THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    MOZ:Two Professional Hunters Arrested for killing an elephant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOZ:Two Professional Hunters Arrested for killing an elephant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mozambique: Foreign Poachers Arrested in Beira
7 July 2009

Maputo — The Mozambican police have arrested two professional hunters, both European nationals, for killing an elephant belonging to the Gorongosa National Park (PNG), in the central province of Sofala.

According to the PNG Communication Department, the two are Victor Ildefonso Anselmo, of Portuguese nationality, linked to the company "Ideal Safaris", and a Frenchman, Julien Raymond. They were arrested on 25 June, and charged with killing a protected species, hunting during the closed season. the illegal possession of firearms, and theft of an electronic tracking collar belonging to the PNG.

The stolen collar identified the elephant, known to the PNG as "G4". This animal moved frequently between the national park and the Zambezi river, passing through hunting areas on its route. The PNG believes the elephant was killed on 18 or 19 June near Chiramba, in Chemba district.

Elephants are protected in Mozambique. The movements of the PNG's few elephants are monitored by the satellite signals issued by their collars. The PNG says that local officials and communities were perfectly aware of the animal's movements.

It seems that the two poachers did not realize that the collar was still issuing a strong signal. It was this that allowed the police to track them down and arrest them.

The PNG conservation department noted something was wrong on 12 June, when "G4" slowed down. It was suspected that the animal was injured. By 19 June the signal stopped moving at all. But on 20 June, the satellite showed that the collar was moving to a house in Beira, hundreds of kilometres from the last known position of the elephant.

On 25 June, members of the Criminal Investigation Police (PIC), accompanied by PNG staff, were able to use the signal to track the stolen collar, and the poachers, down to a specific house in the Beira neighbourhood of Palmeiras.

In the house, the police found, in addition to the stolen collar, six guns of various types, a large amount of ammunition, five elephant tusks, including those of "G4", elephant feet, and various buffalo trophies, none of which had any documentation indicated that the animals had been legally hunted.

One of the tusks was 3.7 metres long and weighed 55 kilos. Such a large tusk is regarded as national heritage, and cannot be exported.

"G4" is one of a group of six bull elephants imported from South Africa's Kruger National Park last year to restock the PNG, which lost all its elephants during the war of destabilisation. The PNG administration puts the damage done by the two poachers at 50,000 US dollars - the costs of capturing the elephant and transporting it to Mozambique, and of acquiring the satellite tracking equipment.

The Director of the PNG Conservation Department, Carlos Lopes Pereira, declared "this case shows that poaching is going on, involving unscrupulous individuals capable of killing whatever appears in front of them for easy profit".

The PNG has thanked the police for their speedy and effective cooperation in tracking down the poachers. Now the park is waiting to see what attitude the authorities responsible for licensing professional hunters will take.

Pf/ (531)

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the tusks was 3.7 metres long

Roll Eyes

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another hundred-pounder poached. Mad
I did not think that idiots could become "Professional Hunters."
Standards must be very low somewhere.
"Foreign Poachers" fits their IQ level much better.
This one belongs in the "Stupid Criminals" file:

Poacher A: "Gee, nice collar, let's take this to the warehouse too!"
Poacher B: "Duh, yep-yep-yep." homer homer

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A hundred pounder for 50K??

It's a heck of a lot cheaper than a safari.

Sign me up!!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Bringing the tracking collar home? Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure which is worse the reporting or someone being stupid enough to take a radio telemetry divice from an animal they poached and place it in their house with the rest of the evidence. If they would have shot the poachers it would be an automatic Darwin award for sure.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I wonder about the accuracy of the reporting.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Possibility that the Elephant can be a Kruger National Park (South Africa) Elephant. Those PH's must be exposed, they giving ME the bad name...

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
According to this report, the police found an elephant-sized radio collar - which the alleged poachers took home with them!

Oh yes, along with a 12 foot long, 120 pound tusk!

I wonder if the G4 elephant was pink?!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the article, I am not sure if the large tusk (100 plus) was from G4 or a different elephant.The police seized five tusks at the home including G4. I would like to know the ivory weight of G4.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://features.csmonitor.com/...naway-elephant-bull/

I think this might be one of G4's cohorts.

The video of G5 is excellent.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if these two have enough money to buy their way out, otherwise I suspect they won't survive a Moz prison. Hard to have any sympathy, but they're in deep you know what.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to believe the poachers were dumb enough to keep a working radio collar. Almost wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the tusks was 3.7 metres long and weighed 55 kilos. Such a large tusk is regarded as national heritage, and cannot be exported.

Really?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
These news reports are worse than listening to Katie Couric. Usually highly inaccurate and misleading.

And the G5 video? Good grief. The do-gooders strike again w/stupidy supreme.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
These news reports are worse than listening to Katie Couric. Usually highly inaccurate and misleading.

And the G5 video? Good grief. The do-gooders strike again w/stupidy supreme.

I agree. It almost seems that they don't even try to get it right.

I spent three months in Zambia last year and I don't recall their news papers ever being this poor.

It's like listening to the antis spin their BS....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
let's see- 3.7 meters is about 12 plus feet. if the ivory "only" weighed about 55 kilos, must have been pretty thin. seems once again that the media SCREWED SOMETHING UP. regardless of that, there are no rocket scientists in this bunch. how stupid must you be be to take a tracking collar home?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote