New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Shockey changed loyalties?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am 57 minutes into the first episode of Uncharted. There has been 2 promotions for DSC. Not a single mention of SCI which he has always done in past years.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Smart man...he. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37739 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Packing a Remington 700 also

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
DSC is one of the show sponsors:

https://www.jimshockey.com/pag...or-channel/uncharted

I missed the first episode, but the preview show made it look awesome, very high quality. What did you think Larry?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

so not as smart lol ...

Posts: 1871 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have hunted with a Remington 700, and will do so again without giving it any thoughts.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68618 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

I have hunted with a Remington 700, and will do so again without giving it any thoughts.

Me 2 Big Grin

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only have one, but, it's a dandy and so far everytime I've fired at game they've dropped first shot.

Fine rifles for the lower priced folks that make up the majority of us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6002 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the things we do for just a little $$$...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This new show is sponsered by DSC just like the Professionals was. His other show "Hunting with Jim Shockey" is sponsered by SCI.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gone 3 weeks and this is the first post I see - ragging on SCI. Shockley's just showing loyalty to his sponsors, just like most posters here express their loyalty to this sites sponsor.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well he was in New Guinea and as the show says, "uncharted territory" so I'm guessing he took a 700 as a "throwaway gun", or maybe he can mail it back to Remington after the show to satisty the recall. DSC is the sponsor of this show and SCI of his other show.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Well he was in New Guinea and as the show says, "uncharted territory" so I'm guessing he took a 700 as a "throwaway gun", or maybe he can mail it back to Remington after the show to satisty the recall. DSC is the sponsor of this show and SCI of his other show.

I got the impression that it was not his gun.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Gone 3 weeks and this is the first post I see - ragging on SCI. Shockley's just showing loyalty to his sponsors, just like most posters here express their loyalty to this sites sponsor.

Honestly Ed, I don't see any of this as ragging on SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, really? He mentioned DSC one of the shows sponsors OK, why the need to bring SCI into the conversation.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Larry, really? He mentioned DSC one of the shows sponsors OK, why the need to bring SCI into the conversation.

Because I have never seen one of his shows where he did not plug SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry were any of those shows NOT sponsored by SCI?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the things we do for just a little $$$...

Money is what makes the world go aroud

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:

I got the impression that it was not his gun.

That was my impression, too.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shockey stated he had not shot the gun before, so I assumed it was a borrowed gun. There must have been an issue with bringing guns or he would have carried a TC.

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would venture to say that many on this site started with and still shoot the 700's. When you're twelve years old, a brand new $109.00 Rem 700 was as good as a custom made rifle. I wouldn't trade mine for that POS TC!
That said, Shockey's new show is the best I've seen in many years and he nailed it as to the true meaning of "hunting". Hat's off to the brains behind that show!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
I would venture to say that many on this site started with and still shoot the 700's. When you're twelve years old, a brand new $109.00 Rem 700 was as good as a custom made rifle. I wouldn't trade mine for that POS TC!
That said, Shockey's new show is the best I've seen in many years and he nailed it as to the true meaning of "hunting". Hat's off to the brains behind that show!

Agreed. When it comes to bolt trash rifles (no offense intended guys, just kidding). I have several Remington 700's. They shoot like a house afire, safety is about where I expect, add a Jewell trigger and life is good. Please don't tell anyone Big Grin IMO, Sharkey is a smart man to distance himself and not mention SCI.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a 700. Still busy shooting the 721 which came before. It has never let me down and lots of game has expired in front of it. Bought it third hand in 1962 for $90 but too broke to buy the $45 Weaver 4X scope.
Have yet to see the new show.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO !! Has Jim Shockey expanded his sponsorship base?? Most likely. His show/s have now become the number one outdoor/hunting/adventure shows on the Market in my opinion. He is the "real deal", does all the things himself and has accomplished what most of us just dream of. No overweight guys trudging along trying to keep up, no edited to look good pics of said client, just honest "in the dirt" stuff. And it looks like he is bringing his daughter along in the right manner as well. Class act for sure.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
In Papua New Guinea, only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition. As in several South Pacific countries, sometimes it's easier to use a loaner/rental gun than the hassle of bringing in your own. The model 700 Jim was using was not one of his, or most likely he would have been using a TC.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Matters not a whit to me who is or isn't sponsoring Jim! The guy puts some of the best adventure hunting film on television I have seen and I will continue to DIVO all his series. His stuff is as good as the genre gets, regardless of what he shoots, wears, etc. I can easily look past small distractions to focus on the overall production.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once he dumped Tony Knight, I lost interest in anything he does.

Posts: 20157 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Matters not a whit to me who is or isn't sponsoring Jim! The guy puts some of the best adventure hunting film on television I have seen and I will continue to DIVO all his series. His stuff is as good as the genre gets, regardless of what he shoots, wears, etc. I can easily look past small distractions to focus on the overall production.

Same here

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon - Tony Knight was one of the really good guys, met and visited with him a few times. Indeed a pioneer in the muzzle loader arena. I think Shockey switched simply as a "business" decision. Knight rifles as a Company never managed to gain the necessary capital, market exposure that T/C did, so kinda moved down the ladder in the marketplace. Damm good rifles and I owned and shot several Knight rifles in their day.

Sometimes one has to make difficult decisions when running any kind of business, so think that's what happened in this instance. JMHO. Maybe you know something I don't?

How did your trip go????

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Once he dumped Tony Knight, I lost interest in anything he does.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Fri, 04 Jul 2014 07:33:59 GMT-0700', '04 July 2014 19:33')+'</nobr>');Jul 4, 9:33 AM04 July 2014 19:33Hide PostNO !! Has Jim Shockey expanded his sponsorship base?? Most likely. His show/s have now become the number one outdoor/hunting/adventure shows on the Market in my opinion. He is the "real deal", does all the things himself and has accomplished what most of us just dream of. No overweight guys trudging along trying to keep up, no edited to look good pics of said client, just honest "in the dirt" stuff. And it looks like he is bringing his daughter along in the right manner as well. Class act for sure.

I call BULL SHIT on this response on overweight hunters.
I've seen plenty of overweight & physically challenged hunters on his shows.
Just like anybody else in the hunting industry, he'll take the hunter who can pay & will deal with what he gets & there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Grow up Larry.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same here

Here too.....by far the best hunting shows are Shockey's. He seems to be a decent enough guy as well. At DSC, I see him coming down the aisle I was on, walking my way. I stopped him, introduced myself to him, told him I loved his shows (which I do), and just offered up some small talk like "are these Texans treating you well" sort of thing. 10 minutes later we were still talking. I liked the guy quite a bit by the time it was over.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always loved The Professionals. The first Episode of Uncharted was stellar in my view.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, must of stuck a nerve there b.c? Maybe we just watch different shows or you would know where I am coming from? Smiler Just looked back through some of the Shockey shows I have on video and didn't really notice any. Maybe you can actually point out some for me when you have a chance? Nah, that's alright, just carry on with your beliefs, no problem here.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Fri, 04 Jul 2014 07:33:59 GMT-0700', '04 July 2014 19:33')+'</nobr>');Jul 4, 9:33 AM04 July 2014 19:33Hide PostNO !! Has Jim Shockey expanded his sponsorship base?? Most likely. His show/s have now become the number one outdoor/hunting/adventure shows on the Market in my opinion. He is the "real deal", does all the things himself and has accomplished what most of us just dream of. No overweight guys trudging along trying to keep up, no edited to look good pics of said client, just honest "in the dirt" stuff. And it looks like he is bringing his daughter along in the right manner as well. Class act for sure.

Just like anybody else in the hunting industry, he'll take the hunter who can pay & will deal with what he gets & there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Grow up Larry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry
For once you are right. It did strike a nerve.
You must not watch many of his tv shows or you would see quite a few of us overweigh slobs trudging along behind him trying to keep up.
I also like Shockey & think he is a really nice gentleman.
I'm 5'6"tall & he's close to 6'6". I would have had trouble keeping pace with him before my knees went bad.
But I'll bet if I bought one of his hunts at SCI or DSC he would take me hunting & film it for tv.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bc - Didn't realize you had hunted with Jim Shockey and really don't personally care how much you weigh or how tall you are. Just mentioned the fact that Jim S. usually hunts alone or with Eva on his Professionals or new Uncharted shows and not with some of the "chubby" folks (fact not fiction) seen on other shows. Sorry this offended your sensitive side.

Back on topic and sorry for the interruption. Jim S. does a real good job bringing up his sponsors in interesting ways and kinda blends them in with the content of what's going on during the episode.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Larry
For once you are right. It did strike a nerve.
You must not watch many of his tv shows or you would see quite a few of us overweigh slobs trudging along behind him trying to keep up.
I also like Shockey & think he is a really nice gentleman.
I'm 5'6"tall & he's close to 6'6". I would have had trouble keeping pace with him before my knees went bad.
But I'll bet if I bought one of his hunts at SCI or DSC he would take me hunting & film it for tv.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
quote:

Same here

Here too.....by far the best hunting shows are Shockey's. He seems to be a decent enough guy as well. At DSC, I see him coming down the aisle I was on, walking my way. I stopped him, introduced myself to him, told him I loved his shows (which I do), and just offered up some small talk like "are these Texans treating you well" sort of thing. 10 minutes later we were still talking. I liked the guy quite a bit by the time it was over.

Yep...Jim Shockey is the #1 tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell!

Even Shockey seen the light and dropped SCI rotflmo clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68618 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shockey has only looked for more deep pockets in DSC, any org can only sponsor so many shows. As to Jim hunting "fat old men" those shows were made when he was filming his clients in BC. The Professionals were a selected well in shape group. If I remember one of the crew almost died on one of the high mt hunts. Shockey is just the current "golden boy" of AR just give it time and he will fall from grace. Talk with some of the outfitters that have hunted him.

As to Shockey seeing the light he is still a Canauk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Grow up Larry.

I would rather watch a show profiling real (sometimes fat) hunters than the same old guy pulling the trigger. Shockey's best shows are the ones in the Yukon where he films his clients. I am less enthused when it comes to his exotic adventures. I really don't see much of a difference between his deer hunting shows and any other one on TV. And I am really growing weary of seeing daughters and wives injected into TV shows.

The whole issue of product endorsements is full of quicksand. If a celebrity endorses a product, he or she must use that product, and once they stop using it, any advertisements involving their endorsement must stop as well. And I have said many times a celebrity who is paid to endorse a product must identify that material relationship when they are endorsing a product in what is not an obvious ad. So smart celebrities are better off staying off the internet, lest they recommend a product to us for which they are being paid. Or perhaps they should indicate their sponsorships on their signature line.

Of the all those involved in outdoor media, Shockey has really done quite a job. He is not only a great hunter, but a brilliant businessman to boot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote