New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo charges?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I asked this same ? on HA. Of you PH's or experienced bufflo hunters, what % buffalo hunts end in charges? I know that if the first bullet is placed right, the likelihood of a charge is very small. I am debating the 375/416 issue. Is the 375 enough or should I go ahead and get a 416 just in case? "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always recommend the biggest gun you can comfortably shoot on Buffalo...I like a 404 or 416 myself, but I would shoot a 505 Gibbs if it didn't kick so damn hard...A 375 will work most of the time, but when things go bad, a bigger gun is well appreciated...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry didn't address the other part of your question...Charges depend on where you hunt and how much harrassment the Buffalo have been getting....I would say you get one charge in 500 kills or perhaps a 1000 depending on luck....
As I said at HA, its no great trick to instigate a Buffalo charge, but if you make a habit of it Murphys going to kick your Arse sooner of later, cuz sometimes a Buffalo just won't die....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
DHunter,

A friend of mine who has been a PH for 30 years has only been charged once!

I have shot quite a few buffalo, and never been charged.

One time we shot a bull out of three, they ran into the bush. About 100 yards on we saw them, and we had a bit of a confusion.

The bush was very thick. I saw one bull standing. My PH did nto see him, but saw one lying down, while our camera man could see both.

My PH said to shoot "it", and I asked him if it was the wounded one, which he said it was. I thougt he could see blood on his nose with his binoculars.

Anyway, I shot teh one I could see - the one standing up. He took off, and I turned around to my PH.

Suddenly, the one lying down got up - I think he had difficulty seeing us too.

"Watch out! He got up!"

I did not know what they were talking about, but as I turned, I saw this bull looking at us. I put a bullet in his forehead, and he dropped stone dead.

We followed the other one and found him down about 100 yards further.

I used the Barnes X 300 grain from my 375/404, and th bullet was found in his neck.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Thought I would save lickilovac the trouble and bump this one to the top.
sofa

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo clap

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
When I first read the post I thought Hmmm Ray is posting again, then I read the date. Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great. Now everyone's in on it...

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the caliber of the gun is so important on the first shot, it needs to be will placed. I shot a buff with a .470 NE at about 40 yards, two softs in the shoulder. He turned and charged. I now had a $15000 club in my hand. The PH shot him four times with a .458 Lott in the shoulder. I had to side step him once. While he was turning to come after me I got reloaded and my last shot was at 3 or 4 feet and he went down. All this took about ten seconds.

Get the .416 if you can shoot it comfortably. Rigby, first chose, Rem. Mag. second or Taylor if recoil is an issue. All are better than the .375 H&H in a tight spot.......JMHO....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Thought I would save lickilovac the trouble and bump this one to the top.
sofa

Too funny Duckear!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it happens fast. Click below and you'll see what I mean.

An Unintended Buffalo

I learned a lesson that day. Always carry your own rifle. In the past, I'd sometimes let a tracker carry it.

Never, again! I'm dang glad I had my .458WM in my hands or I'd be in a box.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple fact of life is: Buffalo do not charge unless seriously provoked.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first African hunt and buffalo hunt was in Zambia. We cut the tracks of a small heard of buffalo and decide to follow them. About a hour later we came upon the heard. The tracker spotted a good bull about 70 yards. The wind was in our favor so we waited for the bull to move broad side. Once the bull moved to the right position, I shot him with a .416 trophy bonded bear claw. I knew it was a perfect shot....you heard the bullet hit and the bull hunched up. The bull ran to the right into really thick jesse. The other buffalo cleared off to the left.

When the other buffalo cleared and we moved onto the shot bull. He was standing there 30 yards in front of us. I could see the blood ozing out of his mouth. I shot him again with a frontal neck/chest shot and he dropped.

We carefully moved in and I shot him on the ground 2X in the shoulder/chest point blank. The buff did not move, dead as dead gets.

We all stood there admiring the buffalo...my first....a real joyous moment.

And then all of a sudden, out of no where, a second buffalo charges from the thick jesse directly at me. My gun was empty at this point and I stood there frozen. Fortunately for me, the dead buffalo was between me and the charging second buffalo....he did not jump over the dead bull. Instead, the bull turned and attacked the tracker and nearly gored him(within inches). The bull then turned 90 degrees and ran back into the thick stuff.

As quick as the bull appeared, he was gone. Like a ghost. This entire scene occurred in seconds. The PH yells to shoot, but I was empty. I asked the PH why he did not shoot, and he said he was afraid to shoot because he thought he could hit the tracker. It was tight quarters. Later I found out the truth was his gun was leaning on the tree and he was taking a piss.

This incident could have been very bad. My excuse was that I was a rookie....but I should have known better. The PH let his guard down too. The staff got lazy and should have been keeping their eyes out for trouble.

Lesson number 1:

Always reload....always, no matter what happens. If you get one shot off...reload. If the animals is dead on the ground...shoot him again. Reload. Expect the unexpected.

Lesson number 2:

Always carry your gun. Be ready. Do not drop your guard.

Lesson number 3:

Discuss in detail with the PH before the hunt exactly what is expected of you after you shoot, the follow up, in case of a charge...ect. Things happen extremely fast. Be prepared.

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:

- Lars/Finland

I'm not sure I would agree with this. This is the fence that keeps the buffs out of the Shiawela Lodge area. This guy will run you down and kill you for no apparent reason. It takes a pretty determined buff to chase you for over 2 miles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBRMSQ43AZc

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daleW:
My first African hunt and buffalo hunt was in Zambia. We cut the tracks of a small heard of buffalo and decide to follow them. About a hour later we came upon the heard. The tracker spotted a good bull about 70 yards. The wind was in our favor so we waited for the bull to move broad side. Once the bull moved to the right position, I shot him with a .416 trophy bonded bear claw. I knew it was a perfect shot....you heard the bullet hit and the bull hunched up. The bull ran to the right into really thick jesse. The other buffalo cleared off to the left.

When the other buffalo cleared and we moved onto the shot bull. He was standing there 30 yards in front of us. I could see the blood ozing out of his mouth. I shot him again with a frontal neck/chest shot and he dropped.

We carefully moved in and I shot him on the ground 2X in the shoulder/chest point blank. The buff did not move, dead as dead gets.

And then all of a sudden, out of no where, a second buffalo charges from the thick jesse directly at me. My gun was empty at this point and I stood there frozen. Fortunately for me, the dead buffalo was between me and the charging second buffalo....he did not jump over the dead bull. Instead, the bull turned and attacked the tracker and nearly gored him(within inches). The bull then turned 90 degrees and ran back into the thick stuff.

As quick as the bull appeared, he was gone. Like a ghost. This entire scene occurred in seconds. The PH yells to shoot, but I was empty. I asked the PH why he did not shoot, and he said he was afraid to shoot because he thought he could hit the tracker. It was tight quarters. Later I found out the truth was his gun was leaning on the tree and he was taking a piss.

This incident could have been very bad. My excuse was that I was a rookie....but I should have known better. The PH let his guard down too. The staff got lazy and should have been keeping their eyes out for trouble.

Lesson number 1:

Always reload....always, no matter what happens. If you get one shot off...reload. If the animals is dead on the ground...shoot him again. Reload. Expect the unexpected.

Lesson number 2:

Lesson number 3:

Discuss in detail with the PH before the hunt exactly what is expected of you after you shoot, the follow up, in case of a charge...ect. Things happen extremely fast. Be prepared.

dale

That was an interesting story, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting it. beer

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:

- Lars/Finland

Hah! Big Grin

Sometimes they just won't tell you what pissed 'em off.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Dale W - the first bull I shot in Zim was a similar situation. Fortunately, he'd gone down in a thicket, and we only heard the bulls and the rustling on the other side (about 10 yards) and never had to shoot. We all had our guns up though and the PH was saying, "if anything sticks it's nose out of there, let him have it." I don't know if we were being charged or just if they'd come back to see what the commotion was, but I wasn't anxious to find out!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
charges might be rare, but you won't ever convince Alan Shearing of that.

BTW, got an Email from he and Rosie and he is well enough to start training in the Gold Mine business.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lesson number 1:

Lesson number 2:

Lesson number 3:

dale

A gripping story indeed! Thank you for posting your eloquent account. After reading it (and other similar accounts here) I am not so sure I am prepared to undertake an African Safari (although I have always dreamed of doing so). First, I do not believe I am brave enough to withstand the charge of a dangerous animal such as a Buffalo. Second, at my age I am not nimble enough to get out of the way. I think I will just keep on re-reading the great old Safari books as I fondly stroke my CZ African Safari .458 Lott rifle. "The stuff that dreams are made of".

JP

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Posts: 74 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are selling yourself short. Hunters have shot buffalo from wheel chairs. I would say you are probably more nimble then they were.

"Brave enough to withstand a charge?" I would guess 75% of the posters here don't know whether they are brave enough to withstand a charge, so you are in good company.

If you have the money to hunt Africa, stop dreaming up excuses. Do it or drop it.

Fondly stroke the .458 Lott, and buy a 375 H&H to hunt with. The PHs I've hunted with wish the great white hunters would stop bringing over guns they are incapable of shooting well. If you can shoot the Lott you can probably drive nails with a 375 H&H.

Stop getting all starry-eyed over Africa, get off your ass and do it. You're not getting any younger.

I'm not sure you really want an African Safari. I suspect it is just puppy love, or you would have done something about it by now.

Posts: 13877 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A gripping story indeed! Thank you for posting your eloquent account. After reading it (and other similar accounts here) I am not so sure I am prepared to undertake an African Safari (although I have always dreamed of doing so). First, I do not believe I am brave enough to withstand the charge of a dangerous animal such as a Buffalo. Second, at my age I am not nimble enough to get out of the way. I think I will just keep on re-reading the great old Safari books as I fondly stroke my CZ African Safari .458 Lott rifle. "The stuff that dreams are made of".

Jamesicus,

This is why you need to hunt Africa. You will not be disappointed. Have no fear. Just be prepared. And when you hunt Africa....be sure to add buffalo to the list. Book it now!

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Dale W - the first bull I shot in Zim was a similar situation. Fortunately, he'd gone down in a thicket, and we only heard the bulls and the rustling on the other side (about 10 yards) and never had to shoot. We all had our guns up though and the PH was saying, "if anything sticks it's nose out of there, let him have it." I don't know if we were being charged or just if they'd come back to see what the commotion was, but I wasn't anxious to find out!

We had the same situation following a track in the long grass. We were hunting rations for a village when a buff jumped into the track. One shot from the 470 put it down. There was one behind it that jumped into the track. The second barrel put it down. I was reloading when the tracker hustled me back down the track.

Turned out the herd came back to see what was going on. A charge? No. A bad place to be? No doubt.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jamesicus,

This is why you need to hunt Africa. You will not be disappointed. Have no fear. Just be prepared. And when you hunt Africa....be sure to add buffalo to the list. Book it now!

dale

Thank you for the reply, Dale. In retrospect my choice of words was not not very good -- I should have indicated trepidation rather than fear.

James

Posts: 74 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
. . . what % buffalo hunts end in charges? "D"

All of the buffalo hunts I have been on have ended in charges.

Lately, they have been very high. As much as $2-3,000 or more per buffalo.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I think you are selling yourself short. Hunters have shot buffalo from wheel chairs. I would say you are probably more nimble then they were.

"Brave enough to withstand a charge?" I would guess 75% of the posters here don't know whether they are brave enough to withstand a charge, so you are in good company.

If you have the money to hunt Africa, stop dreaming up excuses. Do it or drop it.

Fondly stroke the .458 Lott, and buy a 375 H&H to hunt with. The PHs I've hunted with wish the great white hunters would stop bringing over guns they are incapable of shooting well. If you can shoot the Lott you can probably drive nails with a 375 H&H.

Stop getting all starry-eyed over Africa, get off your ass and do it. You're not getting any younger.

I'm not sure you really want an African Safari. I suspect it is just puppy love, or you would have done something about it by now.

Thank you for your most entertaining reply, Kensco. I read it out loud to Beverly ("she who must be obeyed" -- Rumpole of the Bailey) and we both had a good laugh.

James