Find
Notify
Tools

Captive bred Lion shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen as a hunting community we have to look at where we want to be in 5 years time if not earlier. We have to ask ourselves the following questions.

Do we want to be hunting lion,leopard and elephant,hippo ,exotics etc.

Where are our markets
Have we got a policy that justifies selling to these markets
Who has approved the policy.
Can that policy convince or give credibility to the likes of the US fish and game and EU.

FYI Panthera and Zim Parks came out with a 5 year rule on lion 3 years ago.Many Phs,operators here in zim including myself questioned this policy. Panthera ran workshops here that got pretty heated. But it was pretty clear with 60% of our lion off take was under 5 years. Zimbabwe operators and Phs had to have a good look at ourselves in the mirror.

Policy was implemented.

Last week Panthera held the annual lion meeting and of the 40 lions shot in Zimbabwe 36 were of 5 years +. The other 4 cats were of 4 years.

Gentleman what is key here is an organisation like Panthera can now justify and give credibility to our markets like the US fish and game as well as the EU that Zimbabwe has a sound lion policy.

Personally I would like to see the same for elephant,leopard and buffalo to ensure we will be hunting in 2 years time .

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

You do know that some utter nuts are actually calling for animals to have then same rights as humans, don't you??

Yes, and the vast majority call them wrong.

We need to make those folks see just how goofy these people are.

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
Guy you hit the nail on the head tu2 along with the conservation issue hand in hand with the ethical issue , keep up the good work on Humani ,

what happened to the PH's who shot under age lion!!

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guy Whittall:
Gentlemen as a hunting community we have to look at where we want to be in 5 years time if not earlier. We have to ask ourselves the following questions.

Where are our markets
Can that policy convince or give credibility to the likes of the US fish and game and EU.

FYI Panthera and Zim Parks came out with a 5 year rule on lion 3 years ago.Many Phs,operators here in zim including myself questioned this policy. Panthera ran workshops here that got pretty heated. But it was pretty clear with 60% of our lion off take was under 5 years. Zimbabwe operators and Phs had to have a good look at ourselves in the mirror.

Policy was implemented.

Last week Panthera held the annual lion meeting and of the 40 lions shot in Zimbabwe 36 were of 5 years +. The other 4 cats were of 4 years.

Gentleman what is key here is an organisation like Panthera can now justify and give credibility to our markets like the US fish and game as well as the EU that Zimbabwe has a sound lion policy.

Personally I would like to see the same for elephant,leopard and buffalo to ensure we will be hunting in 2 years time .

Thanks Guy! I find it interesting that several years ago when we were all having "lion talks" here on AR and people like myself suggested Zimbabwe should follow suit with Tanzania and Mozambique people said it couldn't be done. And low and behold we have a 90% success rate at taking +5 year old lions 3 years into the program. Funny how I don't want to do this turns into I can't do this. Good job Guy and the other Zimbo PHs.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where are our markets

Policy was implemented.

This is exactly what must happen, if we do not regulate ourselves, someone else will do it. The captive Lion shooting industry is actually very small if you look at the bigger picture, but it does more damage than the benefits, if any, it brings to the table.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
quote:

Where are our markets

Policy was implemented.

This is exactly what must happen, if we do not regulate ourselves, someone else will do it. The captive Lion shooting industry is actually very small if you look at the bigger picture, but it does more damage than the benefits, if any, it brings to the table.

That is not the point.

The point is the antis are not going to be happy they have gotten this victory.

They want to eliminate hunting.

Period.

And despite my distaste for canned lion hunting, it is not up to the bloody antis to dictate to anyone what they should shoot or not.

I know everyone is trying to be reasonable, but those nut cases no such thing.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
quote:

Where are our markets

Policy was implemented.

That is not the point.

They want to eliminate hunting.

Period.

And despite my distaste for canned lion hunting, it is not up to the bloody antis to dictate to anyone what they should shoot or not.

I know everyone is trying to be reasonable, but those nut cases no such thing.

Saeed,

Most of us live in democracies where the nut gets the same vote as the Nobel prize winner so the antis absolutely do have the power to tell us what we can and cannot shoot if they attract sufficient political backing.

We're in a fight here and we have to be prepared to convince the currently indifferent public majority that hunting equals habitat and game conservation for the planet rather than hunting equals trophies for wankers.

Stamping our feet and saying we're not going to be dictated to by people we don't like is not a winning plan, my friend.

Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:

There really is a level of collective stupidity out there. How can anyone think that you, the .001 percent of a group that partake in a thing called hunting, can raise lion cubs in a pen...... or anything in a pen for that matter....... and then take it and truck it over to a bush pasture with high fence and kick it out of the trailer, allow someone to shoot it shortly there after, and expect the other 99.099 % to look favourably upon it.

Now Skyline, replace the lion cubs and insert Kudu, Sable, or Roan or whatever other than crocodile maybe and your statement is equally accurate. Granted, to some lions are cuter, however few would understand the R1.65 billion dollar industry of raising animals to populate small high fenced farms for the expressed purpose of hanging their head on a wall.

If you can tell anyone with any degree of intelligence that the anits are cool with all that but not raising lion, then I am happy to hear your proof.

The majority of game ranches, in anyway the ones where I hunt, do not interfere with nature, they leave the animals to feed, breed and fend for themselves with the minimum of human intervention. I know many places where Sable, Roan etc. roam freely and are not kept in small camps. The animals that are sold on auctions at very high prices are not hunted, they are bought for breeding purposes by game breeders. This is an industry in itself. In my opinion this is a pyramid scheme where the money is just going around in circles. I can see no benefit for conservation in the game breeders operation. The only good thing was the breeding of disease free Buffalo, but this became a farce now as well.

Both the captive breeding of Lion and exotic game ( as it is called lately ) have no benefits for conservation, it is a greed business. It is ok to breed with domestic animals but game should be left alone to survive with the minimum human intervention.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
We can not afford to bargain with them! Giving up even canned hunting will erode all hunting greater.

Fight the fight, don't give up ground just because you think we should.

The NRA has done well on this since the NRA's founding. No quarter should be given on gun rights.

Glad to see the bastards are getting started on hunting, albeit damn late in the game.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaco, let's be honest, it is ALL a greed business. Everyone involved from breeding to translocation to hunting is there the make a buck and an many as the market will bear. The lion industry is SA serves a purpose too. MGM Grand lions are becoming more and more rare in the wild. IF 700 - 800 pet lions are shot each year, that's 700 - 800 that are not taken in the wild.

I realize that lion are on permit, however, those hunters who want an MGM lion are going to put more and more pressure on wild lion if there is no alternative. With added pressure, populations drop and now the anits have proof that lion hunting is not sustainable and then there is no more lion hunting period. And the only lions killed will be the hundreds that are indiscriminately poisoned or shot by the locals kill each year in every country with lion - which is the real problem.

From a conservation point of view, I would rather someone take a pet lion than a sub-prime lion in the wild. Pet lions serve as a buffer.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
IF 700 - 800 pet lions are shot each year, that's 700 - 800 that are not taken in the wild.

I think we all understand what you are trying to say but it simply doesn't work that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is true. I realize that it is not a one for one deal. Lion are taken by permits and there are only so many permits. Some permits each year are not filled. If that changes because 700 - 800 lion are now off the market, more pressure will be put on wild lion.

If a guy can justify shooting a pet lion he sure as hell can justify taking a sub prime lion in the wild.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A certain number of wild lion permits are available for countries that have huntable populations....if 20 permits are issued then 20 lions are hunted. Once they run out more are not issued because of demand...at least we hope not although it is Africa and nothing would surprise me.

So captive breed lion hunting and wild lion hunting have ZERO effect on each other.

I highly doubt any wild lion quota goes unsold...lion hunts are in high demand and usually a waiting list from what Ive tried to book anyway.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Opus1, yes you make valid points. I agree with the greed, lots of people with too much money believe it is right to buy whatever they want, they just do not care about the damage they cause. This fuels corruption. Poaching is the biggest killer of wildlife, look what happened to Kenya after they banned hunting, a similar problem is developing in Botswana. The problem is 2 negatives does not make a positive. We as hunters should clean up our industry and hunt because we love it and care for our environment. We should not keep quiet about the wrongs and regulate ourselves.

I had many successes in turning the thought of people who was opposed to hunting because they were ill informed. If hunting is done in a ethical sustainable manner we can sell the benefits of hunting and people will see the role that hunting is playing in the conservation of wild life. The moment they hear of unsustainable and unethical practises they turn around and became anti hunting. You just need 1 rotten apple to spoil the whole bag, unfortunately we have a couple of rotten apples in the bag.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaco I realize we are fighting a PR war and that ignorance on both sides of the issue are the problem. There are elements within the hunting community that provide a service to some hunters that is pretty much trophy to order service. Some bozo wants as 60" Kudu and doesn't want to hunt for one. So an enterprising PH buys one, stick it on his property and down goes one 60" Kudu. Happens in this country too. A lot of exotics are flown to Texas each year for the same practice.

Back in the hay days of the 80's and 90's there was a very well known PH who was steadily supplying rhino and few could figure out how until they saw the trucks bring them in from all over the place.

There are a lot of dark players on either side of the hunting business. And if some of these practices were publicized, it would only inflame those who do not understand the ethical side of hunting.

Is pet lion hunting "ethical"? I would say yes as long as everyone knows what they are doing. It is hunting? Hell no. You are basically shooting someone's pet. Same if you go to Montana and shoot a Bison. It was someone's pet once upon a time.

But I also feel that way about high fenced hunting. It is not my cup of tea and I don't find anything about it natural. But high fenced hunting is serving a purpose just like pet lion shooting is serving a purpose. But if we concede pet lion hunting today, then we will be conceding the artificial environments that is high fenced hunting tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if we concede pet lion hunting today, then we will be conceding the artificial environments that is high fenced hunting tomorrow.

Many may disagree with me but I don't see that as a bad thing. We should voluntarily abandon such practices (before we are forced to in any case) but it should be part of a bigger plan which works for the habitat, animals, governments, local communities and hunters. It does not require a giant leap in thinking, just cooperation between the interested parties.

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
quote:
But if we concede pet lion hunting today, then we will be conceding the artificial environments that is high fenced hunting tomorrow.

Many may disagree with me but I don't see that as a bad thing. We should voluntarily abandon such practices (before we are forced to in any case) but it should be part of a bigger plan which works for the habitat, animals, governments, local communities and hunters. It does not require a giant leap in thinking, just cooperation between the interested parties.

Exactly tu2 tu2

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
We can not afford to bargain with them! Giving up even canned hunting will erode all hunting greater . . . The NRA has done well on this since the NRA's founding.

Two fallacious arguments.

No one is suggesting that abandoning canned lion hunting will appease the antis. The battle is for the hearts and minds of the what was described above as the indifferent public majority. The latter group is the key to the continued ability to hunt. If we cannot convince them of the conservation and other benefits of hunting, hunting will not be sustainable long term. And it is simply beyond the ability of being credibly argued that canned lion hunting can be demonstrated to that indifferent public majority as being an acceptable practice. So we allow canned lion hunting, a practice most members of the indifferent public majority find repulsive, to define hunting more generally. We are absolutely foolish to continue to defend it and to do so just hastens the day our hunting rights are taken away.

The NRA is too smart to pick losing battles. While they are passionate defenders of the Second Amendment, they are also attune to public sentiment. The NRA will not fight for the right to exercise concealed carry on a plane, in a bar, at a professional sporting event, etc. Why? Because they are smart enough to know that the public views such restrictions as reasonable and that to argue for such rights would cause the NRA to lose credibility. You simply cannot defend the indefensible without coming away looking foolish and out of touch. The sooner hunters learn this the better.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:

But I also feel that way about high fenced hunting. It is not my cup of tea and I don't find anything about it natural. But high fenced hunting is serving a purpose just like pet lion shooting is serving a purpose. But if we concede pet lion hunting today, then we will be conceding the artificial environments that is high fenced hunting tomorrow.

If a high fenced area is managed correctly it can be just as satisfying as a hunt in a natural area. The open areas in Africa also have fences, they may not be steel wire, but areas are burnt to lure animals with the new sprouts, waterholes are created. bait is put out etc. All of this create fences although they look different the serve the same purpose - to keep the animals in a certain area.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaco, not sure we can agree that a 2,000 hectare high fenced property with 9 - 14 species is "natural" any more than a Bush Gardens Africa Adventure park.

While some may accept this as natural, most of the 9,000 game farms in RSA didn't just corral the local species and feed them.

I don't have a problem with these operations, but natural they are not.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
No one is suggesting that.....will appease the antis. The battle is for the hearts and minds of the what was described above as the indifferent public majority........You simply cannot defend the indefensible without coming away looking foolish and out of touch. The sooner hunters learn this the better.

Wow! I could not agree more. Canned hunting is indefensible. We are fighting for the middle and canned hunting will lose that for us. It's time to move on and be proactive about cleaning up our act WHERE NEEDED instead of waiting for someone to beat us over the head with the skeletons in our closet.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So are we going to crap on all other questionable hunting practices because someone might be offended?

I cannot fathom why anyone would run an animal up a tree with a pack of dogs only to casually walk up to the tree and shoot a mountain lion out of it.

Or how about using a game call and scent attractants to lure the unsuspecting animal into a kill zone?

Or using a spread feeder and then shooting a deer, hog or bear from underneath it.

Or creating an artificial feed lot for duck, geese, dove, pheasant, quail to be drawn in so they can be shot.

Or hanging a bait in a tree and using a spot light to kill a leopard.

Or using beaters to drive birds towards shooters.

Or releasing a fox and chasing it with dogs and horses.

Or a live pigeon shoot.

I believe we can all sit around and dream up all sorts of quasi ethical hunting practices. Most of which occur with great frequency that I am sure the Average Joe would probably start turning green over. Where does it begin and/or end? And pray tell, who is going to be the ethics police among us???

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
This entire discussion does nothing but give fuel to the anti's fire.

And yes, it is the antis that we should be worried about because they are the ones that lead the fight against us. The world did not know Cecil until the antis raised a fuss about his death. Other than those that see hunting pictures posted on social media then write negative comments about them, most people don't give much thought to hunting until the antis make a stink about it.

Just about every one of us on this forum participate in trophy hunting in one way or another. Outfitters, PH's, and guides around the world don't make their living and survive from cull and meat hunts. When we go on a high dollar hunt, just about every one of us hunters tries to kill the largest or oldest male of the species that we are hunting. Guides and PH's also try to have their clients shoot the largest or oldest male animal of the species that they are hunting.

High fence hunting does not necessarily mean easy hunting or guaranteed kills. It depends more on the size, vegetation, and terrain of the property.

Calling animals "pets" does absolutely nothing for our cause. You may be able to pet a lion cub, but I doubt that you could pet that same animal 3, 4, or 5 years later. Ted Turner's ranches in Montana are measured in sections, not acres, and they are not contained in 8' high fences, only 4 strand barb wire which adult buffalo can push over or even jump over. His buffalo are as wild as any North American buffalo, and were never anyone's pet.

We as hunters and outfitters must stand and fight together and quit fighting among ourselves or we will lose all of our hunting.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:

And yes, it is the antis that we should be worried about because they are the ones that lead the fight against us. The world did not know Cecil until the antis raised a fuss about his death. Other than those that see hunting pictures posted on social media then write negative comments about them, most people don't give much thought to hunting until the antis make a stink about it.

Just about every one of us on this forum participate in trophy hunting in one way or another. Outfitters, PH's, and guides around the world don't make their living and survive from cull and meat hunts. When we go on a high dollar hunt, just about every one of us hunters tries to kill the largest or oldest male of the species that we are hunting. Guides and PH's also try to have their clients shoot the largest or oldest male animal of the species that they are hunting.

High fence hunting does not necessarily mean easy hunting or guaranteed kills. It depends more on the size, vegetation, and terrain of the property.

Calling animals "pets" does absolutely nothing for our cause. You may be able to pet a lion cub, but I doubt that you could pet that same animal 3, 4, or 5 years later. Ted Turner's ranches in Montana are measured in sections, not acres, and they are not contained in 8' high fences, only 4 strand barb wire which adult buffalo can push over or even jump over. His buffalo are as wild as any North American buffalo, and were never anyone's pet.

We as hunters and outfitters must stand and fight together and quit fighting among ourselves or we will lose all of our hunting.

I'm certainly NOT going to stand and fight for the continuation of canned hunting.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm certainly NOT going to stand and fight for the continuation of canned hunting.

+1

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does that include ALL canned hunting or just one species?

And then what about shooting sub prime species?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So are we going to crap on all other questionable hunting practices because someone might be offended?

I cannot fathom why anyone would run an animal up a tree with a pack of dogs only to casually walk up to the tree and shoot a mountain lion out of it.

Or how about using a game call and scent attractants to lure the unsuspecting animal into a kill zone?

Or using a spread feeder and then shooting a deer, hog or bear from underneath it.

Or creating an artificial feed lot for duck, geese, dove, pheasant, quail to be drawn in so they can be shot.

Or a live pigeon shoot.

I believe we can all sit around and dream up all sorts of quasi ethical hunting practices. Most of which occur with great frequency that I am sure the Average Joe would probably start turning green over. Where does it begin and/or end? And pray tell, who is going to be the ethics police among us???

Good Post....allot to think about.

Even go one step further....how about waiting for a Deer to feed on dropped acorns?

When does it end?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Good point, we should just ignore the perceptions of the non-hunting public. Heck, if we want to hunt puppies and house cats, who are they to tell us what we can and cannot do? It is that whole slippery slope thing right. Just because a large segment of the public finds canned lion hunting repugnant and disgusting if we just ignore them perhaps they will go away or forget about it. Full speed ahead Captain Smith.

Roll Eyes

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So do you support - shooting a sub-prime lion in the wild (which by the way I find repugnant and disgusting) or a pet lion?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Then you are part of the problem--

Hunters have created this issue by the simple use of the phrase "canned Hunting"-99.9 % of antis don't care whether it is raised or wild--they just don't want us doing it!!

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So do you support - shooting a sub-prime lion in the wild (which by the way I find repugnant and disgusting) or a pet lion?

If you are asking me then my answer is "Neither"

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I keep asking MJines be he keeps dodging the question for some reason.

But I am with you LT, I would do neither.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually I keep asking MJines be he keeps dodging the question for some reason.

But I am with you LT, I would do neither.

I think that the 6 year rule is a great idea and if it weren't so difficult to do, I would implement the same for Leopard as well....to me the well being of the species is much more important than our success rate.

I wouldn't shoot a pen-raised Lion for freeSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of us wouldn't do it.... The argument is whether we should defend the right of others to.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or a live pigeon shoot.

And the list goes on.

Eventually it will be you have to kill it with your bare hands, and you have to be starving, or no hunting.

The bullshit will never stop.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Saw someone, an elephant hunter I believe, make the comment, obviously somewhat sarcastically, "Good point, we should just ignore the perceptions of the non-hunting public. Heck, if we want to hunt puppies and house cats, who are they to tell us what we can and cannot do?".

Does this person not realize that the non hunting public equates hunting elephants to hunting puppies and house cats and that by hunting elephants he himself is "ignoring the perception of the non-hunting public, and taking the position of "who are they to tell us what we can and cannot do"? Huh? Is he ready to give up hunting elephants to save hunting based on catering to same?

Posts: 6 | Location: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
I wouldn't shoot a pen-raised Lion for freeSmiler

...........................................................Nor would I! old However at least the guy who does shoot one is not taking one from the wild so doesn't hurt the wild population!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South Africa was colonized so long ago that everywhere is basically fenced farmland, but I think PHASA has made a good decision and taken the only correct stand, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't just for the PR value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I GOT to agree with Saeed All over the world animals are raised for hunting hell in New ZEAALND The farm the Red stag like sheep!! were do we draw the line?? once they win the lion issue there focus will just move to some other species.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
I GOT to agree with Saeed All over the world animals are raised for hunting hell in New ZEAALND The farm the Red stag like sheep!! were do we draw the line?? once they win the lion issue there focus will just move to some other species.

If we don't get our act together it won't be us drawing the line at all. We will be so far behind the curve of public opinion that hunters will be in danger of being mere passengers in the process and it won't end well. Time is running out to take charge of our own destiny by abandoning indefensible practices and digging in on ground where we are confident of winning the conservation debate.

We are responsible for the next generation's hunting and I don't see how attempting to defend canned lion shooting furthers that cause.