Tools

DSC 2020
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dallas weather forecast.

https://www.theweathernetwork....weather/texas/dallas

Mother nature wants me to feel at home.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, that scared me a bit! I saw temps in the teens all week. Took me a few minutes to realize they were in Celsius Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Dallas weather forecast.

https://www.theweathernetwork....weather/texas/dallas

Mother nature wants me to feel at home.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jackson Armory
posted Hide Post
Wishing everyone a successful show.
We will not be set up.
(Doc will be in the Heym booth with Chris and Tony)

If you have spare time,please drop by the store-
we have a few Africa capable rifles.
(besides the other 1800 or so)

https://imgur.com/a/XqnrHu2

Jackson Armory
3416 Rosedale Avenue
University Park, Texas 75205

Collector Arms: most periods and types. We buy Collections and Individual Weapons. Also we sell New: Wilson Combat, GunCrafter,Ed Brown, NightHawk, STI, Sig, H&K, Browning, Winchester and others. Inquiries- 214.363.2767. info@jacksonarmory.com; Or Come see us in Snider Plaza near SMU and on the web- www.jacksonarmory.com

Posts: 31 | Location: 3416 Rosedale Dallas, Texas 75205 | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Dallas 9th through the 12th not sure yet what days I'll be at DSC.
Maybe I'll get a chance to bump into a few of you.
Dave Snellstrom

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR logo stickers will be in the AR room starting tomorrow morning, please take only what you need.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
AR logo stickers will be in the AR room starting tomorrow morning, please take only what you need.

Thanks Karl!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is the AR room located exactly?

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thinking of coming by Friday and sat whats a good hotel nearby? The link on DSC website closed.

Thanks for the info never been to this one hear it’s pretty good...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Corsicana is an hour away for road travelers like us. No ice this time (and I've already had the flu.) Staying at Best Western tomorrow night, FWIW.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of you at DSC, the AR room is unlocked and hopefully will stay unlocked, the AR stickers are in the room and, if a group of you can congregate at 1:00 pm or so on Saturday, our executive director, Corey Mason, has agreed to take 30 minutes or so out of his incredibly busy schedule to stop in and meet as many of you as he possible.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Penetrater
posted Hide Post
Thanks karl , as always you have went out of your way and to busy schedule at this event to welcome the members of AR Ill run buy the room tomorrow (Friday ) and grab a sticker ,, thanks again ! see yall later .

Posts: 132 | Location: oklahoma city ,oklahoma ,usa | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Karl, again thank you for all of your involvement with the DSC convention and AR.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Karl, again thank you for all of your involvement with the DSC convention and AR.

Mike

DITTO!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Karl, thank you for all your hard work with DSC, and the AR room.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Karl,
one complaint.
On move out from the mezzanine (gun area)-
there were only a handful of push carts.
Went to the ladies at the Freeman booth by the ramp door and requested more, they replied "there are no more"
My impression was they could care less.

Walked the entire upper area, counted 6 carts , not that I might not have missed a couple--
Just do not think I missed 15 or 20 more hidden away.

OK two complaints--
They cafe food does need a revamp,
(yes I know its convention food and the vendor choices are limited)

Final note- The Volunteers did a great job

Thanks again to all of them.

Doc

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
Thanks for taking time to comment. First...the convention center food was terrible, and the vendor promises every year that it will be better.
Carts...we had only 80 carts, because that is all that were ordered and available. These are the top two items in my list for our after convention debrief.
Thanks for being there.

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which vendors might carry 470NE brass?

I have bought several hundred once-fired over the past few years from Diamond K brass...they were $1 each.

Great for practice loads.

I don't see any there now...but they have it periodically.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I am a Single Malt NUT....would enjoy joining you...and I would like to shake hands with Jorge, and meet other AR followers as well!!
See you there!!
Cheers,

Steve - It was great to finally meet you face-to-face!

Thanks for stopping by John's booth and I sure hope you get a chance for another stroll through the BVC with him.

My offer to serve as gun-bearer and drink pourer stands! Smiler

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Karl

I was at DSC the entire 4 days....from 0900 Thursday through pack-up on Sunday.

I just want to thank you and the entire team of DSC folks for continuing to put on the best show out there.

My only suggestion? Replace the audio announcements with strategically placed crawlers. Most of us who have been around too much muzzle blast can't hear them clearly anyway, and they destroy our ability to communicate with friends and clients.

Thanks again for all you do!

Tim

0351 USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Replace the audio announcements with strategically placed crawlers. Most of us who have been around too much muzzle blast can't hear them clearly anyway, and they destroy our ability to communicate with friends and clients.

Tim

Tim, that's a pretty good idea and I'll bring it up at our convention debrief as well. Might just work and I wish I'd thought of it.

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Replace the audio announcements with strategically placed crawlers. Most of us who have been around too much muzzle blast can't hear them clearly anyway, and they destroy our ability to communicate with friends and clients.

Tim

Tim, that's a pretty good idea and I'll bring it up at our convention debrief as well. Might just work and I wish I'd thought of it.

Thank you Karl.

John Sharp really struggled to talk through the announcements, and he couldn't hear anything while those announcements were going on. I was miserable trying to communicate...he was hopeless!

Pretty sure there are a lot of guys in that boat! Smiler

Tim

0351 USMC

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
A huge thanks to Karl, Dr. Toberman, Corey Mason and the many others. It was another great show and I can’t wait for the final attendance numbers. We at Miles & Miles had a great show. Unfortunately, “life” could only allow me limited attendance and missed the AR room.

I did see Karl pass by, but I was busy talking to potential clients.

The food does stink, although I rarely have time to eat while working the booth. For attendees, I’d suggest taking a break and going to one of the many places within walking distance for lunch to at least take a load off and enjoy a decent meal. It’s hard for exhibitors to take that kind of break. The food options, I believe, are dictated by the convention center. It’s city owned (obviously) and some councilman’s cousin or something like that has the contracts or something similar.

Regarding Freeman; it’s the same thing. Union contracts with union workers. There is no way around that (see above). The other Freeman, Julie Freeman Agency, does a great job as always.

Thanks again to all.

By the way, most of the people that make the convention possible are volunteers. The paid DSC staff is rather small. It’s amazing what can be done and I need to help more in the future.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
While I did not attend this year, the food is problem every year. Might I suggest getting some food trucks set up outside. At least the food will be good and free up some more space. The concessionaire can make its money selling booze.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We always go to the sports bar in the Omni to eat lunch. The food is quite good.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
We always go to the sports bar in the Omni to eat lunch. The food is quite good.

While not lunch, we often go at show close to grab beers with clients or outfitter buddies. It’s a great way to unwind. While it may take too much time for the person there only a day with a full agenda, it makes sense as a lunch spot for those there for a while.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked the show the way it is.I found nothing wrong with it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC was excellent- infact the best show we have ever had. Karl Rebecca Scott Debbie and the whole crew plus volunteers were outstanding! Roll on 2021

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might I suggest getting some food trucks set up outside.

We tried to make this happen a few years ago, the food truck association declined due to the nature of the show.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
They refused to feed hunters? Seriously? I'm sure that most of the food trucks serve meat products. What a bunch of hypocrites.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised.I've always hated food trucks.I am sure hard working restaurant owners hate them too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a simple client looking to meet PH's and outfitters, and book a hunt, I thought the DSC show was perfect. I don't go every year, but when I need to explore new options and places for future hunts I find the DSC show fantastic. It has come a long way from the Market Center days (forgot the official name?!?), but I found the location convenient, the people friendly as always, and prices for refreshments as reasonable as any convention center.

I completed my booking for this year (Namibia), and talked with enough Australian outfits to make a deposit for next year.

No need to change anything at DSC. Great show, and a quality organization. Thank you!

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
talked with enough Australian outfits to make a deposit for next year.

Will there be anything left to hunt?

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
One last(?) note on the DSC 2020 convention - I will need to clear some trophies from my 2019 safari later this year. I talked to Coppersmith about what needed to be done and while I was at the booth, I went ahead and entered the drawing for a free clearance. Apparently I won it, as I got the free clearance certificate by FedEx today.

After accounting for the cost of the clearance, my airline tickets and all my spending at the show, I didn't quite break even, but I came close. That's never happened before. dancing

Posts: 716 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote