Find
Notify
Tools

THE BLOODY FACE THING
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
Ted Thorn's picture of his wife being bloodied (I suppose in RSA) made me wonder. Is this an old tradition on the African continent or is it limited to certain ranches in RSA?

THREAD

BTW Ted, it's awesome that your wife enjoys hunting with you.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I saw this a lot when you got your first deer in western PA.
Usually just a streak or two, but I think it's become much less common.
Tom

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have no idea about the origin of this tradition but it certainly seems like another of those things that if done, the sport of hunting would be better served in this day and age by not plastering all over social media. Just one person's opinion. In terms of hunting related traditions, I would think traditions like letzebissen, or last bite, would be more appropriate today . . . where the animal is being honored and respected. Again, not intending to derail the thread just occurred to me how this particular tradition might be viewed by the non-hunting community.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I have no idea about the origin of this tradition but it certainly seems like another of those things that if done, the sport of hunting would be better served in this day and age by not plastering all over social media. Just one person's opinion. In terms of hunting related traditions, I would think traditions like letzebissen, or last bite, would be more appropriate today . . . where the animal is being honored and respected. Again, not intending to derail the thread just occurred to me how this particular tradition might be viewed by the non-hunting community.

Mike,

I don't necessarily disagree with you on how an anti or neutral non-hunter might look at a bloody face picture but I also feel like you have fallen very deeply into the PC Pit. What next? Don't dare take a picture holding a gun anywhere near a dead animal?

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hard for me to see how we do ourselves any favors by rubbing the nose of the non-hunting community in a sport many find, if not offensive, at least unsettling . . . you might call that PC, I prefer to think of it simply as trying to play smart to preserve the sport long term. In that regard, I think photos that depict a hunter showing respect for an animal versus photos that show a hunter celebrating the killing of an animal do a better job of presenting the sport in a positive light. Obviously opinions vary.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hard for me to see how we do ourselves any favors by rubbing the nose of the non-hunting community in a sport many find, if not offensive, at least unsettling . . . you might call that PC, I prefer to think of it simply as trying to play smart to preserve the sport long term. In that regard, I think photos that depict a hunter showing respect for an animal versus photos that show a hunter celebrating the killing of an animal do a better job of presenting the sport in a positive light. Obviously opinions vary.

My opinion doesn't vary. As a matter of fact I think you should consider stopping the use of the words "sport" or "trophy" in relation to the animals you kill. You used "sport" above.

As far as letzebissen is concerned I saw a picture pasted onto social media (not by the hunter) of an Elephant with a branch in it's mouth posed after the hunt. The captions read, "Heartless killer murders elephant while it's eating"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Mike,

I don't necessarily disagree with you on how an anti or neutral non-hunter might look at a bloody face picture but I also feel like you have fallen very deeply into the PC Pit. What next? Don't dare take a picture holding a gun anywhere near a dead animal?

Cheers
Jim

I'm with you. I am not on any of the social media sites. But I am not into "harvest" and other PC terms or actions.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have seen this - and other funny habits - being applied while hunting, but, non has appealed to me.

I think every culture should enjoy their version of it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
At least Mike didn't use the word Harvest!
Roosevelt and Bull's video In The Blood showed the blooding of the young hunter's face and a female student I know of may years ago had her face bloodied with the first animal she shot in Africa. I've never seen this done to a hunter with experience so maybe it is a thing for new hunters.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife's first moose resulted in blood smears on her cheeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Louisiana it is common practice-at least in my family-to have blood put on your face from the first deer you harvest.

My Dad bloodied my face just like his did to him.

I put blood on my nephew's face when he took his.

I think some friends of mine in South Carolina also do it.

Where practice started from, I do not know.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After taking my first deer as a child, my father streaked my face with its blood (not painted). I also drank from a cup of its blood. It was a solemn but happy occasion for the both of us.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post

It was a GRAND day!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Mike is right about this
This blood thing is kinda stupid

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
We, unfortunately, live in different times. I'm really happy we didn't have camera phones while I was in school. Not that I did wrong (it was fun), but no context.

The blood thing doesn't make sense, but what about the Muslim tradition? I don't know the perfect translation, but I'm sure others do.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done this for both of my boys and nephews. It was symbolic as they became blooded hunters by killing an animal.

I have done the last bite ceremony, but not always.

Hunting causes bloodshed, and animals die. In my house, those same animals get fully processed by us and into our freezer to provide many meals and gifts.

If the animal has larger than average antlers/horns, or the hunt especially meaningful, we have physical reminders of the experience. Be it framed pictures, taxidermy, or objects made from the animal.

I am not going to apologize for being a hunter and an active participant in the best conservation model we have.

One of my biggest personal hang ups with my upcoming Africa trip is not being able to personally utilize all the animal. Although I know it will not go to waste and we will have meals from those same animals while we are there.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was not something in my family's traditions. Personally, I find it silly, but hardly something I object to.

On the other hand, some people tend to take pictures of all kinds of things that I find of dubious value, so if you like it, do it...

Just don't feel you have to post it for all to see.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I don't get the blooding thing either. I think the true initiation of a hunter is taking the first bite of the first animal he kills. When my daughter gets around to hunting, no way will I slather blood on her face - she'll have enough on her hands from gutting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another very old tradition, at least in Africa, is to place a leafy shoot in an animal's (and especially with an elephant) mouth after it has been killed, as a "last meal for the afterlife" sort of respect. This dates from the 18th century, but is rarely seen anymore.
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

My opinion doesn't vary. As a matter of fact I think you should consider stopping the use of the words "sport" or "trophy" in relation to the animals you kill. You used "sport" above.

As far as letzebissen is concerned I saw a picture pasted onto social media (not by the hunter) of an Elephant with a branch in it's mouth posed after the hunt. The captions read, "Heartless killer murders elephant while it's eating"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This tradition go way back in Germany and Poland. It is not a part of Scandinavias hunting culture..

I find it a bit odd but respect their traditions.

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Barry , not Africa, but you will find almost all hunters in Germany, Austria and a lot of Central and Eastern Europe, practice the 'Letztebiss' ( the last bite ) in respect to the animal taken. Traditionally the successful hunter will also be given a sprig of the same plant, bush or whatever used which he / she sticks in his / her hat to show that he / she has taken an animal.

Blooding rights - Africa, Europe and elsewhere date back hundreds of years to when the young hunter took his first animal alone and was blooded as a hunter for all to see.

In SA, eating a piece of the raw liver is also often common practice alongside being blooded.

Me, I am a great believer in traditions in hunting and a lot of other things and happy to see them go forward but they should be explained to the uninformed if they are put out in the public space.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in Germany, apart from the always practiced "last bite", wiping a small leafy twig into the blood of a downed animal and then wiping the hunter's face with it seemed to be another quaint oddity to me as was playing the horn etc. All of these practices along with the hunting music are learned as part of the study required for a Jagdschein (hunting licence). Likewise you never walked or stood over top of the animal when gralloching or gutting it.

I imagine many early groups or tribes commonly practiced decorating the body with blood or drinking the blood of an animal after a kill so nothing new about this.

Should we practice any of these and post photos in the media - we are free to do what we want but unfortunately trial by social media today is so powerful it can bring down governments and the most powerful individuals in the democratic world except of course Putin and Jong-Un - are they hunters? Pity.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
What about the camp crew singing and cheering a successful hunt?

Heck, let's forget it all.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus 1. Well said

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can add shootgasms, fist bumps, yee haa, and naming bucks you found on your trail camera to the list of stupid shit guys do. And for that matter, the bleach blonde cunt huntresses that are just like totally like too cool, ya know? OMG!

No fucking wonder I like to hunt solo......

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have seen this - and other funny habits - being applied while hunting, but, non has appealed to me.
+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
In Spain ir is a big tradition to blood not only your face... There is a trial in monteria with an old hunter as a judge, an accussin side and a fellow hunter aS lawyer. The tradition is from the 16th century and it is not going to end because of what others think. Bloody and messy yes but it has a context.

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the tradition started in the Scandinavian and Germanic countries way back when.

I was bloodied when I shot my first mule deer in Colorado by a retired Command Master Sergeant who had lived in Germany for a number of years.

Besides the animal's blood being smeared on your face, a sprig of vegetation is placed in the animal's mouth after being touched to the animal's wound (representing its last meal) and a snippet of that sprig is placed in your hat band (or in my case a small slit in my hat).

I think it is a way of showing respect for the animal whose life you just took.

That ceremony certainly helped me enjoy the memory of my first mule deer (an uneven 5 pointer).

BH63

PS As for eating raw liver, I will pass. I don't even like cooked liver.

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a very common practice in Louisiana. I was bloodied, my son was bloodied, my wife was bloodied, my grandchildren will be bloodied. It is harmless and it is a tradition. I couldn't care less what the rest of the world thinks.
We also eat a lot of things others would not allow if they had their way.

Cheers,

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many in North America think its an old Indian custom but it actually dates back to around 700 AD in Europe. Some believe in France with St. Hubris, the patron saint of hunters and then spread to England and Germany, English fox hunters supposedly did this with a new fox hunter after his first kill and was applied with the foxes tail, and then it spread to America from European immigrates. It's a tradition in Many hunting camps in Texas and if questioned around the campfire there is no telling where people may say the tradition came from.....

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
This dates from the 18th century, but is rarely seen anymore.

This tradition goes back into pre-history when you had to kill to eat and for the first kill it was something like an introduction into manhood.

On my first safari, my new leather hat received finger wipes of the blood of all the animals taken and the traces are still there. This does lead to some interestin questions and discussions, but I still wear that hat in Africa and on some cool weather hunts in the states.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

While I do agree in principle, facebook, twitter, etc could vanish from the planet and I wouldn't give a ratsasss.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel, and have always felt is was an unwise action that was looked on unfavorably by most. Surly we can find another way to welcome a new hunter into the ranks.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the old traditions as to some of the moronic actions I see on some of the shows today.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I shot my first red stag I was 'blooded', when I shot my first boar in Alsace I was also 'blooded' a small fir bough was dipped in the blood of the boar and I was struck in the face with it as a reproach for taking the life of such a noble beast. I was honoured to be treated in such a fashion. It is regarded by those who still practise these traditions as a sign that you have joined the brotherhood of those who have earned their seat at the hunters table.
It is also a way for the hunter who guided you to your quarry to asses your worthiness. If you kill but shy away from the blood or the action of preparing your game you may become a repeat client but you won't become a friend. You will be like the wing shooter who picks his game up by a wing tip or a foot to avoid the blood of the game YOU HAVE JUST KILLED. To take life you must experience the aftermath.
In Alsace and the rest of Europe tradition is very strong. Horns are blown before and after a hunt, The Last Bite is given, only successful hunters may raise a glass with a right hand etcetera. To lose the tradition and reverence for the game, to relegate it to a commodity on the hoof to be shied away from after the shot is in my opinion and that of many others a shame on the hunter and a cardinal sin in the field.
Whenever I shoot I give a last bite, I never fail to take a moment of reflection and hope to never see the whooping and high fiveing appear in the group of people I am proud to call friends.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
2 cents here

A proper right of passage, historically imposed / celebrated with kids (usually boys) has been to participate in gutting your own first kill. On safari, staff usually do the "African gut thing" as I call it and what's left is applying blood to the face instead.

European tradition of the last meal, transfer of the "meal" to the guide's hat and onward to the hunter's is seen to honor the hunt. Hokey to us, terribly important to them.

We just go with the flow and let the local tradition prevail. That said, holding a cat like a rag doll, parading around in a chair pretending you are an African chief, etc. isn't part of why I hunt and I could care less if we miss out on that. Neither would I go along with having a witchdoctor bless my rifle, BTW. I go prayed up and don't play for that team!

If it enhances the hunt, enjoy! (Privately, right Mike?)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For crissakes, people used to tie a deer to the hood of the car and drive it proudly down the Main Street in the 50's.

I don't do the social media thing either, but it's more an employment issue than anything else. And I'll damned well shake a buddy's hand if he takes an animal, any animal, because we're as much meat hunters as trophy hunters and when the season is on "if it's brown it goes down".

This "keep it out of the mainstream to avoid upsetting anyone's sensibilities" has gotten us where we are today. People take offence at the idea of hunting, much less actual pictures. Insulating them further from REALITY by being afraid to participate in traditions is just pandering to the whole "I have a right not to be offended" crowd. Fuck them. Let them join the real world.

Next we're going to have to stop shirt-tailing hunters who miss a shot for fear of being accused of bullying. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no idea about the origin of this tradition but it certainly seems like another of those things that if done, the sport of hunting would be better served in this day and age by not plastering all over social media. Just one person's opinion.

OMG - grow some balls will you! That tradition has been around for ever!

No wonder the antis are wining - maybe you should try knitting......lol!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just can not believe how some think we should just change everything we do to make others happy. I think it is time some guys take the skirts off put some pants on and stop sitting to pee now.

We blame social media and anything else we can when we are our own problem changing to make others happy. Maybe we can just keep the bows and guns out of the pictures and act like the animal is just sleeping and that will make them all happy

Posts: 578 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Tradition, right of passage, politically correct (or not), etc., apparently an anti-hunting troll posted the photo on Lion Aid's Facebook page along with the following caption "A Medieval European Rite Now Coming to Africa". Just sharing an observation.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote