THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia:Caprivi farmers say animals destroy crops

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia:Caprivi farmers say animals destroy crops
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Namibia: Caprivi Farmers Say Animals Destroy Crops
Brigitte Weidlich
16 June 2009

FARMERS in the Caprivi Region say incidents of wild animals destroying their crops are on the increase.

Speaking at media briefing in Windhoek last week, several traditional leaders complained bitterly about elephants eating their maize and mahangu cobs, while buffaloes are competing for grazing and are blamed for spreading foot-and-mouth (FMD) disease to cattle.

"Several years ago wild animals were afraid to come near our villages and fields to help themselves to our crops, but in the recent past especially elephants have become bolder," said Induna Joseph Sikabelezi.

"They come from the parks and make us poor as we do not have food left to eat when our fields are destroyed our harvests eaten by them. "At least we should get compensated by Government," he added.

Other indunas also put the blame solely at the doorstep of wild animals. Induna John Mzilikazi said some communities in the Caprivi benefited from trophy-hunting concessions. "We also want that in our area, but we live in such a remote part, nobody has come to us yet with such a proposal," he added.

On Thursday afternoon, DTA President Katuutire Kaura tabled a motion requesting the National Assembly to debate on the animal-human conflict in the Caprivi Region and to find a lasting solution.

"Since rural conservancies have been put up in the country, an increase in the conflict between wild animals and humans has been recorded," he said, adding that the people of the Caprivi Region are facing even more problems due to crocodile and hippopotamus attacks.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the one I shot in the Caprivi last year wasn't enough to solve the problem. Guess i better get back up there this summer and whack another one.

Always happy to do my part. Wink

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
I can believe this. Several of the villagers build huts in their fields and keep a fire going all night to ward off the elephants. A villager was also killed by a hippo not long before we arrived in May.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The Chobe River is the southern border of the eastern Caprivi, with Chobe National Park on the other side in Botswana. The park in that area has been decimated by the overpopulation of elephants, and they only need cross the small river to get into Namibia to get to the village crops.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
"They come from the parks and make us poor as we do not have food left to eat when our fields are destroyed our harvests eaten by them. "At least we should get compensated by Government,"

Sounds familiar ...

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote