THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    An Unintended Buffalo (report added).
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Unintended Buffalo (report added).
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Wonderful stuff, Judge. Please let us see some more photos of that old boy's horns.

The base of the tree under whose branches Clement and Lou were bending below is clearly visible down the trail that passes along the feet of the downed buff's hooves.

Another look at the bosses. The left horn was well rounded and worn.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Your preparation was proper and the finish of the dugga boy hunt was proper! Congrats!

P.S. Must of had a rabbit's foot in your pocket for extra insurance........

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could see how running out of single malt scotch could put you in a foul humour.

Beautiful trophy animal, and a humanitarian act.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grand old buff, Judge!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Great story telling, I felt like I was there with you.

Thanks and looking forward to the rest of your report.

JPK

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you recover any of the solids and if so can you post a pic of them?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Super trophy Ernest... beautful horn confirmation and mass! The experience and memory of that hunt are worth their weight in gold. And shades of Ruark/Capstick... "the bush exploded in sun-dappled violence". You would have scored an A on your senior Lit paper for that phrase alone.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Close incounters are fun once they are over, HUH Ernest?
........ holycow..........It's a Buffalo Eeker

.......quick shoot BOOM........ holycow

................man that was scary Big Grin,,,,,,, Congratulations Ernest.beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi, my brother!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More excellent hunting and writing from the gifted one.
Capstick could not have done better in the writing.
Thanks for "the real deal."
Bravo JudgeG!

clap

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Outstanding story Ernest. Up for a Talisker Single Malt when D and I return next week? YOU EARNED IT! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and a wonderful report...You made me feel like I was there. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Well done Judge! Your stories are always over the top. Glad you sorted out your Buff and congrats on all your trophies. Looking forward to more pics.
Regards,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice bosses, Ernest, you always have the best hunts!

~Ann

Posts: 19159 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
judge , great story and great trophy ...your story captures the esscence of why we hunt big game ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Did you recover any of the solids and if so can you post a pic of them?

All of the DGS were pass throughs on the buffalo. During the entire hunt, I only recovered one DGS and that was on an insurance shot after I brained the tuskless cow. When the elephant was skinned, the bullet fell out of the fold between the off-side ribs and the shoulder. The side brain shot bullet is still orbiting, I guess?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine story, well-told. After reading this, I had to check the livingroom behind me, to be sure a 'low wasn't lining up for a go at me!

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ernest: Outstanding! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buff, Ernest. And a great, well-written story to go with it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Damn! That was awesome! You truly are a master raconteur Judge! thumb I enjoyed the h-e-double hockey sticks outta that. Smiler

Congrats too! That is a great buff.

Glad you weren't packin' one of them double barrelled gizmo's. Wink

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Money well spent I assume....... Well told and great story Not to mention a fantastic buff Big Grin

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
beer beer beer

Excellent story and pictures, Many Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. thumb

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and perfect outcome. You and Mr. Ivan Carter have posted two classics DG stories recently that truely let us all share a little of the pucker factor. Thanks.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've had some time to think about what I've learned from the experience.

First, I was hunting with perhaps as capable and professional a P.H. as exists in Africa. I don't doubt for a minute that Lou could have pulled my bacon from the fire if I had crapped my britches, but it was kind of nice to have pulled my own weight.

Second, I will never let someone carry my rifle again. With my rifle in hand, I had and retained confidence. If I had been forced to flee, I don't know that I'd ever want to go to Africa again.

Third, "Use enough gun!" has added meaning now to me. I'd have been happy to have had a 30mm chain gun.

Fourth, when my original plans for my "heavy" rifle fell through, I went ahead and put new sights on my .458 and practiced with them by shooting both at the range and in the field and then dry firing at the t.v. or the neighbor's dog (just kidding)... hours of practice... not shooting so much, but making sure the rifle was an extention of me.

Finally and very importantly, Lou sat me down the first evening by the fire. He told me that I was part of the hunt, not just an observer who happened to be the one who would eventually shoot a rifle at something. He told me that if I wounded something, that unless I told him differently, I would be expected to do my share in recovery/sorting out the mess. I believe that his quote was, "After all, isn't that what it is all about?". That statement had given me the confidence I needed to decide instantly to "get involved" and Lou would support me in my decision. In other words, I never had to have any hesitation as to whether the P.H. would approve. I'm sure there are dead people out there who waited too long, afraid that they would be second guessed. Get that straight with you P.H. early and respect his decision.

I'm not sure Lou treats all clients in a similar manner, but after three decades of taking clients hunting lions and tigers and elephants and T-Rexes (not to mention leading hundreds of men in combat), I reckon he knows what he's doing when "reading" a man. I'm proud to have been at least minimally qualified to be at his back with a loaded rifle.

While I am a legend who has become a man in his own time Big Grin, Lou is a fellow who has rightfully become "the real thing". He's not the god of safari, of course. He has his foibles as we all do, but watching one of the deans of safari just walking along in the half-light of dawn in his morning garb of shorts, gaiters, a sweat-stained HHK hat with grey hair spilling out and his beat up military great coat is really, really cool. I'd follow that man anywere.

George and Clive, you have a great daddy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge: Based on this experience would you ever carry a rifle smaller than 375 as your plains game rifle when in buffalo or elephant country? My PH and I walked up on a lion caught in a snare that was pretty far gone and presented no problem. I had a 270 with me and since then have used a 375 as my plains game gun. I often wonder what would have happened had we been a day or two earlier. Based on the number of snares I have seen IMHO this is a very real potential danger.
If you were doing this hunt again, would you take the same rifle or is a double in your future?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Very well done, Judge!

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Judge: Based on this experience would you ever carry a rifle smaller than 375 as your plains game rifle when in buffalo or elephant country? ... If you were doing this hunt again, would you take the same rifle or is a double in your future?

A .375 H&H, one of the 9.3's or at least a .338 WM seem to be a reasonable bit of insurance. Really well constructed bullets (Barnes/Swift/North Fork, etc.) would probably be a good idea, too.

P.H.'s are there to protect you. I believe the odds are very, very small that one will get hurt if he's hunting with a competent guy, but since animals are not very predictable and they don't call it DG hunting for nothing, if it makes you feel better to be "gunned" for the biggest threat possible, I suggest you get comfortable with something that, if used properly, will stop that threat.

As to doubles, I have had several and if my Searcy .450 N.E. had been ready for the trip, I would have been in my hand, a soft in the right and a solid in the left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply OUTSTANDING!!!!!! beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well done Judge..Glad you are ok and you took care of that bill collector
wonderfull report

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!!

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an important lesson to be learned about carrying your own gun. It has always made me nervous when the trackers want to carry mine. After reading this, I will never let them carry mine.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story! Well told.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have only allowed the trackers to carry my gun once and that was for about an hour. But, after reading this, I too, won't allow that to happen again.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story, wonderful buffalo. Congratulations again, Judge.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congratulations. Good report.

Isn't it amazing how those 4 or 5 seconds of pure terror, in which you could have been killed (or even worse), translate into one of the finest experiences of one's life?

Welcome home.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good show Judge!!!!!!!! Well done!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have only allowed the trackers to carry my gun once and that was for about an hour. But, after reading this, I too, won't allow that to happen again.

+1
Also, take the Judge's experience to heart.
Dry fire your gun until you can just look at a spot and your sights will magically appear precisely aligned on that spot. It just may save your bacon!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing. That is one fine story, sure glad it worked out like it did.

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
well done judge you realy gave him the death sentence

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote