New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lion Bullet Choice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which would be better, the 450 grain TSX or the 450 grain North Fork soft point, both at 2250 fps?

I'd hoped to use lighter bullets as I hear higher velocities are better for lion but the zero varies too much from my 450 grain TSX and North Fork solids that I've usee for heavier game.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The North Fork. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I also think that between the two choices given-450 TSX and the 450 North Fork I would go with the North Fork. Should do the job nicely.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indy,

The 4-5-8 has a big frontal area to start with so about any premium expanding bullet will give you a big wound channel and an exit. I would just take the bullet that shot the best in my rifle.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
either is an excellent choice. drop it down to 400 grn if you want the extra velocity. I like 450 grn myself.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the 400 gr NF and no, I do not have any monetary connection anymore.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy with you using either. the .450grn TSX isn't going to open much on a side shot at that velocity, but more than enough to do the job!And if you end up with a going away or comming in shot then a bullet like the TSX, NF or swift is really appreciated.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer the 450 North Fork Soft over any 350gr bullet.

The 350gr is to light in the 458 for lion IMHO.

I shot my lion with my 450/400 double using .408 diameter 400gr Woodleigh Softs.

Worked perfect.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Barnes if they have thier TSX bullets in .458 with the new plastic tip, if so, go with those. Have just taken a leopard with a .308 with this head and opened well through leopard so should work well with lion. Good luck regardless of your choice on the lion.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I opted for the Swift A-Frame from my .458Lott at 50 yards. One shot on a very large Lion who went less than 45 yards before giving it up.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a Cork-Lokt.

Just kidding, I vote for the North Fork, but I do agree with Mark - big bullet, big hole - either will do.
Cat's are not hard to kill. Shot them in the vitals with just about anything and they will readily die. Not so with all African critters.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 grain GS hv bullets would work as well

one of us
posted Hide Post
North Fork soft: solid copper, grooved shank, with a bonded lead nose core.
Like, it's the groovy version of a Jack Carter Trophy Bonded Bear Claw!

Call it the "Mike Brady North Fork Lion Fang."
Bite back at tabby.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rip on the North Fork! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the A-frame-a TOUGH PENETRATOR and GREAT EXPANDER! I don't think you can get the a-frames penetration, toughness or expansion with either the original TBBC(tried that) or the N Fork(have not tried that but it's probably equal to the old TBBC).As an extra,the a-frame will not have your barrels lands for supper and start key-holing prematurely and missing the target.I might hunt lion some day,and if I do I will no doubt use a 500gr a-frame through my lott.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) You don't need penetration on a lion, especially with a .458 WM. You need expansion.

2) North Forks are one of the gentlest bullets on your barrel due to the construct of the bullet. The base of the bullet barely contacts the grooves and the lands obturate into the space between the driving rings.

3) Although the A-Frame is a very good bullet, and I use them, they are a lot tougher on your barrel due to the solid partition between the core sections.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW Shootaway, I'll be hunting lion in August. I will probably use my .416 Rigby with North Forks. A .458 WM will blow right through a lion from any angle with almost any bullet of 400 grs. or more. Remember, a big lion only weighs 500 lbs. or so. Unlike elephant and buff, cats sre susceptible to bullet shock, so velocity and expansion will shake them up pretty good.

Geronimo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thing I caught you in time before your trip,Geronomo! A 458 bullet won't penetrate much more than a 375 because you have a larger frontal bullet diameter to deal with.To get it to penetrate more,you need to increase the velocity and fire it from a larger case.I shot my buff,with my lott,from close up, in the head, right next to the eye and the bullet only made it to the brain where it was recovered(see Selby's post in the 375 lion thread).If you pound the shank of any mono metal,sideways, with a sledgehammer and then that of an a-frame you'll see that the a-frame is not near as hard.BTW,where will you be hunting?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Harry Selby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Good thing I caught you in time before your trip,Geronomo! A 458 bullet won't penetrate much more than a 375 because you have a larger frontal bullet diameter to deal with.To get it to penetrate more,you need to increase the velocity and fire it from a larger case.I shot my buff,with my lott,from close up, in the head, right next to the eye and the bullet only made it to the brain where it was recovered(see Selby's post in the 375 lion thread).If you pound the shank of any mono metal,sideways, with a sledgehammer and then that of an a-frame you'll see that the a-frame is not near as hard.BTW,where will you be hunting?

