THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Through the years...The Hulme family: 4 generations of outdoorsmen
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Through the years...The Hulme family: 4 generations of outdoorsmen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted
Thought you might be interested in this collection I am putting together. This is only a small part of it.

Dave

My grandfather Robin Hulme (father's father) with a leopard he shot in 1950. He was a keen hunter who hunted Rhodesia extensively, as well as central Africa.

My dad, George, and his brother Jonny, with another cat taken by my grandfather.

Robin on Bazaruto Island,Mozambique in 1950 something with a fresh catch...He was also a keen fisherman

My dad, Bazaruto

Dad and Jonny, Bazaruto

My brother Jonathan and a leopard shot by dad on Devuli Ranch (now the Save Conservancy) in 1972. Standing to the side is Jonathan's minder, Thirteen, a fine man who did much to influence Jonny's early years.

My brother with a few ranch hands and another leopard shot by dad

My sister, Janna, with a tranquilized leopard, Ruware, Chiredzi River Conservancy, during the 1990's

Jonathan and his sons, Nicholas (your left) and Daniel, with a leopard taken by one of his clients on Chishakwe in the Save Conservancy, 2002. Chishakwe was previously Devuli Ranch Headquarters, where the leopards pictured above were shot by dad.

Daniel and Nicholas with their minder and mentor, Clever, and an unidentified friend

Daniel's first wildebeeste

Nick's first wilde. How's that for an excellent shot!

Clever and Nicholas stalking something

Daniel hunting in Chewore, Zambezi Valley, with his other uncle, Ivan Carter. Pictured with Dan is Ivan's client, also unidentified

Daniel hunting...

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
GREAT PICTURES !!!

No doubt it's a family of great hunters, It really impressed me how early they are taken the boys in their hunting trips.

Nice family to have been born in thumb

Send more.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great collection of pictures and memories!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
All I got to hunt were rabbits and squirrels when I was a kid! I guess that's the difference between growing up in Ohio and growing up in Zimbabwe. Great pictures.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Good history.

John

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Family, Africa, Ranching and Hunting. What a wonderful bunch of experiences and memories that must be!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello

Yes these nephews of mine are truly blessed to be growing up as they are. Here are some more pictures of them hunting with their uncle Ivan Carter on Lemco. Ivan needed to do pre-baiting for a big safari, and he took the boys along to do it for him. It was a wonderful opportunity for Dan and Nick and they learnt a great deal about hunting and bushcraft from Ivan. They camped out for four days, had a ball hunting impala and giraffe, and learning baiting techniques. Perfect way for kids to grow up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing those. I can't wait to see your country first hand.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
And my country cannot wait to host you Sir

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Dave, if everyone in your country is as polite and kind as you, I may have to dragged out.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
We are only polite to fellow hunters, and cowboys of course. We are very fond of American hunters in particular, as many of them think just like us. And, of course, we would not be here and my nephews would not be experiencing what they are without the support of international huntsmen. Furthermore, for your information, Texans are very popular in certain circles here. Many of us actually wish Zim was a part of Texas. I've never been to Texas (or the US for that matter), but I have heard much about it and met many fine people from there. When I do finally make it to the US, you can be sure that a visit to the great state of Texas will be high on the agenda. Thanks for the compliment, you are going to have a great time on your safari, I'm certain.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
David, what is the correct pronunciation of your last name?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice Dave. Thanks. Your post puts a lot of things into perspective.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Steve, my name is pronounced Hume - silent L.

Use Enough Gun, thank you Sir.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of thebrewcrew
posted Hide Post
David, we haven't met, but I am Dr. Tim's hunting partner, and we hunted with your brother in 2006 (a large group of 6 hunters at Sango). When Dr. Tim came home with your book in 2005, I promptly absconded and devoured it. Reluctantly, I returned it to him. I hope you write many more books! And thanks for sharing these cool pictures.

"He who goes unarmed in paradise
had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Posts: 33 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Furthermore, for your information, Texans are very popular in certain circles here. Many of us actually wish Zim was a part of Texas.

Dave-- I gotta find one of those circles, we Texans find ourselves in a lot of places that we aren't very popular.LOL

When, not if, you make it to Texas, I'd be damn proud to stand you to a cold one or six.

The way things are going here in the U.S. I am thinkin maybe we ought to partner up and straighten this stuff out.

If you where to get a crowd of Rhodesians and Texans lined out in the right direction I think some things could get taken care of........and it sure would be fun to watch.

But man somebody would have to buy a bunch of beer.

Our hunting would probably bore you to death, though our saltwater fishing is pretty tough to beat.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Man, when you see the boys with Uncle Ivan, it makes you want to be one of them. How fun would that be!? "Boys, we're getting close, but not close enough, yet. . . . ." clap

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Thanks. lovely pics.

It seems to me that if a young Hulme is tall as 2/3 third of a rifle he/she will be send out to the bush. BOOM

What is the age for a young Rhodesian to go hunting?

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Those are great David. I met Ivan and Jon last year. Both great guys. I look forward to meeting you in the near future.
Cheers,
David K

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6820 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
David,

Did Jonathan ever tell you that we are related through a common ancestor back in England?

George Hulme was born in 1514 in England and died in 1558. His son Robert Holmes Hulme, born in 1555, is a direct decendant to my grandmother on my mother's side of the family. So you and Jonathan are distant cousins.

It is funny that I found this out after my first trip to Hammond. The odd thing is, I felt so at home with your parents who I had never met before. It also probably explains why I love to hunt with Jonathan! Two distant cousins out in bush making war with the jumbos...kind of has the makings of a book don't you think???

It truly is a small world.

TJB

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
David
I hope you can make it to the DSC Show soon. I met Jonathan last year and he was a pleasure to trade stories with. Looking forward to hunting with you guys in the near future.

Cheers!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. I also look forward to meeting you all in the not too distant future. It will not be this time around, I'm afraid, but I do have my sights set firmly on 2010. I am putting a hunting book together at the moment, and I shall have it and very possibly one other at the 2010 show(s). This current project is turning out to be more involved than I expected and taking more time than I thought it would. But I am not going to rush its publication - I intend getting it as good as I possibly can. For years I have put a trip to the US on hold, but at some point next year I shall definitely be visiting your country. I intend leaving well before the convention, for publishing/printing purposes. I can't wait to visit the US and am sure it's all going to be a bit of a mindblow. Truth told, I have never been out of Africa! Ha, ha. That situation shall be rectified soon.

Welcome to the family Dr Tim! Well, you know that you and yours are always welcome in any Hulme household, whether we are distant cousins or not. But that information about us having common ancestory is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that, it is indeed a small world. We all look forward to seeing you again soon Dr Tim, have you re-scheduled for that big ele bull yet? My parents send their best regards.

Cheers, Dave

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Dave,

By the way, I am working it out on the ele hunt. I may see you and George sooner than later!

TJB

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pictures! Nice to see such a great hunting tradition. thumb

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
David ,very nice pictures,i like a lot seeing kids hunting and shooting ,here in Argentina in rural towns a lot of kids grew up with a rifle in hand ,most of them began with air rifles.
My son aids ,me in the hunting business and a lot of clients prefer him because of his incredible eyesigth ,last nigth he coulndt came and we lost 2 boars with spanish hunters.
He competed in a IPSC rifle match recently with a 308 and finished 3rd overall ,see south american forum ,he will like a lot to exchage mails and photos with your kids .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Juan,

Kids here are brought up the same as in Argentina - with rifle in hand, beginning with an air rifle. My nephews are already much better marksmen than me!

On a different note... Did you know that I have many relatives in Argentina, on my mother's side of the family? I have never met them but they are there. One of them is Natalie Goodall who studies whales somewhere close to Tierra del Fuego, I think. My great, great granfather, Thomas Bridges, was a missionary who spent his life in Argentina with the Yagan Indians. He actually translated the Yagan language to English and published the first Yagan dictionary. I believe there is a range of mountains named for him somewhere in Argentina. His sons, Lucas and Despard, built up quite a ranching empire in Argentina, which was expanded to Africa after the first world war. In fact, Lucas Bridges was the first white man to permanently settle the lowveld of what was then Rhodesia, in 1918, at what was then Devuli Ranch (now the Save Conservancy). My great grandfather, Despard, built the first house on Devuli in 1922 (I think), and it remains the main homestead to this day. Lucas Bridges wrote an incredible book about Argentina entitled 'The Uttermost Part of the Earth', published by Hodder and Stoughton.

Sorry to bore you, just thought you'd be interested in this, coming from the Argentine and all...

Best regards and happy hunting Juan

Dave

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Juan

My email address is hulmour@yahoo.com
If you drop me a line with your son's address, I shall pass it on to my nephews. I know they would be very happy to make contact with young hunters from other parts of the world.

Dave

posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure to hunt with Jonny 3 times, met his lovely wife and met his children, actually Daniel was with us when I got my Buffalo in a unforgetable hunt.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful pictures.
Can't wait to get back to Zim.
Cheers

Posts: 8 | Location: Boston MA USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics! May I ask what Sauer rifle is used for the wildebeest?

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hallgeir Gravrok
posted Hide Post
Fantastic picture, and a lucky couples of kid that can grow up with the hunting and wildlife.

Wish I were there

Posts: 78 | Location: Norway | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Dave, Missed this one first time around.
Great pictures..Thanks for posting them.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Oh how I wish that my dad and grandpa's took more and better pictures back in the day. I am very anal and took pictures pictures and more pictures. I love seeing the old ones. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
awesome photos. thanks for sharing

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reviving this Efrain, I guess it was you?

jaegerfrank, sorry I can't help with info on the rifle now but will ask my big brother when I next speak with him.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I love these pictures. I must do - have taken enough abuse about them from airheads on facebook!

Cheers, David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, thank you for the pictures. I am headed to hunt Arda camp in August for Leopard and a pile of anything else I can get in my crosshairs. I am looking forward to it. If your around feel free to come for a visit.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT PHOTOS!
We're headed for Arda in July 2013, that's just too durn far away.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
GREAT PHOTOS!
We're headed for Arda in July 2013, that's just too durn far away.

Cecil, just to tease you, here is one of the new bore hole pans ZH established on ARDA. This was in Nov. 2011 when most all of the other water was gone.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Papa Hulme, ARDA 2010. A veritable encyclopedia for information on Zim, the war, the Save Cons, flora, fauna, politics, geneology, weather, and any number of other topics. Fine fellow. Fine family.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
nube, bwana cecil, glad you like the pictures, wishing you success on your up and coming hunts, hope to meet you when you're here. Will, you're looking attentive there!

Cheers, David