Find
Notify
Tools

Gordon Cundill passing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted
Odd there was no mention of his passing on any of the various Africana forums that I saw. RIP

https://www.pressreader.com/so...0601/282638919752151

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Gordan. I never met Gordan but always admired his work as a PH and an author.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damn. I, too, am surprised it wasn’t shared. Thanks for the info and RIP Gordon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
RIP Gordan. I never met Gordan but always admired his work as a PH and an author.

+1

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have his book on lion hunting and read it some years back. Well written and interesting He lived a full and adventurous life. May we all. RIP Mr. Cundhill.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP to another African legend, Mr Cundhill.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 682 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
Thanks for posting this news. I enjoyed reading Fragments of Africa and have A Hunter's Africa on my shelf waiting to be read.

I also liked Fragments. I saw it at a used book store for 10$, opened it and saw it was signed by Gordon. Good find!

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I had e-mail/corresponded with him back in 2001 quite a bit. I had a client that Gordon had hunted quite a bit with. I had seen my clients photo in A Hunters Africa. A google search found a Gordon Cundill Safaris in Phoenix Arizona.... not sure he immigrated to the states from SA, perhaps it was his agent.....

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In a nice turn of phrase, the author of this obituary wrote, " . . . he was called away on the eternal safari."

As all of us who love to hunt in Africa will be, too, sooner or later, or at least we hope.

Sad news. RIP.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13410 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed with Gordon shortly after he had a collision with a Buff in Botswana. A gentlemen and an accomplished storyteller. RIP, Gordon. A privilege knowing you.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I did not know of him until now. What an amazing life. I believe I will try to find his works.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3434 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The first time I ever heard of him was the Captstick Botswana VHS series with Ken Wilson of Sportsmen on Film.

Then when I finally got around to reading Capstick's book (I think it was Sands of Silence) he is featured in there as well.

I have never read his own books. I believe he is a Lawyer type. But I don't know if that was true.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Look for "Some Lions I have Met."

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to open the link?

Gordon was a character and often came to Seattle around SCI time. Close friend of Renee Mills, General Travel, and some of our NW Chapter members....Schwablands, Papac, Cotten, Klineburgers....

He was General Manager of HUNTERS AFRICA when we hunted in Botswana, Chobe River and 2 other camps in 1984 with PH John Northcote. He showed up in camps several times, once with Peter Capstick in tow!! Great campfire stories and memories!!

Gordon was recovering from another road excursion at the time... seems he drove under a Giraffe that was standing in the road and took the top off the Land Rover!!...and nearly his head... he was very lucky with that one!!!.....still a bit shaken from the incident when he visited!!

Sad, another great passes.. may you Rest in Peace Bwana!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2575 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
The first time I ever heard of him was the Captstick Botswana VHS series with Ken Wilson of Sportsmen on Film.

Then when I finally got around to reading Capstick's book (I think it was Sands of Silence) he is featured in there as well.

I have never read his own books. I believe he is a Lawyer type. But I don't know if that was true.

Sands of Silence is with Volker Grellman in Namibia.

Peter Capstick's Africa is with Gordon when Peter hunts lion. That is my favorite of Peter's books, Sands is second.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad news. I just ordered his book, "Some Lions I Have Met". They are kind of hard to find and will get scarcer.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Very sad news. I just ordered his book, "Some Lions I Have Met". They are kind of hard to find and will get scarcer.

Always wanted to read that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9877 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Gordon a number of times in the past, one time with Peter Capstick. That was a great privilege and he was a true gentleman and had a great sense of humour. The hunting world is a poorer place without him. I have Some Lions I have Met and
A Hunter's Africa. Both good reads.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
RIP Gordon, the hunting fields will be ever empty without you! CRYBABY

One of my favorite scenes on film is Gordon and Capstick taking five shots from Capstick's bolt 375 H&H, and four from Gordon's 458 Win Mag double,on a lion that stopped at their feet! I still have that film, but haven't viewed it in years.
Both men are gone now, but were great friends in the hunting fields of Africa. Now they can hunt the happy hunting grounds together once more!

.......................................R.I.P old friends! oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

One of my favorite scene on film is Gordon and Capstick taking five shots from Capstick's bolt 375 H&H, and four from Gordon's 458 Win Mag double,on a lion that stopped at their feet! I still have that film, but haven't viewed it in years.
Both men are gone now, but were great friends in the hunting fields of Africa. Now they can hunt the happy hunting grounds together once more!

That is on film? I thought the 6-video set was the entirety of the Capstick videos. The ace you describe is the opening of “Peter Capstick’s Africa”.

I’d love to see that film...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

One of my favorite scene on film is Gordon and Capstick taking five shots from Capstick's bolt 375 H&H, and four from Gordon's 458 Win Mag double,on a lion that stopped at their feet! I still have that film, but haven't viewed it in years.

That is on film? I thought the 6-video set was the entirety of the Capstick videos. The ace you describe is the opening of “Peter Capstick’s Africa”.

I’d love to see that film...

My mistake! you are correct, the actual scene was not on film, but was a description, on sound track cassette, by Capstick that I have on tape that was given to me at the Dallas Safari show, by Capstick. That has been many years ago because Capstick has been dead for several years. He died the next year, when he got sick at the show, and left early. I too would like to see that on film, but the description was stunning and it seems I actually saw the happening. Sorry about the miss memory mistake. We must remember I will be 84 years old this April 5th, and I have seen a lot of African hunting film in my life and memory is not what it once was!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote