Notify
Tools

Story and Pics.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK.....here's the story:

Hunt dates: June 21-28
PH: Bobby Hansen Safaris- Mike Watridge was PH for the Limpopo Province and Bobby Hansen for the Free State.
Travel arranged by Kathi at Wild Travel....Orlando-Atlanta-Jo'berg on Delta and return. No problems, typical LONG flight...but at least had my son this time!
Firearms: Me-Weatherby Ultralite in 338-06 with 210 gr TSX bullets at 2690 fps; My son-Ruger RSM in 375 H&H with Federal 260 gr Accubonds. I might add that at 6.25# w/scope, that Ultralite carried REAL easy!....beats that 11# double I usually have in hand.

Well this was my 4th trip to Africa, but my son's (he's 21) first. To say that he was excited would be the world's biggest understatement. The smile never left his face....the flight over and back didn't even bother him. Ahhh....to be 21 again.
We hunted the Limpopo Province for our first 3 days. Weather was typical for the time of year....high 30's at night warming to mid 70's during midday. Mike Watridge hunted us for this area. Although I had met Mike before on a previous trip with Bobby Hansen Safaris, this was the first time I had hunted with him. Excellent PH that made Sean (my son) feel at ease from the start.
Trophies taken in this area included a warthog, gemsbok, and impala for Sean and a zebra for me.
[/IMG]

After our 3 hunting days in Limpopo, we spent an entire day....about 8 hours...driving to our new camp in the Free State. What a difference! We arrived to COLD temps in the 40's and a howling wind. No shorts in this camp. The entire time we spent in the Free State consisted of weather with max temps of about 42* and lows at night in the mid 20's. We even had a morning of freezing rain. Not good for a couple of Florida boys.
Well the terrain of the Free State is A LOT different than Limpopo. It consisted of large open plains and mountains with flat tops with large open plains on top of them. And then steep mountains with thick brush. And rocks....they were everywhere...large, small, didn't matter. Everywhere you stepped were rocks.
Shots taken here were much further.....shortest being 140 yards on my waterbuck and the longest being nearly 300 for my son's springbok and my black widebeest.

The most difficult game we havested was the pair of Blesbuck......we spent nearly 10 hours one day up the mountains, across the ridges and beyond to finally take the 2 shown. My son and I were both flat worn out by days end.
All in all a fantastic trip. My son is hopelessly hooked on Africa so I told him to finish his education (he's a junior in college) so he can AFFORD to come back!
Of course he's now talking about the species he didn't take on this trip and of course the next step....cape buffalo.

Some of the best time we have spent together....and memories I'll keep forever.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....I see I got the mountain reedbuck in there twice......sorry.

BUT, it does give me the chance to say that the waterbuck had 10.5" bases and measured 32" in length....a big boy!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful waterbuck! Thanks for the report.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed yourselves, got some nice animals especially that waterbuck.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip. I know it was special with your son. Congrats! Beautiful trophies...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS to you and your son!!! The memories will last a lifetime.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Excellent trophies. Sounds like a great trip. You are a fortunate father and son-- Congratulations.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
The big smiles say a lot. Congrats to you and your son.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your son - awesome hunt by the look of it.

The quality of your pics are incredible. What/who/how did you get such great pics???

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies. Congratulations to your son on his first African hunt.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Memories made for a life time!!!! Great trophies too.

Is that an AR hat you are wearing?

D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Gary!

I am looking forward to doing the same thing this year with my oldest. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GarBy, Congrats on the hunt. BTW nice waterbuck! Big Grin

It is neat to hunt with your kid! Today is the 1st anniversery of leaving last summer to hunt in the Limpopo. I'm having severe withdrawals! Roll Eyes Big Grin

Hopefully we can go back in 2011. Nothing like that 1st trip, though.

Again, Congrats! clap

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. Your report brings back memories of my hunt with my two sons. Memories that will last a life time.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of wildthang
posted Hide Post
You must be really proud, your son's smile says it all. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Great photos and meomories. Very nice.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you and your son Gary. Nothing like taking your son.

Posts: 11992 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Well done. Congratulations on a successful safari!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary a big congrats to both of you!!! clap

I took my 19 yr old son with me last year a first for the both of us!

Its a memory of a lifetime and there aren't too many days that go by that we don't talk about it...

Its changed our lives for sure as father and son... thumb

Congrats again!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good hunt Gary, your son's smile looks permanent. Take care and keep in touch.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garby, great photos, trophies and most of all memories with your son that you'll both have for a lifetime.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS GENTS!!! The smiles are still plastered on our faces and my son has been chatting the ear off of his roommates about the hunt.

Harvey, the camera is a little pocket Casio Exilim....and yes it takes awesome photos on the fine setting.

D....yes an AR hat! I wore it except for some of the pics where I "advertised" for Bobby Hansen Safaris a touch.

Any of you that have thought about taking you son/daughter...DO IT! Even if it means that you take a bit less due to the cost. The experience is one that cannot be described accurately to someone. And yes, as some have stated, my relationship with my son, while great prior to the trip, has been enhanced incredibly.
Thanks again for all of your kind words and comments.....it means a lot.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Way to go!

The only thing better than hunting Africa is hunting Africa with your son.

Do you have your next trip planned yet?

Good hunting,

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!!! Beauty of a Waterbuck!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Outstanding waterbuck! Sounds like a great hunt and you got to share it with your son.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote