THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    what is the best riflr for trcking lion

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the best riflr for trcking lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What rifle and caliber comnination wouls be the best for an lion hunt exclusively done on FOOT

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I used a light Blaser Attache in 9.3x62 and think it was about perfect.
Light, fast handling, fast reloading, accurate and well balanced.
The hunt was in extremely hot conditions with many miles of tracking each day.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted lion, but what the hell. I would suggest a Blaser as well, but in 375H&H, which just happens to be one of the barrel combinations that I have!!! I suggest the Blaser because it is fast handling, certainly faster than my CZ 550 in identical caliber.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a nice light 9.3x74 o/u would be my choice

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
For "tracking" lion? One with good eyes!

Andrew

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
the best rifle will be one that you are completely familiar with fitted with a low magnification scope . as usual , it will be your first shot that counts ...getting a good second shot will be a mater of luck...

a good friend of mine fitted his air rifle with a scope and shot it for 15 to 20 minutes every day in his backyard offhand for 3 weeks prior to coming and i have to say he was very very quick at target aquisition , it made all the difference and on one safari he collected at least four animals that were a result of fast accurate shooting...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Calibre and action type doesn't really matter a whole lot, but I'd recommend something like a 375 with short barrel for fast target acquisition and at least as importantly, the right bullets. Go for a fast opening soft point, something like a Woodleigh SP, rather than the PSP.

As Ivan says, you need to be very familiar with the rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is a .416 Rem. with a detachable 2x4 Leupold. My latest has a 20" tube and a rather heavy barrel to make it settle fast, but a standard weight 26" barrel also points extremely
well. Barrel length is not an issue with me as long as the rifle is a tad barrel heavy and hangs like a rock.

As to caliber, a 375 H&H, .416, 404 etc. works well indeed, any big bore is fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Calibre and action type doesn't really matter a whole lot, but I'd recommend something like a 375 with short barrel for fast target acquisition and at least as importantly, the right bullets. Go for a fast opening soft point, something like a Woodleigh SP, rather than the PSP.

As Ivan says, you need to be very familiar with the rifle.

Steve,
What is your current favorite gun and bullet?

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is something that most people (including PHs) do not have a lot of experience with. Personally, I have zero experience with African lions.

However, I found it interesting that 3 different PHs in Zim (Myles McCallum, Alan Shearing and a Spanish PH) stated they would like to have my 50 Alaskan levergun for lion including followup. It handles very fast, shoots big softpoints and cycles very fast. Truthfully, all 3 of them saying that while handling it kind of surprised me but that's what they said.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

My favourite rifle is the one I carry whenever I'm hunting, which is a custom built .500 Jeffery on a left handed weatherby action. The rifle has a 19 inch barrel with a shallow vee rearsight and a (large) red fibre optic foresight. The rifle points and shoots like a dream and was made for me by Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit. (www.sabirifles.co.za)

As to bullets, I use Woodleigh SP for cats and occasionally for the coup de grace on Buff, Woodleigh PSP for heavier game and GS Custom flat nose solids for follow ups, and elephant etc. - I love the rifle and all the bullets to bits.

We also have company loaners built by the same rifle maker in (mauser action) .404 Jeffery and they have Swarovski 1.5 -6 scopes with QD mounts on 'em. - We use the same bullet manufacturers for the 404s as I do on in my 500.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my Pre'64 Model 70 .375 H&H Magnum for my lion hunt. It is a early 50's standard model. I have a Pecar 4X which features a heavy German style deuplex. This is mounted in a Q.D. claw mount. The Nosler Partition 300 grain bullet worked well. I did not use a sling. The area was to thick, and I didn't want to get it caught on a thorn branch.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE A RIFLE IN 458 Lott and 375 H&H what you use?

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I used a .375 w/300 grain A-Frames. However, unless you make a killing or break down shot, better hope your PH is using a stopping rifle if a charge is made. Lion's are not the toughest animal to kill by any means, but careless or off target shots can get one into serious trouble in a hurry. There are no flies on a Lion. They cover ground in an instant and once fixed on their target, your aim best be true. If your in close quarters, I'd take the Lott, especially if your comfortable with it. Best of luck on your quest, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The best rifle for tracking lion would be furnished with one of those electronic stabilization devices - you know, like the ones the Japanese put in their high end cameras?

I'm not sure how it would work on a rifle, but it would have to keep the thing steady even when the operator is shaking like a palm tree in a hurricane.

That would be best, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a double rifle with a good QD system, like claw mounts woulf be perfect. 9.3x74r through 450/400 would seem perfect. The double would make the second shot a reality instead of a prayer. Same rifle for follow up too.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use a short barreled 458 with 400 grain bullets. I would use a 1x4 scope with a bold reticle.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
I will be using a .416 Rem. Mag with a QD system, 1.5-5X scope and 400 grain Woodleigh soft point bullets.

I hope the lion cooperates this time.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The correct answer is: the hunter who shoots his rifle accurately...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Custom double barrled M39 grenade launcher loaded with proximity detonation rounds

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:
I HAVE A RIFLE IN 458 Lott and 375 H&H what you use?

More information required.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my 416 rem mags.I think either my KS safari stainless 416 rem mag or my model 70 winchester.I can shoot both way faster than you think.I do that alot at the range.I see how many offhand shots I can make under 10 seconds.Its the first shot that counts the most.Its when the lion is on top of you that really sucks.I have friends who didnt prepare for a lion running so fast at them.They were use to seeing the lions at rest not running.A friend use to get some one to roll a tire off a hill with a target in the middle to shoot a running target.Its alot better than not practicing .I have shot lots of running deer also with my 338 win mag.I think they are probally as fast as a lion.I would be way more comfortable with my 416 rem mag for lion using a 410 gr woodleigh,400 gr swift or 400 gr nosler.I think the 416 rem mag is an excelent choice for lion.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
I think a double rifle with a good QD system, like claw mounts woulf be perfect. 9.3x74r through 450/400 would seem perfect. The double would make the second shot a reality instead of a prayer. Same rifle for follow up too.

JPK

100% agreement! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have always used a Model A Mauser in 9,3x62

Am getting used to my double and it will be my carry rifle for this year .500-.416 - Not that I have ever had to back a client, but will use the Krieghof for PAC as well

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

JPK

YUP. That's it.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Have always used a Model A Mauser in 9,3x62
Am getting used to my double and it will be my carry rifle for this year .500-.416 - Not that I have ever had to back a client, but will use the Krieghof for PAC as well

What happened to the kilt and the claymore?
sofa
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
....My # 1 choice would be the same as for brn bear ......My 458 Win mag Ruger M77mk 2 w 19.5" Shilen barrel w/muzzel brake . ...shooting 300gr moly coated Barnes X bullets @ 2700 fps mv ... My 2nd choice would be my CZ550 in 416 Rem mag . which full up w /1 in the pipe holds 7 rounds . The load would be 300 gr Barnes moly coated X bullets @2830 mv..............The Spruce King [ Ruger 458]

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have two on foot with a 458 WM and one with a .375 H and H. I could not tell any difference in the way any of them acted after the first shot. They all jumped up, spun around and tried to bite at the wound. Then they stalked off about 10 yds. and lay down.

From your initial post I took it that you were asking about an initial shot while tracking on foot but not necessarily following up a wounded lion.

From my limited experience, if doing it again, I would take a 375 with a low power detachable scope. I think this would be best for the first shot. A scope can be helpful for seeing the lion - especially if it is lying in the shade in some brush. Obviously the rifle should fit well because the time from spotting the lion til the shot might be short.

If backing up a friend who was doing the initial shooting I would like my short barreled 450/400 3" double rifle.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to use a bolt rifle it would be a Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H, 400 H&H, or 416Rem Mag.

However on my first Safari my Lion gun was to be my 9,3x74R Chapuis double with a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the circle dot reticle with 286gr Woodleigh Softs. No lion was taken.

On my third Safari I used my 450.400 3 1/4" double scoped with a S&B 1-4 with Flash Dot reticle.

While we were baiting for lion I actually shot him after spotting hin laying in a dry river bed.

I shot him from 90 yards, there was no cover for stalking closer, as he layed down facing us.

First shot hit center of chest, he fell over on his side, second shot hit just off center exited behind the shoulder and because of his body angle re-entered the body.

I then ran up and from behind his back put in a finisher from point blank range.

All bullets were 400gr Woodleigh Softs.

None exited, all expanded perfectly.

I was glad I had a scoped double, and after seeing how big he was I was glad I had the 450/400.

However I would not hesitate to hunt lion with my 9,3x74R.

I consider a scoped double the best choice for a lion gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x74r, 450/400, or a 470's/450's. Basically, a double rifle that handles well and doesn't have too much velocity so as to keep the bullet from blowing through the lion. Always soft points.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
9.3x74r, 450/400, or a 470's/450's. Basically, a double rifle that handles well and doesn't have too much velocity so as to keep the bullet from blowing through the lion. Always soft points.
.. bewildered ..............................And doesn,t have too much velocity so as to keep the bullet from blowing thru the lion .....WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ??????????????????????????????????//I have heard this kind of thing before but usually by arm chairs or ignoramuses .....I take it you are refering to the theory that a bullet can go so fast that it won,t do any damage ...Or minimal damage ??? ................................I know lots here really like the 450/400 but if my life were on the line I would just a soon have a 338 RUM as a 450/400 and really prefer a 375 Whby/ RUM or a 378 Whby to a 450/400 or standard velocity 404 ...........................However given my druthers I,ll use my 458 or 416 with fast , tough , bullets.........I definately agree on useing expanding bullets..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the rifle you can shoot straight

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote