THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Elephant charge on tracks across africa ... the story behind it..PHOTO ADDED
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant charge on tracks across africa ... the story behind it..PHOTO ADDED
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
I appreciate the behind-the-scenes story about what actually happened. You just can't get that in a 20 minute show where only 5 minutes is devoted to the actual hunt! And a second or third on the well-done and outstanding shot under pressure...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Well done, my friend; excellent shooting. Exceptional video work by Doug. Stay well.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Great story and well told Ivan! Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Unfortunately, this just makes it harder on us Canadians that aren't able to watch the damn show! Hopefully it will be available on DVD sooner than later.

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!
I would new pants or a new body after that.

Too bad you were not using the bow and arrow the guy had on his post here recently.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
how we got into this Obama crap!

Bill,

I am an about as "far-right-winged-conservative-REPUBLICAN-Obama-disliking-person" as anyone on this list-serv I assure you.

Just had a question. Legitimate in my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

I would assume Ivan knows I was just kidding. Sometimes I over do the subtle thing!

...........YA think? jumping

Will I think most here know your sense of humor, and don't find it a bad thing! Don't change because if you did I'd be the only one left to cuss! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
quote:
Now that is up close and personal. Ivan, in hindsight would you have preferred to been carrying your .577?

mike , i am very very familiar with my .450 , and i truly believe its all about shot placement , even if the first shot had dropped the bul it was a fraction of a second before the second shot and so i am not sure that it would have made a difference , as anton points out the extra recoil could have made the second shot take longer !

Now folks here is a man with some true big game experience, and who understands the use of double rifles, both their value, and some of their draw-backs! There are times when bigger is not always better, it's knowing how to use what you have. Wink

By the way Ivan that was a very close call, and though I didn't see the film, your description was very clear, and makes me wish I had been there! GOOD SHOW Bwana! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Now that is up close and personal. Ivan, in hindsight would you have preferred to been carrying your .577?

mike , i am very very familiar with my .450 , and i truly believe its all about shot placement , even if the first shot had dropped the bul it was a fraction of a second before the second shot and so i am not sure that it would have made a difference , as anton points out the extra recoil could have made the second shot take longer !

Ivan, neglected to ask, what ammo were you using in the .450? Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
mike ,
i was using hornady DGS bullets

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
ledvm ,
by the way i am not offended by your question at all ..

you will notice as you watch any footage of me approaching elephants , its always done with a lot of explanation of brain position , early in the hunt , i will approach as many elephants as it takes to make a guy comfortable and seeing as the frontal brain shot is likely to be the shot , there is no way to present this shot without the elephant knowing of obnes prescence ...what is not seen generally on the shows is the COUNTLESS approaches where we look from a distance and completely leave the elephants alone ...on average it usually takes between 100 to 300 bulls seen before we shoot and of those i perhaps approach five to te with any given client...

most of the time as soon as i am close enough to see that the bulls are not worth takimg , we back off and leave them completely unaware that we were even there ..unfortunatel this does not make great footage and so although its all filmed , not much makes the final ct ..

i agree wholeheartedly its not good to disturb an animal without reason and as soon as we have done a few approaches and a guy is comfortable, we look from a lot further back ..

while i have recently had very bad luck with people making perfect frontal brain shots , i believe it would be even worse if the first elephant a guy ever got close to was the one he was going to shoot.

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
people ,
thank you very much for the positive comments. I appreciate it.

Will , i am hurt and confused... and psychologically scarred Wink

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

i was using hornady DGS bullets

thumb

Ivan,

Any idea what velocity you get with them in your rifle? I shot some in my .450 NE this morning and was getting around 2050 fps.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
It doesn't get much closer to disaster than that--Great Pict and "Well Done!"

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ivan: As they say: "A picture is worth ONE THOUSAND WORDS!" In this case, let's change that to TEN THOUSAND!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good show Ivan!!

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
mike i havent chronographed them ,2050 is exactly what they should be... i will do some and let you know ...it will have to be later in the year as i have left my rifle in africa this time ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Us poor folk don't have cable or them satellites but in that photo I can't tell whether you are aiming or running. Smiler

Mighty lucky shot as there was a heap of elephant trunk and assorted stuff to go through to reach the brain.

It's all fun and games, after the fact, but I suspect you are lucky to be alive.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
That's the most increadible hunting picture I ever saw.... Eeker Eeker Eeker

Honestly, I am speechless, it needs to be a real pro to manage a situation like that Eeker

And for the chap that it's taping side by side with you..well, he deserves also an award for his job commitment (sp?).

My hat off to all those pro making us possible to live our dreams.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
That's the most increadible hunting picture I ever saw.... Eeker Eeker Eeker

Honestly, I am speechless, it needs to be a real pro to manage a situation like that Eeker

And for the chap that it's taping side by side with you..well, he deserves also an award for his job commitment (sp?).

My hat off to all those pro making us possible to live our dreams.

L

I second every word that Lorenzo said. Then I'll add: "Look, he is a lefty!" Big Grin

Sue wish someone will make that show available on a DVD! Any such hope?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet it will be featured in Boddington's next elephant hunting DVD.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
Thanks for the dialog! Hope to meet you in person some day. Again, that was damn good shooting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IVAN I am shocked and amazed by what I see in that picture. I didn't know that you were left handed. Wink

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Ivan, Any chance you could put a strip of that film on your website so those of us that do not have access to Tracks Across Africa could see it?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Ivan, amazing story and photo, thanks.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ivan, that my friend as we say in Naval Aviation, are BALLS OF BRASS! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Wow, you are one cool dude under pressure Ivan! thumb

And lucky too, not many of us get to have our moments-of-glory captured for all the world to see! Well, I guess there is always Photoshop for the rest of us. And ditto on the positive comments about the cameraman, not only did he stand his ground but he must be pretty darn fast! [note to self, if/when hunting elephant with Ivan, to avoid making my-elephant our-elephant, either (a) don't blow the first shot, or (b) work on my 800-meter times]

Thanks for posting, much can be learned from your experiences, and I appreciate you sharing the stories and pictures.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very sexy Ivan! When you write your books we will all know there was no embellishment in the stories.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mighty lucky shot as there was a heap of elephant trunk and assorted stuff to go through to reach the brain.

will , i looked carefully , as you can imagine after the shot and found that my first shot went over the brain by about an inch ...( i pushed a cleaning rod in there) , the second shot went through the brain and made a hole in the back of the brain case , it travelled through about 2 feet of meat , and close to a foot of bone, about 9 inches of brain matter and then ten inches of muscle in the neck . we took the bullet out of the neck muscle above the third vertebrae.

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I was just about to ask in a PM if you guys traced the first one. I didn't want to embarrass you publicly if it had missed the brain by more than an inch!!

I figured maybe it had been on the right trajectory but got stopped along the way. Penetration was good enough, eh? Smiler

Good morning.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good morning.

why the unusual niceties ...what happenend last night or shouldnt i ask !!!!

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Very sexy Ivan!

Ivan,

I figger Good Morning is good enough. I ain't going as far as Ann. Smiler

And I'm still betrothed to Buzzer, or at least that's what he professes.

hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
As said previously. Thank you for the great video and taking the time to share.
You are the Man!
Jim

Posts: 119 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
Awesome story and picture! Is there a video of this that I can watch online somewhere? I missed it on the TV!

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, you are simply the best PH in modern African hunting history! Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge with those of us that will never have the opportunity to share a camp with you.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote