Notify
Tools

John Greeff Relief Fund
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Yep, I'm left handed and FWIW shoot a left handed Weatherby actioned .500 Jeffery built by Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit.

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Larry, check in the mail today for a couple of tickets. Best wishes to John and family !
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
Steve, yes unfortunately I put in a lot of miles. I would prefer to put them in chasing ele but for now this is how I make my living so getting around a lot is just part of it. I hope to get tickets printed tomorrow but none should worry. You will get your ticket and chance at the rifle, etc. Response has been great but we still have plenty to sell.

Scott, good talking to you as well. Thanks for your support.

Update on John, I got a text from Vickie when I landed. She said John was in for 6 hours today on plastic surgery and facial nerve reconstruction. Surgery went great and they feel they have been able to repair the damage in this area. He also had some ear damage that needed fixed. They also told her to not expect any near term change as this may take a couple of months to really show results. Eye survival looks more promising but likely not to have much sight. Still in Johns mind I have to imagine having his own eye is important. It would be to me. As I am a lefty and Craig is a lefty we will welcome John as a new addition to the team. Many of you are as well. As to Dustin and as Tom Waller said in an earlier post the one toe they reattached looks more risky daily. They are working hard to keep infection down and try to keep this toe intact. Lets hope they do.

Thanks again all for your support.

Larry

Larry,

Where do I send the check? I want 2 for myself, have not heard much back from the others I sent it to, but will keep trying.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:
Steve, yes unfortunately I put in a lot of miles. I would prefer to put them in chasing ele but for now this is how I make my living so getting around a lot is just part of it. I hope to get tickets printed tomorrow but none should worry. You will get your ticket and chance at the rifle, etc. Response has been great but we still have plenty to sell.

Update on John, I got a text from Vickie when I landed. She said John was in for 6 hours today on plastic surgery and facial nerve reconstruction. Surgery went great and they feel they have been able to repair the damage in this area. He also had some ear damage that needed fixed. They also told her to not expect any near term change as this may take a couple of months to really show results. Eye survival looks more promising but likely not to have much sight. Still in Johns mind I have to imagine having his own eye is important. It would be to me. As I am a lefty and Craig is a lefty we will welcome John as a new addition to the team. Many of you are as well. As to Dustin and as Tom Waller said in an earlier post the one toe they reattached looks more risky daily. They are working hard to keep infection down and try to keep this toe intact. Lets hope they do.

Larry

Larry,

Where do I send the check? I want 2 for myself, have not heard much back from the others I sent it to, but will keep trying.

Greg

Greg - You haven't emailed me my friend? I'll send the instructions to you.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ak_msf
posted Hide Post
Check for (5) raffle tickets just dropped in the mail.

Thanks very much for organizing this - it takes a lot of effort to run this kind of fundraising - nice to see people willing to do so for such an incident!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
For those that shoot south paw. Don't let that stop you from getting a ticket. A full third of my production per year is left handed.

Very suprised to hear it's such a high figure. Mr Wiki tells me that 7-10% of the population are left handed which (without resorting to a calculator) just goes to prove that left handed people are 3-4 more likely to have the good taste (and I guess financial ability) to buy a good double rifle than right handed people!

How's that for a totally useless piece of information? jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello to everyone and thanks for the donations that have been coming in! My name is David Dunn and I am the founder of Something More Safaris. We are a 501c3 and the host of the Boddington Fund. Please feel free to check us out online at www.somethingmoresafaris.com and click the donate button. Donations are 100% tax deductable! We will see that funds for John Greeff get to him and his family.

Cheers and thanks

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - I think we still have about 50 tickets left, please contact me at globalhunts@aol.com if you wish to buy some, and help the cause.

Thank you,

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eldest son is a Leftie....he wants me to win the double very much so he can actually get a rifle from me rather than a few shotguns....his yonger brother is looking forward to all my bolt actions.
Presuming Delta did not screw him up again, Wes should be arriving tonight. We should have an update from him tomorrow on John and Dusty.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I think the reason Mr. Wiki misses it is that most of left eye dominant shooters are not fully left handed. For example I write, eat, right handed but clearly left eye dominant and left is my strong side as well, Baseball, etc. I guess that is usless info as well but what I was trying to get at is that the left eye dominant population is far higher than the left handed population in my opinion.

To all, I am in China until next Friday. If I do not respond to a PM right away please understand. We still have more tickets to sell as Aaron says so please help.

I wanted to also remind you of our two pronged approach to our fundraising. One is this raffle for the rifle, et al. and the second is through Something More Safaris. I see that Dave Dunn is now posting (welcome Dave). You can choose either way or both for that matter but your help is sincerely appreciated by the family. I am not sure how all of you feel but my eyes have certainly been opened by what can happen and I will continue to be a supporter of Something More Safaris and the Boddington Fund. We never know when this will be one of our best friends or even ourselves.

Short update on John was a lengthy surgery on Thursday with a lot of time on facial nerve repairs. This will take time to heal as you can imagine. He has another surgery scheduled for next Tuesday unless something has changed. I am sure he cannot wait to get out of the hospital. I have been able to talk with Vicki most days or every other day and the noise in the background is significant.

Tom, I assume Wes did make it as he was going to call if he did not.

Thanks again for all of your support.

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Shows what can be done when AR pulls together. Extraordinary effort by all those involved.

But who is this Boddington chap everyone talks about?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My check is enroute to Larry for raffle tickets. I like Butch Searcy, love his rifles, could never get him to send me one to play with...so I'm assuming I will win this one and accomplish all objectives.
In different thread I stated that I would never question Harry Selby...generally speaking, I would never question Shakari, either...but as a member of the downtrodden left-handed minority (I go a step further, being part of the downtrodden left-handed, red-headed minority), I take great exception to his comment that we are only 7-10 percent of the population. The best numbers I've seen suggest 15 percent, but since hunters and shooters tend to be talented and intelligent, I think in this arena lefties are at least 25 percent. I have taken it as a personal challenge to make sure that John has a proper left-handed rifle as he (most unwillingly!) joins our ranks. Really appreciate the support to him from all, but let's dig deeper, guys. I have never met John--but he's one of our own, and he and his family are in a trick right now.
Thanks, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Larry, you are doing God's work.

My check for two tickets will be posted on Monday.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Craig,

Mr Wiki gave me the figures but as we all know, Wiki isn't always reliable...... no doubt though that left handers tend to have good taste! jumping

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Larry, you are doing God's work.

My check for two tickets will be posted on Monday.

Rather than buying raffle tickets, I just made an online donation to Something More Safaris.

There does not seem to be any way of designating the John Greeff Relief Fund as the recipient (unless I missed it - which is entirely possible!), so I just followed up with an email to that effect.

The SMS website provides a very convenient way to help out.

Great job, Larry, Craig, Aaron and all others who are chipping in! tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
You guys are doing a really good thing here. Check is in the mail for a couple of tickets.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, thanks for your donation to SMS for John. We have had some email back and forth with Dave Dunn on exactly this,,, how to make sure donation is earmarked for John Greeff. I am sure David will get this updated quickly but he did have a website server change so this may be part of the delay. We understand their needs to be clarity on the weblink. David posts here now so I assume he will make this clear to all.

Thanks again for your support,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Larry,

email sent.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Heck guys... just think of all the day dreaming you get to enjoy by participating in the raffle!

Lets see... do I want one of Butch's rifles in .450 NE with upgraded wood and an ellie bull engraved on the bottom? No wait... time tested and easy ammo availability of the .470 NE with a buff... no easy carrying .400 Jeff.... no wait...

You get the picture, buy tickets now!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Aaron: E-mailed you for ticket information.
Thanks.
Bill

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck guys... just think of all the day dreaming you get to enjoy by participating in the raffle!

Great point! Let the dreaming begin !

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than Wes Hixon, Larry and myself, it does not appear many know John personally. Thus it is most gratifying to see all my hunting community brethern reaching out to help!
Thank you so much for caring for one of "us" !!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
I think it is fair to say that John represents each persons favorite PH that they have hunted and become friends with. It is rewarding for me to participate.

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry

Hey Larry I guess I am not to bright or maybe I just have a reading comprehension problem. But where in heck do I buy a ticket? Do I have to call Butch or what?

One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
Send an email to Aaron. He can provide you with the necessary information.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
www.globalhuntingresources.com
globalhunts@aol.com
303-932-0550 - office

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, 375LVR is right. While i have been travelling Aaron has done an exceptional job in sending out info on how to get a ticket. I also mentioned in post that you can PM me and I will send you information. We still have clearly around 50 tickets to sell of the 150 so all please continue to help out. I am back from China on Friday so weekend will be one of me getting better organized and tickets out to all of you.

Donations are also coming into SMS (Something More Safaris). Thanks to all of you for that as well. We will probably publish a weekly tally on both fundraising efforts.

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, PM sent

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry/Aaron

My check was dropped off this morning in the mail..

Thanks, gents.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put me down for two tickets. I'll get the check in the mail tomorrow.

Just got back from a great Leopard (plus Sable & Buffalo) hunt with Ade Langley. It's most clear in my mind all that we hunters owe to our PHs' while enjoying these pursuits...

Regards,
Emory

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
Famous words again:
"The check's in the mail!"
Just a lonesome single ticket. I'm surrounded by tightwads!

Send John my best and contact me when you need to get the info to ship the rifle! dancing

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member
"Most of my money I spent on reloading, hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted."

Posts: 43 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron shot you an email for tickets.

Craig even though you are a"downtrodden left-handed, red-headed minority" you are a fellow Jayhawk and Kansan so that makes up for it. Big Grin

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
...generally speaking, I would never question Shakari, either...but as a member of the downtrodden left-handed minority (I go a step further, being part of the downtrodden left-handed, red-headed minority), I take great exception to his comment that we are only 7-10 percent of the population. The best numbers I've seen suggest 15 percent, but since hunters and shooters tend to be talented and intelligent, I think in this arena lefties are at least 25 percent. Thanks, Craig

In case it is of any interest (as a meaningless pseudo-factoid), it seems (anecdotally) that amongst my peers (professional foresters and forest technicians) there seems to be at least 30% you "sinister" types. Lefties are rampant in this industry. Smiler

BigBBear, Aaron....e-mail sent for instructions. I will buy two tickets as well.

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I did read somewhere that a lot of left handers tend to be practical and/or have mechanical skills but have no idea if that's true or not.

I just wish we were blessed with more of a talent for making money! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks for the emails. I have tried to stay on top of each person that contacted me for raffle ticket instructions. If you have not received a message back, please email me again at globalhunts@aol.com

Thanks again, and keep buying tickets.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Check for two more tickets on the way...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom in Tennessee writes---
"Other than Wes Hixon, Larry and myself, it does not appear many know John personally. Thus it is most gratifying to see all my hunting community brethern reaching out to help!
Thank you so much for caring for one of "us" !!

Tom I'm not so sure that's correct---that very few people know John. At a time in the early 2000's when John was hunting quite a bit in Zimbabwe his native country, he was awarded Best Professional Hunter in 2001 and 2002, by one of the Zim hunting organizations. That's quite an honor to be recognized as such by your peers in Zim, who are widely regarded as thee BEST PH's in Africa. So his name is out there and alot of us know him. He's very respected and also seen on some of the Jack Brittingham Tanz videos when he worked for Jack.

It is great so see all the caring and help going to the family. Keep the donations coming.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes, John was my PH on my first safari way back in 1994 in the Lemco. Guess you could say he fueled my addiction! We hunted together again in 2004 with Buzz Charlton guiding me for my first elephant and John guiding my good friend, Steve in Dande. John is an all-around great guy and a super PH. I look forward to hunting with him in the future in his new area next to Deka!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update on John. Actually spoke to him tonight (afternoon for him) and suprisingly he sounded very normal considering broken jaw, etc. Very encouraging to me when you think of what he has been through. I think maybe in a couple of weeks we will have him on here and he can tell his story. It is pretty much the way you know it but there is nothing like from the Horses mouth. You might find it interesting to know that he has no real criticism for events that happened, other PH's actions, medivac that Raul arranged was phenominal. This was one of those shit happens kind of events.

He had a bit of an infection today when they were beginning a surgery so had to delay the rest of it until the infection cleared up. Several times he specifically asked to thank all of you for your support and mentioned many of you by name and memories as well as the many new friends that he has on AR. I think Marc is quite right in that John is one of those unassuming type of guys that has earned huge respect from his peer group as well as clients. The quite type that gets it done!

Again thanks and we still need to sell approximately 50 tickets to get this raffle done. My wife has been giving me a daily tally of what is coming in and Aaron has kept me email updated on what he has moved. The wife quite frankly is overwhelmed by you guys but I knew all along what the AR team had in it. Not surprised at all by you guys.

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great work gentlemen! It is people like you that make me proud to be a member of AR. tu2

I do not know John but if he is like his brothers in Zimbabwe I am sure he is a stand-up guy, and it would be my pleasure to help. Aaron, email on the way for instructions.

I was pleased to see my taxidermist, Wes Good of Wildlife Studios, listed as a "Friend" of SomethingMoreSafaris. Good on you Wes!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, thanks for support. I have been able to get on line a bit so I sent you a direct email with instructions. Please, if anyone still needs info. please email or PM either Aaron or I.
Thanks,

Larry

York, SC