Find
Notify
Tools

THE BLOODY FACE THING
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hell, we gave then the ammunition and photographic evidence to kill our own sport.

We just had to feed our insatiable ego's by posting hero shots all over the place.

Two key phrases that a large number of hunters refuse to accept; that and the fact (like it or not) that we are living in different times, surrounded by an ever growing mass of wimps who regrettably have the ability in disrupting our blood sport (what it is realistically).

Back to face-painting:

What is it that drives someone to apply multiple smear marks on their faces? Wouldn't a slight streak or dab be sufficient and why the face when it is their hands that were reaponsible for the spilling of blood in the first place?
You would probably find that a good number of the same face-painters would shy at the idea of dressing their kill and leave the dirty work to someone else.

That is where the Germans and Swiss in particlar are probably more entitled to the smearing rites/tradition as their hunting laws and related exams prior to obtaining a license forsees the applicant having to properly dress a carcass. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes we are living in different times and because we are so worried about fitting in our ways are being swept to the side. Because times are changing that does not mean we must. It is are on fault we left it get to this point and made the fight harder to teach people what hunting is now.

We keep this up and we will be in more trouble down the road with the hunting/gun rights.

Someone ask about minding if they see a deer tied to a car or truck. I sure dont care and still look for them around hunting season in Pa.

Posts: 578 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone ask about minding if they see a deer tied to a car or truck. I sure dont care and still look for them around hunting season in Pa.

Have had any lucky sightings? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
ROME (HUNTING) IS BURNING, we can argue about what is PC and refuse to back down in defense of "old" hunting traditions or we can shake our heads and let our ears slap us awake.

If hunters insist on marginalizing the average person who does not hunt but is a reasonable person by acts of bravado, and disrespect ( in their view) for animals, they certainly are in the dark as to the predicament African hunting is in RIGHT now.

There was a great blog that went on to ask hunters to refrain from displaying photos of what could be deemed to be "disrespectful" to animals but to concentrate on the positive issues ( in the average persons mind) of the contribution to conservation , income to local communities , the outdoor adventures of the hunt , the family time on a hunt . Keep the hero photos and blooding etc for close hunter friends.

In America you have the numbers and power to fight for your rights - in the rest of the world this is not true. Europe and Africa are under attack as they are easier targets - we need the support from American hunters to change the reputation of hunting, we urge you to refrain from depicting hunting as a blood sport , or killing for fun / pleasure - keep those opinions to your close circle of friends - when you put that out there you give the average person the reason to become an anti hunter.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
How many on here, regardless of your stance on the face marking topic, feel that all the "High Fiving" and other such displays on hunting programs/videos are okay?

How many have stopped watching hunting programs over such things?

How many on here constantly attack Mark Sullivan over his exploits?

How many on here have no qualms about shooting a lion/leopard or a black bear over a bait or been brought to bay with dogs, while at the same time practically loathing the concept of shooting white tail deer or other hoofed game over a baited area or at a waterhole or in close proximity to a vehicle?

This face paining topic is merely another symptom of greater problem among the Hunting Public. It does not matter where any of us hunt or have hunted, what matters is that ALL of us, World Wide, embrace the concept that we are not really each others enemy.

As individuals we are all entitled and have the right to our own personal beliefs and values, but to believe/wish/pretend that every/any other hunter on this planet is going to agree 100% with what we as individuals believe to be perfectly acceptable behavior, borders on being ludicrous.

To believe that ALL hunters are united and ready to confront the forces that want to take hunting away from us, is simply not reality.

As individuals, we need to continue doing what is legal and we are comfortable doing, just don't be naive and believe everyone else will agree with it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
How many on here, regardless of your stance on the face marking topic, feel that all the "High Fiving" and other such displays on hunting programs/videos are okay?

How many have stopped watching hunting programs over such things?

How many on here constantly attack Mark Sullivan over his exploits?

How many on here have no qualms about shooting a lion/leopard or a black bear over a bait or been brought to bay with dogs, while at the same time practically loathing the concept of shooting white tail deer or other hoofed game over a baited area or at a waterhole or in close proximity to a vehicle?

This face paining topic is merely another symptom of greater problem among the Hunting Public. It does not matter where any of us hunt or have hunted, what matters is that ALL of us, World Wide, embrace the concept that we are not really each others enemy.

As individuals we are all entitled and have the right to our own personal beliefs and values, but to believe/wish/pretend that every/any other hunter on this planet is going to agree 100% with what we as individuals believe to be perfectly acceptable behavior, borders on being ludicrous.

To believe that ALL hunters are united and ready to confront the forces that want to take hunting away from us, is simply not reality.

As individuals, we need to continue doing what is legal and we are comfortable doing, just don't be naive and believe everyone else will agree with it.

Are you the same CrazyHorse that post in the ARPF? Can't be...you make sense when your not in there tu2

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All this ranting about blood rites, what happened to the good old dot sup... hilbily ??

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
Hunting is a blood sport. No two ways around it.

No sence in pussyfooting around the subject. It is not a delicate matter and it is very violent. You are creating absolute and complete devistation to the animal you are KILLING..

Why hide it? Why lie to ourselves and the world of what takes place.

We all know we don't hunt to just kill something, but that is exactly why we hunt. It's the whole point of it.

I guess we can all just go watch another Disney movie and sing around the campfire and keep our heads in the sand and pretend we are just putting the animal to sleep instead of killing it.

Wow you guys... I really don't get it wanting to hide what we are.

I've said it before, I will never hide in a closet for what I am or what I do, no matter what the reason. If you like to, that's your right.

I also don't like rubbing it in peoples faces either. If people want to come to my Facebook or on Accuratereloading.com, that isn't rubbing it in to thier face. They came looking.

You are willing to kill something and share it with others out of the kindness of your heart, just as long as somebody somebody pays money for it....

Cause that don't make us look bad....

Todd

Todd,

I really think you are missing the point to all this. First, as far as killing goes, we are all on the same page. Where we disagree is simply how best to preserve a sport (passion) that is under attack. The attack, most interestingly is fueled by information, that we have willingly provided our opposition.

Look at the whole Cecil fiasco. That whole goat rope started over a simple photograph. Had that lion picture never been posted, the entire grab ass derby might not had ever occurred. Or the 120# Elephant that German guy killed? same shit. If we as sportsman could simply refrain from bloviating on FB and internet forums about our accomplishments, we might just get to enjoy said pursuits a bit longer.

I believe your confusing giving up with showing restraint. Continuing to insist we've done nothing wrong and continuing down this same path, will be a futile race to the end of our international hunting. We in fact have done nothing wrong, BUT, the court of public opinion weighs heavily against us. So, why go to court at all??

You want to attach some Disneyism to folks that think like I do. But isn't it the others whom insist on posting who are providing the digital information to those that will use it against us? Think of your argument, those of us who feel posting is not advantageous are basically invisible to the anti crowd.

As my dear friend Randall says, "Can't we all just get along"

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you the same CrazyHorse that post in the ARPF? Can't be...you make sense when your not in there

I am the same person regardless of the topic area I post/respond in. Judging ANYONE according to the Cess Pool, is a disservice to all involved.

I have been a hunter since 1966. While I have never hunted Africa, I have hunted Canada twice and in 7 different states. The future of hunting world wide concerns me, it shouldn't, at my age I will not see hunting die, so why should I care about future generations?

I should care, I must care, because hunting is a fundamental part of being a human being. Had humans not been hunters, we would not have gotten to the point we are at today, no matter how screwed up some believe the human species is.

The problem is and will remain, that Hunters, as a group simply can not/will not set aside personal ideologies concerning individual concepts about hunting, long enough to present a United Front against those that want to take hunting from us.

I want to believe that when I am dead and gone, hunting will still be an activity that future generations can enjoy. That seems unlikely, when a group of hunters can not rationally discuss something as meaningless as after the kill rituals, without getting pissy.

So you want to put blood on someones face when they make their first kill, and someone doesn't agree. Who really cares. Hunting is NOT a COMPETITIVE SPORT, the more we, hunters make it appear that way, the more those wanting to take hunting away from us are going work to achieve their goal.

Post your pictures, do your rituals, BUT DO NOT gripe when others do not agree with you.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
social media is not our friend.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are correct to a point. That point being the content of the reports/pictures shared on the medium.

It is past time for some of us to grasp reality, in our modern world, the picture of a dead wild turkey or dead deer, is NOT going to elicit the same reactions/responses as a dead Lion or Elephant, it is simply the state of the world.

Any picture, especially those of mammals, and more especially those of the mega fauna, with a smiling/grinning hunter in the photo, simply does not cut it, even among hunters. It is just the way things are, that is not going to change for the good at any point in the rest of the time any of us have on this planet.

No one should hide what they do, I don't, but, I pick my audience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup and because everyone is picky on who they show pictures to or scared to show what they enjoy is why we are losing the battle. The younger people have no idea what hunting is anymore and with not getting on the new ways we will not get many of them to think about hunting.

The way some people look at this subject makes it out like everyone hates hunting or scared to see a dead animal. That is so far from the truth. A few people make a stink and we all think it is the majority but it is not.

When my son took pic's from his trip to school must of the kids wanted to see them and talk about his hunt. One teacher had a problem with the pic's and asked him not to show them. His other 7 teacher had no problem at all. So we are our own worse enemy with how we think we cant show what we love and enjoy to others because a few make some noise.

Posts: 578 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

. . . apparently so are a number of our fellow hunters.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcap:
Yup and because everyone is picky on who they show pictures to or scared to show what they enjoy is why we are losing the battle. The younger people have no idea what hunting is anymore and with not getting on the new ways we will not get many of them to think about hunting.

The way some people look at this subject makes it out like everyone hates hunting or scared to see a dead animal. That is so far from the truth. A few people make a stink and we all think it is the majority but it is not.

When my son took pic's from his trip to school must of the kids wanted to see them and talk about his hunt. One teacher had a problem with the pic's and asked him not to show them. His other 7 teacher had no problem at all. So we are our own worse enemy with how we think we cant show what we love and enjoy to others because a few make some noise.

+1 I share photos on instagram and FB so do many others, I have NEVER had one complaint or bad word although some people ask about certain animals and I try to explain. Around 30 000 likes on my photos on insta and alot of young people following from all over the world makes it funny to try to take good photos and portray hunters in a good light. Respectful photos is a must. To think that to be quiet and not justify why we hunt it is not the right way to get young hunters in to this hobby of ours. JMO

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would add cutting elephant tails to it. One would have really difficulty finding anyone who is not a hunter supporting it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Respectful photos is a must.

And there is the whole issue in a nut shell, showing respect for the animals we kill, is paramount.

Reacting like a baseball/soccer/football player making a winning score is not really a respectful manner to celebrate a successful hunt.

Times and people, including HUNTERS have changed, whether for the better or not remains to be seen.

Since this discussion is taking place on a venue Anti Hunters do not participate in, what is there about the concept that not all hunters view things exactly the same way, while many of us openly state that we have no problem posting pictures of our kills on Social Media, as long as those pictures are respectful of the animals killed.

Why is it that just because some folks are not into the "In Your Face Concept", people have to draw lines of division?

If a person purposely posts something on Social Media that will draw negative reactions, who is really to blame for the negative responses?

The person making the post, or a society that has changed to a point where hunting is no longer viewed as an integral part of human existence.

Just because a Hunter does not agree with the "In Your Face" concept of expressing their desire or love of hunting, that does not mean they are trying to hide something.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I would add cutting elephant tails to it. One would have really difficulty finding anyone who is not a hunter supporting it.

Mike

Mike,

I can't remember if you have hunted or killed Elephant. If I recall correctly I believe you once posted you would never hunt one. I respect that as your choice to somehow decide an Elephant is different than any other prey targeted on a hunt.

After tracking for 11 long days no one was going to stop me from cutting that Elephant's tail off. It's tradition and I chose to do a traditional Elephant tracking hunt with a 114 year old British double.

That was the experience I signed on for.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the UK we have two blooding traditions, in Scotland it is traditional to blood the face of a hunter when they have stalked their first stag and in England it is traditional when following the hounds to blood the faces of those people who are on their very first hunt.

I think our traditions are important and we should not have to alter our behaviour to suit others, after all in this left wing, liberal, BS, PC world aren't we all suppose to be more accepting of others no matter what the differences?

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After tracking for 11 long days no one was going to stop me from cutting that Elephant's tail off. It's tradition and I chose to do a traditional Elephant tracking hunt

The tradition of cutting off the downed elephant's tail (and tip of the trunk) was, if I recall, a confirming sign that the carcass had an owner and that the elephant didn't just die through loss by wounding.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, a photo of Donald Trump's son holding an elephant tail appeared on several non-hunting social media sites. I suspect that the non-hunting community is less than enthusiastic regarding this African tradition (IMO). Please carry on ladies and gentlemen.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

I can't remember if you have hunted or killed Elephant. If I recall correctly I believe you once posted you would never hunt one. I respect that as your choice to somehow decide an Elephant is different than any other prey targeted on a hunt.

After tracking for 11 long days no one was going to stop me from cutting that Elephant's tail off. It's tradition and I chose to do a traditional Elephant tracking hunt with a 114 year old British double.

Cheers
Jim

Hey Jim:

I wrote a really wrong response and somehow it got lost in uploading.

My view is that cutting elephant tails does not sit well with the general public. Google elephant tail cutting - only negative stuff.

The background of cutting elephant tails is not in hunting by tracking or in old english doubles. It is in the commercial hunting of ivory. Old time commercial ivory hunters cut tails of dead elephants to signify ownership and possession. They were not hunting for meat or hides and left elephant carcasses as they went and killed other elephants for ivory. The cut tail signified to any other hunting parties that came along that this animal belonged to the ivory hunter that killed it (more correctly it belonged to somebody). Eventually the hunter or his team would come back to the elephant and harvest the ivory. Now that tradition may be repacked by the hunting industry as a rite of passage for hunting a elephant but its roots are in commercial ivory hunting.

I have no interest in elephant hunting but I support elephant hunting. I also have serious issues with the absolute devastation taking place to Africa's elephants - something that cannot be reversed for many generations if ever.

I think elephants should be hunted scientifically like they do in the Save Conservancy. Hunt a few males (I think 8-10 in the save) and let the professionals cull herds for population control. The culling of elephants is a brutal business and there is a reason why its now shown to the public. It has very solid conservation foundations. But its tough to sell a conservation program that often involves baby elephants being culled/shot/killed with 7.62x51 military rifles.

I just think it is a very tough marketing proposition to the general public why elephants should be hunted - a cut tail picture adds little to this tough sales process. And public opinion does matter cause the public elects politicians who can take away rights to hunt or import hunting trophies via laws and administrating/executive rulings.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience concerning Elephant tails, but why not keep the sharing of such an activity restricted to those that understand why it was done?

I have never wanted to kill an elephant, but I also do not have a problem with those that have or those that want to.

Likewise, I have no problem with those cutting off the animals tail, but you simply Can Not expect EVERYONE to feel the same way.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Cheers
Jim

Hey Jim:

My view is that cutting elephant tails does not sit well with the general public. Google elephant tail cutting - only negative stuff.

The background of cutting elephant tails is not in hunting by tracking or in old english doubles. It is in the commercial hunting of ivory. Old time commercial ivory hunters cut tails of dead elephants to signify ownership and possession. They were not hunting for meat or hides and left elephant carcasses as they went and killed other elephants for ivory. The cut tail signified to any other hunting parties that came along that this animal belonged to the ivory hunter that killed it (more correctly it belonged to somebody). Eventually the hunter or his team would come back to the elephant and harvest the ivory. Now that tradition may be repacked by the hunting industry as a rite of passage for hunting a elephant but its roots are in commercial ivory hunting.

I have no interest in elephant hunting but I support elephant hunting. I also have serious issues with the absolute devastation taking place to Africa's elephants - something that cannot be reversed for many generations if ever.

I think elephants should be hunted scientifically like they do in the Save Conservancy. Hunt a few males (I think 8-10 in the save) and let the professionals cull herds for population control. The culling of elephants is a brutal business and there is a reason why its now shown to the public. It has very solid conservation foundations. But its tough to sell a conservation program that often involves baby elephants being culled/shot/killed with 7.62x51 military rifles.

I just think it is a very tough marketing proposition to the general public why elephants should be hunted - a cut tail picture adds little to this tough sales process. And public opinion does matter cause the public elects politicians who can take away rights to hunt or import hunting trophies via laws and administrating/executive rulings.

Mike

I couldn't legally bring back any parts of that Elephant. I do have the knife that cut off it's tail though. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Cheers
Jim

Hey Jim:

Mike

I couldn't legally bring back any parts of that Elephant. I do have the knife that cut off it's tail though. Wink

Sad but you and a few others are the exception to the rule - spending real dollars that benefits conservation.

Its the knife as trophy in todays world.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would argue the general public and media in the US is not as anti hunting as AR members make it out to be. Same time the general public is far more anti trophy hunting than AR members think it is.

On AR you will get lynched for shooting an eland of the back of a truck. The general public cares less if it sold as a hunting for meat thing

http://www.cnn.com/video/shows...th-africa/index.html

Cutting an elephant tail will get you a atta boy on AR but the general public will be horrified.

I really don't think it is possible to change the general publics view on trophy hunting.

I am with Steve Arhenberg - if you going to do trophy hunting (cats, elephants) stay out of the social media and general media spotlight.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It's a very dicey issue. The hunting magazines do a good job of keeping the trophy photos clean.

When I was younger, I didn't pay attention to trophy photos, but then I had to go wait for them to be developed (I rarely could afford the one hour processing, as could be evidenced by the Keystone or Busch cans in the bed of my truck with the "trophy").

I am also glad I grew up before camera phones and the sort. I had to explain enough when I went on job interviews or applied to schools.

It is a different world now, but do we conform or stick to our guns? I can't answer that, as each person is entitled to their own approach. My view is; if it is legal and clean, go forth. Legal is easy to define, clean can be up to interpretation.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would argue the general public and media in the US is not as anti hunting as AR members make it out to be. Same time the general public is far more anti trophy hunting than AR members think it is.

On AR you will get lynched for shooting an eland of the back of a truck. The general public cares less if it sold as a hunting for meat thing

http://www.cnn.com/video/shows...th-africa/index.html

Cutting an elephant tail will get you a atta boy on AR but the general public will be horrified.

I really don't think it is possible to change the general publics view on trophy hunting.

I am with Steve Arhenberg - if you going to do trophy hunting (cats, elephants) stay out of the social media and general media spotlight.

Mike

Cutting the tail of an elephant cannot be compared to smearing your wife's or kids face with blood.Cutting the tail just before an elephant is skinned.I think you like posting ridiculous things to get attention.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't answer that, as each person is entitled to their own approach. My view is; if it is legal and clean, go forth. Legal is easy to define, clean can be up to interpretation.

Good comment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I don't "expect" others to approve of the bloody face thing, but neither do I expect my colleagues on this forum to be openly critical of our traditions. I make it a habit not to criticize shooting deer under feeders, extremely long range "hunting", hunting with suppressors, not so primitive weapons, crossbows, spears, etc, etc, etc. I do my thing and expect you to do your thing. Under the big tent of hunting we should not be critical of other folks methods unless they are clearly illegal or against the teachings of our faith. Once you deny me my method, I will join the ranks of those against yours. It is a death spiral.
I just thought I would point this out to everyone. I still couldn't care less if anybody else approves of it.

Excellent post Butch.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
quote:
I don't "expect" others to approve of the bloody face thing, but neither do I expect my colleagues on this forum to be openly critical of our traditions. I make it a habit not to criticize shooting deer under feeders, extremely long range "hunting", hunting with suppressors, not so primitive weapons, crossbows, spears, etc, etc, etc. I do my thing and expect you to do your thing. Under the big tent of hunting we should not be critical of other folks methods unless they are clearly illegal or against the teachings of our faith. Once you deny me my method, I will join the ranks of those against yours. It is a death spiral.
I just thought I would point this out to everyone. I still couldn't care less if anybody else approves of it.

Excellent post Butch.jc

The flaw in that logic Butch is what others do does impact what you are able to do. A dentist with a history of game law violations from Minnesota decided to hunt a lion at night along the boundary of a national park with a bow and shot a collared lion. That became the rallying point for those that had been working for years to eliminate lion hunting. Game ranchers in South Africa decided to feed the demand for lion hunting by offering captive bred lion hunts of lions raised to be shot that were never intended to live and breed outside of a pen. That likewise became a rallying point for those interested in eliminating lion hunting. We know how that story ended . . . lions were uplisted.

Two points. One, we live in a different day and age with the prevalence of the Internet, social media and the like. We can pretend that old traditions should remain inviolate but the reality is that if the actions of a few are deemed reprehensible by the public at large, the few should not be surprised if their traditions come under attack when they lay them out in public places accessible to the general public. Two, tell those folks that had lion hunts booked after USFWS uplisted the lion that you should be allowed to do your thing and they can do their thing. Not the way it worked . . . their ability to do their thing was denied due to the actions of those that preceded them.

If folks want to rub blood all over each other faces, have at it. But it is beyond the possibility of serious debate that doing so today and putting your handiwork on display on the Internet and social media for all to see is shortsighted. And it is not a situation of "you mind your business and I will mind mine" . . . because in this instance your actions do have a real possibility of impacting others. I am as guilt as anyone of falling into this mindset in the past but at some point we have to realize that times are changing, hunting and hunters represent a minority and rubbing the noses of the public in the sport is not going to cause them to be more accepting or understanding of the sport . . . particularly practices like "blooding". If we do not start playing the game smarter, we should not be surprised, and will largely have ourselves to blame, when the next nail is hammered into the coffin of hunting.

. . . now, heeding the advice given by my colleagues above, back to my knitting while I grow a set of cojones . . . knit one, purl two, knit one, purl two . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:

Excellent post Butch.jc

The flaw in that logic Butch is what others do does impact what you are able to do. A dentist with a history of game law violations from Minnesota decided to hunt a lion at night along the boundary of a national park with a bow and shot a collared lion. That became the rallying point for those that had been working for years to eliminate lion hunting. Game ranchers in South Africa decided to feed the demand for lion hunting by offering captive bred lion hunts of lions raised to be shot that were never intended to live and breed outside of a pen. That likewise became a rallying point for those interested in eliminating lion hunting. We know how that story ended . . . lions were uplisted.

Two points. One, we live in a different day and age with the prevalence of the Internet, social media and the like. We can pretend that old traditions should remain inviolate but the reality is that if the actions of a few are deemed reprehensible by the public at large, the few should not be surprised if their traditions come under attack when they lay them out in public places accessible to the general public. Two, tell those folks that had lion hunts booked after USFWS uplisted the lion that you should be allowed to do your thing and they can do their thing. Not the way it worked . . . their ability to do their thing was denied due to the actions of those that preceded them.

If folks want to rub blood all over each other faces, have at it. But it is beyond the possibility of serious debate that doing so today and putting your handiwork on display on the Internet and social media for all to see is shortsighted. And it is not a situation of "you mind your business and I will mind mine" . . . because in this instance your actions do have a real possibility of impacting others. I am as guilt as anyone of falling into this mindset in the past but at some point we have to realize that times are changing, hunting and hunters represent a minority and rubbing the noses of the public in the sport is not going to cause them to be more accepting or understanding of the sport . . . particularly practices like "blooding". If we do not start playing the game smarter, we should not be surprised, and will largely have ourselves to blame, when the next nail is hammered into the coffin of hunting.

. . . now, heeding the advice given by my colleagues above, back to my knitting while I grow a set of cojones . . . knit one, purl two, knit one, purl two . . .

You might want to remove that word from your lexicon in relation to hunting. The masses you speak of don't accept hunting as a sport and certainly don't like it when you get a trophy for your sport.

On a side note....have you tried counted cross stitch?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Excellent post Butch.jc

You might want to remove that word from your lexicon in relation to hunting. The masses you speak of don't accept hunting as a sport and certainly don't like it when you get a trophy for your sport.

Actually you are wrong. More than 50% of adult Americans nationwide strongly or moderately support "sport" as a motivation for hunting compared to about 25% where a "trophy" is the motivation. Always best to understand the data before stating conclusions.

. . . now back to the knitting . . . knit one, purl two, knit one, purl two . . .

tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Excellent post Butch.jc

Actually you are wrong. More than 50% of adult Americans nationwide strongly or moderately support "sport" as a motivation for hunting compared to about 25% where a "trophy" is the motivation. Always best to understand the data before stating conclusions.

. . . now back to the knitting . . . knit one, purl two, knit one, purl two . . .

tu2

I'd rather have the 85% approval rating that hunting for meat enjoys.

Surely someone as intelligent as you would like better odds than 50/50 of pissing off the general public with your choice of words. After all aren't you advocating we avoid pissing off the masses with photos? Certainly the choice of words also has impact.

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have now read through many, but God help me, not all of the responses from the cerebral to emotiona: Some trying to give perspective and some just venting. There are rituals, right of passage, ceremonies in every culture and every family. They frankly just go with being part of the human race. This is just one of those pieces.

BUT HERE IS THE THING: we now take PICTURES of EVERYTHING. Think about this and you will see that the story, the verbal recounting, the memory after the fact is no longer the point. We have to video or photograph EVERYTHING. Then the picture takes the personal experience and sells it to all the world, for good or bad. Think about it.

Steve

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Excellent post Butch.jc

tu2

. . . good to see you are now focused on the actual data. tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Excellent post Butch.jc

tu2

. . . good to see you are now focused on the actual data. tu2

Mike, I edited my post while you replied. I think you missed the rest.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Since we are on the subject of polls, and you seem to be a believer in polls, want to take a guess at how traditions like "blooding" would fare in a poll of adult Americans nationwide?

Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I will express my feelings on the matter as bluntly as possible

I don't care what others think about what my wife and I do.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . neither did Dr. Palmer . . . and there is no question that his actions have hurt the future of hunting for all of us. The point is not that folks should stop doing what they choose and enjoy, the point is that we need to be more thoughtful about what we share and post on the Internet . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Actually what we need is an organization that fights for hunting rights as the NRA fights for USA firearms rights

24/7/365 and they relentlessly will never back down

DSC and SCI don't measure up to the type of fighter the NRA is

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote