your only returning with what you left with.hehe

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Don:
thanks for the go ahead adrook, do you know any thing about the 470's ballistics as opposed to the 375 or 416rigby which I also have.
don

470 capstick - 500 grain bullet at 2350 fps.

You will not need a .416 after buying the capstick.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Don,

Since when, does NEED have anything to do with buying another rifle?

Feel better now? Good! clap

Let us know how you like it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
go to the gun store and compare the 475 dia. bullets to the 375 and that will tell you a lot. i think the capstick in a m70 win is a no brainer but i understand the wife thing killpc

my wife wants a new several hundred dollar purse every year. i want a new rifle every year. she gets her purse and i get my rifle. i dont understand her purse thing and she dont get my rifle thing...perfect relationship. dont try to make it make sense to her, it wont! you have to weigh the burden of regret vs burden of loss after someone else buys it. i think you will know the answer of most here but that rifle will hold value so buy it and after 200 rounds if you dont like it you should have no problem in resale. get someone to take a pic of the smile on your face when you shoot it. no hurry the smile will last a while Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God I hope I never NEED any thing let alone a gun. My wife always says "you don't need that" and I tell I hope I never NEED anything. I have worked to hard to long for that to happen, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
Back in my youth, when I managed a retail gun store, we had a wonderful young couple that would come in every few weeks. She was always encouraging him to pick out a new gun, never begrudging cost or asking, “What do you need that for?†or, “Don’t you have something like that already?†On one of the few occasions he came in alone, I commented about his wonderful domestic situation. He said that it was the easiest thing to arrange in the world, and was surprised that more men didn’t do it. I asked what he meant. He said that they had a deal. For every dollar he spent on new guns, she could spend a dollar at Sacks, Neiman Marcus or the jeweler’s. Their "fun money" came from the same account, and could be spent dollar for dollar, no more and no less.

When last I saw them, they were still the happiest couple I’d ever seen.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Big Don, I'm not sure if 500 grains has it right. You will probably still need a 416 Rigby, a 404 Jeffery, and a 458 Lott in the big bore bolt rifle category. You will then need at least one, and why not two, double guns. You will then decide, since you bought the best deals you could find, to upgrade to better quality guns in the same calibers. Of course, you will buy the new high grade rifle before selling off that old Model 70 so there will be some overlap and sometimes you will have more than one rifle in the same caliber. You will have long ago swept away any considerations about how many rifles one can take on a safari, generally asked by people who only have one rifle anyway. What will really hurt is buying all those reloading dies.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Get the capstick,
yep, it will do 2350 with a 500gr

and about 2450 with a 400 speer got dot, which is a K A plinking/North American bullet

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38544 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go over to Big Bores and ask George. He has one albeit a lefty but He has mentioned it enough times to make me want one to compare with the .470 AR I want-after I get my barrel and send the rifle to a certain someone we know.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by formerflyer:
Back in my youth, when I managed a retail gun store, we had a wonderful young couple that would come in every few weeks. She was always encouraging him to pick out a new gun, never begrudging cost or asking, “What do you need that for?†or, “Don’t you have something like that already?†On one of the few occasions he came in alone, I commented about his wonderful domestic situation. He said that it was the easiest thing to arrange in the world, and was surprised that more men didn’t do it. I asked what he meant. He said that they had a deal. For every dollar he spent on new guns, she could spend a dollar at Sacks, Neiman Marcus or the jeweler’s. Their "fun money" came from the same account, and could be spent dollar for dollar, no more and no less.

That would mean I could afford less hunting and fewer guns. Frowner

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Guys help me understand something... a 270 grain out of a 375 is ~2690 a 300 is ~2550 but add 200 more grains and the 500 out of a 375 case is still ~2350? How can this round be all of a sudden so effecient at the heavey end. by way of comparison a 458 min mag with a 500 ~ 2090 with a 400 ~2380. appl y that same relative fps gain/loss to the capstick/375 and a 300 grain bullet (375) should go closer to ~2800, shouldn't it?? I must be missing something vital here...

Thanks, Baxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

The 470 capstick has way more case capacity than the .375. The .375 has a sharp taper to it. The 470 capstick is straight-walled. Therefore, the 470 capstick has more powder capacity.

Performance of the 458 win mag is shortchanged by its small case capacity.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
hi 500, thanks for the info. Even with the added mass of the extra 200 grains it gives THAT much more aye? Perhaps you or someone knows the max capacity (water for relative comparison) of the cases?

Thanks again, BAxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys for all input on the 470 cap.I,m heading to the gunshop now with my empty rifle case .This gun is a r/h action and I really want l/h but for the price I,ll just get it restocked unless there is a 470 lefty out there someone needs to unload

thanks for the help Big Donmona

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
jumping

make sure you bring a camera to the range for the range report you will post thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Formerflyer: That's the arrangement my wife and I have had for over 32 years and it works perfectly. Has never meant fewer guns or less Safaris to me, as may be .500 Grain's potential problem.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
UEG - fortunately for you and I our "better halves" do not keep a ledger. In all honesty, I don't think we've ever had that "dollar for dollar" thing. Understanding wives is a better arrangement - remember Maxine? - need I say more?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
No, we haven't exactly kept a ledger, but she knows that she can buy whatever she needs and wants and I'm not going to squawk. And she has told me before that what I buy she gets the same in USD, although I doubt she has ever followed through on it to the letter. We just have very understanding, secure and mature wives. One of our friends' wives requires a written contract with him for every hunt that he goes on whereby she gets the exact amount in return. Needless to say, we don't hunt with him anymore.