When my .416 Rigby was away in London to be rebarrelled it took a long two years to get bach to Botswaa as it had to travel through South Africa and politics came into play. In its absence I used a Win Model 70 .458 and as long as the ammo was absolutely fresh ad had not been lying around in the sun I had no complaints. I found that an excellent load for lion was the TBBC 400 gr. semi spitzer. The petals opened up very well creating a very large wound and the 400 grainer increasrd to velocity to close to .416 Rigby Cheers and Good luck.

Posts: 13 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Oh bother, I hope so! If one can't kill a lion with any 458 bullet one has shot them in the wrong place. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
My choice would have been Swift but since that is not a choice I'd have to say the North Fork over the TSX. I have used all three I mentioned in my 416 Rigby with great results except for the 400 grain TSX on a Big Bull Bison. These were the early TSX's and a bit fast at 2550, recovered two of 5 as three went through like solids and one had no peddles and the other two. Everything else we have used TSX's on and all calibers under .416 perfect performance. The North Forks in 416 were picture perfect everyone. I actually shot my Lion using the 400 grain Swift and it gave picture perfect performance as well. A Lion can go down with one shot like mine did and an insurance shot for good measure. However, if things turn on you a Lion can be tough I don't know if the large caliber TSX's still perform as they did for me or not but I will be the first to admit they were moving above Rigby velocity but still within Weatherby velocities-go figure. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyne for your advice. There is a wealth of experience here and I really appreciate it.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd give some serious thought to the new 500 grain Nosler Partition. It will open fast on side shots, yet penetrate deeply on frontal shots.

Recovered from a buffalo

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your concern Shootaway, but I have been hunting dangerous game in Africa yearly since 1995. Having used virtually every caliber from .338 WM to .500 NE on elephant, buffalo hippo, croc, leopard, and numerous species of plains game, I have a pretty good idea how a .458 performs. My choice in bullets is based on my actual observations in the field and not on smashing bullets with a sledge hammer. I will be hunting in Zim, Charara area.

Geronimo

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Either one - placed in the right location - will be the cat's last meow. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Indy;

Sorry the 350's didn't work out for you but I'm sure you'll come up with the right load. Lots of choices and good information here.

I've been invited to deal with a problem bear just a few miles to the south of where I live. Will start baiting in a couple of weeks for the season opening come Sept 2nd. Will be using those 350 TSX's from either the CZ or Ruger No.1.

This bear has caused a lot of havoc to livestock and chased some family members. It goes in the neighborhood of 500 to 700 lbs. Will let you know how it works out.

Best regards,

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I wish they made North Forks for my 500 Jeffrey ...

Frowner

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Hi, and the lion load of A-Square?

Only this;

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Frowner

Chuck

Since they don't. Use Woodleigh Softs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Frowner

Chuck

Call the factory. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. And they can be bribed Wink

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Why would you use anything else?

North Fork 450 at 2550 fps and 400 grain at 2750 fps point blank on buffalo.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.510-caliber North Forks?
dancing
I'll take anything from 535 to 570 grains, please. thumb

I must confess that the one I showed was a .423/380-grain "Original Mike Brady North Fork Lion Fang" that started off at 2526 fps from a 404 Jeffery,
and ended up under the offside hide of a bison bull.
One shot killer.

Some bone was encountered.

I figured the .458/450-grain would do even better on lion, or buffalo, as Andy shows.

quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
North Fork soft: solid copper, grooved shank, with a bonded lead nose core.
Like, it's the groovy version of a Jack Carter Trophy Bonded Bear Claw!

Call it the "Mike Brady North Fork Lion Fang."
Bite back at tabby.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
These bullets seem impressive. Do they made for 458 Lott? I don´t know if I have written well the post in English. Sorry. I am trying write without translator, because I am learning English.

Thank,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oscar,

Your doing just fine!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I'd use the Nosler Partition on lion. Expansion and penetration. This is one of the few scenarios that I would grab the TSX first.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Oscar,

Your doing just fine!

465H&H

Thank you; It is difficult for me, but I will do better bit a bit.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your English is better than my current level of Spanish. Keep going!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I'll use the 450 gr A-frames.
FWIW, the various 450's in softs and solids seem to feed more smoothly than the 500's in my mauser.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote