THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cape Buffalo or Alaskan Brown Bear for first DG Hunt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo or Alaskan Brown Bear for first DG Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I'm hoping to do both, but I'm leaning towards a brown bear hunt on Kodiak Island in 2012 / 2013 followed by a cape buffalo hunt a couple of years later. But with health and the economy to figure in the 2nd hunt may or may not happen. I know this is the African hunting forum, but I figure more folks on this forum have hunted both. If you were in my situtaion which hunt would you do first.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck - I've hunted both numerous times, and really enjoy both. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Brown Bear. If you can do both, even better! But I would still do the Brown Bear first, but JMO.

I would look at the AK. Peninsula for the bear, and Zim for the buffalo. Good Luck!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks I've been checking out both Kodiak Island (Gus Lamoureux) and the Penninsula. Also checking out Zim and Tanzania (expensive!) for buffalo.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pick the hunt that you dream about the most and then do the other as soon as you can.
I have done a cape buffalo hunt in Zambia and really enjoyed it.
The only problem with Africa is that you want to go back;it seems like one trip to Africa is not enought. If that is a problem?
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first DG hunt was over 20 years ago. It was on the Alaskan peninsula, spring bear, Gus Lamoreaux.

I don't think I've ever been so miserable. The temperature was just above freezing. Alternated sleet/snow. Strong wind. Inside of 2 days, everything in the tent was soaked. Trudging around the tundra in hip waders.

When I finally got the bear in my sights, the only thing I could think of is DON"T MISS!. I wanted the hell out of there.

I've never been back to AK. The next year I went to TZ and haven't looked back. A poor quality African camp beats the hell out of the best American one.

To each their own, but to me it's a no-brainer.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done both.

My first Buffalo was in 2007, and I had intended to hunt the Bear in 2008, although it got moved to 2010.

Both were incredible experiences. Very different areas, different difficulties to overcome, new friends to make and good times.

Alaska is likely to be more physically demanding on you. That and cold is usually more dangerous than heat, especially if you have no choice of waiting it out.

Depends on what you mean by health issues, as to whether or not you want to try both. Alaska will be more demanding, and most African camps can tone it down a notch if you need to. As I see it, you are doing it in the right order if physical ability is your big concern.

Financially, that is a different question. I cannot see anything getting cheaper, and you will need to decide if you can afford both. I think its reasonable to consider the two hunts as being equally expensive for the client. Bear is likely to be more on the hunt end, while buffalo will eat you up with travel, taxidermy and such so that in the end you should be out the same for comparable hunts.

Posts: 10975 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
So JohnDL, did you get a good bear? How was Gus as an outfitter and how was your guide? By the way his hunts on Kodiak are out of cabins and the weather should be a little warmer there than on the Penninsula from what I here, still probably be pretty miserable weather though ...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
From watching the prices on Kodiak bear hunts increase at a very steady rate I would do the bear first. Talking to one of the guides who is a family friend he was turning people away (these people even offered 5-7k more than current asking price)

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian, I probably can scrape up enough money to do a Zim hunt at least I hope so. Tanzania may be out of my reach.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
So JohnDL, did you get a good bear? How was Gus as an outfitter and how was your guide? By the way his hunts on Kodiak are out of cabins and the weather should be a little warmer there than on the Penninsula from what I here, still probably be pretty miserable weather though ...

Chuck.

Nothing bad to say about Gus's operation at all. The guide was good and worked hard. Got a good bear. Also, please correct for windage in that I was raised in Phoenix and lived in Florida. Freezing rain just isn't my cup-o-tea.

I would echo the point that AK is usually more physically demanding.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck375,

I can give you a "post" hunt opinion of which to hunt. In May, 1990, my husband shot a Brown Bear in unit 9E of the Alaska Penninsula with Gary Larose. After the taxidermy was completed, the bear was displayed in the State Police Headquarters where my husband worked. He was mounted in the standing position and the public relations effect he had was amazing. Everyone wanted their photo with the "Trooper Bear". He was even featured in the State Police magazine 10-43.

Now the bear is in our home and other than the life size lion mount, nothing commands the respect and awe of an Alaskan Brown Bear. The cape buffalo mounts barely get a second look.

Good luck on your choice and check Brian Peterson who hunts on Kodiak and Gary Larose on the Penninsula.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks, have already contacted Brian Peterson as well! If you have a picture to post of your husbands bear in it's full standing mount, I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done both. Alaska Pennisula with Larry Rivers(now retired)out of Cold Bay. Lots of bad weather, rained so hard the expedition grade tents leaked throught the zippers. Hip boots, etc. Shot a 9'1" on the 11th day. Loved every minute of it. Do it first, it is not going to get less expensive or more comfortable. Do Zim for Buff then do Zim again, again, and again.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

To me a big brown bear is a more unique trophy than a buffalo. Having said that though a brown bear hunt as a total experience does not hold a candle to a buffalo safari. There is nothing in my mind in NA that matches a safari even a fairly short one of 10 days. I lived in the bush in AK for 22 years and very much enjoyed the hunting there but it is nothing like a safari. So to answer your question I'd do the buffalo first as you never can tell when politics etc. will make Africa out of reach for many. Conversely I think brown bear hunting will be around for long time and in many areas it is better now than it ever was.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, if I do buffalo first, you'll be the first person I contact.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are limiting yourself with only looking at brown bear, if you want a really great experience go try an arctic griz

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I too have done both and would recommend the bear hunt first for three reasons. It is a more physical hunt so you should do it sooner rather than later; bear hunts seem to increase in cost faster than a cape buffalo hunt; and, as Kathi said, the trophy is more awe inspiring.

Now having said that, there is nothing to compare to an African safari for a great experience.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I too have done both and would recommend the bear hunt first for three reasons. It is a more physical hunt so you should do it sooner rather than later; bear hunts seem to increase in cost faster than a cape buffalo hunt; and, as Kathi said, the trophy is more awe inspiring.

Now having said that, there is nothing to compare to an African safari for a great experience.

+1
The bear will require more physical endurance and hardship. Do it before you get older. Old guys can hunt buffalo (and enjoy it more).

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Chuck,

To me a big brown bear is a more unique trophy than a buffalo. Having said that though a brown bear hunt as a total experience does not hold a candle to a buffalo safari. There is nothing in my mind in NA that matches a safari even a fairly short one of 10 days. I lived in the bush in AK for 22 years and very much enjoyed the hunting there but it is nothing like a safari. So to answer your question I'd do the buffalo first as you never can tell when politics etc. will make Africa out of reach for many. Conversely I think brown bear hunting will be around for long time and in many areas it is better now than it ever was.

Mark

Mark - I would agree as it pertains to the total experience of NA hunts vs Africa, with one exception. Without question the greatest total hunting experience I have ever had, was hunting Polar Bear! No hunting I've ever done, compared to that complete experience, JMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went around and around on a similar decision regarding buffalo or a grizzly. I opted for the grizzly (coming May in BC) as I know it will be a more physically demanding hunt having done a NE BC elk/moose hunt in 2008 when I also debated a buff hunt. Also, I believe the time may come too soon when one won't be able to hunt grizzly there while buff's will always be around and basically a near 100% successful hunt. I really enjoy the wilderness hunts in NA. A buff hunt will come in a few years and my aging body will still be more than capable for it.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I've been contemplating your quandry. Let me throw out another option. Think about a trophy bull elephant. That, in my experience, is the greatest hunt on earth. If you hunt with Nixon D'zingai in Zimbabwe, the price is only a few thousand more and definetly worth it!!!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Gus back in 1988 on Kodiak. He is a class act! His Father Frnchy hunted with all the famous hunters of the 1950's, and 60's before he passed. I would hunt Brown bear over anything in the World! I killed a monster bear with him. You will have the time of your life if you hunt with Gus.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

One of my hunting buddies and I have been considering a brown bear hunt for 2012. I finally told him that I was just not that interested in the bear hunt. I am booked for Africa later this year (my 4th). The idea of possibly being cold, damp, and wet for the entire trip just does not have much appeal.
Netiher was I interested in staying in camp for 10-14 days with someone I really did not know.

Just my thoughts.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done both, with a 91/2 Brown Bear from Cold Bay and a fine Buffalo from the Selous. The Bear hunt is a young mans hunt, if that matters, do it first. The Safari is quite the adventure and you can do it when age is not the issue. The weather in Alaska can be quite a challange, but if you have hunted the northern climes of North America you have already experienced some of it. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Aaron please when you have a few minutes over can you do a hunt report on your polar bear trip. Please

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Aaron please when you have a few minutes over can you do a hunt report on your polar bear trip. Please

AD

Yes I would like to read a report, too!!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Well I'm not young (62) and I unfortunately came down with a heart condition last August, but I'm recovering. Before that, I was still hunting elk on foot on public land in Colorado at 11,000 plus feet elevation and packing the elk out myself. So I'm working to see if I can get myself back into that kind of shape. If I can, the brown bear hunt shouldn't be as demanding, if not, that will probably swing things in favor of the cape buffalo hunt. I'm thinking of elephant too!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Chuck375,

I too struggled with the same choice for my father and myself a few years ago. When he (at the age of 70) and I were deciding, it was clear that Africa would be more enjoyable and a bit easier if for no other reason than weather but also because of royal treatment that is part and parcel of African safaris.

During that first safari,my father was and I marvlled at things of which we could only dream but also for the treatment we received. We hadn't yet finished our first safari when he asked me when we were coming back. This is the same guy who three days into a deer hunt will begin to miss my mother and think about heading home early.

We'll be going back to Africa yet again in November when he will be 73.

I would suggest going to Alaska for bear first not fr reasons already stated but because I think once you have had the African experience, you may never want to go through that of an Alaskan.

Having said that, I will someday get to Alaska for that bear, but I won't subject my dad to those rigors.

Good luck - I am sure regardless of which is first, it will be amazing.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I don't mean to diminish anyone's experience but if you shop around a brown bear hunt does not have to be a butt buster. In fact it can be quite easy. I admit that a bear hunt can require some walking and climbing but it doesn't have to. You can camp on a lake and literally kill a very nice bear on the lake shore.

On the other hand a buffalo hunt CAN be a very physical hunt. I had some guys in good shape in the Zambezi valley this last season and they
walked their arses off.I personally followed the same buffalo for hours each of five days before killing him.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I never got to do the polar bear but my guess is because of the uniqueness of the hunt I would have found it equal to any hunt anywhere.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Brown Bear first. As mentioned, the cost is climbing at about $1,000 per year. You'll find more deals on Cape Buffalo than Brown Bear, and there are affordable Buffalo hunts in Australia and Argentina. Certainly not a Cape Buff, but still big bovines that can take a lot of lead, especially the Buff in Australia. Also, there are areas in AK where the Griz grow almost as large as the Brown Bear, and much more color to them.

Have you considered Russia for a Brown Bear? Not only would the experience be large, but you can take a second Bear for a very fair price.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
What Kathi said x 10. I have done both a good many times, I thoroghly enjoyed every African safari I have every done from elephant on down and the mounts are fantastic.BUT nothing commands the respect a BIG Alaskan brown bear trophy gets. I was fortunate to get a great one and even the non hunting people that see it seem shocked at the size. They love the African stuff but they all go back and look at "Sluggo" twice for sure. Do the bear first,suffer the cold,wind,wet and miserable conditions that Alaska offers then do Africa. Both make great memories.
Thanks
Wesley

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Just thinking about the bear hunt - did you consider Kamchatka, or is the Alaska Peninsula the best option?

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Haven't thought about Kamchatka much, air fare, dealin with the Russian Authorities, plus I have security clearances which make Russia kinda problematic ...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Your signature line mentions a certain rifle chambered in 500 Jeffery. You obviously have Africa on the brain.

Go shoot a buffalo with your 500.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:

+1
The bear will require more physical endurance and hardship. Do it before you get older. Old guys can hunt buffalo (and enjoy it more).

I'm with Steve--

IF-- you are going to get a bear--

get it done at a younger age.

Kamchatka and AK were tough, really tough.

Maybe that's why I prefer Buff--

I'm gettin' old and kripped up

and the warmth of Africa

is easier on the body

than the wet and the cold.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I hunted AK Brown Bear a few yrs ago on the AK Pen. It was the hunt I've dreamnt about since I was a young boy....all the dreaming came true & I had "The hunt of a lifetime".

I get a kick out of all the belly-aching about the weather in AK (surely to hell you had to know what you were getting into, I mean your going to AK man!).
When I was there, the weather was the worst the Outfitter had seen in 15yrs, no planes could fly at all, we had non-stop sideways rain, beyond imaginable wind, all of our gear was wet, the tent was wet, my feet were frozen continuously, the guides feet stunk, we ate Mountain house for 6 days, I went through 4 rolls of TP cleaning the lenses on my Binos & Spotter, and we had a bear sniffin the tent one nite.....AND I LOVED EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT. Set your head up prior to going, get the proper gear & you will have your "hunt of a lifetime" too.

I dont neccessarily do these hunts for the particular trophy, nor do I need to shoot the biggest of animals...I do them for the total experience; one which I often reflect upon and hopefully remember til the day I tip over, and that is what I found on my AK hunt & I cannot wait to get back there.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
if you want a really great experience go try an arctic griz

butchloc, do you have a hunt report? I've been thinking alot lately of doing this hunt, and would like to know, what made it such a great experience.

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
A big brown bear can be hunted from a comfortable, luxury yacht in southeast Alaska, where a Boston Whaler is driven up the mouth of a floodplain and the hunter and guide walk to where they sit and wait in a likely place for a bear to show itself. Success rate for the best outfitters is nearly 100%.

If interested, Jimmie C. Rosenbruch has been in the business longer than anyone:

www.glacierguidesinc.com

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Bill, I think you've attached the wrong link. Here is the correct one to Jimmie's site

Rod

Bob Hagel